facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Pavlik camp stays quiet



Published: Sun, May 10, 2009 @ 12:10 a.m.

No one is saying anything about a supposed hand injury that has postponed his June 27th title bout.

STAFF REPORT

YOUNGSTOWN — Mum was the word from Kelly Pavlik’s boxing camp Saturday regarding the nature of his injury that forced postponement of the middleweight champion’s scheduled WBC and WBO title defense against Sergio Mora on June 27 in Atlantic City, N.J.

The Vindicator reported Saturday that Pavlik’s injury, a nagging staph infection in his hand first reported on ESPN.com late Friday, forced postponement of the fight, and that it probably would be rescheduled in September.

Pavlik, who reportedly had stitches from a cut in his hand, visited his doctor Friday and was told that he shouldn’t fight, Top Rank president Todd duBoef told ESPN.com.

“He had an infection and it hasn’t healed yet,” duBoef said. “[Co-manager] Cameron [Dunkin] called [Top Rank boss] Bob [Arum] and said Kelly wouldn’t be ready to fight and that was it.”

But, “We’ll try to reschedule the Pavlik fight, maybe for September.”

But Pavlik’s camp, when contacted Saturday to elaborate on how Pavlik cut his hand that led to the staph infection, refused to make any comments.

“No comment,” said Jack Loew, Pavlik’s trainer, while Pavlik and his father, Mike Pavlik, and also Dunkin did not return phone calls that sought elaboration on the nature of Pavlik’s injury — and also if the injury, in fact, was the main reason for the postponement.

John D’Altorio, the Team Pavlik media relations director, also declined comment.

The Pavlik-Mora bout, which was set in March, was originally scheduled to be announced last week but was delayed to allow Pavlik time to see his doctor, according to the ESPN.com report.

The bout was supposed to take place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., and headline a Top Rank pay-per-view show.

Pavlik (35-1, 31 KOs) is coming off a dominant ninth-round knockout of Marco Antonio Rubio in his second title defense Feb. 21.

Mora (21-1-1, 5 KOs), who won the first season of “The Contender” reality series, hasn’t fought since September 2008, when he lost a unanimous decision and his junior middleweight title to Vernon Forrest.

Top Rank’s plan is to move the card out of the cavernous Boardwalk Hall, where Pavlik has drawn big crowds, into the smaller 4,000-seat arena upstairs at Boardwalk Hall or move the show to the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.


Comments

1YtownBlue(8 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I hope he wasn't trying to repair a window again. I would think with the millions he's made over the last couple years he would be in a better home or could actually pay someone to do home repairs.

Or....the other rumor out there the first time it happened he punched a window in a jealous rage

Suggest removal:

2ekimedlafec(1 comment)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I heard he was trying to show that he is still good friends with Cefalde by lopping off half of his hand so it wook look like Cefalde's E.T. stump. The problem was that he was using an old butterknife that Jack Lowe left at his house when they had a butter-milk biscuit party.

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport