Car dealer seeks help to save his business

Published: Tue, May 19, 2009 @ 12:05 a.m.

Frederick wants to meet with Boardman trustees

By DON SHILLING

VINDICATOR BUSINESS EDITOR

BOARDMAN — A Chrysler dealer is calling for help from the Boardman trustees as he tries to save his dealership.

In a letter to trustees, Bob Frederick said Chrysler’s closing of his Market Street dealership is unfair, and he asked for an immediate meeting to discuss how the dealership and its 54 jobs can be saved.

Frederick noted that the dealership received notice of the termination in a form letter delivered by FedEx.

“What a way to receive the news after almost 50 years with Chrysler,” Frederick said.

Trustee Kathy Miller said she left word with township administrator Jason Loree to arrange a meeting with the car dealer. If something can be done to organize public opinion in support of Frederick, she’s all for it.

“This is just too serious for us to sit on our hands,” Miller said.

Frederick could not be reached to comment.

As Frederick works with local officials, a group of Chrysler dealers is appealing to the automaker to reduce the 789 dealer closings that were announced Thursday.

A lawyer for the Chrysler National Dealer Council told the Associated Press that he’s hopeful the number will be pared down and that he wants Chrysler to provide aid to dealers who do lose their franchise agreements.

Frederick complained in the letter that Chrysler is using federal bankruptcy court to get around state laws that protect dealers from having their franchises pulled.

“How can Chrysler use the federal courts to destroy a profitable business in Ohio and at the same time be taking our tax dollars in bailout funds?” Frederick asked.

Chrysler is living off $5.8 billion in federal loans and intends to emerge from bankruptcy court under the control of Fiat Group SpA, an Italian automaker.

“We have attempted to contact Chrysler to discuss our situation but have been met with cold silence,” Frederick said.

The dealer’s case is this:

UChrysler wants dealers to have all three of its brands under its roof. Frederick Chrysler Jeep Dodge, 7871 Market St., has all of them.

UChrysler wants only dealers that sell more than 100 new vehicles a year. Frederick sold 636 new vehicles last year.

UChrysler wants only dealers who sell more new vehicles than used vehicles. Frederick does that.

UChrysler does not want its brands to be housed in dealerships that offer brands of other automakers. Frederick sells only Chrysler products.

UFrederick said he is in the midst of a $1 million remodeling effort.

Miller said she was surprised that Frederick can make such a strong case. When she heard of the closing last week, she assumed the dealership was performing poorly.

“You should not close another person’s business just because you can,” she said.

Frederick said Chrysler’s decision means he cannot sell or service vehicles as of June 9. The automaker is not buying back the dealership’s vehicles, parts or tools, which cuts the value of these items by at least half, Frederick said.

Also on the list of dealerships to be closed was Preston Chrysler-Jeep-BMW in Warren. A Preston official said 85 percent of the dealership’s sales are BMW vehicles, so it can survive without Chrysler.

shilling@vindy.com

SEE ALSO:Chrysler expands buyout, early-retirement packages and GM, UAW in dispute over imports, plant closures.

Comments

1girl123(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

However you feel about Fredericks personally, what about all of the people they employ and the tax money for Boardman township that is generated by this business. I don't see anyone turning that away. I don't think they are asking for money, just support to help save the business and those who depend on it!!!!

2Crow(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Boardman - your comments regarding making sense elude me. How can you regard keeping 54 people employed a waste of money? I believe you lack empathy for your fellow man - shameful indeed. Frederick's has been a viable business in this community for 50 years. Please note the word VIABLE. Every business that closes in this community presents further deterioriation of this community in one form or other. Tax base, empty buildings, unemployment, social security - you name it - the list could go on. We need to join forces and do everything we can to keep the businesses we have. It's in all of our best interests to do so.

3educatedgirl(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Uneducated Drone....Your a real piece of work,i mean really....Why would you ever go against trying to support 60 USA plus familys and jobs in the valley?You must be a hater..but ya know what?All that matters is saving jobs in the valley and saving the tax dollars for the people!Why would you even comment on Bob Frederick singularly when it's a team effort from the whole dealership and Mahoning Valley.......You need to NOT even be involved with your hater comment!!!!Thank you .......Educated Girl.........

4dodgeholiday(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

My wife and I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I have a Dodge Challenger on order from Mr. Frederick. My wife and I would have been flying to Boardman, picking up our car, spending money on a motel room, purchasing food, and buying retail goods as well. By Chrysler putting Bob Frederick Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep on the cut list, this will hurt the city harder than most folks know. In talking to Bob he said many of his car sales are from out of state. That means the loss of countless visitor dollars. I hope public officials and residents get behind the Frederick's fight. I feel for those 54 employees working at this dealership. As usual, big government tries to stick it to small town America! Mike & Joleen Hankins - Anchorage, AK

5ChuckG(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Most people that live in Boardman probably don't realize what a gem of a business you have in Frederick CJD. Bob Frederick sells cars from Alaska to Florida, and from California to Massachusetts. Don't believe me, take a look at this online petition to save the dealership:

I live in Bay Village, OH, 90 miles from Frederick. I purchased my 2009 Dodge Challenger from Bob Frederick because I knew that he would take care of me....just like he has from people all across the country.

It is not only important to the Frederick family and employees to save this dealership, but it is also so important to save probably the only Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge dealership recognized in all 50 states..... located in Boardman, Ohio.

What a jewel Boardman has!

6djwhog(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

OK look, we have people that are from all over the country just to deal with Bob.

His product knowledge, friendlyness, fair dealing, honesty is top notch. He is deeply involved with Chrysler, has been and it is a family business for about a half a century.

There is no way this 5 star dealer should not stay operational. He is so loved by many and support from him and for his is unrivaled. Please check out what so many other nice folks have to say about Bob and how happy they have been with him.

He has had a lot of major influence with Dodge on the options and desires and needs of the customers. He is active in Red Letter Dodge and has even helped those that purchased from other Chrysler stores.

Please don't let this great american business man go by the way side.

If Chrysler had more folks like him they would not be in the shape they are today. In fact, they should look to him for support on how best to make what people want to buy!

He has a huge loyal following from coast to coast, not just in the local market. People like Fredricks are what make the world and working place a better place to live.

7UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

It's over. You lost. Move on. Why?

8spencer60(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Bob's dealership has a nationwide reputation for outstanding customer service and satisfaction. So much so that many people (myself included) picked our cars up at Bobs' rather than deal with some of the terrible local dealerships (many of whom are staying) in our home areas.

Bob has sold hundreds of cars to folks outside the area, and all of these people end up supporting the local economy. I flew up from Atlanta to get my car, and in the process spent around $400 in the area (hotel, cab from CAK to Boardman, meals, etc).

Figure 100 folks a year do the same (wouldn't be surprised, there was a guy from Boston doing the same thing when I picked up my car), that's $40,000 to the local economy just based on his reputation alone, not counting what his dealership contributes in taxes jobs, etc. Or counting the million dollar plus expansion he committed to this year. No other dealer in the COUNTRY has the same level of recognition as Fredericks CJD.

It's a truism that you often overlook what's in your own back yard. From some of the comments here that seems to be the case. Let me just say that if Chrysler was smart, they would put Bob Fredericks in charge of managing their dealer network, not trying to eliminate him from it.

If this goes through and Bob has to close his dealership, Chrysler, Bob Fredericks, the Boardman area and car buyers everywhere will have all come out the poorer for it.

9ClassicCurtis(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I live in Idaho and I have ordered a 2009 Challenger from Bob Frederick. Bob Frederick is a legend among the MOPAR Community. I live over 2,000 milesfrom Boardman, Ohio but I am willing to pay the extra cost of having my vehicle shipped to Idaho because Bob Frederick is the best of the best. If every dealer followed the model that Bob's dealership excels at then Chrysler would not be in need of a bankruptcy.

If Bob is not allowed to sell Chrysler products then my trip to Ohio in July will be canceled. I had planned to attend the GTO National’s outside of Dayton and from there I was going to drive to Boardman to meet Bob and see the area. My little jaunt would mean meals and a hotel room in Boardman. And, my purchase helps keep the fifty plus employees employed at Frederick Chrysler Jeep Dodge. You have a gem of a businessman in Boardman and I encourage you to help Bob out.

10cuda7man1(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hi, my name is Jim S. I live in Washington state.
I ordered a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T from the factory thru Bob Frederick.(November 2008) If
not for Bob and his connections, none of this would have come true!! Bob is one of the best!!
People like him don't come along very often!! PLEASE RECONCIDER THIS DEALER!!!

11smte4pears(18 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

If this business so great, why did Chrysler choose to stop their franchise agreement with this dealership?

Does anyone know the criteria Chrysler considered when they chose this business as opposed to Frederick's local competition?

12MVP(67 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hmmmm, Bob Eddy is seen flying to Washington to the senate hearings, hob-nobbing with the Chrysler big wigs and the next thing you know, his #1 competitor in town is on the chopping block. Coincidence? I think not. The bottom line as always is who has the power. Apparantly, Mr. Eddy has more pull. Otherwise, small dealers who don't meet the criteria would be the ones axed, not one of the biggest. most succesful dealers in the area.

13smte4pears(18 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago