GM axes afternoon shift at Lordstown

Published: Mon, January 26, 2009 @ 12:47 p.m.

LORDSTOWN — General Motors is cutting the afternoon shift from its Lordstown complex starting April 6.

About 800 workers are to be laid off when the plant goes down to one shift, said Chris Lee, a GM spokeswoman.

These layoffs are in addition to the 2,000 furloughs that were announced at the end of last year as part of the elimination of the midnight shift and slowing down of the assembly line. The assembly and fabricating plants were shut down all of this month and were to reopen Feb. 2 with two shifts per day instead of three.

Lee said the assembly plant will open with both shifts Feb. 2, but then the two shifts will alternate weekly between Feb. 9 and March 30. One shift will be on, while the other will be laid off. He said he wasn't sure how staffing would be handled at the fabricating plant, which produces metal parts used at the assembly plant.

GM also announced that it was cutting the afternoon shift at a plant in Lansing, Mich., starting March 30. About 1,200 workers will be laid off.

Lee said cuts are being made to align production with falling demand for cars. The Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are produced in Lordstown.

Comments

1tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

It just keeps getting worse and worse. I feel for anyone loosing there jobs, My husband lost his in 11/07 and it has been so hard..With a family of five, I understand totally, I work full time(thank god) but he can only find a minimum wage job and he used to make 16.00 an hour, we also lost our health care at that time and had to go through my place of employment and it is costly. We have been out 1,600.00 less a month than we used to have and it has been very hard, if we would of been living beyond our means we would of been sunk along time ago. Good Luck,,,Hang in there..

2scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunatly this is a sign of the times. We already have more cars than the public wants to buy, so it only makes sense to reduce production. With any luck the economy will turn around and the 2nd shift will come back perminently.
Until consumer confidence comes back and they start spending money, auto sales will be sluggish.
Thankfully Lordstown makes the small/fuel efficient models so they would most likely be the products to move quickest.

3sobeit(98 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I can totally sympathize with everyone. My husband lost his job in April of 2008 and was just laid off again on Friday. I don't know how we're going to do it. Luckily, I have a full time job that pays my health care premium.
I hope this string of "bad luck" ends soon.

4ismellmyhand(26 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmm.... Lot of good all the straight democratic does. Wouldn't you prefer an honest ron paul style economy rather than govt choosing winners and losers and suckering the sheeple? Democrats are the biggiest recipients of bank and union contributions. The unions are corrupt. A tyranny of the old over the young.

5ismellmyhand(26 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmm.... Lot of good all the straight democratic voting does. Wouldn't you prefer an honest ron paul style economy rather than govt choosing winners and losers and suckering the sheeple? Democrats are the biggiest recipients of bank and union contributions. The unions are corrupt. A tyranny of the old over the young. We've been sold out. At least China is in for a pound or two of economic and political hurt itself after what has happened to the Valley. Those poor Chinese and their terrible government. I know you all want to sell yourselves into slavery and have the govt take care of you but that is what got us here to begin with.

6Ohiotexan(1 comment)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

And people live up there for ?? Cold, and low paying jobs I presume. I left in 1980,and never looked back. I hope for all that get/got laid off that things wil get better quickly for you and your families, keep praying.

7TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

The City of Youngstown just gave 3% raises. Federal Judges were given raises added into the TARP stimulus Bill, as everyone in the Private Sector had to work last Monday, while everyone in the Public Sector got paid to stay home. The Tail wagging the...

8coby6(1 comment)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

If you've lost your job or are about to, consider moving. Yes, I know it can be tough and now is not the best time to find work in another area. But you may be surprised at the opportunities in places not that far away: Columbus, Nashville, Indianapolis,etc.

One of the biggest surprises you will find is that these places do not have the downbeat, depressing, victim-like attitude of the Mahoning Valley. I know - I left years ago and have no regrets.

9dagoat64(38 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I believe that this kind of trouble does not only effect the MV. It is only a matter of time before all the afformentioned areas feel the downbeat, depressing, victom like wrath of a down troddened economy. Look at the bright side, at least we of the MV know how to survive tough times. We as a community don't really have to fall as far as those that think they have it so much better. Good luck and God be with you. coby6

10ldchian(56 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

several months ago when we were talking about helping out the auto industry many of the people who post on this site said they hoped gm would fail somehow to punish the autoworkers. one guy even said the area wouldn't suffer if it did. (fortunately, i haven't seen any of his posts lately.) but here we are and is anyone really happy about it?

and to everyone who's out of work, i can only say i've been in that situation and somehow things work out. but it's really hard. good luck.

11VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Those dot com job sites can be useful, but with today's economy, there are hundreds of resume's to filter thru. One person said he felt lucky to be called for an interview, but went through 3 interviews before losing out against 8 other top 10 applicants. He claims he came in second for a job which paid 1/3 less than he earned prior. With today's supply of available talent, there will always be one person that has one slight advantage over you. Human Resources who are hiring are really getting the pick of the litter.

12Chief178(57 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I was laid off in 1980, for the next two years I did auto body work but people didn’t have the money to have their car's painted. So in 1982 I joined the navy I retired after 24 years and I still work for the navy in Tennessee, I would love to come home but there is nothing there for me. No jobs the crime is high and the schools are struggling.

The point to my comment is you have to make your own things happen like I did, get out of that steel mill/union mentally make your own future and rely on yourself not the union or GM and quit crying.

13Westsider(220 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I would not recommend Monster.com - but Careerbuiilder is great. Unfortunately, people may absolutely have to move in this economy - which will be tough because the tap roots in this area run very deep - and Mahoning Valley residents (some of them extremely uneducated and narrow-minded) cling to this area like it is the only way to live. Believe me, there are other areas even within Ohio that do not have the downtrodden attitude of Youngstown - but it is necessary for one to become more educated and broaden one's mind before a transition to anywhere else would be successful.

14XFilesX(77 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

When I was young, I left the area but came back for my parents. My parents are long gone now, but my spouse has their parents still here. I would love to leave because I have seen a better life than here. My child is grown and gone. No worries about schools for me. I'm educated and can find an equal job to what I have if not better. My spouse would fair better too. But that family bond won't let them leave. It's a shame.

15rex(62 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

What percentage of pay do the laid off employees get? Is their hospitalization still paid for them?

16YSUgrad99(200 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Whoever signed that labor contract on behalf of the automakers back in the 1980's should be tarred and feathered! The 'jobs bank' is an embaressement to the UAW and further shows how fat their workers have become. Lets see...report to work...do nothing...get paid....wow! They should call it 'rob the bank' instead of 'jobs bank.'

17clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I do believe GM employees get 95% of their pay when they are laid off as well as unemployment to supplement it. So, don't feel too sorry for them, feel bad for those whose jobs are lost because if the ripple effect. Those are the people who are struggling. I have been there, done that, I can only say to those, things will get better, somehow. If you can, get out, there really is another world out there, where skies are blue and the sun shines. It is survival of the fittest, your roots will always be there and you can always come back. Do what you have to do for yourselves and your families first. Put guilt aside and just DO it. If you have kids, give them an opportunity to grow up in a place where they will have a future. You owe them that. Y-Town is NOT that place.

18electrician101(22 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

This comment is for YSUgrad99

You are another shining example of the unjustified hatred for the UAW in the MV.

I assume you graduated from YSU in 99' from your post name?

Google has been a search engine since 1998 and if they taught you how to use it at YSU I suggest typing in Japanese "employment for life".

There you will discover that it was the Japanese who pioneered the 'jobs bank' NOT the UAW. The UAW just mirrored what the non-union transplant workers were getting. GM like the Japanese automakers liked the idea of the bank because it kept a pool of workers that were trained in case they were needed. Thousands of dollars are spent training employees and contrary to popular MV anti union belief a person doesn't just walk into GM and start building automobiles.

The Japanese transplant auto companies, like Toyota and Honda, currently have people in their 'jobs bank' including the Honda plant right here in Ohio.

So I ask you, why no outcry for Japanese auto manufacturers?

Does the Americans 'current love affair' with Japanese autos allow them to turn a blind eye while bashing the UAW for the exact same policy?

On Monday it will be announced that there will no longer be a 'jobs bank' at GM.

That should make you happy, right?

Of course now you will have to find some other 'dead horse' to beat to feed your jealousy and hatred.

If your opinions represent the majority of students graduating from YSU then I lose ALL respect for the quality of education being taught there.

19avoiceofreason95(3 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

When the "jobs bank" was instituted in the 80's it was also a direct result of the climate of all of the domestic jobs being sent to Mexico.

It was supposed to be a deterrent to move jobs out of the country because you would have to pay the workers here as well as the costs involved with making cars there. Only makes sense to keep the jobs domesticly right?

Well GM, Ford, and Chrysler have done the unthinkable. They have moved the majority of their plants outside of the U.S.A. and have the general public CHEERING at those workers whose jobs have been sent packing.

How PATHETIC the uninformed general public is? They have listened to WALL STREET CROOKS tell them how the horrible auto-worker makes $72 per hr.

Does anyone out there realize WHAT THAT # represents??? U want to talk CREATIVE ACCOUNTING .... for the uninformed ... that number is current employees hourly wages and benefits + all the retirees (including those that have long been deceased) pension and benefits .... now divide that number by the number of active hourly employees ( currently 73,000 )!!! Imagine how much our Congressmen and Senators must make by such a comparison!! It's ridiculous not to mention IRRATIONAL!

The question you should all be asking ... if the GM workers in Mexico are making less than $2 an hr. why does the Chevy Suburban cost so much?? Your answer is the very people who are to blame for the mess we are all in .... the CORPORATE FAT CATS who have been raping the auto industry for decades. When a CEO is making 260 times ($16.9 million) the average employee ... who is the overpaid one. GM's Chief Accountant made $7.9 million ... an accountant for God's sake! What is standard and customary for an Accountant these days?

What I am trying to say is that YOUR ANGER IS MISGUIDED MY FRIENDS! Not that the UAW is without its faults ... but when u make the roughly the same # of vehicles as you did in 1977 with roughly 300,000 fewer employees THERE IS ONLY 1 POSSIBLE REASON THEY AREN'T MAKING MONEY ..... POOR MANAGEMENT AND CORPORATE GREED!!!!!

20lhs1990(1 comment)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Old Man Grump: Why do you always comment about GM and act like you know what you are talking about? I can give you a FACT because my husband is now out of work...He DOES NOT make 72% of his pay from GM. I wish he could lay around on the couch all day as you infer! He has made himself sick worrying about how he is going to support our family and trying to find a job - even with his college degree he hasn't been able to find anything. I am so sick of your comments here and on all the other newspapers expressing your pure joy of decent hardworking Americans being out of work. Could you try to find your heart and have a little compassion for your fellow human beings?

21tchnmg3(4 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I just got laid off from an $8.00 an hour non-union steel mill job and I'm looking for any job I can take. The union worker who gets laid off won't take any job less than $20 an hour and they snub their noses at us the real backbone of this country the non-union worker. See, I didn't have a family member in the union so I can never get a union job, so pardon me if I don't shed a tear for them. Union's in their current configuration are bloated, corrupt organizations that care only to stuff their pockets, and they should be held accountable to everyone not just the union workers since we are being asked to bail them out....and give them part of my $8.00 an hour.

22electrician101(22 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

tchnmg3

Since your such an economic wiz kid then you should realize someone who is making $28/hr for the last 15 years probably hasn't set up their spending life the same as someone who makes $8/hr. So taking a job that pays less than $20/hr probably won't get the bills paid.

BTW you don't need a family member in a union to belong to a union. All it takes is some guts on your part and from the rest of the chickens around you.
I think it's hilarious the way some people think the 'union' should just automatically help out the non union worker who doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to take on the bully management they work for.

The union only can help those that help themselves.

If you make $8/hr that equates to $16,640/year (no overtime). If you are single and claim the entire amount (which you don't because of deductions) your federal tax would be less than $2000.

My federal tax is over ten times that amount which means it would take you over ten years at your current pay rate to equal the amount of taxes I pay in one year.

YOU will use up more of MY tax contribution for your unemployment compensation alone then I would ever use of YOUR minuscule contribution to the GM government LOAN (not a bail-out). But hey, thanks anyhow.

People will constantly complain how much a GM worker makes but they NEVER complain how much the GM worker pays in taxes.

23dagoat64(38 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

tchnmg3, These are exactly the types of statements from uaw workers which fuel negative feelings from others. Who cares about how much more you make and pay in taxes? I can't believe you even took the time to do the math. There are many americans, union or non-union facing jobless times. Maybe we should all just get along and pray for each other and our families.

24clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Of course the more you make the more taxes you pay....doesn't take a NASA scienist to figure that one out, but tch was just making a comment, he/she was making 8 bucks an hour and got laid off..think about it people, how far would would $320.00 a week get you? Are you, electrician saying that we should feel sorry for you not tch??Gawd, this community has the mentaity of a pet rock.

25tchnmg3(4 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

electrician101, you are obviously an overpaid union worker and just to let everyone on the board know, when the jobs were posted for the Lordstown plant before this whole sleigh ride began it inspired great hope for many in our valley, we would get a chance to prove our value and get a union job with a great future, but those hopes were quickly smashed into the ground when we all found out that you had to either be related to a union worker or have one submit your name to be hired in, which is complete B.S. and THANKFULLY KARMA IS PAYING YOU BACK NOW. And for the record, I am a decorated combat veteran and have been told by every boss I have ever worked for that I am an asset, so before you say everyone who doesn't support unions has no balls, I'll put mine on the table anytime against yours! And were is the union support when you try to organize and lose your job because of it, the union rewards your efforts, not by helping you find another job, but by turning there back on you. So before you rant, do a little research.

26electrician101(22 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

tchnmg3

You post loathing the union and with some added dig as to how you're mad that some part of your $8.00/hr pay is going to the GM 'bail-out' and you don't expect a retaliatory remark?

My post was to expose the stupidity of your post.

And yes, clayor, I feel for ANYONE losing their job and unlike the majority of the anti unionistas that post constantly here I don't don't wish ill on any of them like they do for the members of the UAW.

You anti union people amaze me. If the lot of you would get together and put 1/10 the effort into organizing a union to fight your own greedy management as you do posting your hate for the UAW and the unions, then you would have something.

You shouldn't throw rocks when you live in a glass house.

27JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

So, tchnmg3, basically what you're saying is that because you didn't get a job at Lordstown you hate anyone that did, right?

Don't get me wrong, I give you credit for coming out and saying it...most who post here don't admit it.

28votersrule(2 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Small cars,Large cars,SUV's,pick-ups...they all sit in inventory.When most businesses realize excess quantities of product they realize they must slash prices extensively to move inventory, The automakers seem to feel the need for large profits instead of smaller profits which would encourage cash flow.Add the fear of job loss to the equation, increasing taxes on EVERYTHING,skyrocketing healthcare costs, dropping home values, 30 to 50% loss of value in retirement accounts.....all of these things somehow do not add up enough to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about buying a new car,

29tchnmg3(4 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

JeffLebowski, Its not even a question of that. I grew up in a union family and benefited from it, I just hate what the unions have become. When my Dad was in the USW it meant something and anyone willing to work hard was welcome, but now its an exclusionary club where only certain people are allowed and everyone else is shut out, this is not what the early union organizers fought and died for!!!!! If you are in a union and support this kind of behavior then you are more anti-union than anyone on the face of this planet....and if you disagree with me just ask yourself what would Jimmy
Hoffa have to say.

30Chief178(57 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

All of you don't get it, it doesn't matter if you are in the union or not that Town and the surrounding area is not going to bounce back. There are not too many companies running down I-680 to setup shop in the Youngstown area. The infrastructure, the crime, the schools and the Youngstown workers attitude is the problem. I saw this coming 25 years ago that’s why I left. If things don't change there will be another Black Monday all over again when GM moves out.

31JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

...but the basis of your POV is that you still have an axe to grind because you didn't get in. As I said before, that's totally fine (and obvious).