Immigration is slowing, but more must be done

Published: Tue, June 2, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

Immigration is slowing, but more must be done

EDITOR:

Hooray! It’ll time to throw a party. I just read an article stating that Hispanic and Asian immigration is slowing down significantly.

It just goes to show you that when you start to crack down on these people good things start to happen. Our sluggish economy also has something to do with the slow down. But with that being said, I think we still have a long way to go.

Here are three things that are a must: 1) We have to send all illegals back to their country of origin; 2) We have to stop the practice of letting newborns become automatic citizens, and 3) We have to pound it into our Congress people’s heads that there will be no amnesty for these criminals and no guest worker program. Everyone knows why they suck up to these criminals, it’s because they want the Hispanic vote at election time.

Maybe someday our legislators, Republicans and Democrats alike, will wake up and start listening to their constituents on the immigration issue. The large majority of the people (especially in the southwest) want our borders secure against illegals and the problems they bring with them, like drugs, the drain on our health and welfare systems and by not assimilating to our culture and way of life they have created more gangs, murderers and lowlifes than our law enforcement officers can handle.

I hope that our Congress people wake up before it’s too late and get on the ball and get something done. I forgot one thing: Get that fence built.

BUD McKELVEY

Hermitage, Pa.

Comments

1Erplane(447 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

McKelvey.. sounds like a Native American last name, maybe of the Idora tribe? No, I'm sorry, its an IRISH name, meaning Mr. McKelvey probably had immigrants that came to America from Ireland at some point. Controlling illegal immigration is a must, but it seems to me that this letter has more of a 'keep 'em all out' attitude, and that is exactly the wrong policy for this country. We need immigrants to grow the economy. We need not to protect our past ways but to modernize the economy for job growth for both citizens in this country and for immigrants.

2boxfan(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Erplane, I totally agree with you... McKelvey needs to read a bit of IRISH immigration history to our region. McKelvey's nasty words: " lowlifes, gangsters, murderers, criminals" etc.. This fellow is a sick man.

3skittles(7 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

What kind of craziness was that letter. I am surprised that the vindicator even published that. I guess they did because the Vindicator feels that every person deserves to voice their opinion and rightly so. Obviously the writer of the letter may be ignorant of American history. We are a nation built by immigrants who came to this country for a better life. By the way, if his family did not come to this country as immigrants some time ago then he may not have had the opportunity to voice his opinion because of his freedom of speech.

4irishfan91(97 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

We need to put a stop to illegal immigration. It is truly pathetic that only a downturn in our economy results in a decrease--not any actions taken by our elected officials.

5cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

There are about 12 million illegal immigrants in the US at this time. The question is what do you do with them and how do you stop the problem. The only solution I know of is the "Cambridge Illegal Immigration Plan",

Before I explain this plan let me say this. I have nothing against people immigrating to America. All four of my grandparents immigrated from Italy legally. At least that's their story. I can even understand why people would want to come here even if they had to do illegally. Also, don't assume all of these people are involved in criminal activity. But 12 million people put a tremendous strain on the economy, social services, hospitals, emergency rooms, etc.

Of the 12 million about 1/3 are here on expired work, school and tourist visas. I've worked on many construction projects, both new and retrofit in Silicon Valley. There is cheap labor from India and Asia by the boat load working in those fabs as everything from assemblers to machine operators to engineers. The question is, what do you do with them? Round them up? That isn't realistic. The answer is the "Cambridge Plan".

With the "Cambridge Plan" they will leave on their own. Here is how it works. The government puts the whole country on notice. If you know of any illegals notify the authorities. If you employ people here on a work visa for cheap labor it is your responsibility to make sure their visa is up to date. When you know it is about to expire if it hasn't been renewed they are terminated. Being in construction you work for many companies. Every time I was dispatched to a new job I had to provide documentation that proved I was a citizen. It needs to be the employers responsibility to see such documents when they hire someone.

This is the important part. If you are an employer and are caught employing illegal immigrants it's a one thousand dollar fine for each immigrant. If you get caught a second time the fine doubles to two thousand. If you get caught again the fine doubles to four thousand and you spend six months in jail. Get the picture? Any employer facing these kinds of penalties would no longer employ anyone that they even considered illegal or on an expired visa. If these people could not work they would go back where they came from. It's just that easy.

6boxfan(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

To "clarkkent", You wote: " other than rightly describing illegas as criminals, I don't belive the words you listed are in McKelvey's letter" You went on to say: "Are you one of those liberals who distort and twist what is said and written?
1.-Clarkkent, please re-read McKelvey's letter to the editor. READ HIS LETTER.. The man is celarly sick to lump a group of people as "criminals, lowlifes, gangsters and murderers"
2.-Clarkkent, do I need to be a liberal to read the bible and undestand that the whole book is about love as you love your self?

Let's go back to immigration 101.

I have been in rural towns in Latin America.. All victims of NAFTA. For insance, millions of Mexican farmers have been force to migrate. Corn: farmend in Mexican towns for thousands of years and the main ingredient in tortillas is gone. Multinational corporations in places like Iowa sell cheaper corn to Mexicans than Mexican farmers can sell in Mexico. Kill people's way of life and people will migrate.
Do you think people migrate to Ohio for the nice climate?

Immigration Myths and Facts:

MYTH: immigrants are a drain on our social services.
FACT: By paying taxes and social security. immigrants contribute far more to goverment coffers than they use in social services. (read the most thorough national study to date on immigrant's fiscal impacts) google NCR.
MYTH: Immigrants have a negative impact on the economy and the wages of citizens and take jobs away from citizens
FACT: Immigration has a positive effect on the American economy as a whole and on the income of native-born workers.
MYTH: Immigrants bring crime to our cities and towns.
FACT:Immigrants are far less likely to commit crimes than their native born counterparts. Even as the undocumented populationhas increased in the United States. According to the depatment of justice.
MYTH: Weak border enforcement has led to high rates of undocumented Immigration. We should increase enforcement and build a a wall around our border.
FACT: Increased border security and the construction of border fences have done little to curve the flow of immigrants across the United States border. Instead, immigrats do not leave.

As a start, my childrens roots go back to 1670. From Englang to NJ and then to Ohio,

7boxfan(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I, like many of you failed to spell check..:)

8boxfan(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

clarkkent, I respect you views .. However, you're wrong! Telling lies about peole is not nice.
Your use of loaded words in your first entry makes me want to look if you do that all the time.

9cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

clarkkent....If your going to bring the DNC into it you might as well bring the RNC into it. McCain and Obama both have virtually the same plan to deal with illegals. Both parties are equally responsible. Both parties say whatever you want to hear depending on who they are talking to.

I doubt the percentage of illegals that came to the US to commit crimes is any higher than the general population. They came here for the same reason every other immigrant came here. A chance at a better life.

The problem other than the cost of social programs I mentioned is that they are being exploited by employers here in the states because of their situation. They are paid far less than their market value, That in turn exploits the American worker and the American employer they work for. The playing field is not level. It's not like an employer paying illegals at half the price is lowering the price of his service by half. They will cut their price just enough to get the business and make a far bigger profit than an employer that's playing by the rules.

There is no upside when it comes to illegals except for the people that employ them. That's why the employers are the one's you need to focus on. Even if you could round them up and deport them, big deal. What did they lose? They will just come back the next day as long as someone is willing to hire them. You have to make it so nobody is willing to hire them. Until you do that the problem won't be solved.

10cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

You can spend billions on fences and border security. As long as someone is willing to hire them they will keep coming back. You have to create an environment where no employer is willing to hire them. That would cost next to nothing. If they had no chance of employment they would no incentive to come here.

Why spend money you don't have to? Why spend money on something that won't work? They would just get on a plane and fly in. The would walk across the border as a tourist. Tens of thousands cross our boarders everyday from both directions to conduct legal business. Believe me, if you start showing employers being led away in handcuffs, problem solved.

When illegals are no longer being employed those positions would then be filled by citizens. If you think all illegals are from Mexico and are here pushing lawn mowers and cleaning houses you would be wrong. Many hold well paying jobs while our citizens collect unemployment or worse.

11redvert(2004 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I might add one thing to the cambridge plan that I think cambridge just forgot to mention. I would require the employers to take fingerprints plus photos of the worker and all the documentation that the worker provided to get the job. It is too easy to falsify documents nowadays and this would provide some security to the employer that is trying to follow the rules. Other than that, I agree 100% with the plan as proposed. Will it ever happen, I doubt it!

12cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd be for any kind of documentation that gets the job done. What ever it takes. It would be pretty hard to falsify a social security number. As soon as an employer sent a name and number to the feds that didn't match up a red flag would go up.

I doubt that it will ever happen either and I don't know why. Both parties have had all the time in the world to do something about it but very little gets done. Eventually Obama will put immigration on his agenda. When he unveils his plan, if you don't agree with it.......Obama.com.

13Erplane(447 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I must say I do agree with the Cambridge Plan. I actually thought alot of this was already on the books, but nobody enforces it. Years ago one of the companies that I bank was raided by INS in its Chicago plant and 80% of the workers were illegals. The company claimed ignorance. How can one be that ignorant?

I am for building a big big wall so long as we also have sound and fair policies for allowing educated and hard working immigrants into the country legally.

14cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

OK so you build a wall along the Mexican border. What is that going to do? Thousands of Americans, Mexicans and Canadians cross the borders every day on legal business. Are you going to put an agent on every person to make sure they return?

You could build a wall from one end to the other along both borders with towers and snipers, build a fleet of ships to patrol both coasts and build a dome over the whole country to keep all international flights out of the country. You could spend billions rounding people up, running them through the system and deporting them. And you know what? In six months they would all be back. They don't have anything to lose as long as someone is willing to hire them.

Until you see employers getting hauled away in handcuffs on the evening news the problem wont go away. I know this much about business. The thing that drives all business is the bottom line. If an employer knows that if caught he would face the penalties I listed, have his entire financial history audited by the IRS, made to produce his dogs licences and prove his tires are inflated properly it wouldn't be worth it. Business owners don't beat their heads against a wall. They figure out the bottom line and they live with it.

You know that wall in every business that has all the rules and regulations of business posted because it's required? Add the "Cambridge Illegal Immigration Plan" and it will be followed by every business in the country. That's the beauty of the "Cambridge Plan". It's doesn't cost anything. Fear is a great motivator.

As far as legal immigrants. I welcome them. We need them. Immigrants that wait in line and are an addition to the country are more than welcome in my book.

15boxfan(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Entering the U.S without proper documentation is a CIVIL VIOLATION. (look it up) I must confess, I too have commited illegal acts at times by speeding 2 or 3 miles over speed limits. Yes, I have done that in clear violation of CIVIL LAWS. Have you ever done that? If so, does that make you an illegal? You see, some people, even good reasonable people use that CODE word that dehumanizes a person. Others, know full well that the word "illegal" creates FEAR. Read it again..."illegal"..what comes to mind?

Now, going back as to why people migrate.

Does anyone suppose that a men or a woman prefers to uproot, leaving behind family and friends without immigration papers to face the posibilty of a horrible death at the border, just because it's a cool thing to do?

As many as 40,000 undocumented people work in salve work conditions in Immokalee, Fla. The Feds know that.
Why do you think food is so cheap?

My food bill is about 15% of my weekly income. Thank God I could afford to pay up to up to 500 dollars a week on food.. If only my fat lazy kids can agree to get a gob in Immokalee for 8 bucks an hour.
Now, that's a fat chance.
What we need is immigration reform that rewards hard working immigrats. Make them pay a fine for their sins and allow them a path to citizenship. It is a moral issue...An American thing to do.

16timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Though WE are a coutry of imigrants let me give you my experince with imigrants. I worked in South Fla. with Building Trades in the 1980's. The Cubans, and Hatians were coming there in mass numbers. Very nice people ! The cubans are the ones I worked with the most. They understood English better than there French counterpart. As we showed and taught are craft things on Jobs work got better and more organized. Now around five years later 85 or so they were only speaking spainish on the jobs. Hell what was Irishman to do ? I came back home with my Trade Book and worked in America's Northeast section. Where American was spoken. Or English if you dare. I have only one thing to comment on. Will the last English speaking American please bring home our American Flag even if it's made in China!!!!!!!!!!!

17cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

boxfan.....Your thanking God for 40,000 undocumented people working in slave conditions so you can have cheap food? Your missing the part where those same 40,000 contribute to the cost of hospitals, schools, police protection and on and on while doing nothing to contribute to paying for them.

You don't seem to understand that those 40,000 are being exploited by the people they work for as are your children who have to compete with them in the workforce.

I agree it's a moral issue. It's immoral to exploit people so you can pay $0.10 less for a head of lettuce.

18boxfan(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

cambridge...Very well, let's look at the 40,000 (most of them) undocumented farm workers from Immokalee for the sake of argument.
You mention the "cost of hospitals, schools, police protection and on and on while doing nothing to contribute to paying for them"
They may pay more in taxes than you think.
The IRS issues them an ITN number to pay federal taxes, at the sametime, social security taxes and state taxes are withheld from their paychecks.
The undocumented pay city taxes too by the rent they pay to their landlords.
Food taxes, clothing sales tax, beer taxes, gas taxes, cigarette taxes. Etc..
Schools and police protection is paid by the undocumented thru taxation.

Undocumented immigrants pay from their small wages for doctors visits..Yes. many of them do not have health insurance. The multinational farm corporations do not care to give them medical care.

One last point, our country needs hard working people who are willing to pay the price for a better future. Join me in welcoming the undocumented.

19VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Immigration built this country into what we enjoy(?) today. My parents came to this country as work guests by a sponsor in Maryland, then obtained their citizenships several years later here in Ohio. They had to learn English. They had to swear allegiance to The United States of America. They worked hard, bought land and paid taxes. This is the way it was, and this is the way it should be all across America. Unfortunately, our liberal ways are allowing our "American" way of life to slowly disappear. I have nothing against legal immigration, or against any hard working group willing to stake out an honest living here in the "States". I do, however, object to those who prefer to carry along their own language as well as their native country flag and impose those upon us by forcing us to learn and speak their way. If this trend continues, we will be a country that speaks a different language by 2050 and it will not be a different english language. This is not an opinion, this is a fact based on historical evidence.

20backatyou(10 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Why are we OK with these illegal immigrants?
Posted 1 year 6 weeks ago by Joel

Call the Minutemen! Call Lou Dobbs! Call your member of Congress! Illegal immigrants are clearly awful, taking the jobs of Americans and disrupting our culture with their refusal to adapt to American ways!

You know who I'm talking about, don't you? The Irish of course:

The prime minister of Ireland today is appearing before a joint session of Congress to make a plea on behalf of illegal Irish immigrants after disclosing that he has spent the past several months wrangling with individual members for a special visa deal.

Irish immigrant groups have been pushing for a bill that would create a new set of visas available only to the Irish, including those living in America illegally, ever since a bill that would have created a path to legalization for illegal immigrants of all nationalities collapsed last summer.

With significant political clout thanks to the well-established Irish-American community and a relatively small request — the number of Irish coming to America has dwindled in recent years as Ireland’s economy has expanded — the groups are hopeful lawmakers will be sympathetic to their cause.

Now I'm trying to imagine the unholy hell that would be unleashed if the president of Mexico were to appear before a joint session of Congress to plead for his country's illegal immigrants here. There would have been a week of hype and recriminations to make the Jeremiah Wright controversy look sedate.

Here's the other thing: Opponents of illegal immigration generall say their opposition is not rooted in race, but in process -- there already is a path to legal working status and citizenship and it's not fair for people ot bypass that process. Fine. And it seems that Sens. Edward Kennedy and Chuck Schumer -- who have, uh, rather significant Irish constituencies -- are the movers and shakers behind this bill. And yes: They're Democrats.

But you've got to wonder: Where's Mark Krikorian's angry posts about illegal Irish immigrants getting special favors? Why isn't Lou Dobbs bellowing about this? And just to keep things in-house, where's Frosty? The whole debate about illegal immigration isn't really about race is it?

Is it?

funny how none of you mention this secret ,, wake up none of you know anything