BREAKING NEWS: Strickland calls on PUCO to halt lightbulb program

Published: Wed, October 7, 2009 @ 5:07 p.m.

photo

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland (D-Lisbon)

COLUMBUS — Gov. Ted Strickland has called on the Public Utilities Commission to postpone a light bulb program being implemented by First Energy following a public outcry over the costs and methodology involved.

In a letter sent late Wednesday afternoon to PUCO, Strickland wrote that his office had received "a very high volume of calls" following media reports of First Energy's plans.

"Ohioans are confused and angry and are looking for answers," he wrote. "First, the bulb program has been thrust upon them without their approval or prior knowledge.

Second, it is my understanding that two bulbs will be provided at a cost in excess of $21. It is common knowledge that the efficient bulbs can be purchased for significantly less at popular retail outlets. Third, I am interested to know if there are any U.S. suppliers of these bulbs, or if First Energy had considered the use of bulbs manufactured in the United States."

He added, "Since First Energy's program is under the purview of the PUCO, I am asking that you provide to me and members of the General Assembly answers to these questions and more details as to how these programs were developed."

First Energy received approval from the PUCO last month to move forward with the plan, providing 3.75 million compact fluorescent light bulbs to residential customers.

Those same customers will pay about 60 cents extra on their electric bills per month for the next three years. The company says the bulbs will save customers about $60 over a five- to seven-year period.

The news comes after a day of consternation in newspapers, on radio talk shows and on Internet Web sites concerning the program. Other area politicians seized on the opposition.

State Rep. Tom Letson, D-Warren, issued a statement Wednesday, saying, in part "I support promoting renewable energy sources, but First Energy’s light bulb program is neither effective nor fair. By charging all customers a hidden fee to pay for these bulbs, customers already using CFL’s are being unfairly punished with higher electric bills. And it is even more disturbing that First Energy is charging customers more than the retail price of these bulbs."

State Sen. Joe Schiavoni, D-Canfield, said he was "unsettled" by FirstEnergy’s plan.

“I don’t believe the action being taken by FirstEnergy is what the legislature had in mind with Senate Bill 221," he said in his statement. "I was not in office during the time of the vote, but I strongly disagree with forcing consumers to pay more than double the cost for the bulbs."

For more see Thursday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Comments

1pci510(105 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

If you all ready have the fluorescent light bulbs you should not have to pay a second time to have these First Energy Bulbs at a higher cost than people can afford to pay. We also find that more expensive bulbs have a smaller time frame and have to be replaced more often so we use a lesser costing fluorescent light bulb which has lasted over 6 years. Posted by Derick

2yeahright(20 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

As we all know, the PUCO is owned by the utilities. Also, If you go to Home Depot, you can get a 4 pack of lights for as little as $9.00. By the way, NONE of the CFL's are made in the USA, ALL are imported from CHINA due to environmental issues.

3AnotherBadIdea(2 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Once again peopel are taking advantage of the average person. A six pack of these bulbs cost $13.85 at Wal-Mart. If I am forced to take these I will short my bill until they come out and shut off the power.

The head of the PUCO should be fired for even thinking this was a good idea. So, the real question is who is making the profit and who is on the take, once again.

4AnotherBadIdea(2 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Ok, some simple math. If the Wal-Mart price is correct. 6pk for $13.85 or $2.30 per bulb. Let's say they are making a 20% profit. This means Wal-Mart is making $2.77 on a 6pk of bulbs or 46 cents per bulb. This means the cost of the bulb is $1.84, which is actully alot less because this includes Wal-Mart cost to do business.

Ohio Edison or the PUCO, whoever, wants to charge us $10.50 per bulb. Using the $1.84 cost, these people want to make a profit $8.66 per bulb. On 3.75 million bulbs the profit is $32,475,000.

Now who's getting this?

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

"Strickland did something right?"

He had a fear of the voters . Capri Cafaro needs reviewed at elction time also . She could care less that this was going down .

6NachoCheese(163 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Wow! You won't catch me saying this a lot I think - but "Strickland did something right!" ... gotta give credit where credit is due.

The CF bulbs are a good idea. What is a BAD idea is making me pay quadruple for them when I already use them to begin with and not giving me any say-so in how you are not only spending, but wasting, my money. I don't know if they make these bulbs in the US or not - if not, they should - you can't cry about the competition if there is no alternative offered - but definitely make sure.

Nice job Gov. ... for a change.

7dubfun(174 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

First Energy had to make up for the shortfall in income due to the fact that people are already using conservation measures. Thus the 3.5 million dollar profit from the CFL's mentioned above by AnotherBadIdea. I hope First Energy has already purchased these bulbs and has to eat them. (Maybe that's a bad idea, the mercury contained in the bulbs would loosen a few more of their screws!) Better yet, Governer Strickland should suggest that First Energy be forced to provide the bulbs to customers for no charge. Yeah, that's the ticket!

8dubfun(174 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Also, I guess there is a logic in PUCO's and F.E.'s plan. They are charging us $21 to save $60 over the next 5 to 7 years. So we are actually only saving $39 ($60 minus $21). So if we save $39 over seven years, that's a savings of less than $6 per year. That's a savings of less than fifty cents a month. I guess it's time to buy that new house and send the kids to Harvard on the savings. I'm glad I'm going to see Jeff Dunham tonight, I really need a laugh!