Pavlik wants to fight on HBO

Published: Tue, July 14, 2009 @ 12:05 a.m.

Champ has second thoughts on Showtime’s tourney; says “big-time” boxers fight on HBO.

By Joe Scalzo

YOUNGSTOWN — When Showtime announced its lineup last week for its upcoming super middleweight tournament, some boxing fans wondered, “Why wasn’t Kelly Pavlik involved?”

Initially, Pavlik said he would have been interested, but after researching the tournament over the past week, he’s changed his mind.

“Why would I be in that tournament when I’m a middleweight?” he said. “They never asked me and I never wanted to join.

“Let them beat each other up. Let them ruin their careers for peanuts.”

The round-robin tournament will include some of the biggest names in the division — Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell — and IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham, who will relinquish his belt and move up.

Each fighter is guaranteed three bouts, with points awarded based on the results. (Three points for a knockout, two for a decision, one for a draw.) The top four advance to the single-elimination finals.

It’s a big career risk for what Pavlik considers a small payoff — about $3 million or $4 million for the winner, he said.

“Those guys are fighting for peanuts,” said Pavlik. “They’re going to burn their whole career and for what? Nobody watches Showtime.

“Trust me, when the winner of that tournament fights his next fight, it’ll be on HBO.”

HBO is the biggest network for boxing and most of Pavlik’s biggest fights have been on that network in recent years, including his two bouts against Taylor and his knockout of Edison Miranda.

Although Pavlik’s latest bout, a 10th-round knockout of Marco Antonio Rubio in Youngstown in February, was broadcast on independent pay-per-view, Pavlik made it clear he wants to fight for HBO.

“I like HBO,” he said. “I will fight for HBO. All the big-time fighters like Floyd Mayweather, [Manny] Pacquiao, [Miguel] Cotto, Shane Mosley, the Klitschkos — they all fight on HBO.”

Although Pavlik has been out of the spotlight in recent months, he still considers himself one of the five biggest names in boxing.

Some have argued that he needs to do a better job promoting himself on a national level, particularly if he wants to earn bigger paydays, but Pavlik disagrees.

“I’ve got enough going on right now,” he said. “There’s not much more that I can do just by me making an appearance with the camera shining on my face.”

Although several middleweights are eager to fight Pavlik, he has set his sights on WBA champion Felix Sturm. (Pavlik holds the WBC and WBO belts, while Abraham’s IBF belt is up for grabs.)

Problem is, HBO recently offered just $2 million for a Pavlik-Sturm bout and Pavlik said he’s not willing to fight for such a low figure.

Although that statement may not sit well with some fans, Pavlik would likely clear about $300,000 from that fight after taxes and other deductions. That’s not enough for a title fight, he said, and said it’s no different from LeBron James wanting a maximum contract from the Cleveland Cavaliers.

He wants to be paid what he’s worth, he said.

“I fought my way up for seven years, I’ve fought for $3 million and $2.5 million a fight, why decline that much?” he said. “Yeah, the economy is bad, but there’s still more money out there.

“That’s like [Browns quarterback] Brady Quinn playing for $300 a week. It’s bull[crap].”

Pavlik said he’s content to stay at 160 pounds for a few years before moving up in weight to fight the winner of the Showtime tournament.

“Whoever the winner is,” he said, “I’ll kick his [butt].”

scalzo@vindy.com

Comments

1maximus(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Pavlik, I am laughing at you.

2Boo(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Kelly -- I'm one of the biggests fans you have, but champ, you need to shut up. You're the middleweight champion of the world, so GET BUSY. Stop chasing money and super-fights, and start knocking guys out left and right like you did on your way up. Clear your division of every poosible challenge, and when a new star appears on the horizon, knock out that guy out too. That's what Haglar and Hopkins did, and they seem to have done alright!

3jrolley325(800 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

boo f'ing hoo, pavlik. you ONLY made 2.5 million last fight. it must be so hard to live on that.

you go from "i'll fight anybody" to chasing the big payday just like the rest of the egomaniacal A-holes out there such as T.O. and company. just shut up be thankful millions of people would love to be in your position.

4Palacas(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope he wasn't drinking when he gave this interview, what a bunch of BS

5SDYTOWN(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I dont think many of you that comment on here really look at the whole picture. Great boxers have anywhere from 25-50 fights in there career and there done. There bodies are beaten worse in 36 min. than ours are in 3-6 years. He is a world champion and he deserves top paydays he has more than paid his dues to get to where he is today.

6jimmiejames(17 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

......in their career and they're done. Their bodies....then ours are in..... I was proud, I am no longer! Get in the ring!

7mikeyboxx(14 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

This is all because Pavlik is with Top Rank. This is Bob Arum talking...Pavlik is so brain washed that after Arum postponed/canceled the fight with Mora he goes and signs for another two years with Top Rank. Top Rank is running Pavlik's career, it's a shame because I'm a huge fan.