Pete Starks wins 10 ‘large’ from Publishers Clearing House

Published: Tue, November 10, 2009 @ 4:45 p.m.

LIBERTY — Herman “Pete” Starks, a former long-time Youngstown city councilman, was sitting at his computer at home when the doorbell rang.

Starks looked out the window of his Liberty home Tuesday to see television trucks and a group of people.

“I didn’t know what think,” he said.

When Starks opened the door, he was greeted by Publishers Clearing House’s Prize Patrol with a $10,000 check.

“I’ve been entering [the contest] since 2000 and I never thought I’d win anything,” Starks said. “When they told me I won $10,000 I couldn’t believe it.”

Starks, a former 22-year Youngstown councilman who last served in 1985, said he’s going to use the money to pay medical expenses related to recent lung surgery he had.

For the complete story, read Wednesday’s Vindicator or Vindy.com

Comments

1pel(7 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

Really - tv crew and cameras for $10,000?? Good for him - never really thought anyone won those.

2janeyblue(227 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

So ??? After taxes...whooptieee dooooooooo !
Go to Mickey D's Pete!

3mapat(5 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

congratulations uncle pete from martel, elvie davis daughter, love ya...

4boxerlover(131 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

congrats! To janeyblue, doesn't matter how much after taxes..it's something. Everyone these days could use a little something extra.

5Siouxi(122 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree with dubfun; I never thought anyone won those prizes.
Congratulations, Pete!