Borts Pool won’t open this year

Published: Tue, June 16, 2009 @ 5:05 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — With the city’s eight-week public pool season opening Wednesday, Borts Pool on the city’s West Side is filled with water.

Its operating system, which has had problems before, is in good shape, said Jason Whitehead, the mayor’s chief of staff/secretary who serves as acting park director.

Yet the pool won’t open this year — a victim of the city’s financial problems, he said.

That leaves the North Side Pool as the only public pool open to swimmers this summer.

The city is facing the possible layoff of about 10 to 25 employees because of financial problems caused by poor economic conditions.

It would cost $67,000 to operate Borts Pool on Belle Vista Avenue for the summer, Whitehead said. Last year, about 4,300 people paid to swim there.

In comparison, the operating costs of the North Side Pool on Belmont Avenue is $82,500, but about 12,500 people paid to swim at that facility. That pool is two years old. The city spent $1.28 million on the pool project.

Closing Borts would save more than $50,000, Whitehead said. Because of an increase of swimmers and lifeguards at North Side because it’s the only public pool in the city, Youngstown can’t save the entire operating budget of Borts, he said.

“I’m getting upset about everything is being taken away on the West Side,” said Councilwoman Carol Rimedio-Righetti, D-4th, who represents a majority of the West Side on council. “We are stabile here. I understand the city’s finances. I’d rather have police officers working than have Borts Pool open. But I’m still concerned.”

For the complete story, read Wednesday’s Vindicator or Vindy.com

Comments

1OldFashionedMama(77 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Ms. Righetti's concerns about funding for the police officers. However, she should also consider how the closing of Borts could inadvertently lead to more crime because it's one less place where young people can go and do something positive. If I had the money I'd pay the $67K bill myself. Things like this make me sad and frustrated, especially as a parent. When I was a kid there were lots of places to swim, like Cedarbrook and Yellow Duck Park...but now those are long gone too. What, exactly, are families supposed to do together nowadays?

2Ytownnative(1055 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

After all the fights there over the past few years. My kids (and their friends) dont want to go anywhere near that pool.

3Rokscout(310 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

What will I do without all of the police and ambulance sirens responding to all of the trouble there? Provided a nice city living environment last summer.

4copswife(25 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

My mother lives three houses up from Borts. We are all sooo glad that pool is not opening this summer. There are always fights there my brother has had at least one bike stolen out of their yard or right from under his finger tipe, literally from the kids that are always covering the side walks coming from and going from borts. It is sad as a child we lived at Borts. That was the place to be all day in the summer. Now i will not walk my kids to Borts when we are at my mothers to even swing because of all of the trouble that comes from that pool. I would hope our officers would come before a place that only brings trouble for the neighborhhod. I have sen first hand the trouble that comes from there with my own eyes from my mom living right there and my husband being a cop. It's a shame I do not feel bad though.

5Rokscout(310 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Some people, no matter how much is given to them, can't and do not want to live right. It is a shame.

6aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately, it's probably a good thing that Borts will not be opening this year. I agree with Mama, who mentioned the potential for more crime amongst the younger crowd. I also feel that it is very selfish of the city of Youngstown to not think about the families who are going to have one less thing to do in an already doomed economy. Perhaps if finances had been better handled by the city, they could have cut costs elsewhere. Instead, they choose to do things in a manner that is only robbing the city and its people of the very little pride and hope that they have left.

7OldFashionedMama(77 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

LostPatrol, you are right. I didn't know that Borts had so many problems. Young people today don't know how to act because their parents never taught them. My sister and I went to the pool in Lisbon unsupervised from the time were were about 8 or 9. There were always lots of young kids there, and NEVER any problems. I haven't been to that pool in years, so I don't know what its like now.

I know it's a fantasy to even think about it, but I wish the GOOD PEOPLE in Youngstown, the GOOD families, would stop allowing the riffraff to take over places like Borts and start going there with their kids instead of getting an expensive membership at the Y and essentially abandoning their own communities. If the good outnumbered the bad, Borts might be a nice place to swim again.

8thelonewolf(6 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

im sorry to say this but for the people that dont want the pool to reopen in the summer of 2012 the pool will reopen the city of youngstown has found someone that will fund the pool after two thousand people complained that they cant aford a pool of there own and they dont want to drive to the northside pool. its been found that the pumps do work and the city will be repairing the pool and pump housing come spring and a total of 15 people will staff it the city made its finale choice on Monday morning to reopen it.