New duds, new date for Austintown school kids

Published: Thu, March 12, 2009 @ 12:07 a.m.

Spring break won’t be affected by the approved calendar change for the 2009-10 school year.

ELISE FRANCO

VINDICATOR STAFF WRITER

AUSTINTOWN — Some township students will be leaving some of their fashions home next year when they’ll head back to the classroom for the first time before Labor Day .

The board of education unanimously approved a start date of Aug. 31 for the 2009-10 school year and implementation of a dress code for grades six through 12 Wednesday night.

Board President Richard Zimmermann explained the calendar change by saying classes have always begun around that time.

In 2008, Labor Day was Sept. 1. “We’re not starting any later than we did this year,” he said.

The district normally starts after Labor Day, but because it falls on Sept. 7, a week later than last year, Curriculum Director Vince Colaluca said the early start will help maximize classroom time. The change will provide as many academic days as possible before students take the Ohio Graduation Test in March.

Zimmermann said the only major change made to the calendar at last week’s work session was the length of spring break. Colaluca said the original plan was to give the Friday before Easter and the following Monday and Tuesday, but Zimmermann said too many faculty members disagreed with that proposal.

“We talked with teachers and they were concerned over that,” he said.

The board agreed to a full week, so the last day of school, tentatively set for June 3, was pushed back to June 8.

So the Thursday before Labor Day will be a waiver day for all students.

“They will get off the Thursday and Friday for the fair,” Zimmermann said, adding, “A lot of kids buy their school clothes from money they make working at the fair.”

Chris Berni, middle school principal, said he was glad to see the hard work of the dress code committee pay off with a unanimous “yes” vote from the board. The committee of five building principals, four teachers, four parents and two board members, worked to create something that represents what an academic environment should look like, he said.

Berni said the new policy will be sent home with students in grades five through 11 and posted today on the district’s Web site, http://www.austintown.k12.oh.us/.

Appropriate bottoms are jeans, cargo, dress or corduroy pants and shorts, capri pants, skirts, dresses and jumpers no shorter than 2 inches above the knee.

Tops include shirts with buttons and a collar, turtlenecks, mock turtlenecks, crew-neck, V-neck, cardigan, half and full-zippered sweaters and sweater vests.

“Falcon wear” will be permitted, which means school-sponsored crew-neck T-shirts and sweatshirts.

Despite the seemingly wide-range of choice, one student said she doesn’t think the new code is completely fair.

“I think some of it is a little ridiculous,” Nicole Pavlichich said. “So the $100 tennis warm-ups I got last year, I can’t even wear those anymore?”

Pavlichich, a junior, said she didn’t think the dress code as a whole was a bad idea, however.

“I think that monitoring the dress a little bit more will end up being better for us,” she said. Zimmermann said teachers, as well as administrators, will be expected to appropriately police the dress code.”

efranco@vindy.com

Comments

1AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

They couldn't police the last dress code, what makes them all of a sudden able to police this one? Another dumb move by Austintown that is just going to push more and more people out. When your school is the only one in the surrounding districts that needs a dress code and starts before any of the other ones (while maintaining more waiver and 1/2 days then any other school district) you are only making the district less desirable to move into. It only took 2 years for the new Super and BOE without Creatore to turn the ALSD into the junior YCS. Pretty impressive!

2mytown(4 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Stupid, Stupid, and more Stupid. Why no hoodies. Just another stupid rule. For a stupid school system!

3AustintownParent(9 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Ridiculous doesn't begin to describe this policy. So my options now are buying my daughter a whole new wardrobe for her senior year or moving her to another school system? She owns a hoodie from every sports team or club she belongs to, and now can't wear them to school. After reading the complete dress code on the school's website, I'm even more amazed at what the school board and "dress code committee" feel are the most important things to focus on in our district. No gauged ears? So over the summer, 1/4 of the student body is going to miraculously have the holes in their ears close up? No Tshirts of any kind? They're teenagers for goodness sake. Open enrollment elsewhere is looking more and more attractive.

4AustintownParent(9 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh... and don't get me started on the new start date. How about we stop with having constant "teacher" days off and early excusals every month and keep the start date where it's always been. What's the reasoning behind starting a week earlier and then giving the kids 2 days of that week off?

5aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

That dress code is hardly even a dress code. By the looks of it, the only thing they've eliminated the kids from wearing is a t-shirt.

6AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Actually, if you read the full dress code on the website, it goes into a lot more detail than what they listed. They did a really good job in underplaying what they were really going to have as a dress code, I can tell you that. But, why should I be surprised that the admin and BOE are manipulating and misleading the residents and parents yet again, they do it with everything they say. Why would you have kids start early for 3 days of school? Really 3? The only reasons I can think of is so that our schedule runs closely with the parochial schools so the buses are running with all the kids from the beginning, or so that we are now starting the same time as YCS. We are open enrolling elsewhere, this recent fluster cuck and their refusal to take the residents objections into account is the straw that broke the camel's back for us.

7JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

AtownParent, if your child/children attend school elsewhere will you change your screen name? I'm told this can be a cumbersome process...clearly you have lots of important things to worry about already, I would think it has potential to be another straw-camel situation.

8AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

If you dress and parent your child appropriately, the dress code will be meaningless.

9AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey Jeff, thanks for contributing such a meaningful post on a story that affects your family. It is always appreciated.

AKAFR1 - I do dress my child appropriately, but that also includes t-shirts, sweat shirts and pants, and often knit pants - all of which are now prohibited by the dress code.

10rsg9233(6 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Atownparent,Good morning! I just had to respectfully respond to your comment about Austintown being turned into the "junior YCS". I'm a parent of three YCS students. All of them are intelligent, talented students who are an asset to their district. My daughter has attained one award after another and is a high honors student. My son is a great athlete with a great attitude who strives to do his best regardless of what others may be doing. I understand the last couple of years have been rough for our district, but, honestly, I'm tired of our students getting "dumped on" by so many people. There are some great kids in the YCSD. I know, because my husband and I have been very active in supporting a lot of them. The surrounding school districts don't get a lot of bad publicity, but unfortunately, it's not because there's not a lot of bad stuff going on. I believe it's more due to a lot of "covering up" of all this "stuff". My son recently attended drivers training. His instructor had all the students there anonymously write down any drug they had personally witnessed someone doing. The few students from the YCSD's list was very limited! I had to explain to my son some of the things he heard listed on the other student's list! He had never even heard of them! I have a nephew who attends a local parochial school, and I can't believe the stories he tells about parties that they have! Anyway, I would just like for everyone to take a look in the mirror before taking another "stab" at our students. There are some GOOD kids in our district, and my husband and I are determined to make sure the city sees this! Thanks, and God Bless!

11JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

The Dude abides.

12AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

First, I said the district nothing about kids. Second, you are tired of people "dumping" on YCS kids (which no one did) and then you happily "dump" on other districts kids by implying they are all drug-using partying slack offs?

13henryviii1509(274 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

the alternative is to let them continue to dress as sluts and hoodlums so the students attempting to get an education can become distracted, thus, leveling the playing field for the aforementioned.

14rsg9233(6 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Atownparent, I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intention at all. But, as a fellow active supportive parent, as I can see that you obviously are...you would be upset if your district was referred to in that manner. Furthermore, maybe I should have asked what you meant by your comment. What exactly is your definition of "a junior YCS"? No, you didn't specifically say "kids", but it's our kids that make up the district. I did not imply any such thing as what you stated (that was a bit harsh,actually), I simply stated facts. There are good kids in every district, and kids that need help to be their best in every district, and that's all I was saying. Maybe every district would be better if we, as parents took ideas from each other on how to be better wherever our children go to school. If you have any suggestions on how parents in our district could improve our district, please let me know, after all, it's about the CHILDREN, not us, or our opinions.

15henryviii1509(274 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

bring back corporal punishment, paddling or whatever you want to call it. Start by parenting your children, not expecting the school or the government to do it for you. Stop having babies out of wedlock and insist that the father step up and be responsible for his child.
Try these tips for starters.

16rsg9233(6 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO SEE ATOWNPARENT'S PERSONAL RESPONSE TO WHAT I WROTE TO HER. SOUNDS LIKE I HIT A NERVE...IF THIS ISN'T A PERSONAL ATTACK ON YOUNGSTOWN'S KIDS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS! I JUST PRAY THAT AS YOU STAND IN JUDGEMENT OF OUR CHILDREN, YOURS NEVER DO ANYTHING TO DISAPPOINT YOU...........This is the response I got....

I am so glad you registered just to be able to comment on my profile. I feel privileged!!! While you and your husband have done a wonderful job raising your kids, that is the exception in Youngstown, not the normal. I understand why you would want to make sure everyone knows that you have exceptional children, fact is that there are more troubled children in your district and the numbers prove it.

17rsg9233(6 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Henry, thanks for the input. However, I'm a little disappointed to see how back biting and immature this blog or whatever you want to call it actually is. We're all the same in God's eyes, so step down from your high horse, and realize you are not the judge....He is............WOW!

18Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

The dress code has been approved. Stop whining and deal with it. Stop shopping at the mall and learn to budget your money - then you wont have an issue buying whatever additional clothes are needed for the coming school year. Your kid can wear her hoodies and t shirts all she wants when she goes to college in another year and a half.

And dont bother with the personal attacks. I dont read them and I also dont care.

19rsg9233(6 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Morbidcherub, you're right. Thanks. Good luck in the coming school year!

20AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

HAHAHA obviously rsg, I was the one who hit a nerve, you posted that message you put on this thread on my profile and you sent a personal message. Oh, and just as a ps - that response is not private, it is sitting out there on your public profile page for everyone to see.

Why is it someone always has to throw God into these discussions? *rolls eyes*

21dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I just read this artical and the posts. They all make me laugh complaining about the new policies to Austintown schools. Why don't you use your energy to complain about something worth while. So what they are starting before Labor day, look around many school districts already do. As for the dress code/unifroms, don't worry eventually all the school district will get smart and have a dress code/uniform. I wore uniforms all throughout school, and actually loved it! Not having to worry about what to wear or being in a contest over who's clothes are better and more expensive! Deal with the changes or put your kids into another school district. Have fun trying to find one that fits all you want, it will not happen!

22tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

TO ATOWN PARENT:

YOU HAVE NO CLUE ON WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. DEAL WITH THE DRESS CODE. IT MEANS NOTHING..MY KIDS HAVE ALWAYS WORN UNIFORMS,AND I LOVE IT. THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT LIVING UP TO DRESSING LIKE YOU HIGH AND MIGHTY AUSTINTOWNERS. YOU KNOW THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT IN THIS WORLD (FOR THE NORMAL PEOPLE) LIKE JOBS, FEEDING YOUR FAMILY, BRINGING YOUR CHILDREN UP WITH RESPECT AND LOVE FOR OTHERS, YOUR HEALTH, THE ECONOMY. .. HELLO THE DRESS CODE IS CHANGING OMG.. DEAL WITH IT.. AND I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU TO NOT TALK ABOUT OUR CHILDREN IN YOUNGSTOWN BECAUSE REMEMBER YOU HAVE OPEN ENROLLMENT NOW YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE WITH OURS.. OMG.. YOU BETTER PACK UP AND MOVE.. YOU NEED TO REALLY FOCUS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE! AND IT IS NOT WHAT OUR CHILDREN WEAR TO SCHOOL..

GET A JOB.. YOU HAVE WHY TO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS.. Y-TOWN PARENT AND PROUD OF IT,,

23tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

AMEN ...DMETS YOU GO GIRL!

24AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh jebus, not another one...... Your school system is in the crapper and unfortunately in ALSD, they are making every move that YCS made in the past to get them to the point they are at - overinflated budgets, needless spending, not focusing on the education of students and not listening to the community. Once you lose the community, you lose the ability to raise cash. You have parents who do not want a dress code or open enrollment or early start (a lot more than just me, and a lot of teachers do not agree with this either) and they institute it anyway. That earns you no points and you take one more step in the direction the YCS did. Apparently none of you have been following earlier discussions - the issue is not the dress code, it is the fact that the administrators have not enforced the other one so why should they enforce this one? It would have been easier to just make kids follow the current code, which includes no hoodies by the way, but they didn't have the discipline to do that.

25metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

What use are the rues when no one follows them and they do not enforce them or they do and times and others times they let people get away with it? It's just bullcrap! And August 31st give me a break! Hmm,the Canfield Fair means nothing I guess. They figure only farm people go to it not us city folls. I can gurantee you no one will show up until Labor Day just to make a point. Well not everyone but they will probalby only have 60% attendance. Heck i would do just that to portest what they are doing,ruining a school system that used to be good And enough with all these Waiver days and Early dismissnals! I notice there are not as many next year. I wonder why that is? if we just deal with it as some claim they will do what they want and will not have to worry about anybody saing a thing. We have the right to ask and protest what they do and I say everyone in Austintown should go right down to the board meetting and do things Jerry Springer stye! No fighting just scream at them until they either leave or call the cops like little the wimps they are! They will have a special board meeeitng just to figure out why too. See we all know what they are doing,it's just hard to prove when they don't tell you a thing!! Down with Heuer down with the BOE!!!!!!

26aztek519(29 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Get over the starting date. Where I live, the students report back to school August 10th while the teachers report back August 3rd. Makes August 31st sound really nice, doesn't it?

27TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Two words for the new dress code in the Austintown Local School District....Baby Phat

28metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

What about just plain stupid? Imagine that you are in honor rol but you get spended for violating the dress code. well there goes your good grades unles you happen to be a teachers son or daughter then you get off with a slap on the wrisT!!!

29AtownParent4yrs(2 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

-No t-shirts? Ridiculous for this age group. I don't understand this rule. Are there offensive t-shirts out there? Sure. Do my children wear them. Hell no. Why can't the teachers and other staff just do their job and peg the offenders of offensive t-shirts and not have all of the remaining children suffer?
-I understand the no hoodies because of the use of iPods, phones, etc. but once again ... teachers do your job and target the offenders, not every student.
-Oh, but if you are an athlete and have Falcon Wear, you can wear a t-shirt. Or a cheerleader or dance-line student can wear a short skirt. Can you say discrimination? Once again it's Austintown bowing down to our athletes.
-Jeans only in black or blue? How about all the colored jeans so hot this year? You can wear colored corduroy or dress pants, but not jeans?
-Four parents helped with the decision for several hundred students? Makes no sense.

-I am seriously considering transferring my students to Canfield for Fall of 2009.

30dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I think dress code prepare them for later in life. Kids go to school to learn not for a fashion show!
AtownParent4yrs: I hope you plan on moving to Canfield cause they do not have OE. Oh yeah and tons of money to blow on clothes cause you will need to keep up with the Joneses if you want your kid to fit in!

31AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

That is so not true dmets. I know plenty of parents and children in the Canfield school district who do not "dress to impress". How does a dress code prepare them for later in life? By taking away their individuality so they look just like all the other kids - making them into a bunch of sheep? Apparently you have forgotten what college life is like too, because there are no dress codes there.

32AustintownParent(9 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Whatever happened to allowing kids some individuality and allowing them to be themselves? My daughter has gauged ears, a few piercings and loves her band Tshirts and hoodies. Guess what else, she's on the honor roll. She dresses as neither a "slut" nor "hoodlum", always presentable, but also always reflecting her personality. Not sure how creating a school full of stepford children will help them later in life.

33AtownParent4yrs(2 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

dmets - There is plenty of time to "prepare them for later in life." Wearing a t-shirt does not mean my child will not go to college and become a successful individual. AND if you don't realize it ... living in Austintown means we already feel the need to "keep up with the Joneses if you want your kid to fit in!" Have you seen the amount of Hollister, A&F and American Eagle in our school kids? My children would do just fine in Canfield, thank you very much.

I am not raising hooligans. I am raising children who are always on the honor roll. They have good values and morals. They dress appropriately; never wearing short skirts or shorts, no flip-flops to school, or shirts showing excessive skin. I don't see how wearing a t-shirt is going to cause havoc.

34austintownstudent(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

As a student, I feel that there should have been some sort of interaction with us in the decision making of the new dress code. According to Mr. Berni, 3 random high school students were selected and talked to the committee for half an hour, once. Yet, this committee has been deliberation for 12 months. At Fitch, we have grade level class officers AND a student council. Could they have not met with us to see our input? That's about 50 kids right there across a wider demographic which would have been a much better indication. Also, I'm the girl who was quoted in here; however, I was misquoted and I am against the new dress code's restrictive nature.

35Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Stepford children? Please. I went to catholic school for 8 years and still found ways to express my individuality. The dress code there was quite a bit more strict than any in a public school system. So what, your daughter has to give up her band hoodies during school hours. There are worse things that could - and DO - happen during the school day. She will just have to get clear acrylic retainers for her gauged ears & piercings. I have both, work in a professional office, and have gotten away with that for years. The retainers are inexpensive, easy to remove, and will allow her to keep her piercings for as long as she wants without violating the dress code.

Its called preparing you for real life, where people DO judge you on how you dress and what you look like, whether we like it or not. It's just how things are. Stop teaching your kids that if you whine enough about something, you can get your way. It's no wonder kids anymore cant cope with the world once they leave home. Life sucks sometimes, but thats how it goes.

36henryviii1509(274 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

LISTEN RSG,

You are the one that asked what you could do to improve your district (for the childrens sake). I was happy to extend some COMMON SENSE advice. Basic, ground level, starting place kind of suggestions. You seem to want everyone, including God, to raise your children for you. That's not what God, or your neighbors are for. That is your job.

School dress codes have been proven effective in re-directing childrens focus on academics and away from one-upmanship.

37YSUPenguin(30 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Just deal with it...there's worse things in life than your little darlings not being able to wear their precious t-shirts or hoodies to school. Trust me, they'll get over it.

38AustintownParent(9 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Catholic schools have been wearing uniforms for as long as I remember. If I wanted her individuality taken away I would have enrolled her in Catholic school. I chose to send her to the same public school that i went to in the 80s. When there was fluorescent clothing, big hair and giant earrings. Those clothes were no more of a distraction than Tshirts and jogging pants are now.

And as for retainers for her piercings, if you read the entire dress code on the schools website, you'd see those were specifically addressed and not allowed either.

And for the record, standing up for what you think is right, is not whining. Why is it no one can have an intelligent debate on these forums without being bashed by someone who feels they are superior?

39tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

To those parents in austintown saying they are thinking of transferring to Canfield or ? All I have to say is GOODBYE>>> WHINEY LITTLE BABIES, GO .. GOODBYE.....

40metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

It's not whining it standing up the people who are taking our freedoms away! we have every right to complain and put up a fight as long as it does not get out of hand. I hope they figure out how wrong this is before it costs them. less studnets equals less funding and a school district going down the tubes which it already is.

41ts1227(137 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

The same people who whine when anything requires them to spend a dime on anything are the same ones on here saying that the dress code is good.

Yet, lots of parents are going to spend unnecessary money having to buy (1) a new wardrobe for their kids and (2) a wardrobe that is more expensive, because the permitted clothes cost more than the "outlawed" ones. Bad timing on this one, with the economy (not to mention dress codes are worthless anyway)

42metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Esepcially when you do not enforece them. We are human bieng not robots that look the same and take commands form people. this is jsut plain stpuid and agiasnt human nature. I want to know what is wrong with Tee shirts ? We knew about hoddies ebing banned but t-shirts give me a dam break! enough!!!

43dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

AtownParent: You say you want your kids be able to be individuals, yet they were the same brands of clothes the other kids do. So that makes them followers then, right? As for not be an individual going to Catholic school, you are very saddly mistaken there! Ever child is an individual and express it in different ways! They do not need clothes in order to be an individual!

What is so wrong in a school wanting to have ALL their student look presentable and respectable? I see there to be no problem at all.
Also for all of you making comments about YSD. Their students follow a much more strict code, and if I am reading right, you think your kids are better and smart, so i think they can handle it too!
For Youngstown people, I was born and raised on the westside and very proud of it!

44dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

tll3023: I would love to see them enroll their kids into Canfield! They need to move to the district first! If not have fun finding an address for them to used then signing over custody to the people who live at that address!

45metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Live with it seems to be something alot of people say. well if you do that then they wil walk all over you! First comes you can't wear this and that,then comes you can't say this or that,and so on. It makes it eaiser from them to restirct even more things which is why it should be stopped. Like I have said before Heuer is notihng but a jerk and the BOE is full of morons! If he said the sky was blue I would not belive him or anyone on that baord!!

46Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, I've read the entire dress code policy and I have to say I was poised to flip out.... I didn't really see anything to freak out about. There is a lot of flexibility in the new dress code. As other posters on here can attest to, I am adamantly against uniforms and have said that if I didn't like the new code I'd send my daughter to another school. I can live without t-shirt/hoodies and so can my daughter. For the parents that are upset over the new code.... nothing lasts forever.... help vote those in power out when the time comes and effect the change you want.

47ysugirl913(14 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I may have graduated nearly 10 years ago from high school, but I do remember a few things.
1. Sweat pants were NEVER allowed in school.
2. Athletic gear was restricted for gym class.
3. Hoodies were discouraged and gave the teachers a reason to suspect you had something against policy on your person.
4. If this were restricting individuality, then the options would be down to slacks or skirts and dress shirts and sweaters, this doesn't sound like that bad of a code to me.
5. Take all of the energy exerted into worrying about this stupid issue and spend it with the kids you are so worried about.

48metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone see that part about no T-shirts or did they skip that part? You can not have a logo on them so that takes it almsot to a ban since most T-shirts ahve one or some writing on them. I will not get over it and this issue will not go away and for thsoe who say that get your darn heads out of the sands and take Heuer on like a mna!!!!

49dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I went and read the dress code. The only thing they are not able to wear are sweatpants/shirts, sweatshort, hoodies, and t-shirts. Big whoop! For those parents saying their children can not "express their individuality" you are just being whiney! That is a very lax dress code! Please, you people need to find something else to complain about! I could see if they decided the children were going to be taught by computers, robots, and machines, but we are talking about clothing! They want the children dress respectfully and not be offensive, and represent their school with dignity! I mean I have seen how some of them dress and I don't know how their parents let them out of the house in what they are wearing!

50metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Lax my butt you jsut etined at elast 5 thigns there you can't wwear the biggest beng T-Shirts. what in the world is worng wih wearing a T-Shirt? Tel me sometihng I can belive not some bs to live with it!!! They want to ruin our freedoms then we should fight them to the death!!!!

51dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Is it your freedom? NO! These are children who not adults and need rules of all kind to prepare them for later no in life!I know when my mom went to Chaney they were not even allow to wear pants, only long skirts and dress. I think the generations have gotten too lax and disrespectful! You are taking about t-shirts? There are so many reason to not allow t-shirts! Lets see one there are so many different kinds, who is to say to one is ok and one is not? So instead they say no to all of them! Like I said what is wrong with taking pride in your school and dressing respectfully! I think those things they said no to in the dress code are 100% right! They make a people look sloppy and even lazy!

52metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Baloney! How you act and what you wear are two diffrent things. One sized fit all is like saying well one apple is bad so lets thow them all of them out,even the goods ones. Does that really makes sense to you? If it does then I guess you don't have any sense!! If you take the easy way out it comes to bit you in the butt later. Ban T-shirts with profaniy or inapproiate yes but ALL of them heck no!! Everyone has rights not just people over 18,read the consistutuion you fool!!

53atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I just had to laugh when i read at the top of these comments when tll3203 called me a "high and mighty austintowner". That's some funny stuff right there.
school's starting early. it's stupid because of the days they are getting off right away, but i'll deal with it.

dress code: all i have to say is that the cheerleaders shouldn't be able to wear their little outfits on gamedays, and the "no tees" is petty.

but apparently i'm too high and mighty because i dress my elementary kids in tees in the warm weather and hoodies when it's cold because their classrooms are cold. Oh, and they wear t-shirts underneath.

54dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

metz: I have plenty of sense! I have enough to know that no matter what you will all keep complaining over a very lax dress code. You are also the people who will wonder why their child later on in life gets fired over not following the rules or trying to change the rules! You are fighting and complaining about t-shirts, and how the rights of the "good students" are being taken away. I think this is more about looking respectful. Yet you have not even tried to see my point, you just keep ranting about t-shirts! You are never going to sell me. I wore a uniform when i went to school and LOVED it! The kids will learn to adjust and be fine with it. Every generation get worse and why?, Read these board and it will give you a good indication!

55AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

There is nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe in. If more people were like that, then this country wouldn't be in the crap it is in. People who are afraid to change the rules are the ones who have caused this complacency in our country. We have let the politicians destroy our economy with that attitude.

I am assuming since you wore uniforms and lived on the westside that you went to a Catholic school. You knew walking in what you were going to wear. Going to a public school that has always allowed sweats and t-shirts (and yes, they have always allowed them) then getting that taken away is a completely different thing. And yes, t-shirts are a big deal because the number of t-shirts available to buy versus collared and button down shirts for girls is ridiculous. And yes, they do cost more than t-shirts. You ask metz87 to see your point, but you have yet to see ours. You can't expect her to see yours if you aren't willing to do the same. They could have enforced the old dress code if they wanted kids to look respectful, but they did not. They should have done their jobs in the first place and this wouldn't be an issue.

56Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

If whining about a dress code is considered 'standing up for what you believe in', then it's no small wonder this country is in big trouble. You people need to learn to pick your battles. I'm willing to bet there are many more important and worthwhile things that could be worth fighting the Austintown school board to save or change, yet you sit in front of your computer and whine about a dress code, all the while wondering why your district is going 'down the tubes'.

Get a clue.

57dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

T-sirt and sweatshirt have not always been allowed in school, not always! I talked to my mom and when she went to public school they were not allowed to wear those or any kind of pants. They wore skirts and dresses. That was the dress code! I understand some people do not like change, that is the way most people are, and it is ok, but you will learn to evenyually either accept it or transfer your children. What is more inportant the clothes they get to wear to school, or a good education with their friends?
Morbidcherub: YOu are exactly right, that is my point too!

58AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Mobidcherub, if you would read all the posts you would see that this is just another example in a long line of complaints many parents have against the BOE and Admin. Don't mind dmets' input, she doesn't like the school system at all, her kids are open enrolled elsewhere. I've been in this school system since the beginning, we have always been allowed to wear sweats and t-shirts (and that is going back a couple of decades). I'm sorry if your mom in the 50s couldn't, but that is just the times.

HAHA, every time someone has a problem in this area it is called whining. Pathetic, truly pathetic if that is what you call people who speak up against a bunch of elected officials who treat the residents like they had no act in putting them where they are and their opinions are useless fodder. The funny part is those complaining have kids in the district, those who are telling us to "quit whining" don't have any investment in this school system at all.

59Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

While you might have issues with the BOE & the school admin, airing it on a message board isnt the best or most productive way to get anything changed, now is it? No. And yes, what you are doing on this particular issue is most certainly whining becuase you are doing nothing at all that would get the BOE to even reconsider their decision. You are not speaking up against the elected officials. You are airing issues on an internet message board that the elected officials likely dont even read, and making it that much easier for people to take shots at you for complaining about something like this when there are so many other more important and valid issues in the area to worry about.

My guess on why the BOE ruled against T shirts is because people were letting their kids wear shirts with inappropriate things or saying on them, and rather than have to deal with oodles of kids wearing 'offensive or inappropriate' t shirts, the BOE decided to make it easier on the teachers and say NO T SHIRTS AT ALL. You cannot dispute that kids nowadays think it is acceptable to wear things on shirts that clearly are not something you should wear to school. As for the sweats, your comment about the 50's was ignorant and off base. I went to school in the early 90's. We were allowed to wear sweats ONLY if they had pockets on them. No track suits were allowed, hoodies were also not allowed. This is not a recent development in schools and to act like it is, is only making your point less valid.

60AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

It is not off base nor was it ignorant, it was fact. I went to these schools in the 80s-90s and we were allowed. Track suits were allowed and were worn by the track team and soccer teams. You can not compare your mother's dress code to the dress code of today, that's like comparing apples to oranges.

You have no idea what we parents do or have done, so don't assume. If we wish to discuss our issues on the article printed, not only is that something that the vindy has set up for people to do, it is our 1st Amendment right to do so. Just like it is your first Amendment right to comment. You want to talk about making a point less valid, those that comment on the situation without having children in the district make their points less valid. Those that have decided that this district is not good enough to enroll their kids in it even though they live here make their points less valid. I live this situation every single school day - do you? Those decisions made by the school board affect my children, do they affect yours?

While this may not seem to be a big deal to those who have not had to deal with the issues in this district, to many of us this is just another affront by the BOE to the residents who have expressed their opposition to this and many other changes in the district.

61AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh, and I just want to clarify something. We are saying t-shirts, but that is just a general for any knit shirt. The only no collared, no button down shirt that can be worn is as a undershirt for a sweater/cardigan. All shirts must have a collar and must be button front style.

62atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Morbidcherub....we can go to the BOE all we want, about anything, and they don't care.

63jayteetie(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I think the whole idea is ridiculous. High School and Middle School is the only time in your life you can be yourself before you must conform to what society thinks is acceptable. I feel that you are punishing all of the children because other parents around the world lose control or do not care about their teens. What you should do is send every parent in the district to a mandatory parenting class while they are in grade school. These teens go crazy and kill people, so all teens should be restricted from wearing camo, black or die their hair. I grew up in the 80's and we had different color hair all the time and most of us turned out just fine. I also do not remember anyone wearing our "punk" clothing killing or hurting other children due to their clothing choices. This is absolutely absurd.

64scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

These posts are hillarious!!!
I'm so glad my kids don't/didn't attend Austintown schools!
LOL Parents b!tchin and whinin about hoodies and tee shirts. My kids were never allowed to wear the types of things you are all complaining about in this new dress code (except for t-shirts) at our school. Hoodies can be worn TO school and then hung in their locker - as they should be.
And for those of you saying cheerleaders shouldn't be allowed to wear their uniforms on gameday....those are school uniforms my friends. If you want to complain....complain that your kids didn't make the cheerleading squad.
Falcon wear is, and would be much cheeper than any A&F, Hollister, AE tee shirt you'll buy (trust me my kids have them too)

Moral of the story.... Quit your complaining ---- show some school spirit! Buy some Falconwear instead of that new wardrobe you usually buy your kids each fall anyway.
You don't think Canfield has a dress code?

65JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

"....we can go to the BOE all we want, about anything, and they don't care."

Those that have opinions should try for a board seat.

66scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

"Zimmerman said another widely expressed concern has been that many children in the district participate in 4-H or work at the Canfield Fair the weekend before Labor Day. "

This comment raises my eyebrow. Just how many are "many"?
Austintown has over 1600 high school students. Common sense tells me that of the jobs available at the fair maybe 25-50? students work the fair each year from Atown?
If accurate that works out to .03% of students being considered "many".
The board must have consulted "many" students on the new dress code too.

67Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

It is clear that Atownparent just wants to simmer in her misery, so why doesnt everyone just let her do so? She would rather whine on this forum than take an active stance and try to do something about the situation.

I dont feel one iota of pity for people like that. EIther put up or shut up. Like another poster said, if you do not like how things are being done, run for a BOE seat yourself.

68metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

And becomse one of them!?! Jsut like runing for presient you say al lthese tihngs on how you wil change thing then you do the same tihng as everyone beofe you,you lie tkae more rights away,get voted out and have a scndel around you. that is how the cycle works. No ruinng for a seat on the BOE does not solve a tihng you jsut becume like them over time. money turns you to be greedy. that is what drives them,not what anyone tihnks is right or worng or if it is legal,it the $ sign.

69dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

AtownParent: Your comment was ignorant! So what if my mom is in her 50's, you say the times have changed, and now they are again! As you can see for yourself, times do and change, and now the school is heading back to the way things used to be, even before you were in school! As for me not sending my children to Austintown schools. I never planned on sending any of my children there even when we choose to move into Austintown.. But my reasons have nothing to do with dress code, when they start, busing or anything petty. I have REAL reasons why I choose to drive them to school every day!

70metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

So let's go abck to the conservative times you say were women had no rights and the voting age was way higher. if you act like the apst was better then tkae a time machine back then and live us alone!! This policy is bs and the people not against it really aren't for it either,they jsutt act like it's no big deal since they don't go to school or live in austintown.

71dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I am not saying they were better. All I'm saying is that the times are always changing and they do have reasons for doing what they are doing. As for me, I do live in Austintown, we pay property taxes that help pay for the schools! As for the school board, maybe some of you need to run next time there are elections, then you can be the ones to vote down the changes and make things right in your own views!

72Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

MorbidCherub

I regularly attend the BOE meetings and I can say from firsthand knowledge that parents opposition to any and all issues are ignored. Before you start in on me and whining.... I don't have a problem with the dress code. I do have a problem with your assumptions about the posters on this thread. Unless you have attended the BOE meetings and know the posters I think it is a stretch for you to say they haven't taken their issues to the BOE. The dress code change was a foregone conclusion once OE was put on the table. I understand both sides of this argument and if the dress code had become out and out uniforms..... well, dmets, I think we know how I feel about uniforms.... The only solution at this point is to vote in new board members..... until that time it is what it is.

73dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I would understand completely if parent were outraged going form wearing what the students want to uniforms. That would be a huge change and probably very difficult to adjust to. But I think the dress code is very lax, and not a bad decission. I do understand people do not like change, but sometimes it is needed.

74AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh, you people *rolls eyes*. It was not ignorant, it was fact. Back in those days, it was not proper for women to wear pants even in casual settings. This is not about changing times, it is about what is out there in the stores and what is not and why this dress code thing is really happening. It is about the BOE making it seem like they had this diverse committee to discuss this when that was not the case. It is about the BOE and Admin focusing on stupid things like a dress code when they didn't enforce the last one. It is about the BOE and Admin completely ignoring the community. And, hoodies is not a new rule, it has been the rule for the past couple of years in the high school. Mimi is right, this is in direct correlation to the Open Enrollment.

To morbid, as the saying goes, misery loves company and thanks for joining me on this thread.

dmets, I think we all who have been discussing the issues in Atown know why you do not send your kids to these schools. It is just that this affects our kids.

75SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I walk the halls of both AMS and Fitch, I am all for the new dress codes. I am tired of looking at girls' bellies and arses. WTH is with the rolled down sweat pants? Another biggy is the pants that hang down to the knees. Those boys could be carrying unmentionables in that crotch area. My daughter has gauged ears and many piercings as well. Heck my son has pierced ears and long hair. Both of them are good students and have no problem with the new dress code. It only 6-7 hours the kids have to dress "appropriately", its not like they have to stay in those clothes for the entire day. I know I'm happy, no more Hot Topic shirts! No More Abercrombie/Fitch shirts, No More Aeropostale. I see this as a big bonus for me. GO FALCONS!

76dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

AtownParent if you know why I do not send my children to Austintown, please tell me what you think the reasons are? I have not listed them so please enlight me on your ideas why, so I can tell you my real raesons!

Also I know know teachers in the middle and high schools. They tell me how some students dress are outragous and disrespectful. They themsselve think the dress code is a good idea and are ready to enforce!

77atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Just a thought...when i was in school, we would get sent home/detention for inappropriate dress. Why hasn't this happened as of late. Obviously, noone gave a crap.

78AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

dmets, you made a comment on a previous story about the educational level and something about a smaller school (that one I don't remember as clearly as the education one).

atownmama, that is what we are saying. Why now would you be willing to enforce it when you never did before?

79AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oops correction, it was you didn't want your child in an overcrowded classroom.

80dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I do want my children to go to a smaller school system, yes. But more importantly, the school my children attentd scored higher on the state report card too! The school my children go to provide a better education! Those my reasons, which I think are valid ones!

81scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I've never been in an Austintown school but if everyone here is so vehemently opposed to the new dress code I can only imagine the current code.
My children's school has a similar code to the one you are all complaining about.
No bare midrifts
No visible undergarments
Shorts at fingertip to knee length
No capris
No visible piercing except 1 per ear
No gauged ears
No low cut tops
No sleeveless shirts
and the list goes on.......................
This is a local PUBLIC school and this policy has been in place for a few years.
Get over it people! Have your kids pull up their pants, cover their stomachs, take out their piercings and do what they go to school for in the first place......LEARN!

82metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

ll schoos have a dress code tht bans tohse things. that is not wear I have the issue. how man yschoos have banned T-Shirts other then then ones that have uniforms? Not mnay I bet Yes you have t have guidlines jsut not how they are doing it. there does that clarify anything?

83atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Atownparent,....im not really sure how to take your comment...

84atownfan8(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

ok, i understand the need for a dress code. there however are some really dumb ideas in the dress code that was passed to take effect next year.
first off i see no need for there to be a ban on tT-shirts. yes some can offend people and have swear words and distracting images, SO BAN THEM. the ONLY reason i see for banning ALL t's (except FITCH t's) is just that. another sly way for the board to squeeze more money out of parents and students. by taking away all the T shirts except fitch ones you are almost forcing kids to buy them if they want to be comfortable in the class room.

There is another thing, the class room. being comfortable in the class room is KEY to academic success. taking away clothing that kids are comfortable in is just retarded for a school system trying to increase scholastic preformance.

quick note- girls have boobs, its a fact sorry for shocking some of you blind people. most girls wear a cami to prevent their chests from falling out of their shirts. so by this dress code a girl can wear a V-neck, but no Cami to cover anything that may be distracting, thats just stupid.

Hoodies are sort of a touchy subject. yes they can be worn to hide phones and i-pods, but its the students fault for using such items in the class. teachers should teach and parents should instil morals. if the student is using electronic devices in school, they should be taken away on sight of the offence, not change the dress code so all students are punished because someones parents failed to teach their child to PAY ATTENTION.

when it comes to preparing for the real world some people need to wake up. and i'm not talking the students. you have all seen the kent state commercial witht he student in a T-shirt and multiple facial piercings. are you telling me that the school is failing in preparing its student for the future because he is being himself?

i am a college student and i know full well about preparing for my future, dress codes do not have as much of a positive effect as people think. THAT is a fact. it just promotes more acting out OUTSIDE of school. the more you try to repress students individualities, the more you dare them to come up with something new. something new is not always something good.

85dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I think the problem is for so many year there was no dress code. That is why you see college age students in t-shirts and tons of piercings. Over the past, form what I read on this thread, 20 year or so the school system has been too lax!

86metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

And you expect in oen day to jsut toughten your rules and everyone to follow them when yuou know some teachers probalby don't agree with all of them? Anytime you do a big change all of a sudden you wiill piss people off. may I suggest they phase it in a little bit? And get rid of the ban on T-Shirts! That will never fly!

87dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

metz: This is the real world and can and does happen in life. The t-shirt banned has to fly, or kids will be set home, or punished in some way. You need to lead by example and with your kind of attitude and many parents on here, yes there will be problem cause your attitude will rub off on your kids. You are mad over t-shirts, t-shirt! Take a step back and really look at how dumb, petty, and silly that REALLY is!
I looked at my children's dress code, and it is basically the same as the new one for Austintown. So believe me once my kids get into 5th grade and their clothing will change to fit the dress code because it is the RULES!

88AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh no, atownmama, I didn't mean you when I said "you", I was directing it at the schools, meaning why now would they enforce it when they did not before. Sorry for the confusion.

If everyone followed the rules dmets, we as women would not be allowed to vote.

89metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Who you trying to convice demets me or yourself? If we jsut follow the elader as you say the world would be a dictatorship. No,we must demeand change. No one in thier right mind belives this is right. where do you get that all schools ban T-Shirts?

90dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

You guys so make me laugh! You are going to the extreme! Also remember woman vote due to CHANGE voted on by a group of ELECTED people! As for you now can see CHANGE is a GOOD thing! Yes we must demand change?, and as you can see, the way things are now are not working, so they CHANGED them! Out with the old and in with the new!

91AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

It is not that the dress code was not working, it was that the administrators were not punishing those that did not abide by it. There is a big difference.

92atownfan8(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

yes change is a good thing at times. however, if you change something thats not working for something that causes strain and stress it will not work either. if you change something because your administration failed to inforce it, then changing the RULES is not the change that is needed.

93dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Banning all t-shirt will make it easier for the teacher sto enforce. Now they do not have decide is that t shirt ok or is that one. One kid can be sent home for a shirt by one teacher, and another student maybe walking around with the same shirt on without be sent home. No one can say the teachers are favoring some students and punishing others if ALL t-shirts are banned. I think children should dress appropriate to school. Take some PRIDE in yourself and school!

94atownfan8(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

that would be annoying to enforce. but we are talking about the most common shirt in the world here. cheap, and easy to get. all the other dress apperail on the approved list will have to be bought. i dont see what is wrong with them if all the teachers are on the same page. lets get some unity in the system instead of making more pressure on the students to think if their apperial is approved or not.

95metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Is the easy way alwyas the ebst way to do tihngs. No one o nehre ahs come up wit a good reaso nas to why they baned T-Shirts. the best I have heard is it makes it esy to enforce which really is a lame answer. whatever htier dumb reason was it is another sign that the baord jsut wants to make thinga ahrd on us and screw us over. Heck yesterday on the bus at AMS I saw al lthe bus drivers singing a petion to get the board to change a policy inlvoving a safety risk. Now I don't know whta that is but they even whent so far to say that they are considring parking thier busess and refusing to drive! So demets does that sound like the good old school borad is doing everything right to you? It sure seem that when school emplyess turn on you sometihng is really,really wrong. It will only get worse if people like you seem no problem with what they are doing!!

96dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey metz I said if you do not think that the board is doing anything right and it seems you think they don"t have a clue, then you need to run for the board! I do not see how banning t-sirt, sweatpants and shirts are a safety risk. Many school children ride buses who have way stricter dress codes. I think it is all bull! I would love to see proof to back up those accusations! I wore a uniform, road the bus and there was no safety risk due to clothing. There are many other things in riding a bus that are not safe and clothing is not one of them! Don't get me wrong every board make mistakes, but this a dress code to make the school better and the students look presentable!

97AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

It has nothing to do with that. It is so the dress code will do the job that the administrators don't. Teachers aren't the ones who send the kids home, it is the principals of the schools. Considering we have one for each and every grade, I don't think it is that hard to make the decision. Teacher sends the kid to the office, principal decides on the punishment, that is their JOB. It is what we pay them for. Nowadays these administrators want to be everyone's "friend" and not punish those kids that break the "small" rules like the dress code. They will deal with the big offenses like violence and weapons, but the little stuff is swept under the rug. Dmets, our kids do look presentable and no one likes the implications you are making. You have said it more than once that it is to make kids look presentable - they already do. This dress code is for the exceptions, not the norms, but you wouldn't know that because you don't send your kids to these schools.

98dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Your kids might but believe me I see kids stand to get the bus in the morning and there is no way I would let my children out of the house in what they have on! Also my children DO have a dress code, much stricter once in 5th grade and higher! It is basically the same as what your kids will have next year. So please do not tell me I don't know!
Here is my question, would you be happy if they were allowed to wear solid color t-shirts? Probably not! You see if they give them an inch they will take a yard. They are nipping all that in the bud with just saying no to all of them. You see I get do get it. I see it from on outside point of view. Take a step out and look from the outside. You are just very heated over it right now. Maybe your adminstrators want to be the students "friends", but not ALL schools are like that! Maybe you guys need to get your adminstration out?!?! or send your kids to a different school system!

99AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm not heated, I'm thrifty and spending the money on button downs is just ridiculous in this economy. Remember, our superintendent said most of the people in our district were poor (his words not mine) so you really think they can afford a whole new wardrobe? Yes, I would be happy with solid color t-shirts, t-shirts without writing on them. Don't assume you know what I would be happy with. Heck, you can't even wear a shirt with a pocket on it! Frankly, you are getting a little more heated "defending" the dress code then we are against the dress code.

100dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I think solid t-shirt would not be a problem at all. Or even t-shirt with the school name or logo. I am not heated, i just find some people's comments on here ridiculous. I am not saying you, AtownParent. I do belive that some on here complain or are stating the reasons, need to possible run for BOE the next election. As for the super, just cause he is from Columbus doesn"t make most in Atown poor. I can say some areas are poor, but most Atown is not. The Super is a jack and needs to be fired and replaced by someone who actually lives around here and is touch with the community! That is just my opinion!

101AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

That is definitely something we agree on, we need a new super!!!

102metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Who doesn't think that? I can't think of one good thing he has done.

103SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

all I have to say is Education begins at home!

104speechless(4 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

My children attend public school and we have a uniform dress code. Our uniforms entail black slacks and your shirts has to be collared and it must be black, white or red. The students are aloud to wear turtle necks. This dress code is enforced and it is abided by all of the kids with very little if no arguments.

Last time I checked children were in school for an education and not a fashion show. I think your school system is be very liberable with the dress code. To me this is not really that strict of a dress code.

105metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

So the schhols have no right to be your parents. if your parents wil lnot do it the schools have no right to be either as the kids will fight it anyways.

106metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

strict no but does it make snese to ban T_shirts did your school do that? The isse with uniforms is this,you all look like cloes. now some may like that but who pays for it the school or us,either way the taxpayers do as the schools get funding by us.

107dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

But when alot of parents, not saying you metz, are not doing their job then the school have every right to step in. Actually the school has the right to change any rule at any time. They DO have that authority! Sorry it is just the way it is and goes.

108metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh they do and that is the problem. when you have the power to contorl every little tihng you do it's like the big borther goverment.

109AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree, when the parents are not doing the job, then the school has every right. The problem is that the schools were letting these kids get away with the infractions to the code for years and years. If they had just done their job in the first place, this would not be an issue. Oh and lets be real, this dress code is in direct correlation to OE. Frankly, it is just shady that you can wear t-shirts, but they must be Falcon wear.

110metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Shady,yes and wrog. guess they wnt t omake sure the money goes direct to the school. WHo else should be puinshed are the teachers who let it go this long. they all know about it and did nothing.

111dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I find it funny that you are comparing what a school does and "big brother" gov't. I can see it, next the children will have full control over how long classes are, how many credits they need to graduate, and oh yeah actually teaching the classes or learning from a computer. I mean come on we are talking about children getting a education not going to a fashion show!

112metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

That is not what I meant. stop being stpuid. no one in their right mind would expect that to ever happen,so stop sayng things I am not saying. the fact that tey can do pretty much anything and give you no reason as to why is wrong. If they wanted they could signal you out becuae you are black and that emans you msut be a gang memeber so all blacks will be striped sreached every day. Jsut an expale of why they have to have limits.

113dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Actually they can not single out a black student like you say. That would be considered discrimination, and a nice law suit would follow. The dress code is preventive, yes preventive, potential problems. Plain and simple. They want to nip and problem in the bud!

114metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Taht does no stop them for doing it though. the same can be said that if you wear a hoddie you are up to no good that is like saying all black people are in a gang.

115dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

metz you need help and you need to look at from a different point of view!

116metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

nah,I really dont think so. It's is you that needs to look at it form a different point of view! You only look at things your way

117dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

No I do not! You see you are seeing it froma heated person's point of view. They are just CLOTHES! I could see if they decided to change something important that changed the value of education, but they are not doing that at all! You need to get over it and realize it is after all just CLOTHING!

118metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Well if you listen to them they would tell you that banning T-Shirts we improve the quailty of education. Like I have said before all schools have a dress code but how man have banned sometihng as stupid as T-Shirts? Other then schools that have uniforms no one!!

119dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I find it funny you are so upset over t-shirts! There are many other things to be upset over in the Austintown school system!

120metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Like what becuase there are alot of tihngs.

121dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Exactly my point! The super, your board members, the budget(or lack of), the way they built the middle school wrong, wasting tax payers money. We can always talk about teachers who are terrible and are only there cause they got tenure. I mean things that do matter, not t-shirts, that metz is being way over played! Every school has a dress code, some are stricter then others.

122metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Heck other then the T Shirts I agree with you on all of that. they all are morons and if they actually knew what a budget was we would not be in this mess.

123dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Exactly so we can leave this topic agreeing on many things!

124metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago