Angry mob beats rape suspect

Published: Wed, June 3, 2009 @ 8:50 a.m.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A man described by police as a person of interest in the rape of an 11-year-old girl is in critical condition after being beaten by an angry mob in Philadelphia.

Police say about a dozen West Kensington residents pummeled 26-year-old Jose Carrasquillo for several minutes with fists, feet and wooden sticks Tuesday afternoon after they recognized him from a photo distributed by police.

Officers then arrived and took him into custody.

Lt. Frank Vanore says Carrasquillo was admitted to Temple University Hospital with head injuries. He is expected to recover.

Carrasquillo was arrested on an unrelated warrant but has not been charged in the rape, which happened Monday morning as the girl was walking to school.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

This man was save from a violent public by the police. Society will now do its best to extend that protection with free housing and food until the public gets a chance to forget.

2Eric(196 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

This man was a SUSPECT. Not even arrested, yet alone tried and convicted. Our system of justice is based on innocent until proven guilty. Police aren't always right, prosecutors aren't always right. That is why we have trials and juries. Even though this crime is detestable, that mob didn't know if he was even the one who did it. That man should certainly have been protected by the police, just like any of us should have been in such a situation. And the people in the mob should have been arrested.

3irishfan91(97 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I hear what you are saying Eric, but he was arrested on an UNRELATED WARRANT. That means he is generally a fine upstanding individual so I can't say I am displeased by the crowd's reaction.

4VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

The guy was arrested on another warrant anyway.
Trials are so wasteful, while public beatings certainly make felons take notice. I think the public is getting fed up with neighborhood crime
and the lack of police protection, so you have results such as this. It could become the next movement in America to take back our streets. We certainly are not seeing any results from our highly paid government officials.

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

No one caught the fact that the police were this mans best friend when they saved him from the mob. There have been cases here in Youngstown when the mob has turned on the police when a suspect was being arrested.

6FormerYoungstowner(13 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Are you serious? So beating the he** out of anyone suspected of a crime will keep society safer? WOW! You don't know how rediculous that sounds. As much as one may want to take justice into their own hands, allowing those actions would open up a pandora's box that everyone would regret.

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

"So beating the he** out of anyone suspected of a crime will keep society safer?"

Yep ! It works much better than having your neighbors watching while your family gets raped and robbed !

8KathyS(10 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

This man deserves everything that he got. What this article isn't telling you is that he mutilated that little girl so badly that she needed reconstructive surgery and is still in critical condition here in Philly. He repeatedly raped her. He was also convicted of rape in 2006 but the charges were dropped due to the victim not pressing charges. Do some research before you start defending this repeat criminal!

9Eric(196 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Kathy, how is it that you know, beyond reasonable doubt, that he is guilty? Especially since he hasn't even been charged? Just because he was picked up on an outstanding warrant doesn't mean he mutilated and raped a little girl. I am not defending such an awful crime, but I am supporting the right to a fair trial. We are setting a very bad precedent if we support mobs beating every suspect they find.

10FormerYoungstowner(13 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Stan and Kathy, read my post again and maybe you'll get my point. Eric understood what i was trying to say. I don't know if the guy did the crime or not, and neither do you. But if we allow people to beat up any random individual suspected of a crime, we are really setting ourselves up for chaos. Who's to stop someone from beating the two of you if they suspected you of committing a crime?

11skyone(11 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I hear what you're saying Kathy, but what if your child, brother, sister, husband, was in a situation where a mob did this to them and they were innocent?

12Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

FormerYoungstowner:

What was I thinking ? I'll try to work a sensitivity 101 class into my tight schedule. So the rapist should have been allowed to lurk around and get another chance ? This is difficult for me as my sympathies side with the victim and I am not repulsed by the mob action against the perp.

13dturner256(29 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

beat the drug dealers, beat the alcoholics, beat the bad parents who sell their food stamps for alcohol and drugs, and beat your meat if you get bored

14MenInMyTown(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Sometimes the rapist gets beaten...to death.

I was abducted, beaten and sexually assaulted by a stranger; a recidivist pedophile predator who spent time in prison for previous sex crimes; an animal hunting for victims in the quite, suburban neighborhoods of Rhode Island.

I was able to identify the guy and although he was arrested and indicted, he never went to trial. His trial never took place because he was brutally beaten to death in Providence before his court date. 34 years later, no one has ever been charged with the crime.

Pray for the 11-year-old girl in Philly. Pray that she get's the counseling, support and love she needs to grow strong and find peace.

My novel, Men in My Town, was inspired by the actual events surrounding my abduction, beating and sexual assault and the murder of the man who attacked me. Men in My Town by Keith Smith is available now at www.Amazon.com

For additional information, please visit the Men in My Town blog at www.meninmytown.wordpress.com.