Brawl case goes to court

Published: Wed, March 18, 2009 @ 12:09 a.m.
  Canfield Group Assault

February 22, 2009. Canfield, Ohio

February 22, 2009. Canfield, Ohio

Malvasi 911 call
Audio clip

By Elise Franco

11 students to be arraigned today

CANFIELD — The legal process begins today for one Canfield High School student and 10 of the 14 Cardinal Mooney High School students involved in a Feb. 22 brawl.

A Canfield court spokesman said two of the Mooney students, Dominic Jackett, 18, of Youngstown, and Scott Johnson, 18, of North Jackson, have hired attorneys.

“They have sent the court written statements of a not-guilty plea, which means they do not have to appear in court,” the spokesman explained.

He said it’s possible more of the men will do the same before the 5 p.m. arraignment in Mahoning County Area Court in front of Judge Scott Hunter.

Canfield High student Michael Malvasi Jr., 18, of Canfield, is set to appear on a charge of assault, accused of punching Jackett on the morning of Feb. 22 on Fox Haven Drive in Canfield Township. That incident is what police said prompted a 14-on-one assault in Malvasi Jr.’s Timber Run Drive front yard later that same morning.

Tuesday afternoon, Canfield police released the recording of the 911 call placed by Malvasi’s mother, Missy, while the fight was taking place.

During the call, she told the dispatcher that “a bunch of kids” pulled up to her property and a fight began.

She said at one point her husband, Michael Malvasi Sr., got involved in the scuffle. Police reports indicated that after a brief encounter with Kyle White, 18, of Boardman, Malvasi was punched in the head by White.

Later in the call, after Missy Malvasi realized her husband had been injured, she pleaded with police to hurry.

“My husband is bleeding in the head. They hit my husband in the head,” she said. “He’s bleeding. Can you hurry? Please hurry.”

White, along with Dan McGlone, 18, of Boardman; Matthew McWilson, 18, of Youngstown; Peter Bernat, 19, of Youngstown; Nicholaos Frangopoulos, 18, of Poland; Owen Timlin, 18, of Youngstown; Michael Thomas, 18, of Boardman; and Adam Wheeler, 18, of Poland, are also set to appear on a charge of aggravated trespass.

Additionally, four of the men — McWilson, White, Johnson and Frangopoulos — are charged with assault.

If convicted, each first-degree misdemeanor charge could bring a sentence of six months in jail and a fine of $1,000.

Judge Theresa Dellick of Mahoning County Juvenile Court said it’s not uncommon for teenagers to feel the mob mentality.

Judge Dellick is not associated with the Wednesday hearing but deals with teenagers close to this age group daily in her role.

“People feel strength in numbers,” she said. “The smartest kids do the dumbest things in certain situations. Does it make it right? No.”

Judge Dellick said a study conducted by neuroscientist Jay Giedd of the National Institute of Mental Health and neurologist Paul Thompson of the University of California at Los Angeles proved it has to do with a combination of three things: access to video-game and television violence, the constant development of the frontal cortex of the brain from age 11 to 21, and hormones.

“The frontal cortex controls impulsivity and risk taking,” she said. “Then you have, on top of that, hormones, which can begin raging in the teen years.

“Testosterone in excessive doses can effect behavior negatively.”

Officials from Cardinal Mooney High School were not available for comment.

Michael Malvasi Sr., Malvasi Jr.’s father, said he did not wish to comment.

efranco@vindy.com

Comments

1beinghonest(22 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Dear Vindicator,

I believe you owe Cardinal Mooney High School an apology - published on the front page of your newspaper. Since when are adults and teenagers, charge with crimes, identified by the school they attend? Mooney is not a town. You have made this a Mooney / Canfield issue. To have this the lead story on Vindy.com and identifying this incident with Cardinal Mooney High School, when it took place on a weekend is irresponsible and in poor taste. This was an obvious attempt to discredit Cardinal Mooney High School. YOU, YOUNGSTOWN VINDICATOR, OWE CARDINAL MOONEY HIGH SCHOOL A FORMAL APOLOGY.

Please, this is hardly a brawl.

2ItAintEasy(15 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Ten on One is not a brawl, its an ambush. The apology and more is owed to the Malvasi Family. Start beinghonest about your statements.

Out

3msweetwood(161 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Beinghonest: Our reporting is based on a police investigation. The police took great time and care to confirm that all of the teens who showed up to confront the Malvasi household at about 1 a.m. were all buddies from the same school. It seems clear they were there because of their school ties. If 14 students get together to, say, raise money for a good cause, we would likely mention the affiliation, too (even if the fundraiser was on a weekend off school grounds). Your definition is less "honest" and more apologist. You've made nine mostly over-the-top posts on this story, yet you accuse The Vindicator of being "irresponsible."

Mark Sweetwood
Managing editor

4beinghonest(22 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Sweetwood,

Fair enough.

5MiketheMexican(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I feel very bad for the Malvasi family and if this was in Texas,most of those young adults / young animals would have been shot. The "kids" are a bunch of punks with no backbone and should be sentenced to some short-term hard time...maybe, one of these gutless wonders will learn how to fight,...I hope all of the attackers' futures are ruined via expulsion, loss of scholarship and future academic choices. Good luck to the Malvasi family and I hope those kids get what they deserve.

Go IRISH

6randomtask21(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Dear Mr. Sweetwood,

I'm curious as to why there is a one-minute gap in the video clip. Police reports said Mr.Malvasi advanced on Kyle White, yet you fail to display this. If your going by police investigation, you might as well get your story right. With all do respect Mr. Sweetwood, the Vindicator has tarnished Cardinal Mooney and itself with this base reporting. You mention that you would cover a Cardinal Mooney fundaraiser, or anything good that Mooney students accomplish. However, you failed to mention that The Cardinal Mooney Speech and Debate Team was the second best team in the state, with numerous state champions. Covering a good story about Mooney, yea right.

7randomtask21(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

According to the article, there not "thugs", there just victims of science.

8janpentz(29 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

If these kids were from East High or Chaney in Youngstown you bet they would have identified the school. I salute the Vindicator for showing a rare sense of impartiality in this matter. As I have always said, Kids are Kids wherever they are from!!!

9Max(81 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Sweetwood,

While I would agree that the information you published is correct, and what you have said is true, I still have a problem with the fact that the Vindicator is blowing this story out of proportion by making it the lead story on Vindy.com two days in a row. THAT is what is unfair.

I completely condemn what these students have done, and I feel that they deserve whatever punishment they have coming to them. It was totally wrong for them to go to the Malvasi home, although it was just as wrong for Malvasi Jr. to have thrown the punch that started it all. Yet, your headline yesterday read "10 Mooney students...", not mentioning the Canfield man until later in the story. As if it was all instigated by the Mooney students unprovoked.

Just below the story on yesterdays "front page", read a tiny headline stating that two people were found dead on Youngstown's South Side. Don't you think that warranted a headline over a high school "brawl"?

I feel that the Vindicator is being irresponsible in pushing this story as hype, especially after yesterdays story created such a stir in your comments. Might as well milk it for all it's worth, huh?

I have always taught my kids to think before they act, rather than make excuses after the fact. There are some things that cannot be taken back, and mommy and daddy can't just bail you out. I hope they are justly punished (no matter who their parents are) and hopefully these students will have learned the lesson (the hard way). Unfortunately, that's life. I know it was a dumb high school incident, but at 18 they know right from wrong. Now they will pay the price.

Now the Vindicator needs to realize it was a dumb high school incident as well, and move on. Can we please stop sensationalizing this, and report some serious news.

Thank you.

10boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't really care what school they go to, what color they are, or what video games they play. I think they should all get the maximum penalty to send a message to all the wanna be tough guys that don't think before they act.
I think that the readers of this newspaper should ring Judge Hunter's phone off the hook to tell him that we voted him in to rid us of these types of CRIMINALS and suggest the harshest penalties he can dish out. Here's some help, the number for Canfield Court is 330-533-3643

11randomtask21(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

well fellows, the Malvasi "brawl" was not completely revealed to the public, thus many of the incompetent viewers incorrectly saw the mooney kids portion of the fight not how they were provoked by the Malvasi's.You chastize beinghonest for his/her comments on these stories but he/she is just stating his/her opinion yet you do not reprimand any one making belligerant comments towards ALL OF MOONEY. Now if you want to get down to the point, can the Malvasi's please reveal there second camera that was hidden outside of there home and reveal all of the tapes. I will assure you that viewers will change their thoughts about this brawl if they knew what really happened. Malvasi clearly approached kyle white and choked him and the outcome of that wasnt too good for Mr.malvasi. How do you explain the ambiguity of your reporting?

12Heard_it_all_before(62 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder what most parents would do (without question or investigation), if a large group of people arrived at their home and began a heated confrontation with one of their children. If 10-14 people were beating one of my kids in his own front yard, I don't think grabbing a few of them, even by the neck, would be all that unreasonable. Ten beating one can easily become a fatal attack and there are numerous incidents from this area where that has occurred. What would you suggest - letting the beating continue until police arrive? Not in my world....

13beinghonest(22 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Another thing Mr. Sweetwood,

Back to your reporting bias and your reporters attack on Cardinal Mooney, why was Cardinal Mooney contacted for a comment? Why wasn't Canfield High School contacted for a comment for the Canfield student charged with assault?

14valleyred(1093 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

The Vindicator did nothing wrong. Anyone who reads the sports section knows that the Vindicator has had a love affair with Mooney High School for decades.

This is the Vindicator being the first to break a major story that is now the talk of the entire community. When you are trying to attract readers to your newspaper, breaking major stories is one way to do just that.

I find it ridiculous that people are attacking the Vindicator for mentioning these students attend Mooney and Canfield High Schools. What do you honestly expect them to do? Would it be better for the Vindicator to leave their readers in the dust by just saying fourteen teenagers were in a fight in Canfield? NO, people are going to want to know where these students go to school, or if they even do attend school. I would agree if it were a one on one fight, but this was a fourteen on one attack on a student with VIDEO FOOTAGE, of course it is a huge story. And in case you didn’t see it, the one students throwing the punches with his left hand had a CMHS Lettermen Coat on.

The Vindicator did Nothing wrong here. This is what journalism is all about.

15beinghonest(22 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with their coverage of Mooney sports. I just think the Vindy used poor judgement in how it reported this story.

16Heard_it_all_before(62 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

There may be a lesson for the Mooney and Canfield supporters here - especially about ganging up on someone and/or starting a fight. As you may have already learned by being on the receiving end of a "beating", never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the roll (newspaper). In a pi--ing contest, EVERYONE gets wet....

17Mahcntyvoter(30 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Journalism is about honesty. Leaving portions out of the article is not honesty. This paper is repeatedly losing it's trust in readers. yes there are bits missing from the clip and as you can tell when the father comes back into the picture he is wearing gloves that police wear when they are about to arrest someone. Why would a grown adult have these on when an unexpected group of kids came to his door?

18scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Geez, I can't believe I'm doing this..... in defense of the Vindicator.........
Mr. Sweetwood is correct and the reporting of this story and the contunuation of this being a lead story is justified. What other story generated over 160 comments in ONE day recently?
If I were a reporter I also would have contacted Mooney for comment - that's the school that had the mob (gang??) show up at a private residence to "talk" to one person. What would have been gained by contacting Canfield schools for comment on it's 1 student?
Obviously that's why you are not a journalist, and neither am I, but I do have common sense.

19Max(81 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

ValleyRed,
I'm not saying that the Vindicator shouldn't report it, or shouldn't mention that the students are from Mooney or Canfield. They absolutely deserve the repercussions of their actions. But the fact that the Vindicator has made this out to be the major news story of the last two days is ridiculous. That alone is my argument with them.

Heard-it-all-before,
What in the world are you talking about? Who picked a fight with the newspaper? We're just asking that they put this incident into perspective, that's all. I'm all for learning a lesson, but you need to figure out what you're saying here.

Lastly, I would love an answer from someone as to why there are portions of the video tape missing, especially since the placement of the missing parts are interesting -- first, when Malvasi Sr. comes out of the the house to confront the boys (wearing gloves, by the way. No coat, no hat, just gloves. Ready for a fight, maybe?), and again when he is returning to the house after confronting them. Just very convenient that these minutes are missing, especially since apparently Mr. Malvasi himself submit this tape to the Vindicator.

20beinghonest(22 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Geez - Mooney did not have a "mob (gang??) show up at a private residence to "talk" to one person", as you so ignorantly pointed out. Yes, you have proven your "common sense".

21proud1(6 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Ok... let me re-write this story for you. My scenario on this whole thing.

1st of all: Those who were just standing around... lucky Malvasi or even your friend didn't have a gun. You may have been shot in the crossfire. Its stupid onlookers who get hurt.

2. Jackett should have filed a police report at the scene of his incident.

3. Malvasi/ His Mom/ His Dad/ the dog - whoever it was, shouldn't have opened the door. They should've called the cops.

4. The dad had every right to clean house! Stay the hell off my property and don't attack my kid. I would do the same. Actually, see #3. I would've called the cops. But if someone answered the door first and my son was outside fighting, I'm there. He's my kid! Sorry!

5. I sleep in shorts and a t-shirt. I've answered the door the same way. Maybe thats why Malvasi is in a tshirt.

6. The Mooney students should not be suspended. They did not fight at a school function or on school property. This is a legal system issue. Not a school related one.

7. Just because they weren't charged with an alcohol offense doesn't mean it wasn't involved. It also doesn't mean it was either.

8. If you think its ok to put keys in a fishbowl and let under 21 people drink... read this: http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/I...

9. I don't care how many prior fights Malvasi was in... 14 people showed up at his house... big mistake.

10. The video skips for a minute. Watch the time closely. Where is that footage? Let us see the other cameras.

11. Mr. Malvasi doesn't have to be shady because he has security cameras. I have them too. Its to protect belongings in my home. Rob me and I know who you are idiots! Plus I know who is at my front door when the doorbell rings which makes me think that Malvasi was dumb because on the video you can clearly see 14 people outside.

I hope Judge Hunter lays down some smack! Good job Vindicator on the story, it is news, and your job is to report the news and sell yor paper! Thanks for the article.

22Jas1017(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I do not think that the Vindicator is wrong at all. I am a Youngstown resident and a Cardinal Mooney Alumni.Other schools particularly the Youngstown City Schools have been in the newspaer on numerous occasions for incidents such as this among other things. This is not discrediting to the school. It just proves that it doesn't matter who you are, what town you are from, or school you go to, that teens will make bad choices. NONE of them were right and they all deserve their sentencing no matter what.

23tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I think all these boys (men) deserve the fullest punishment. If not they will never learn. They did ambush this boy, it was 1 against 14? How is that fair.? If the Canfield boy hit the one Mooney boy then it was between them two boys, not a whole gang of boys. If that was on another side of town or at Youngstown..Puplic school this would really be a different story. We all know that is so true, make them face their punishment,,

24jrolley325(784 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

i think we should organize a march in protest of charging these 10 kids....it worked for the "jena 6" didn't it?

25scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

jrolley i suggest you and your 3 friends organize that march for these 10 men caught on tape instigating a fight on private property. That's all on tape for the judge to see, everything else is hearsay with no cooberating evidence or witnesses that aren't bias to one or the other.

Good Luck with that!

26shek107(15 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

This is really getting old! All of the boys need to grow up and they all deserve a lesson. If the Mooney boys deserve to go to jail for assault, then so does the Malvasi boy. As we all remember the Malvasi boy initiated the fight. People are being very biased because this is not the actual video clip. The actual clip shows Malvasi Sr hitting a boy that had not laid his hands on his son. These boys were dumb to go to a private residence to fight because they got caught. If it were my best friend that got hit, then I would go hit someone else too. There are a lot more important things going on in the news such as killings, but this is the major article headlined from the past two days. THATS MESSED UP!

27allstar720(246 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

lol!

28mstng_sally(13 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Must be a REALLY slow news week for this to be such a 'hit' on vinday.com!!

BTW: whatever happened to the idiot who drug the person down Midlothian under his car, thru the McDonald's drive-thru, and then took off? Never hear anything about that, other than he was arrested.

29Mahcntyvoter(30 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

All I am saying is that before reporting a story you need to do an investigation. First off the tape is missing parts. Secondly kids fight and make up all the time. Why would this kid answer the door unless he was expexting them. Even maybe invited them? And daddy just happened to have fighting gloves on. And when mommy called the cops she knew who they were and why they were there so quickly. Come on people, THINK. You might sleep with your shirt off but so you sleep with fighting gloves on? And why would you even open the door. HELLO, Something smells a little fishy all the way around.

And as for the indicator they need to just print facts. Why is this video even on here with parts of the tape missing? Don't put videos on your paper website without displaying the whole thing. It looks bad!

30Youngstown123(3 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

ok if 10 dudes come to my house im protecting MY HOUSE? you have all the right in the world to protect your property and your family? i dont even kno who these dudes are but if 10 dudes come walkin up to a mans door that gives u all the right to protect everything thats inside? i mean you can expect that goo goo gah gah baby talk from mooney...lol if u read all the posts you can tell whos a mooney student or a mooney parent its just funny to me. you cant protect kids that are stupid. why should they get a break? because they attend mooney? or you jus think all people deserve a second chance? cmon now

31Youngstown123(3 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

and you think it was wrong to put the school name in the article? your dumb son was wearing a mooney jacket??? what you expect?? blame that on your kid not the vindicator..go meet in a field and fight like men instead of bein lil girls and go to a mans house with ten people lol

32shek107(15 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Michael -- Bad decision to hit Dominic.

Mooney boys -- Bad decision to fight at a private residence.

Vindicator -- Bad reputation to put an edited video on the internet.

Michael -- Get better we have sympathy for you.

Mooney boys -- Learn from this mistake, we know youre not bad kids and we love you.

Vindicator -- Find a new cover article, it will be pretty pathetic if Cardinal Mooney is tomorrows header.

33valleyred(1093 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Mooney Students.. You are doing a disservice to your school with the immature comments defending these kids. You can defend you friends, but at least do so in a way where you don't embarrass yourselves and your school!

34beinghonest(22 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Vindy,

35teddybear6(34 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Have no idea why my comment was removed. Didn't call anybody names, I guess.

36randomtask21(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Youngstown123, just shut your mouth and go back to east or where ever the hell you get that ghetto vernacular from and mind your own buisness

37NewsReader88(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree that it was irresponsible of the Vindicator to put an edited video on the internet. I thought that newspapers were supposed to get both sides of the story, and OBVIOUSLY an edited video by Malvasi Sr. is only one side of the story. I hope this mishap is fixed.

Also, it is a bit ridiculous that this story of high school kids fighting has become front page material... what is Youngstown coming to? Let's move on to some REAL news now.

I think what the Mooney kids did was irresponsible and wrong, but I do not think they deserve the full punishment. They are still immature and in high school. I do not believe they fully understand the stupidity of their actions and I think that needs to be taken into effect. They are all a bunch of high school kids who let their emotions get the best of them and got out of hand in a fight. They need to learn their lesson, but I think they are way too young to receive the full punishment.

Now, let's move onto some REAL news and forget this high school drama!

38Omniscience(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Sweetwood,

I just have some minor issues that need clearing up with the Vindicator. First of all, why does this video clip of the assault skip an entire minute? Second of all, why did this piece of news get precedence over 1st degree murders for the front of this webpage two days in a row? Thirdly, why does the article mention that: “Testosterone in excessive doses can effect behavior negatively.” when clearly it cannot be proven that any of these students have any type of hormone-inducing supplements? Please respond back.

39atlanta(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

The video skips because it only tapes when there is motion. If you watch closely when the crowd moves away from the camera's range it will stop then continue again when there is movement. I have the same type of camera and that's what it does.

40argar5(20 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

teach them a lesson jail time

41hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

They were referring to the natural testosterone of young men, not supplements, but now that you mention it... it might explain some things.

But even without steroids, somehow, the school seems to foster an agressive attitude. Check out the comment from "keepnreal" above.

I understand that some of those posting here have been students, but it is also apparent that adults have condoned the behavior within earshot of the students.

Certainly they seem more upset about coverage of the incident than about the misbehavior. They also seem to be agreeing that this has happened before, but that it is of no concern to them.

I hate a defense that tries to justify an action by pointing to others. Whether or not Mr. Malvasi is "nice"; regardless of a recent misbehavior at Ursuline or if there was a crime committed by someone somewhere else at some time...none of this diminishes the guilt of the fourteen men.

42metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

They should all get sometihng out of this. It does not matter who started it,all are gulity.

43mooneystudent(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I think that all those boys at Mooney should have the right time in jail.
Everyone at that school for the most part are just focused on football (and from what i've heard they are all jerks). I'm tired of these types of boys getting away with things just because they play football, its rediculous.
I think they deserve jail time def.!

44rmzrez(114 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

WHATS THE BIG DEAL ??? IN MY TOWN OF BOARDMAN THIS GOES ON EVERY NIGHT .
THATS WHY WE ALL CARRY A GUN OUT HERE . SHOOT THE ANIMALS.

45cardinal20100(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

i cant say i completely agree with what happened here. 14 on 1 was a little bit uncalled for. i do, however, understand where theyre coming from. mooney boys band together through and through and obviously people dont understand that kind of bond. they arent a bunch of thugs as previously suggested they were just standing up for their friend. most comments are from outsde people who dont know the people or the situation so its a little bit hard to give your opinion dontcha think? i think that jail time is a bit extreme for a fight. but i guess everybody is entitled to their opinion. well find out tonight i guess.

46msweetwood(161 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for all of the comments (well, most of the comments) during the past two days.

We have received many inquiries (some from parents of the Mooney students involved) about other angles of the video tapes, skips, etc. What we did was to make a public records request to access the video used by police in their investigation. Whatever gaps, etc. exist as the police saw it, so I cannot answer part of your inquiries other than to say we will look into it. The police have thus far told us the video given to us as a response to our request was as they received it.

However, to insist repeatedly that the Malvasi family provoked the scene on the video seems to side-step legal definitions. If 14 people trespass on someone's private property at 1 a.m., they are likely going to be seen as the provocateurs, hence 14 cases of "aggravated trespass."

Now, we are relying on the police record although we welcome any on-the-record statements by any party involved. However, as I explained to some callers, the video is a two-way street.

How many of those involved would have been forthcoming during the police investigation without the video? How many hysterical posts would there be here denying anything at all happened without security cam evidence? People are already denying what their eyes see as it is – I can only imagine the posts without the video.

So, to solely focus on a one-minute gap and not the entirety of the video is a bit disingenuous. I agree, however, any gaps are worth addressing and we will.

Also, in terms of Mr. Malvasi's alleged behavior, as I offered one caller identifying himself as a parent of one of the accused, if you would like us to switch our focus from the students to the parents, then let us focus on all of the parents, starting with these questions: What was your student/juvenile doing out at that hour and why didn't you know what he was up to?

Seems to me there is plenty of blame to go around, even among the parents.

The "hormone-inducing supplements" question did, however, give me a chuckle at the end of a long day. I think we all understand the point Judge Dellick was making...

Mark Sweetwood
Managing Editor

47allthatreamains(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

mikethemexican, i just have a quick question, do you only hope the mooney kids get what they deserve or malvasi sr and jr also?

48GiGi(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

If you are a parent...YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE. This is especially so if you agree with the statement that Judge Dellick made, " The smartest kids do the dumbest things in certain situations."

I am not too old to remember partaking in a few "dumb" situations as a young adult. Is there really anyone out there who can THRUTHFULLY say that THEY HAVE NEVER made a poor decison? I guess the only exception would be if GOD, himself were reading this comment!

Life is a long journey of lessons. Instead of judging or taking a stance, let us ALL, including the youths in this situation, learn from their prospective decisions.

And "if" you are a parent reading this, please be intelligent enough to NEVER, utter the word NEVER, in regard to your own child/children's decisions!

You NEVER know what the future has in store for them or yourself/selves.

49antonunj(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Well if only the Mooney football team displayed this agression against Stubenville in their playoff game last year...

50randomtask21(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

antonunj, real mature bringing in football. i got an idea hb you just stfu, and focus on the real problems here.

51dawgalong(86 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Sweetwood,
BRAVO, a clear, consice reply. I applaud your responce. The only question I have not observed in comments regarding this vicious, cowardly attack is "Why were these cowards in Canfield"? What business did they have here?
The lesson learned for the Mooney faithful if you should decide to come to Canfield, at your established ratio, if you send the entire student body, we'll counter with: 6 carnies left from last years fair, the ladies guild for historic restoration, a couple bushels of corn, and a Shetland pony. If you're still thinking about it, one of the carnies has a limp. Sound fair?

52valleyred(1093 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Haha... Nice response Mr. Sweetwood. Your response to the parents question about Mr. Malvasi Sr. is classic.

I bet traffic wise, this has been your best two day period ever on this site.

53randomtask21(8 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

mooneystudent, there were boys involve in the altercation who dont play football, they dont get away with stuff at school, so dont call out the football players or anyone else for that matter. Thomas and Timlin, as seen in the video are not involved in the fight. Dont generalize everyone calling them all jerks. You've heard they were all jerks, but you dont really know them. Thomas, Owen Timlin, and Dan McGlone are great people. McGlone is even seen breaking up the fight and trying to mediate it. Im not defending what those who threw punches did, but the three mentioned before were did nothing and were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

54josso69(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

What can I say other than Sanctity, Scholarship and Discipline, send these Mooney punks to jail. I also went to Mooney, and I know some of these kids personally. Some people say this is about "brotherhood'? Give me a break, this is about 14 kids driving around and looking for trouble.

They think they're untouchable, but they're stupid enough to pull a stunt like this, I'm not giving the Malvasi kid a free pass, charge him too, but you shouldn't have 14 people trespassing on private residence. I'm not surprised at this at all. show some class Mooney

55Loco_INSANENO(3 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

You cant do this crap in Boardman. This wouldnt of ended nicely for the 14 kids. Anyways, who Malvasi Sr., you people speak of him as someone whose important. I never heard of him before.

56Max(81 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

So, Loco INSANENO, you know ALL the "important" people in town? Didn't think so.

Dawgalong, please know what you're talking about before you comment. What do you think, that just because Mooney is in the city, the kids only live within the city? It's a parochial school, and kids from all over the greater Y-town area attend. What business do they have coming to Canfield? Actually, most of the kids involved LIVE in Canfield, Boardman and Poland. They were at a Mooney students house in CANFIELD already when Malvasi Jr. decided to punch one of them for the great crime of blocking the street. So get a clue before you make uninformed comments.

I'm not defending these students at all. They deserve whatever punishment is coming to them. But I'm getting really tired of uninformed people making stupid comments in this situation without knowing what they're talking about.

And to Mr. Sweetwood - it is very obvious from your smart aleck remark addressed to Mooney parents how anti-Mooney you are, and that you are thoroughly enjoying stirring the pot with this story.

57clevelandsports13(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hello friends, I have lived in the valley all of my 25 years ( -4 with college) I went to a valley high school, that was not Canfield or Mooney. But I do know live in Canfield.

Two things, well maybe three

1)I never knew a Mooney student when I was in high school, I did have friends from most other school. But since then I have meet a good dozen money grads. Out of that dozen I can only hang out with one, due to the fact that the other 11 are jerks.
2)I don’t know why people are making fun of Canfield and this great town. Maybe it’s the fact they can’t live here?
3)Mark Sweetwood, great job! When I was in high school my fiends and I did something dumb as well, you what to know what the vindicator did? A headline saying “6 student athletes from --------- arrested” So it goes each way!

This is not go for either school, but it has made my past two day at work go by fast!

58momOF3boys(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Seriously, people. I am glad that this wasn't my house. No matter what kind of thug or SOB my son is - they come like this in the middle of the night, to mess with ME (I paid for the house after all); there is no saying what would this MOM do.
Most likely, one of them (the one in Mooney Jacket) would get a bullet in his a**. The other ones would scatter then.
And no - Ohio Law would not save them.

This is just MOM talking

59momOF3boys(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah - I am also on my way now to get two really vicious Dobermans, just cause I'm raising 3 boys in Canfield (and I AM a Mooney graduate, thank you).
Oh man - could you picture that greeting...
mamma's little doggy would greet you by your neck.
RLMAO

60Anon404(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Nobody owes anybody an apology. The Vindicator has been doing this to schools, towns, and cities alike for a long time. I am happy its Cardinal Mooney instead of Struthers or Campbell.

Nice article Vindy

61LETSgetREAL(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

In my honest opinion something like this has been long overdue to Cardinal Mooney. For too long i have heard parents and students bad mouthing local public school students and their parents when they happen to get into trouble. And they always use the "my child goes to Mooney they would never do that" attitude which is bs. The parents and students of mooney think of themselves as better then everyone else. Its about time they had a wake-up call... As for the kids involved i personally know all of them and for the most part they are good kids although some of them are a$$holes and take the Mooney mentality way too far.

62truth5(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

you come to my house and pull that crap, i'll beat the kids and not think twice. i will defend my family and personal belongings anyway i sem fit.
P.S.
i would have hit more than one of those punks mr malvasi. they were 18, tell them "welcome to the real world".

63Accuracy(6 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Sweetwood,

64irish10_7(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm a student at ursuline and I know 5 of the mooney boys involved I went to grade school with them. No the boys had absolutely no business going to Malvasi's house but Malvasi had no business puching Jacket in the face that was a tad uncalled for. To LETSgetREAL I disagree with your comment that mooney parents and students think they're better then everyone else because the reality is alot of people in this world think that way. There are people in every school district that thinks that way not just Mooney, you could say that of Canfield, Poland, Struthers, Campbel, and Ursuline as much as I don't think that but I am bias because I go there. As a catholic school student I will support the catholic schools in this area no matter if we are rivals or not but those mooney boys did something very stupid as did the canfield boy. Also as a catholic school student I am continually reminded that I represent my school in everything I do these high schoolers forgot that. As students we represent our school it is our only job neither group has put up a good mark for either school. Catholic schools are on a higher standard because of what they are so when they fall they fall hard but this will pass and there will be another big fit eventually let this fade I can almost guarantee those kids regret what happened. It was stupid, it was a mistake, but we are all human lets not forget that.

65Education_Voter(828 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

We can only hope that the pleas made over the past two days calling for understanding of immature youthful misbehavior will now extend toward students of other schools. Very unkind statements were made here last year after a short fight at a Chaney/East basketball game resulted in three days of headlines in the Vindicator.

Somehow, those parents and students didn't deserve understanding. But YCS has been taking a hard look at themselves, and Mooney should do the same.

Drinking, mob behavior excused as "brotherhood", and arrogance shouldn't be part of the "Mooney mentality."

66cm1015(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

momof3boys no one cares that you are getting two "vicious dobermans" haha or the two "tough" comments you just left. get off the site. go put a bullet up your a**

67Sportsfan(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Have the students apologized yet? I think that would go a long way with making this situation better.

68Cardinal_2_Cardinal(3 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

There has got to be more to this story. Something else had to happen leading up to the events of the entire evening.....from both sides. Eventually, all will be revealed. The speculation listed in several posts makes our area sound rediculous and uneducated. I am confident that the outcome and punishment will not please all. The entire incident is unfortunate for all involved and the fuel of the community side taking fire is not good for any of us now. Mistakes were made. Things went to far. Reading all of the posts, it seems that the incident has turned into a massacre of the Malvasi and Mooney reputations. We need something positive in this time of unrest....focus on something else....please.

69disheartened(7 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

There is so much I can say in response to everything, but I'll try to keep it brief. First of all, anyone who thinks these "boys" deserve a second chance must realize this is their 3rd or 4th (for some of them anyway). They have been getting away with stupid crap like this for some time, if they were disciplined appropriately for some of the smallerr acts, it may have never errupted into this. This is not a dig at Mooney or any other community in particular, I believe it's an epidemic all over the country these days, "kids" do something stupid and excuses are immediately made for them. I have faith that those who should be punished will be (or at least I can hope).

70computer_rick(137 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hooray! I knew this would blow up beyond all proportion. Let's make no mistake about this. The posts that are not, uhhhh, shall we say "happy" with Mooney being mentioned are I would guess, alumni past and present (who else would even care?). As far as Canfield vs. Mooney. Gee, tough call, as a large percentage of Mooney students are from Canfield (even though Canfield provides a statistically better education).

So, what to do? I say, sit back and enjoy it! I love the decibel level, rising, and the tautological arguments being bandied about.

In all sincerity, this is just as vapid as when the South siders get irritated when a few extra high profile crimes occur, and out come the pitchforks on both sides, us vs. them. Funny!

Serously though, just because 10 or so (possibly drunken or high, not that that ever happens at Mooney) male kids show up at 1 a.m. in your front yard, on your own homes porch?!? If this WAS Youngstown, or of those kids were of the, shall we say were of the "wrong" geneological persuasion, it would have been a lot less "our poor little dears were just out for an evening of hi-jinks and fun!" and a whole lot more of "Hey, we have to protect ourselves, they deserved to be shot!".

I guar-an-tee...

71computer_rick(137 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Of course, if there WERE ten black kids sitting parked in Canfield in a couple of cars at 1 a.m., every Mother's son knows that the P.D. would have been right on the scene after a hundred frantic calls to 9-1-1...

Never would have made it to Malvasi's street, let alone his front porch...

72dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Here are my thoughts. If a group of kids were on my front porch, why answer the door, or if my child is on the porch too, open the door and pull him in? I mean so many things went wrong, and it seems there are alot of egos and hot headedness going on here! When are they going to learn fighting doesn't solve anything. They need to get over themselve and realize they are not tough guys, and act like human beings and not animals!

73shek107(15 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Why did the Malvasi's open the door to the Mooney boys in the first place? If that were my family, I would have identified the Mooney boys and called 911 without opening the door and charge them all with trespassing. Maybe the Malvasi boy knew he would get in trouble for hitting Jackett so he wanted the boys to hit him back to justify his actions?

74Accuracy(6 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

"Mr. Sweetwood,

As the Managing Editor, can you please explain why an article printed during the early morning hours of March 18th would state that 4 juveniles were charged when no charges of any kind have been filed against any of them? Inexusable."

Over 12 hours later and no response from Mr. Sweetwood? What happened, did he suddenly stop reading these posts or is he trying to figure out how his paper reported something entirely fictional as "fact"?

75Heard_it_all_before(62 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Tell me again which side you are on - the Sharks or the Jets??

76scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Accuracy
Give Mr Sweetwood a break for crying out loud! His ONLY job is babysitting this friggin thread!
He probably has to go home every now and then to shower and change.

As to your question - there are several possible answers.....only one of which would involve fabrication....... so take a valium and turn on reruns of Oprah. Mr Sweetwood will respond IF and WHEN he wants to. Want answers quicker? Drive (or take the bus) to the paper and ask someone - you are obviously the only one here who cares.

77Accuracy(6 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I think you're right. I might be the only one concerned with the truth. STILL NO JUVI CHARGES FILED = FALSE STATEMENT MADE WITH ACTUAL MALICE. Does the term 'actual malice' ring any bells, Mr. Sweetwood?

78Education_Voter(828 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

So, it is not enough that a mob goes to intimidate a young man who is too uppity... now we must also try to intimidate the reporters?

79dawgalong(86 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Max,
Sorry if I seem "clueless", all I did was read the article above that lists the locations the individuals of the "alleged" crime live. But, being "stupid" I counted really hard and I came up with 2 from Boardman, 2 from Poland, and 3 from Youngstown. The only listed individual from Canfield is the victim.
You may feel that Younstown encompasses all of Mahoning county, but I would beg to differ. I was born in this area and always say I hail form the community in which I live. First Austintown, now Canfield. Never Youngstown. I attended Catholic schools until 8th grade but my parents would not allow me to attend the High Schools because of the area in which they reside. Mind you, this decision was made by my parents 32 years ago. Besides, they did not have the money. No silver spoon here.
I must say that the fact that these THUGS attend a Catholic School does not make me upset, it makes me ashamed. My intent was to point out the barbaric and cowardly actions of the crime.
I also must admit to not being totally truthful in my previous post, I failed to inform the Mooney faithful that the Shetland pony has a mean streak. He tends to kick, but unlike the cowards in the video, he won't kick a man when he is down.
He must have been brought up right.

80Accuracy(6 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Education_Voter, I'm not intimidating Mr. Sweetwood at all. A newspaper should report NEWS, not create it. Do you disagree with that?

Isn't this entire thread about people owning up to their mistakes and being held responsible for them? He interjected himself into this thread as the Managing Editor and I called him out on something contained in the article that was, and nearly three days later still is, 100% false. Not one of those juveniles has been charged with anything. Where is he now?

I'd welcome him to tell me that I'm wrong, but he can't. It doesn't make him a bad guy or a horrible Managing Editor and he didn't disgrace his parents. He made a mistake, or at the very least allowed a mistake to occur by failing to properly manage and edit the story. Is it only The Vindy and Mr. Sweetwood that can't be held accountable for their mistakes and poor judgment?

81Education_Voter(828 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Accuracy,
When you calm down, you might realize that the fact that the 4 juveniles were not charged is just a mercy, not a feather in the Mooney cap.

Isn't it inconsequential when they are or aren't charged, given the whole situation? Here you have 4 juveniles, out in the wee hours of morning, probably leaving a drinking party, driving around town in two cars (isn't there a limit now on how many teenagers you can put into a car with a teenage driver?), having the police called on them after one of their friends punched a peer's father... and you want to bicker about whether the reporter should have printed what he/she was told about pending charges?

82wrestler0208(7 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm a college student at Ohio State and when I got back to the area today and heard about this stroy i was utterly outraged. I understand that the Canfield kid threw the first punch but i doubt he did it for no reason, something had to of happened. Not that it means that it is right to do that because its not. But how in the world does that give justification for FOURTEEN boys to go over to his house, rip him out of his house and beat his face in for lack of a better phrase. And to top it all of they beat on a grown adult man/father/husband. What does that say about these kids? It tells me that they think they are hot shots because they go to Mooney. Mooney people can tell me all they want that thats not true but I've grown up in this area my whole life and it is the truth. Canfield and Poland are the same way. Its kids who excel in athletics and are treated like royalty at their schools. It also doesn't help that the MAJORITY of their family are very wealthy and have powerful names and they can get their way out of anything. I would almost be willing to bet anything that these kids will have little ramifications of their actions. Hopefully the justice system will prove me wrong. For the person who said that the only reason this was front page news was because of the video obviously has kids at Mooney or knows these kids and doesnt think this is a big deal.
They're lucky that it's not national news, yet. Does anyone remember the story about a year ago when some kids invited a girl over and then beat the hell out of her and video taped it and put it on youtube? That made national headlines. I dont see how this is any different in my opinion its worse, they went into a kids house drug him out and beat him along with his father. These kids better get a wake up call that they are not invisible just because of the school they go to, who their parents are, or who they THINK they are. I hope these kids go to jail for a long time. But we all know how the justice system actually works in this country and more than likely they will get a slap on the wrist.

83wrestler0208(7 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

84computer_rick(137 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Gabby "accuracy" Johnson is right!

Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age!

85msweetwood(161 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Thursday morning, I sent Accuracy a private message through this system so as to not embarrass him/her. I can't tell from the latest posts whether my message was not received or merely rejected. Allow me to expand upon that note:

Accuracy, there is little you have said in any post that defines "accuracy."

1.) Both of the skips/gaps you mention come significantly AFTER the driveway brawl. So how could that make you suspicious of what REALLY happened before the gaps that is plainly visible to anyone who watches the video? It's just not logical.

2.) It's a dog, not a cat, walking around.

3.) I am not sure where your information came from about the juveniles. Perhaps you could state a source. As we reported, our information is from the police. Here is what we wrote:

"Four juveniles are also charged in the incident. Their cases will be reviewed by the Juvenile Justice Center at a different time. All four of the juveniles are charged with aggravated trespass and assault."

You might want to check a copy of the police report like we did. The report states:

"Prosecutor Moderelli authorized all criminal charges against the males present at the Malvasi residence. The four juveniles will have formal charges taken to The Juvenile Justice Center for their review."

Again on Thursday, we reported:

"Four juveniles are also charged in the incident on Timber Run Drive. Their cases will be reviewed by officials at the Martin P. Joyce Juvenile Justice Center, Youngstown, at a different time. All four of the juveniles are charged with aggravated trespass and assault."

In addition, I have personally spoken with a parent of one of the four juveniles who identified himself and substantiated that his son was charged.

If you have something to substantiate your claims, then do so.
As I have cautioned others, just because you can post here, that doesn't always mean you should. Ignoring my private message and pretending to call me out merely reinforces the old adage about getting into a debate with someone who can't tell the difference between a dog and a cat.

Mark Sweetwood
Managing Editor

86thatsfunny(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

i just think its really funny how the mom tells the 911 operator she loves him (did she ever take acting classes) Oh & maybe all you Malvasi supportors should look up the parents records I may be mistaken but I think they both have had a few assault charges on them. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

87hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

No, you reap what you sow. That's from the Bible.

There's also some interesting stuff in there about turning the other cheek, not bearing false witness against your neighbor, not intentionally dragging a person's reputation through the mud, etc.

88Justin2204(13 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

thatsfunny could have meant "you rip what you sew".
If he/she is in high school, there is a lot of that in home ec class, trust me.

Maybe for the combatants here, it should be, "you sew what you rip."