2,800 compete for 350 positions at new Wal-Mart

Published: Sat, June 13, 2009 @ 12:09 a.m.

By Linda Linonis

Job applications for the Liberty store will be taken until July 13 at the Covelli Centre and online.

LIBERTY — Thomas Urena, manager of the new Wal-Mart on Belmont Avenue, said some 2,800 people have applied so far for 325 to 350 full- and part-time jobs at the retailer.

The retailer began taking applications this week.

Applications will be accepted through July 13 at the Covelli Centre, formerly the Chevrolet Centre, on Front Street in Youngstown. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.

“It’s a slow process,” said Urena of the online application, which takes about 45 minutes. He said about five minutes is devoted to talking to each applicant.

Applicants also may access the applications on their home computers, at libraries and at other Wal-Mart stores at www.WalMartstores.com and go to the career section.

Urena declined to offer how much the jobs pay, but said the pay rate varies by position and experience. He said the interviewing process is going “full force” and the company will begin to hire soon.

He said some of the applicants he has spoken to are displaced workers. Others are looking for a second income for their families, and still others are seeking part-time employment to supplement their income. Urena said so far, one applicant, who had 25 years of retail store experience, stands out.

“She was told her position was being eliminated and was let go after all that time,” Urena said.

He said the store will begin receiving merchandise July 13. “We’re looking at the end of August,” Urena said of the opening.

Urena has been with Wal-Mart for 25 years. He most recently was the manager of a Wal-Mart on state Route 62 in Canton.

Pat Ungaro, administrator in Liberty Township, said township trustees and others had a chance to meet with Urena this week. “We’re excited about it,” Ungaro said. “I believe it will help stabilize businesses because of the traffic count.”

He said businesses were lost over the last 10 years. He said he viewed Wal-Mart’s presence as “overwhelming positive” and a place that will keep businesses competitive.

Ungaro also said this Wal-Mart is a “green” store, and its facade is a combination of brown tones.

Urena said the Belmont Wal-Mart is one of four test or prototype stores that are 30 percent more energy efficient than previously built stores. Citing one example, he said the store will use low-voltage, incandescent lighting, skylights and an automatic lighting system. Overall, he said, the heating and cooling systems will be more efficient.

linonis@vindy.com

Comments

1Ytownboy(142 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

How sad... thousands of people competing for jobs that don't even pay a living wage.

2casper77(136 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

welcome to the future. This is how our leaders want it to be . No more middle class. People working for $7 an hour, no benefits ,no health care.They like us fighting amongst ourself, complainting about what the other person has, and trying to take it away from the other people.They figure as long as we have food on the table , we will keep quite.

3aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad to see the enthusiasm for people to get jobs -- but it's a damn shame it has to come down to fighting for jobs at Wal-Mart.

To Casper - I agree. Our government is essentially running us into the ground. Meanwhile, the big shots in Congress get to continue enjoying their everyday lives that consist of a living that probably no one in this area is accustomed to. And don't even get me started on Barack Obama, who spends 80K+ of tax payer dollars for ONE night on the town in NYC and spends how many more thousands to entertain his wife and daughters in a foreign country. And when all the fun and games are over with, he returns back to D.C. to do this:

4Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I worked for WalMart for 6 months last year until I found a teaching position. First, most wages are above $7.00 an hour but still not livable wages. The majority of the people hired are NOT full-time employees, and are hired to work 33 hours or less per week. There are benefits available to even part-time employess after a certain time period, although I have been told they aren't very good. Employess receive quarterly profit sharing checks after 6 months of employment. The amount per employee varies according to their "hourly status" and some checks prove to be rather hefty depending on the store's quarterly profit. Like many retail stores, it seems as if the management team is top-heavy, while they cut back on associates after the initial grand opening is over. I can honestly say I enjoyed helping most customers (we all know that some customers are beyond nauseating and rude - for instance, letting their children chow down on an entire bag of green grapes before taking them to the check-out and the price is PER POUND?) and made many friends of co-workers within the store itself. There ARE possibilities of advancement at WalMart and you don't need a college degree to advance. I would have to say that being on time for work, doing your job effectively, working as part of a team, and getting along with fellow employees does get noticed. IN our economy employment anywhere depends on so many factors - my own employment for the next school year is depending on federal grant money and how it will be dispersed. Who knows? I may be a WalMart employee again if things fall through. Think of it this way, at least it can help extend your unemployment until you find something within your field.

5Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

To aeparish concerning comments about President Obama:
Have you noticed that Obama has been picked apart MORE by the media than any other president of record? Why do you think that is? Where did you read that he spent over $80,000 in NYC for one night's entertainment? I suggest you stop believing what they write in the "Star" "National Enquirer" and "The Globe." From what I have seen, Obama is more pro-active than any old, rich, white man president we have had in my lifetime. As for his feet resting on his desk... It's HIS desk to rest his feet on! My good God, I'm sure there has been A LOT more go on under and on and beside the desks of US presidents in the past, JFK included (people seem to think he was a god). I'm really getting tired of a person's skin color determining their effectiveness in the eyes of racists. NONE of us had anything to do with the color of skin we were born with, our eye color, the time or place we were born, mental or physical impairments, the socio-economic status we were born into... I think you know where I'm going with this. Oh, and for the record, I am of Irish and German descent.

6DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

aeparish - I think it was more like 250k that King Obama spent on the trip to NYC. You cannot scrutinize the King though...because it's good to be the King. There is no double standard with the King...because it's good to be the King.

I think the teacher's account of their own Wal Mart experience was a valid depiction of what goes on there. I just hope the teacher doesn't teach our youth spelling and grammar, but I digest, and I joke.

I think that Wal Mart should be commended (as it is often vilified for several things) on the profit sharing. That is a solid business tool that lends to productivity and profit.

7cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

aeparish....Bush spent 487 days at Camp David and 490 days at his ranch,

I can't think of a harder working elected official than Obama,

8Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

DoctorGonzo, while you are digesting, please correct and return my comment. I wrote as if I was speaking what was on my mind. I am always open to learning. Are you? ;D

9DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Now as soon as I get done commending I have to question.
Let's get to some common platform of logic. Obviously, Obama didn't spend 250k on the trip, I was exaggerating. He (we) probably spent more like 25k on the whole thing. But we need to tighten our belts. He also spent a lot of his (our) money on steaks at the superbowl party he threw, like $150 per steak. This is around the time he scolded CEO's for adhering to contracts and labor agreements, we know about labor agreements right?
He then took over the auto industry and fired the CEO of GM. He appointed a czar, and now we have more czars in D.C than dubya appointed and Russia combined. Nothing like the government controlling the output...whoops. Sorry King.
He also made an ignorant comment about the special olympics on the Tonight Show, and WTF is he doing on the Tonight Show at all during the country's "deepest economic emergency since the recession"? Joke or no joke it was a stupid comment from a guy who sounds a lot like dubya to me when the help is turned off. 57 states?
He also appointed several cabinet members who surprisingly had prior tax issues and, oh geese, forgot to pay for some prior years. The secretary of the treasury for god's sake.
Then his stimulus package consists mainly of printing all that money he used to stimulate. ECON 101 can give you a pretty good picture of what inflation is and we will be right in the middle of it in a decade or so.
Now I don't list these events with the belief that he is the only one or dubya, slick willy, and others weren't doing the same thing, but to say the guy is picked apart more than anyone else is ridiculous.
Think for a moment what the media would have said about dubya and Laura flying to manhattan for a show, or ordering $150 steaks or making an off color comment about the special olympics. Whoopi Goldberg and Babs Streisand would have taken over for the nightly news.
The facts are these, King Obama is pretty much untouchable because of the letter after his name, his liberal views, his half-black rear end, and the country's love of celebrities. And being pro-active is only a positive half of the time, hitler was really proactive as well during his political time, remember? (Disclaimer: No comparison was intended between King Obama and hitler by that last interrogative sentence).
If someone cannot or will not acknowledge that, they are either ignorant, blind or both.
Its good to be the King.

Nib High Rules.

10DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I like your original comment teacher, I was joking about the spelling because your handle looks like it was spelled by a vindy writer.
I appreciate your comments about wal mart as well, seriously, I was just messing around and then I digested from my main point.
I do not agree with your second comments that King Obama is picked apart more than any other, as documented in my earlier post.
As we can see whenever King Obama is scrutinized (which he should be as POTUS) peopel immediately revert back to dubya. Guess what, dubya did f*** up a lot and so did the guys before him. That isn't news, or a really valid counter argument to King Obama scrutiny.
Something more material would have been better, like, Obama's stimulus package will pay for itself with increased tax revenues in the future as jobs are more secure and the economy begins to rebuild, but I digest.

11Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Dubya was consistently mispronouncing words and making ridiculous comments. I feel sorry for Laura having to put up with him.
Anyway, I have a helpful hint for those of you who feel that they MUST visit the WalMart Deli immediately after your priest, minister, or pastor rings that little bell after mass or church services (I referred to these people as Pavlov's Dogs). Don't visit the deli at this time on Sunday. You WILL wait a LONG time as the WalMart deli is normally set up with only four slicers, one of them designated for cheese only. Combine that with customers requesting two or three pounds of their deli meats "shaved," and you may as well go to the general merchandise side and grab a lounge chair. If I were Queen Sam, (this is in no way a reflection on the late Sam Walton's sexuality... I am a woman) I would have designed the deli area to include more slicing equipment so the wait time would be decreased, even for Pavlov's Dogs.
DoctorGonzo, you still have not returned my corrected comments. I am a Reading and Math specialist. I diagnose and remediate students who Reading and Math diagnostic test scores place them at least two years behind their current grade level. As for any faux pas concerning my spelling or grammar, I am postive the spelling errors were typos. As for the grammar errors, well, I guess I became too reliant upon my APA Perlla program. What they say is true: If you don't use it, you lose it.
In addition, DoctorGonzo, "we know about labor agreements right? " Well, yes I do. The amount of money uneducated, unskilled laborers who work at GM receive for their shawdy work efforts is appalling. Why is it that teachers make so little while they make SO much? After all, without your old teachers, you wouldn't be able to read what I have written nor respond to it, would you?

12cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Gonzo....Unemployment in the area of the country I live in is dropping. Housing values are going up and the stock market is up about 40% since March. Ten's of millions of the tarp money have already been paid back by some banks and are free of any government direction. Money Bush was willing to just give away.

I agree dubya did f*** up a lot. How many similar comments did you post then? Your worried about $150.00 dollar steaks? What about 350 million a day for more than six years in Iraq?

You can't put a price on the good will and respect America gains when Obama spends a couple of days in countries like Egypt and France. Money well spent.

13aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Skool, I love the word you used to describe Bush's antics. Although I didn't particularly care for him either, at least he was consistent in what he did. Obama's solution to everything is spend, spend, spend. God forbid if Bush would have ever spent all of that money on elaborate vacations -- he probably would have been burned at the stake.

I just can't wait until people wake up and see the "King" for who he really is. And skool -- I never remotely brought up anything about his skin color nor did I plan to. My comment had nothing to do with race.

14DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Teacher - I was referring to your handle alone, jokingly, as a misspelling, nothing in the body of your message. I think it's great that you help the youth in the way you do, honestly. I think it is great that wal mart has a deli as well, the fifth slicer be dammed, but I digest.
Keep helping the children with their letters and numbers, they will need that knowledge when learning chinese.
Should teachers be paid more in general? It is debatable. You still get about 4 months off per year right, with summer and holidays. Should teachers get paid more than a line worker at GM? If the corporation (GM in this case) cannot support the wage levels it pays it's employees than they are overpaid. That is a strictly quanitative analysis. Subjectively, yes you should probably make more than a line worker as your overall education and effect on society is profoundly higher.

15cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I would like to correct my last post. I stated that 10's of millions in tarp money has been repaid by the banks. I meant 10's of billions. My bad. So far about 70 billion has been paid back.

16DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

They made me split up my past post b/c it was too long so...
Harvard (cambridge)- I am not sure where you live so I cannot really comment on what you state, but in terms of the stock market (I am assuming you are only talking about the DOW Industrials) if it was at 12000 and dropped to 7000 that is a decrease of 40% roughly. If it were up 40% as you say it would be somewhere around 9800-10,000 roughly, so it's not up that much, but I agree it has gone up since January but where else could it have gone?
Your arguments about Iraq would require me to write a diatribe that would have me kicked off the vindy site for length, but I was not trying to bring up dubya vs. King Obama in that way.
I was only pointing out that King Obama gets away with a large amount of things that the last POTUS could not have in the eys of the media. You are obviously a dem and so I think you are biased somewhat, I am a staunch independent (seriously, believe me) and I look at things from very far away. King Obama needs more scrutiny, dubya was probably scrutinized too much, now let me explain.
Do you really think he master minded 911? If he was the cause of the high gas prices in 2007-2008 why is the price of fuel soaring again? If Clinton had the same intelligence about WMD's was he lying too when he called for military action against Iraq?
Just a few.

In any event, heer are some things I like about King Obama - he used Abe Lincoln's Koran at the inauguration, wait...
Seriously, I think he has tried to work from the middle as much as a liberal like him can expected to. I think letting GM go into bankruptcy was the right move because he knew they could never pay back anymore loans with their current structure. I think he is surrounded by absolute freaks that are limiting his abilities (Pelosi for one), I think he has a good understanding of the law and what he believes the constitution stands for in his own opinion, I think he is smart enough to kiss ass around the world while keeping all those anti-terrorism tactics set up previously in tact here ie. wiretaps and various other "infringements" on peoples privacy. He is smart enough to realize that they work and I think Hillary is smart enough to know that too.
Now I am really digesting.
Nib High Rules.

17DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

My remarks in regards to King Obama had something to do with race. Obviously people in the media and other industries walk on egg shells with the guy because he is half black and we know what happens if the black "leaders" get pissed off about a remark or do not like hearing the truth. No justice no peace.
Race has definite undertones in this administration, but not by anything King Obama has done or said, I have never really heard him play any type of race card while in office and I respect him for it.

18cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Gonzo.....You need to reread my post. I said the market was up about 40% since March. Apology accepted. LOL. That is how much the DOW is up but it is also about how much the S&P 500 is up which is a much better indicator on which way the economy is headed.

You need to change your username to DoctorJekyll. I'll read one of your post and am blown away by how right on the mark you are and how well it is expressed. Then sometimes you turn into that other guy. Always food for thought though.

19DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

In some people's eye the market is represented by the DOW Industrials alone, I didn't know if you included other indices or not. In reality the market is really defined as all the stocks on the big board and the nasdaq and I guess you could include options from CBOT as well.
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but neither the DOW Indutrials or the S&P are up anywhere near 40% since March. But like I said, I agree all the markets have improved somewhat and that is based largely on the fact that they couldn't get any lower.

I am always right on the mark expressing myself in way superior to just about any other human being on the planet. It is you who are reading some posts incorrectly. Now that is some food for thought. A big pile of it.

20Rokscout(310 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm just glad something is opening around here instead of closing. Even though it is another Wal Mart (not that it's a bad thing). I hope the country can survive where we seem to be heading.

21redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

cambridge said:Unemployment in the area of the country I live in is dropping. Housing values are going up

Cambridge, according to the LA Times, California's unemployment rate is 6.8%, 1.5% higher than last year and the 5th highest in the nation. According to the San Francisco Business times, the San Francisco area's unemployment rate rose to 9.0% in March, the highest since 1984. Now I don't have more current data but I will soon. The real estate market in the SF area is a buyers market so even if the asking prices are going up which some confuse with as being the home value the homes are not selling if you look at the time on market. I think your statements are misleading. If I am wrong, show the sites that verify your statements.

Attached are the URL's that explain my statements.

22cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

redvert....California is a big state with many real estate markets. The home values in San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties are going up. There are a couple of houses for sale on my street right now. Two bedroom one and a half bath with the average of the two at $650,000. Down about $100,000 since the peak in 2005 but creeping back up. Location, location, location. I'm pretty sure I know a little more about the real estate market where I live than you do from the other side of the country, but knock yourself out. The most recent numbers show unemployment dropping in Alameda county. All from recent articles in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Gonzo....6/13/09 San Francisco Chronicle. An article Tim Paradis of the Associated Press. The article is about the fact that the market was flat this past week, It goes on to say the S&P index is up 39.9% in a three month rally.The Dow had it's highest close since Jan.6 and is in the black for the year. It has closed up for 12 of the last 14 weeks If you don't believe me just check your portfolio. It didn't give a percentage gain for the Dow but I read an article a week or two ago and the Dow and the S&P percentage gains were pretty much the same.

And thanks for straightening me out on Gonzo reading comprehension 101. That was a good one.

23DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Harvard (cambridge) - I am just using numbers from a 3 month graph charting the S&P.

March 12 closes 750, June 12 closes 946
That is 26% over three months, but I am splitting hairs. 39% or 26%. Both are positives.

Dow March 12- closes 7170 June 12 - closes 8800
That's 22%.

The economy is cyclical and has been since we went off the gold standard. When markets drop 50% there is no where to go but up. King Obama did not cause the the current recession alone, the previous admin., and the great congress had big hands in this mess.
I do not agree with King Obama's method for getting out of it. The long term effects are too risky, but so was deregulating the housing and mortgage industry under dubya and congress people like Bawney Frank.
He used to run a brothel out of his house you know, but I digest.

24redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

cambridge said:The most recent numbers show unemployment dropping in Alameda county. All from recent articles in the San Francisco Chronicle.... I guess a drop from 10.6 to 10.3%, Mar. to Apr. which is the most current complete data is a big deal to him but not to me.

A year ago the average days a SF house was on the market was ~70 days. Now it is 104 days and rising. Once again, it is a buyers market and no matter what a house is supposed to be worth, in reality it is only worth what someone will pay for it and it does not look like buyers are too quick to buy.

Goodnight

25cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

redvert....You posted three links. Look at the third link, altosresearch, look at the direction of the lines in the graphs in the last two vertical columns of each graft.It seems to me they are going up. Look at the numbers on the right side of the page. Does that look like a bad real estate market to be in to you? I've probably made more money just in real estate than you've made in your life

I have to say, you are hilarious. Your like a f***in stocker. You need to get a life of your own and not concern yourself with mine. The San Francisco Bay Area housing market has always been one of the highest in the country and always will be. But who cares? Why are you so focused on something that has nothing to do with a $7.00 an hour job at Wal-Mart?

26Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Awww Gonzo, why do people persist in perpetuating that myth about teachers having 3 months off in the summer? Does anybody realize that it's just NOT like that anymore? Most of us take professional development courses during the summer which we pay for ourselves and this year I have only about 6 weeks off, not even enough time to have my hand surgery AND recuperate from it fully. Do people actually think that our winter and spring breaks are spent lounging around? Oh hell, maybe this is when we find time to reconnect with the children we've had to ignore every evening because we've been grading papers, writing lesson plans, subscribing to educational websites that will help give our lessons that little extra "oomph" we feel we need to get the information across to students who learn not only visually and auditorily, but also kinesthetically, musically, etc. Maybe we have to do all these things at home because our planning periods are filled with IEP meetings and filling out papers for students whose parents think they need to be on an Rx for AD/HD, or maybe filling out observation forms for the occupational or speech therapists regarding various students in our classrooms. You know, Dubya's No Child Left Behind? Nobody's children except our own. Can you imagine how many school events I have missed for my own child because I have to sit at school waiting for parents to NOT show up for parent-teacher conferences? Don't EVER give ANY teacher ANY crap about ALL the days off we have.. Walk a year in OUR shoes ( and don't forget to get your Master's degree while you're at it... they're needed now to continue teaching, oh, and at our own cost, at least $10,000-$15,000).

27DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I was just asking, not stating. Thank you for clarifying, honestly.
For the record Teddy Kennedy wrote the No Child Left Behind law, then he and dubya took a shot and a bumped a rail and walla.

28epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Well said Skool

29UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Get them hired then we can get them organized into a union to improve the wages and benefits. Mahoning Valley is stron g union and we will show those Wal Mart B's what for. The sad part is these are the only truely new jobs in the Mahoning Valley and they will end up costing others in those mom and pop businesses around Wal Mart their jobs. Just look at any place where Wal Mart moved in and how many small businesses in the area had to close up shop.

30nanaj1(15 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Back to Walmart...they do have health benefits and a 401 k that they pay into for you...My husband has worked there 15 years...and will probably retire from there. he is just a cashier; not management.......Pay is not the greatest but it's a job.

31Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

nanaj1... I commend your husband for being a cashier and putting up with the public for SO long! I think everyone should be required to work retail for at least one year. I'm sure prices would decrease and the wait time in lines wouldn't be so long. Thanks for the reminder about the 401K. Before people speak out about how bad WalMart is they should find out what is offered in addition to wages. Actually, within the 6 months I worked there I received a 30 cent an hour raise, more than most businesses in this area would give w/in that timeframe.

32redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

No cambridge, I am not a stalker. I just need to speak my mind when I see someone trying to use very general data to support their point of view. Case in point, you asked me to look at the housing data. The black line which supports your point is the 7 day moving average which may have a lot of noise in it. The orange line is 90 day which is a better indicator. Case in point # 2, unemployment numbers that drop from 10.6% to 10.3% may just be due to the people that have used up their benefits and are no longer applying on a weekly basis. States have been known to conveniently forget to include these people in the numbers,

As far as getting a life, I got a good one, retired semiconductor engineer. 6 months in Ohio and 6 months in Florida. Enjoy Ohio summers a hell of a lot more than Florida summers so here I am from May through October.

Last but not least, you asked what this had to do with a $7.00 an hour job at Walmart. I must admit I did get off the track. Hmmm! Your last post was the first time you mentioned Walmart also.

WE BAD!!!!!!

33TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Well, enough about Bush and Obama, lets talk about the 2800 who applied for the 350 jobs. Do the math; out of 2800 applicants, 1700 won't pass a drug test, that leaves 900 applicants for 350 jobs. Of the 900 remaining, piercings and neck tattoo's will eliminate another 200, now its 700 for 350 jobs. Of the 700, 350 won't be smart enough to run a scanner/check-out or would not be able to text message and stock shelves at the same time; so that leaves 350 jobs for 350 remaining applicants; pretty good odds for a normal person with skills to perform daily every day tasks and assume some responsibility.

34cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Lost.....I think they should have you run the place.

35scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Some of you are acting like this is the first walMart to come to the valley. Bazetta (Warren), Austintown, Boardman, and Hermitage have all long since been established. The comment about unionizing the Liberty store is laughable. The employees don't want a union! I believe even the OTR drivers are non-union (could be wrong about that but I remember hearing something along those lines)
Lost's numbers are pretty much right on. To have an applicant with 25 yrs retail experience "stand out" tends to lend credence to the breakdown of the numbers.
That being said, Ungaro needs to get out more.
"Ungaro also said this Wal-Mart is a “green” store, and its facade is a combination of brown tones" This has been WalMart's color scheme for quite some time now - though I doubt he's ever stooped low enough (in his mind) to shop at one.

36redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Whether you are a fan of Walmart or not they deserve credit for the fact that they do hire a lot of people with handicaps that otherwise would not be able to find a job.

Also agree that lost is right on with the numbers and the disqualifying factors and would probably be a excellent manager as suggested.

37Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't believe WalMart discriminates against people for piercings and/or neck tattoos. If the piercings are on their face, I think the worker is required to remove the earring or stud while they are at work. Neck tattoos you really can't do much about except wear a collared shirt. I know that sometimes piercings and tattoos might get a little outlandish but if people were judged negatively because they have them that would be wrong. Excellent workers might be passed up as a result. I guess I'm lucky I wore clothes during my WalMart interviews... they may have seen my tats and not hired ME! ;)

38Skoolteecher(9 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh, and The Lost Patrol wouldn't be able to run WalMart w/o a calculator or me to reteach him/her simple subtraction.

2800 - 1700 = 1100, not 900

Just thought I'd bring that up.

39dbinnc(51 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

"Unionforever" you are what is wrong with Youngstown. I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it.

UNIONS BUILT THIS COUNTRY AND THEY ARE DESTROYING IT

40TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

"Skoolteecher", I am sorry for not including the 200 jobs that will go to local politicians that helped put the deal together, that's 50 to the Pentecostal Church, 50 to the Trumbull County Democratic Party, 50 to the Mahoning County Democratic Party, 25 to ACORN, and 25 to the YSU Board of Trustees.

41jethead11(139 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Wal Mart employees start at $7.00 an hour, and are non-union. Does anyone know how much Giant Eagle employees, who are union, start out at? Years ago when I lived in Youngstown they were at minimum wage. My guess is that Giant Eagle is the same or lower than Wal Mart, plus they have the union initiation fee and monthly dues to add as expenses. Do they make a "liveable" wage?

42timOthy(802 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Big G.M. Workers there's some Jobs in Liberty ! Why don't you get your Rat ass over there and work ? Half loaf of bread is better than none. Then you can ORGANIZE Wal -Mart. We know what that will get you Greedie Autoworkers. Fired!!! Of course you deserve it. What's the matter does the cat got your Rat ass ?

43UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

You can't live on $16,000 a year and pay for your benefits out of that amount. That's why Wal Mart needs a union badly. Unions will organize Wal Mart - it's just a matter of time.

44justsayin(42 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Last I checked, interviewing 6-8 people for a job opening at our company is actually quite low. During the good or bad times, it has easily taken 10 or more candidates to find one that has a good work record, displays a good attitude and possesses most of the qualities we look for. With 350 jobs x 10 interviewees per job, I don't see the need to get so excited about 2800 applicants. Many of these will be instantly weeded out due to attitude or appearance so the numbers per opening are actually low.

45JD010101(137 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hello Welcome to Walmart......

46VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I currently try to avoid Wal-Mart stores as much as I can. I once enjoyed shopping there, but no longer. Many of the products are available at other stores at very similar prices. If it is not the hoard of people, then its the parking lot. I find myself hating the "event" and prefer a Tractor Supply, Lowe's, J.C. Penny, Sears, etc.

47dbinnc(51 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

$16,000 a year is better than not having a job. You CAN live off of $16k, not comfortable, but you can live off that. If GM was smart 30 years ago, they would have moved their plants down south in non-union states. They could pay half of what your "union brothers" are milking out of them and the people would be making a good fair wage and GM would be selling cars for a lot less and actually make a profit. But no, the unions got greedy and now we are in this mess. The unions are to blame for GM's problems and the leaders of GM are to blame for letting it happen.

Unions built this country and they are destroying it. We are in an age where unions are not really needed, the problem is you've been brainwashed to think that unions are the anwser. So sad, I hope your kids are smarter than you and realize there's a big world out there and if we don't change our ways there wont be a factory job left in this country, thanks to the UNIONS.

48cambridge(3013 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

dbinnc.....In my opinion "not comfortable" would be the same as "to struggle". $16,000 a year equals no home ownership, no college education for you kids, no future retirement, no decent health care and no dignity.

Not everyone wants to live their life as a victim. That's why people join unions. In my opinion we need unions in this country more than ever.

Management is to blame for GM's problems. Those are the people in charge of the company not the union

49tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey UNIONFOREVER.. if you get hungry enough you would work for it. Thats why this country is in this trouble, because of people like you. My husband was union for 20 years and lost his job is working for 7:30 an hour, a real jump down,, but he is doing it becasue we have children, bills, and responsibilities, and you got to do what you got to do.. If you and your family get hungry, cold, or hot you will work for what you can..

50dbinnc(51 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

"cambridge" I appreciate your comments. Everyone has his/her opinion on the matter. If you want to use the term "to struggle" that's fine. I never said it would be easy, but if both husband and wife made $16k, that's $32k per year. No one has to own a home. If you can't afford it, renting is ok. (as we see with the mortage issues this country is facing). As far as college education goes, there are plenty of programs for grants and loans out there. You just have to find them. I took out loans and paid them back over time, many people do. YSU is a great school because it is affordable to all. Also, there is health care out there that is affordable, again, you have to look for it, and it sure isn't as good as you'd like, but it's there. (Trust me I know first hand). And dignity is up to the individual how they want to live their lives. You have to make the best with what you have and not worry about what people think or have (dont try keeping up with the Jones). I think kids would have a lot more respect for parents that are working, even at Walmart for $16k then a parent on strike because the union wants their workers to make $60 an hour.

51YSUgrad99(200 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

I hate Wal-Mart in Boardman. Usually after morning business hours that store gets filled with trashy looking people. Kinda ironic that the parking lot there has one of the worst crime rates in Boardman for theft and vandalism! Thank you WRTA!!!
Hopefully this new Liberty store will have a little better class of customers!

52GrammarPatrol(12 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Way to set your sights high. Just what we need, another Wal-Mart to attract even more rednecks to the area. Greatttt

53Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm hoping that Marc Dan gets a job there as a greeter. This would give the place some class ! :)

54Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

IN TRAINING AT AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION IN PREPARATION FOR THE GRAND OPENING AT THE LIBERTY STORE