Man faces charges in beating of toddler

Published: Tue, November 17, 2009 @ 12:09 a.m.

By Elise Franco

Police said the girl’s beating resulted in damage to her brain and other organs.

AUSTINTOWN — The condition of a 23-month-old girl who police say was beaten repeatedly by her mother’s boyfriend is listed as fair in Akron Children’s Hospital.

Timothy White, 29, was arraigned Monday morning on one count of felonious assault and three counts of child endangering.

White was arrested Friday afternoon by township police outside his Compass West apartment, where he lived with the girl and her mother.

Detective Sgt. Ray Holmes said White caused the child serious injury over an undetermined period of time.

The detective said the child had brain damage, a broken rib, stomach bleeds, damage to her liver and adrenal glands, second-degree burns on her genitals, foot and finger — and hemorrhaging in one eye that he said is a potential sign of shaken baby syndrome.

“Her doctor said because there is new blood and old blood, some of the trauma could be between five and 20 days old,” Holmes said. “She’s had at least six seizures [since Friday], and she can’t speak now.”

Holmes said the girl’s mother probably won’t be charged, and he said she didn’t know the extent of what was going on.

“She really bought [White’s] excuses on several small things,” he said. “But I think it’s setting in now.”

White had told the girl’s mother that some of the injuries happened after she fell and hit her head once on a floor and once when a car door swung open, according to a police report.

The original report was filed Wednesday as a personal-injury report.

The girl was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown on Wednesday after White told police he noticed she kept falling asleep. She was taken to Akron Children’s Hospital later that day. Her condition was updated from critical to fair Monday night.

White is in Mahoning County jail on $500,000 bond and is scheduled for a pretrial hearing at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Mahoning County Area Court in Austintown.

efranco@vindy.com

Comments

1bigmetz(7 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

i got an idea, let me and a few chosen others, loose and pull the shaken big boy syndrome on this coward. it takes an awful big coward to perform theese kinda acts on a toddler. and also theese types of acts on innocent children makes me sick and makes me want to rage against theese types of cowards.

2Siouxi(122 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

That poor little girl.
Charge the "mother", too. She didn't know? What kind of mother doesn't know her child? Surely, the child was terrified of this POS - couldn't she see it? And how could you accept lame excuses over & over as to how the baby received her injuries and NOT be suspicious?
Spay & neuter both of them; neither of them should ever reproduce again. That poor kid will probably be brain damaged, not to mention psychologically scarred. Her little life will not be what it could have been. Where is the baby's father? Does this woman even know who the father is? I'm guessing not, since she allowed a low life waste of skin to live in her home, and nearly kill her daughter.
Children are so precious, innocent and trusting. People who harm children are monsters.

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Timothy White was coddled by the system during his long criminal history . He was out of control . If he was still in prison this little girl would not have been hurt . The mother knew that he was recently released from prison . His long criminal history was also known . The mother's poor jundgement in mate selection will now cause that little girl problems the rest of her life .

4mother23(7 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

MOTHERS: PROTECT YOUR PRECIOUS CHILDERN!!!! I was horrified to see on the front page today, yet ANOTHER child tortured and beaten at the hands of the mother's bad choice for a "man" in her life. DISGUSTING..... I pray for this poor girl, who isn't even 2 yet, but knows more horror than anyone should have to endure in a lifetime.

NO excuses. Too many adults who are given the privilege to care for children are failing miserably. If someone was going to try and hurt one of my children, it would literally have to be over my dead body. WE MUST DO BETTER TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN!!!!!

5Lifesnadir(164 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Tell me, just HOW in God's name can second-degree burns on a 23-month-old baby's genitals be explained away to a MOM ????? Oh my God, the thought of this kind of TORTURE makes my stomach turn! What did he do, use her privates as an ashtray? how did he inflict those kind of injuries??? Please let me on this tormentor's jury---I'd love to restrain him while a flame is brought toward HIS genitals.

God this story makes me sick!

I'll say it AGAIN, single moms, you MUST have more self-respect and more maternal protection for your kids! NO MAN SHOULD TORTURE YOU OR YOUR BABIES! Get help if you are in an evil situation like this. YOU must take action before your kids are maimed or killed.

I really hope the news updates us on this baby's struggle to recover.

6boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I hope they sentence him to death and behead him with rusty bread knife in a public forum.

7teenie(5 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

This is one time i wish i was a male. I think i would commit a crime just to get locked up with this a--hole, I have a 3 yr old grandchild and cant imagine anything this hideous happening and not do anything about it, whats wrong with single mothers these days, you dont have to let jail birds or abusive men live under your roof respect your children dont bring men home and leave your children with them. I will keep this child and all children in my prayers

8grannygeorge12(1 comment)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I am originally from the Steubenville, Ohio area but moved to Virginia Beach, Va. years ago. We have this same problem down here. It is all over the United States. It is not only the Mothers having losers for boyfriends but also the Mother starving the child. We have a very transcent area here because of the military. We have had a father go to sea for 3 wks and then come home to his twins dying and he says he knows nothing about it. The twins were slowly dying while he played video games weeks before and his wife didnt feed the children. The courts need to be stricter on letting these excons out and the mothers need to take care of their children. There is nothing closer than a mother and her child. Stop producing if you cannot take care of a child that did not ask to be in this world. Both mother and boyfriend should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The judicial system gives more rights to the guilty than to the innocent.

9Askmeificare(680 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Mothers and Family members need to protect their families!!!! This is not butt spanking for discipline, this is far beyond abuse and merits attempted murder charges.

God Speed Justice System!

10jrolley325(784 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Lifesnadir, its possible that the burns could have come from a very bad diaper rash. Perhaps her diaper wasn't changed very often and the rash wasn't treated. Just a possibility. I'd hate to think any human being would actually put an actual flame to someone like that.

11ytowngramma(39 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully he gets what he deserves in prison, although I doubt he will suffer as much as this poor child.

12Celeste(13 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

HANG 'EM HIGH! BOTH OF THEM!!!!!!!! I am heartsick and enraged by the child abuse and murder allowed to go on in this Country. These animals must be swiftly eliminated and I do not want to hear any weenie liberal excuses about their miserable upbringing. Shame on these poor excuses for females that allow this to happen---"over my dead body" as Mother23 stated, is a fact! God Bless this child!

13timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

No trail for this one !

14jrolley325(784 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

how can you make them financially responsible if they are locked up?

15shadowman(67 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Well here's hoping that ol' Timmy Boy will be making some new friends shortly. The prison system usually has a welcoming committee for new members who show up after committing this type of crime. And may you never be lonely.

16shan72171(2 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

This is sick and the mother had to of known!!! That poor innocent little baby! She is in my prayers!

17munchkin97(4 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm a singlemom and trust me i know almost everything about people who come in contact wit my children. What mother didn't know come on She had to know the baby is what about 23months she had to hopefully between 5-20 days gave her child a bath. Denial is not in this vocab it's called a person that didn't give a F**k. I love my children dearly and I'll kill someone before they hurt my children. Her mother instincts should of kicked it. She needs her a** beat and then some

18L0L(640 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

This deserves capital punishment. The victim was completely defensless. This is discusting.

19sickofitall24(4 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Capital punishment? Hoping Tim gets violated in prison...what the hell kind of talk is this!? I understand EVERYONE is outraged and upset by this story because of the victim, the innocent child involved and I definitely have her in my prayers and hope she makes a full recovery and no doubt will she have many years of therapy in her future...nevertheless everyone wants to point the blame at just Tim, or just the single mother, or both, but dont you all realize everything you hear right now is just HEAR SAY! Nothing has been proven...its all ACCUSATIONS! Last time I checked, this was the United States of America where a defendant is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY and sorry to say, there is NOTHING stating that Tim is guilty...no DNA from him on the little girl, no fingerprints on her body from him...NOTHING indicating he is actually the one that has done this...and as for the burns on her genitals, I would hate that someone would burn a child there, but it could definitely be that the childs diaper was not changed nearly often enough and incurred a bad diaper rash, or if the child is potty trained, might have had an accident and her undergarments were not changed in a sufficent amount of time....people you need to consider EVERYTHING and not just point fingers! Let the police and investigators do their jobs and find out exactly what happend and who is responsible..its what our tax dollars pay for!

20sickofitall24(4 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

By the way per my previous comment, I am not defending Tim, I do not know the man, I'm just trying to look at all aspects and look at the situation rationally rather than emotionally!

21shadowman(67 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

"there is NOTHING stating that Tim is guilty...no DNA from him on the little girl, no fingerprints on her body from him...NOTHING."

So sickofitall, how do you know? How do you know they don't have evidence? What makes you think the police don't have any evidence? Do you really know that they don't? Per your own reasoning, I guess you are just as bad as everyone else that you are complaining about because you don't really know. You too are making assumptions. By the way, per your previous comment, you are defending him.

22mother23(7 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

To "sickofitall": if you are trying to look at this rationally, and not emotionally, why do you not try and proofread your comments first before posting? Hearsay is one word. "It's", when used as a contraction needs an apostrophe...and this is just for starters.... I do not have time to "grade" your post. My point: your simple minded comment and your attempt at "rationalizing" is even worse than your grammar.

23marilyn(2 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

My Husband left me after 11yrs of Marriage. He left me to raise my 2 young boys by myself. I so wanted male companmanship for 20yrs. but I was so afraid of someone hurting my children like this case mentions. My boys are grown now and I'm still alone but I'm happy. I know there are good men out there but I didn't want to expirence what this jerk of man did to that little girl. I hope he gets whats comming to him. He's lucky I'm not his girlfrtend because I would be in jail today for kicking his a s s!

24marilyn(2 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Isn't it weird that things like the child getting hurt on his watch. I'm sure he was alone with that little girl. No doubt in my mind. If his girlfriend saw the abuse I blame her too!

25alliyboo722(2 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I will repeat basically what i had sayd in the other blog, the mother was a wonderful and loving mother. shes single, with a child, a part time job, and in my classes at college. she was by far doing more for her and her childs life than most single mothers wen their babydaddy says" aint mine" so before u judge why dont u look at the shoes shes walking in before u u take a mile in em