Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Teenagers charged in assault plead innocent

Published: Thu, March 19, 2009 @ 12:10 a.m.

A Wednesday evening arraignment for the 11 teens was canceled.

STAFF REPORT

CANFIELD — Teenagers charged in a Feb. 22 assault at a Timber Run Drive home have entered written pleas of innocence.

Additionally, the young man who was the target of the attack has pleaded innocent to an assault that happened earlier Feb. 22.

A courtroom spokesman said because of written pleas, an arraignment scheduled for 5 p.m. Wednesday at Mahoning County Area Court here was canceled.

Dominic Jackett, 18, of Youngstown; Kyle White, 18, of Boardman; Dan McGlone, 18, of Boardman; Matthew McWilson, 18, of Youngstown; Peter Bernat, 19, of Youngstown; Nicholaos Frangopoulos, 18, of Poland; Owen Timlin, 18, of Youngstown; Michael Thomas, 18, of Boardman; Adam Wheeler, 18, of Poland; and Scott Johnson, 18, of North Jackson are all charged with aggravated trespass.

McWilson, White, Johnson and Frangopoulos are also charged with assault.

Canfield detectives said the teens arrived at the residence of Michael Malvasi Jr., 18, of Timber Run Drive in Canfield, just before 1 a.m. and were caught on a surveillance camera assaulting him.

Police reports indicated the fight was a result of an incident that occurred around 12:30 a.m., when Malvasi reportedly punched Jackett on Fox Haven Drive in the township.

Malvasi was charged with assault in relation to that episode.

Four juveniles are also charged in the incident on Timber Run Drive.

Their cases will be reviewed by officials at the Martin P. Joyce Juvenile Justice Center, Youngstown, at a different time.

All four of the juveniles are charged with aggravated trespass and assault.

No pretrial date has been set.

Nick Modarelli, prosecutor for Mahoning County Area Court here, was not available to comment late Wednesday afternoon.

Family and attorneys for each of the 11 teens also declined to comment.

Comments

1just4me(11 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I guess I'll start a new blog here. For your information, Malvasi Jr. had attended a dance with a Cardinal Mooney student held at Cardinal Mooney. Believe it or not, there are families that live in Canfield and have their children attend Cardinal Mooney. There are also families who live in Boardman, Poland, Youngstown, Austintown, Salem and Springfield. I'm sure I have left out a few other cities or townships, but you get the point. So, as for the question of "Why were they in Canfield?" The answer would be that they went to a classmates home after the dance. I do believe that the only reason this incident made the front page is because the Malvasi home had a surveillance tape. I also believe that the Malvasi family called the Vindicator and wanted the story put out there to take the guilt away from their son, who threw the first punch and than ran home to Mommy and Daddy. That's not to say the others weren't in the wrong. They were. I don't think it was a Canfield vs Mooney fight, I think it was a stupid macho power struggle amongst teenage boys. What did Malvasi Jr. say to his parents when he abruptly arrived at home? What happened to his date? Did she get out before everything went down? Did Malvasi Jr. take her home? I do believe that all parties involved were in the wrong and should be punished accordingly. For those of you who wonder about consequences for the kids at school---------THIS DID NOT HAPPEN ON SCHOOL TIME OR PROPERTY! IT WAS NOT BROUGHT ON BY A WIN OR A LOSS OF A GAME OR CLAIMING OF TERRITORY!!! If the Cardinal Mooney and Canfield principals feel there should be ramifications for shining a bad light on their schools, then it's up to them- NOT THE PUBLIC, to decide. One last note- not everyone who attends Cardinal Mooney High School is rich. There are families that make drastic sacrifices for their children to attend this school, as well as Ursuline. My guess is that there is way more money within the Canfield schools than Cardinal Mooney and Ursuline combined. I don't know where people get the idea that only the "well- off" send their children to a private school. It is a life choice, a major sacrifice, that my family has made. We do not live in a fancy "development." We do not take lavish vacations. We do not drive expensive cars. We do not have a blackberry or i-phone, nor do our children. But what we do have is a strong family with strong values. We are proud to be the average Cardinal Mooney Family.

2Heard_it_all_before(62 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

A well stated, reasonable response - finally. One can see where the kids become so misguided as it seems that some parents are stuck back in high school. The jock-entitlement mentality is alive and well. I can't believe that the leadership at Mooney meant to encourage its students to form a vigilante mob and assault anyone when they told the students that "they are brothers" and should "take care of one another". My feeling is that is was meant in the more biblical sense of being thy brother's keeper. That christian ideal transcends political boundaries and exclusive clicks/factions are antithetical to the ideal.

As to being off school property/hours, etc. - ask any student athlete or coach about whether student behavior is monitored or governed outside of school events. Of course it is, with mandatory curfews, drug and alcohol policies, etc. Student athletes know this when they are accepted to the team.

As to the decisions belonging to the principals, let us remember that those folks work for us - especially in a public school that is funded by tax dollars. Schools are not islands, but extensions of the community and should roughly conform to community standards and mores. In this case, justice should be blind, as intended. Anyone who commited any offense should be held to account and given an opportunity to defend himself with due process of law. School loylaties, misguided community "pride", or xenophobic reactions to those not like oneself should have no part in the outcome. Let the system have a chance to work. Monitor the outcomes to ensure fairness. I would like to believe that everyone directly involved in this incident now wishes it had never happened. This, too shall pass.

3AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I guess the Catholic education failed.

4SouthSider(1 comment)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

just4me:
Try getting your story straight. Malavasi attended Canfield's Sweetheart dance with a Canfield student.

5just4me(11 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I to do believe that "If you play, you pay!" I never said they should get off with a slap on the wrist. All I'm saying that it doesn't really matter where kids go to school. Every kid makes bad choices along with the good choices. There has always been fights amongst kids, that will never cease. Do I think the numbers were excessive? Absolutely! Do I think they thought it through? Absolutely not! Yes, I also agree about the school/athletic policies that are in place where curfews and other policies are to be upheld. Are these same policies not in place at EVERY SCHOOL? Plus, each city, or town, has curfew policies. Where these policies overlooked? Why do you, AKAFR1, say the Catholic education failed? In the same breath why did you not say that Malvasi's public education has failed him? Or is it acceptable for public school children to get in trouble with the law, but it's not acceptable for private school children. That's a crock. In the end, they are all just kids that made a string of bad decisions.

6halbertalbert(1 comment)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Ohio can be proud that the website LiveLeak.com has posted the video for all the world to behold the courage of its young fellows.

7disheartened(7 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

At some point bad decisions come with consequences. Feeling bad or embarrassed is no longer enough. These "kids" need a good dose of reality and I hope the justice system gives it to them.

8just4me(11 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Southsider- If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. But numerous people (students and parents) told me Malvasi's date was a Cardinal Mooney student. Are you sure she wasn't a girl from Canfield that attends Cardinal Mooney High School?

9AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

just4me...I say that because one would expect one to act like a christian if they are paying for and receiving a christian education.

10boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I think it would be more proper to post the names of the parents of each of the kids instead of the schools. The schools are not responsible for bringing up such trash, the parents were. Just think, all that had to happen was for Malvasi's head to hit the pavement after a punch and he could have ended up dead like that celebrity who went skiing. Then these "Gentlemen" would be facing murder charges. Think about that before defending adult criminals with juvenile minds.

11teddybear6(35 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I hope that other kids learn from this example and think before they act.

12sobeit(98 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

boardmanneedschange:

Obviously you don't have children because if you did, as a parent you would know that when you are raising your child you try to teach them right from wrong and to act respectful to others, but sooner rather than later they grow up and make their own decisions whether we as parents like it or not.

The men that were involved in this altercation need to be punished, not their parents.

13boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Ahhhh, but I do know this, those who were involved in this altercation most assuredly still live with their parents. If that were my kid and he did something like this, he would want to be in jail rather than come home to my punishment. It should be posted just like a marriage announcement,

John Doe, son of Jane and Jack Doe of Austintown, was involved in an altercation with another poor soul from Canfield on Saturday night, resulting in aggravated trespassing charges to be filed against him by the Canfield Township police dept. He wore a red and white CMHS letterman jacket with yellow piping.

And p.s.
My kids will never, ever, make this kind of mistake. I can assure you of that. Possibly because they are raised correctly and shown these "examples" of how one bad decision can ruin your entire life. This example shows that these boys/men were not involved in an accident, they just let their emotions get the best of them. Therefore they are responsible for those actions and must take the punishment that goes along with it. Enjoy your day......and your opinion.

14teddybear6(35 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Never say NEVER "boardmanneedschange". Even as I try to put the fear of god in my son of the consequences of what could happen to him in these types of situations, when they are out with friends, it is the kid who has to make the final decision. I could only hope he would make the right one. Sometimes just being in the wrong place at the wrong time has consequences.

15jmm1226(3 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree teddybear6, I have teenagers too who I consider to be good kids.

You can raise them up and in 9 of 10 circumstances, your teachings will probably take, but remember, they are children in adult bodies. Excused? Nope.

Perhaps think they need to have a conversation with the few young men (now in their 30's) who had a similar run in when they were in HS. Knew the kid they got in the first altercation with, went to his house and waited for him to come home and jumped him. He hit his head and died. 4 of them spent the end of their senior year of HS on trial and went straight to prison - all academic and athletic scholarships down the tubes.

If anything, "there but for the grace of god go we..." should be in their minds.

As adults we can't comprehend how along the way SOMEONE said, "hmm, maybe this isn't a good idea"...

16jmm1226(3 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

^^^^sorry, should have said "As adults we can't comprehend how along the way SOMEONE DIDN'T say, "hmm, maybe this isn't a good idea"...

17tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes NEVER SAY NEVER, I HAVE 4 SONS, BUT MY OLDEST ATTENDS THE OTHER CATHOLIC SCHOOL IN THIS AREA. I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH HIM UNTIL THIS YEAR, HE HAS REALLY CHANGED, THEIR ARE ALOT OF BAD THINGS OUT THERE, AND ALOT OF BAD PEOPLE OUT THERE. DRUGS AND ALCOHOL ARE REALLY TAKING CONTROL OF OUR TEENS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STAY ONTOP OF THINGS AND THEM, YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE COMPANY THEY KEEP AND WHERE THEY ARE SPENDING THERE TIME, JUST WHEN YOU THING YOUR CHILD WOULD NOT DO THINGS.. WHAMM YOU FIND OUT SOMETHING. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK YOU CHILDREN QUESTIONS AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO DEMAND TO KNOW WHERE THEY ARE GOING AND WITH WHO, AS LONG AS THEY ARE UNDER YOUR ROOF ..YOU ARE STILL THE PARENT AND THEY ARE THE CHILD. I DON'T CARE HOW MAD MY TEEN GETS AT ME, SOMEDAY HE WILL UNDERSTAND WHY I DID AND DO WHAT I DO.. I ALWAYS TELL THEM SOME CHILDREN WOULD LOVE FOR THEIR PARENTS TO GIVE A DAMN TO CARE AND ASK QUESTIONS WE DO IT BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM NOT TO BE CONTROLLING AND THEY WILL UNDERSTAND WHEN THEY HAVE THEIR OWN CHILDREN, BUT UNTIL THEN IT IS MY DUTY AS A PARENT TO KNOW ALL THINGS, AND I WOULD WANT MY CHILD TO FACE THE MUSIC IF THEY DID IT, TO TEACH THEM A LESSON FOR THE FUTURE..

18sobeit(98 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I LOVE how people who have NO children have so much insight on how to raise a child...I'll leave it at that.

Watch out Boardman...I am willing to bet you will have your fair share of trouble with your kids.

19tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Who has no children???? Your not reading right?? You have no eyes, or don't know how to read!!!

20scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

tll;
You can get your point across without yelling (all caps if you are a newbie). You can emphisize you point with certain words capped if you'd like.

NEVER SAY NEVER, I have 4 sons, but my oldest attends the other Catholic school.....................

See, doesn't that look better?

21scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

For the record, I have a 21 yr old daughter and a 14 yr old son. My daughter NEVER (yes I used the "N" word) got into trouble and I am confident my son won't either.
It not only begins with proper values instilled by the parents but also with the group of friends they associate with. Both of my kids have had instances that made them uncomfortable but had enough sense to not be a part of it.
Before you start judging - daughter is a 3rd yr D1 varsity athlete and an honor student and my son is a 3 sport starter and consistant honor roll student, so they aren't nerds or couch potatoes with no friends.

22scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

rmzrez, 1st off I appreciate your humor. I'm really surprized no weapons were used. I guess all 16..18.. 19 if you include the dog, should be commended for that.
2nd, please refer to my post above about yelling (all caps)

23skinnychick(2 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow. I am not the least bit surprised by the lack of maturity of the adults in this community. The anger you have all built up inside according to your tendentious opinions is amazing. Yes, both sides were in the wrong, but how many times have kids gotten in fights?!? Have you all forgotten what it is like to be in high school? No matter where you go, private or public, teenagers will fight. You all get so wrapped up in who is the better parent and who sends their child to the better school, why don't you just worry about correcting the conflict at hand? This petty argument only worsens the situation. It's about time you be a role model for your children and stop judging people because of where they go to school, how much money they have, or what community they preside. Praise the Lord nobody was seriously injured!!! End of story.

24pacopaco(5 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

What an opportunity for CMHS to get out in front of this story and focus on the the potential positive, educational aspects - these kids represent this school on and off campus and like it or not this is a double black eye for CMHS (pun intended). Where is the CHMS leadership/administration? asleep at the wheel/switch?

25pinkdog(2 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

hey, Akafar1: there's a difference between christian education and catholic education. and the MAFIA send their kids to catholic schools. never a christian school..... check that out.....

26watcher(3 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I have never been one to use a second of my time to attempt to convince anyone of anything in a blog, but this needs comment.

I am a homeowner and a father. I do not have children in either Canfield or CM High schools.

The real issue here is that as a society we can not permit roving gangs of young adults and adults to show up at your doorstep calling out our kids to arms. This could have become a true tragedy. Thank god that Mr. Malvasi did not do what many of us would have done in his situation and go for the family peace maker. This is reminiscent of the old west homesteads.

Bottom line, the Malvasi kid fought with a CM high-school kid one on one like school toughs have done for ages. The Mooney kids took it to the next level by going to his house to seek revenge for an earlier "butt whooping." Only this revenge was not in the spirit of tough guys of ages gone by, it was with 14 helpers. Where is the "macho" in that.

All I see is a group of punks who need sent a lesson that society will not permit "gangs" of punks to come to our homes without recourse.

I hope the Judge in this case follows the law and imposes a sentence that sends the right message.

27wrestler0208(7 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm a college student at Ohio State and when I got back to the area today and heard about this stroy i was utterly outraged. I understand that the Canfield kid threw the first punch but i doubt he did it for no reason, something had to of happened. Not that it means that it is right to do that because its not. But how in the world does that give justification for FOURTEEN boys to go over to his house, rip him out of his house and beat his face in for lack of a better phrase. And to top it all of they beat on a grown adult man/father/husband. What does that say about these kids? It tells me that they think they are hot shots because they go to Mooney. Mooney people can tell me all they want that thats not true but I've grown up in this area my whole life and it is the truth. Canfield and Poland are the same way. Its kids who excel in athletics and are treated like royalty at their schools. It also doesn't help that the MAJORITY of their family are very wealthy and have powerful names and they can get their way out of anything. I would almost be willing to bet anything that these kids will have little ramifications of their actions. Hopefully the justice system will prove me wrong. For the person who said that the only reason this was front page news was because of the video obviously has kids at Mooney or knows these kids and doesnt think this is a big deal.
They're lucky that it's not national news, yet. Does anyone remember the story about a year ago when some kids invited a girl over and then beat the hell out of her and video taped it and put it on youtube? That made national headlines. I dont see how this is any different in my opinion its worse, they went into a kids house drug him out and beat him along with his father. These kids better get a wake up call that they are not invisible just because of the school they go to, who their parents are, or who they THINK they are. I hope these kids go to jail for a long time. But we all know how the justice system actually works in this country and more than likely they will get a slap on the wrist.

28uptodtmom(1 comment)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

The girls name was Victoria Lindsay and one of the girls in Polk County Florida recieved 50 community service hours, one year probation, a year banned from face book and you tube, and had to write a letter of apology to Victory. Hopefully, the Judge will come up with something that is creative and constructive for these individuals, who have too much time on their hands. Maybe they can give a speech to their classmates on the disadvantages of "thuggin".

29wrestler0208(7 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

That doesnt even come close to the punishment they deserve. And "just4me" i can tell you are of the Mooney bias when you say the kid ran to "mommy and daddy". If i was in trouble i think i would go to my parents before i went and grabbed 14 of my friends to handle my business. Your a joke. The kid threw a punch he was definitely wrong for that but i grew up in a great family and i was always taught to be the bigger person and walk away which the Mooney kid did but he walked away and grabbed 14 of his friends to take care of his problems. We probably will never know what caused the Canfield kid to throw a punch and i repeat he was wrong for that, i grew up in Salem and have never liked Canfield because they always beat us in everything so im not of the Canfield bias, but to say that the kid wasnt provoked is ludicrous. People who find nothing wrong with this and think it's being blown out of proportion need to put their kids in the canfield kids postition or put themselves in that position and think to themselselves, "what would i do if 14 kids showed up at my house wanting to fight at 1 am?" Wake up people.

30proud2bamerican(2 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I am shocked at the level of verbal hostility regarding this incident.

The verbal assaults and 'hang em' mentality is scarier than what the kids did.

Yes, they are kids, kids with families that love them all. I am sure all of the families are hurting and need time to work through this.

The accusations and innuendos must be very hurtful. The kids have feelings too!

Let's not forget the poor girl that recently committed suicide over online comments and ridicule after she sent a picture to her boyfriend.

Wake up people! Your hurtful and incendiary comments are horrible examples of 'the right thing'.

If you are trying to prove a point don't resort to hate!

We are in a season of lent; some are acting no better than those that crucified Christ.

Calm down and think before you post.

Words DO HURT!

The families and kids have enough to handle right now.

At least God is still in some schools; lest we forget what our forefathers founded this great country with.

My heart goes out to every parent, it is a tough job and getting harder in a society that wishes to take God out of everything.

I am sure these kids meant no harm and serious injuries could have also been inflicted by Dad or son on the other parties too.

Stop all of the hate on this post. Take time to reflect during this Holy season.

There are people with loved ones who have cancer! Some may have lost their battle, some may be struggling with other issues. St Judes and our valley come together each year to help.

One of Mooney's beloved families is struggling because their Dad was seriously hurt.

We have a great community. Let's show that here!

31boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Heres a plan for all the people who cant control thier kids.........DONT HAVE ANY MORE. As for the ones you have now that are complete morons, It would be best if you let them know that the world is a dirty nasty place and just because they are 18 doesn't necessarily make them adults. As long as they live under their parents roof and their parents claim them as dependents on their taxes, I'm pretty sure it's the parents who will be responsible for any civil action due to the stupidity of said dependent. All these boys parents should be glad no one was sent to the hospital. I'm pretty sure that regardless of what young Mr. Malvasi did, He can look into civil action against these 14 "gentlemen".

32just4me(11 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

wrestler0208---- I NEVER said that I was on the side of CMHS. I have said that it was absolutely wrong for 14 people to show up a house. I have said that I do believe they need to own up to what happened. That means EVERYONE. I would only hope you would go to your parents before getting some friends together. But, we can all say that. We can all say they should have done this or that, or not have done this or that. Bottom line- Everyone involved is wishing that night never happened. Yes, I am a CMHS parent. And I am saddened that this has given the school bad publicity. I would be just as passionate if my school ties were to Canfield, Boardman, Poland, or any other school. I would think anyone would feel the same way about their child's school. I reiterate---- I am not on the side of the CMHS students. I'M JUST SICK OF HEARING HOW A CARDINAL MOONEY STUDENT SHOULD ACT. If these students were from Boardman or Poland would it have been more acceptable since they would have NO CATHOLIC OR CHRISTIAN VALUES?? Would it be expected from a group of public kids? ? I believe the answer to these questions are a loud NO. Every parent tries to instill moral values into their child. Every parent tries to teach their child right from wrong. No parent wants to get a phone call stating that their child has been arrested. It doesn't matter if they are Christian, Catholic, Jewish or Atheist. Every student should represent their school with respect. Sadly, this did not happen here. Only in a perfect world would every student be a model scholar. I am happy that my family has no ties to any of these individuals. All I can say is that I hope a lesson is learned for all.

33just4me(11 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

OH-and for "rmzrez" I hope nobody I care about ever comes in contact with you. Are you even old enough to own a gun? Do your parents know you have a gun and go around town with it in your pocket? And stay in school- you need to brush up on your English. Learn to write. Or is that the way you talk too?

34NCTeacher(1 comment)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Kids make mistakes. The kids who started it made a mistake. He should have never thrown the first punch. Even if he was prevoked like someone else said does not make it alright for him to hit someone. But he made a mistake should he not be allowed to graduate? No. Does he deserve jail time? No. These kids that jumped him at his house made a mistake. Were the not prevoked as well? Let's not hang these kids and ruin they're futures. Make them learn from thier mistakes. I like the comment made about having talk about they're mistakes in front of both schools. Telling everyone if it was worth it? I do have a couple of questions or points though, why did this kid come outside if he saw a mob or did they break in and drag in out? And also the boys that were there but did not join in they did make a bad decision by being there but I don't believe they should be kick out of school for it. If it was just trespassing and this did not get caught on tape and blow up the way it is would these boys be punished at all?

35GROWUP(4 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

36GROWUP(4 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

wrestler0208, in response to your question, "what would i do if 14 kids showed up at my house wanting to fight at 1 am?" simple answer, lock my door and call the cops, situation avoided. Shame on all the parents trying to sound like they're tough sh*t when they say they would fight the group of students if they came to their house. That makes you no better, if not worse, than the group of students.

37metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

yeah by the time the police egt there you kid is dyingg there o nth e ground and as soon as they hear the cops coming they all run. So you ahve to go find them all which can tkaes days and god help if your son or daughter dies. No going out to fight them and protecting your flesh and blood are two different things.

38disheartened(7 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

metz87: Two things and while I say this please keep in mind I am in no way, shape, or form defending these idiots. First, the son (and the parents) knew the kids, so you wouldn't have to worry about the cops not finding them. Second, the son was already up and behind his father before he punched the kid in the face, so the son was not on the ground dying.

39hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

proud2bamerican,
Your words are so touching I have cut and pasted them to save in case there is ever another fistfight in the paper involving public school kids from Youngstown. (Well, except your quote, "I am sure these kids meant no harm" because that kind of made me giggle.)
I'm sure not you, but some of your "family" were unkind when that happened last year, and instead of saying, "The families and kids have enough to handle right now," they said "the savages that spawned these animals are probably out partying."

mmhmm. But I am sure your words with touch their hearts if it happens again.

40proud2bamerican(2 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

To 'could it be'. Exactly, what are the crude,hateful remarks helping anyone. The kids included. Enough hate!

41hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Could_It_Be:
I don't think you need to look so deeply.
1. Most homeowners can relate to the dilemma of finding your front yard full of hostile teenagers.

2. Readers who have had their own encounters with students from this school feel that something may finally be done about the bullying.

3. You will note that proud2bamerican replied to your post, not mine. Is that because kids from public school really are held to a higher standard? proud2bamerican could have simply said, "Yes, I would advocate understanding for students from all schools."
(I'll grant I was sarcastic with proud2bamerican. His comment " At least God is still in some schools" is annoying. Wasn't this question on the first page of the Catholic Catechism: Where is God? God is everywhere.

42whoa21(19 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

This could have been avoided if the "adults" would have contacted authorities immediately.14 boys standing on your front lawn at 1:00 am in the morning in t-shirts and sweat shirts aren't there to solicit a magazine subscription. I don't pretend to know the order of events but no one should have left the confines of that home. Mr Malavasi's son has been charged with assault,that's where it should of stopped. All people involved are lucky no one suffered paralysis or death or there would be some severe consequences to be paid. As to the defence of CMHS and CHS, this a maturity issue not an education issue or neighborhood issue it's a direct reflection with regard to the mores and values installed to the participants through their upbringing and that includes the adults. As a parent, you would not come up to my doorstep and fight my son, I would ask you to leave and then inform authorities if you refused to do so. I believe at 1:00am there are at least 4 cars in front of my house with 14 young males marching toward my residence, this can't be good.

43hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

So if the homeowners make some mistakes in responding to an intrusion, it makes the intruders innocent?

44qtpie(16 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

this post is even more hostile than the original! there are many comments about parenting, and in some degree i do think they are justified. i remember being younger and thinking "when i have kids i'm not going to make them have a curfew, or have my daughter's big brother come to pick her up!" but then that day comes when you have kids, and you realize everything you thought about parenting gets thrown out the window!

i have a really hard time stomaching the "living christian" and the "Catholic education" paying off mentality. i will be honest-i attended all catholic schools (what do you expect from an irish catholic mom and an italian catholic father?!?! hehe). but being catholic/chrisitian/religious isn't about sitting in a class every day or even going to church every sunday. it is about living a religious life.

i am in no way agreeing with how all the boys handled themselves (although, i would like to point out that while 14 were there, only 4 were charged with assult. yes, they came as many, but only few really "fought" making it physically 4 to 1). but what i am saying is that it is hypocriticial for us, all of us, to "throw the first stone" so to speak. do these boys deserve some short of reinforcement for their actions? of course. but do they need to be criticized by adults, with facts and fictions being all jumbled and misconstrued? i don't believe so.

my suggestion is for everyone to discuss the facts about the incident. what happened before doesn't matter. these boys previous histories don't matter. focus on the present, this situation, and it'll be fair to both sides.

45YSUgrad99(200 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

More times than not, I look at the parents and how they raised their children when I see this sort of behavior.
Don't get me wrong, boys will be boys...I was in a few fights when I was younger, but I never participated in this mob mentality. Back in my day, it was 1 vs. 1, not 1 vs. the mob! Most fights occured on school grounds, so there were always consequences for our actions!
I hope these boys learn a lesson from this, since its obvious they never learned it from their parents. As the truth comes out and punishments are levied, the parents will also hopefully learn from this. Good luck to them all.

Oh ya, who has a surveillance camera outside their house? Who are these people, lol.

46dawgalong(86 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

watcher,
A well written, well thought comment.

just4me,
Really? Really? REALLY? Do you think that ANYBODY in their right mind would agree with ANYTHING you have posted? Good Lord.
To suggest or imply that Mooney is a "private" school" is typical Youngstown mentality. Try paying 10k / yr for 1st grade. That is a private school. Mooney is an alternative option for working parents to attempt to buy themselves into a different class of living. Youngstown does not have any type of private, higher education option.
The people who comment in regard to the total lack of decency in regard to the manner in which this brutal attack transpired are expressing their disgust toward a total lack of basic human dignity.
The was, without a doubt, a cowardly act that has once again, cast a negative shadow on a deteriorating town in which, at one time, not pride in a school or system was the dominating source of pride, but basic principals of fair play and morals. To all of the posters that have tried to justify or defend the parties or circumstance in this sad statement of parenting, I can only say "pathetic, absolutely pathetic"

47Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I know a Marine recruiter who would like to sign up all of these boys for a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

48just4me(11 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

dawgalong- Not everyone, these days, attending Cardinal Mooney is of the Catholic faith. Yes, it is a Catholic school. The same goes for Ursuline. Do you not consider Youngstown Christian an alternative to Youngstown's private higher education options? I don't believe my husband and I are buying are way into a different class. I do not live in Youngstown. My family could easily be involved in one of the wonderful public school systems here in the valley. It was our choice.

I believe what is happening here is what we try to teach our children not to do, that is judge by color, clothing, area in which we live or judge by what a person looks like. I'm sure if I ran into you in a store, you wouldn't be able to tell if I had a child that attended Boardman, Canfield, Struthers, Mooney or Ursuline. There are alway kids in every school who's parents have loads of cash. And just about every one of those students are spoiled by their parents. I just can not believe that people actually think that every family that has children at Cardinal Mooney is well off. It really isn't like that at all. Yes, there are some, but there are also those who are the average "Joe the plumber". I never said these students were in the right. I think they were in the wrong. I can't believe that none of them were changed with underage drinking too. All I was saying is that this happens more than what we think. I'm sure this case will make a lot of high school students think before they act next time.
And for your information-- I'm not even from Youngstown! Wasn't born here, and I'm proud of that! I Haven't been here long enough to develop the YOUNGSTOWN MENTALITY that you say I possess. Maybe you should take a look at your own mentality.