Austintown opens to nondistrict pupils

Published: Tue, January 13, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

By Elise Franco

The board’s vote on open enrollment was not unanimous.

AUSTINTOWN — The school board voted to open the district to Ohio pupils from outside Austintown, starting next year.

In a three-to-two vote, the board approved a recommendation to implement open enrollment for the 2009-10 school year.

Board members David Ritchie, Joyce Pogany and Louis Chine voted in favor. Richard Zimmermann and Traci Morse were opposed.

Zimmermann said he voted against open enrollment because he’d like to see people who want to send their children to Austintown schools actually move into the township.

“I feel there are a lot of good homes in Austintown that people can move into,” he said. “If the school district is good enough to send your children to, then our township should be good enough to live in.”

No other board members gave reasons for their votes.

Superintendent Doug Heuer said allowing pupils from districts all over the state to enroll would bring much-needed money into Austintown schools.

“We’re looking at this from the reality of the coming fiscal year,” he said during Monday night’s school board meeting at Austintown Middle School. “This is one way the state allows the district to bring in new revenue without raising property taxes.”

Heuer said school districts can choose to allow pupils from districts immediately bordering its own to enroll, or it can open up enrollment to any pupil in Ohio.

He said 74.4 percent of schools in Ohio have open enrollment, and of those, 55 percent choose to go statewide.

“We have chosen the all-districts option,” Heuer said. “I recommend if we’re moving ahead, it would be best to maximize potential.”

Heuer said he’s not sure how much in state funding each outside pupil would bring into the district, but in 2008-09, the figure was $5,472 per pupil.

He said last spring and summer he received many inquiries from parents interested in sending their children to Austintown, although he didn’t have an exact number.

“I think next year we’ll certainly be able to get enough students to offset the loss of Austintown students who open enroll in other districts,” Heuer said.

He said this school year alone, 168 pupils chose to leave the district through open enrollment, costing Austintown schools roughly $900,000. According to the Ohio Department of Education Web site, the district’s current enrollment is 4,951 pupils.

efranco@vindy.com

Comments

1MR_AL3X(24 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

At first I was absolutely against open enrollment, but once you see the figures the BOE has no chioce. The BOE could, and most likely would have looked past this option if the citizens of this community cared about the schools and voted yes on the last levy.

2cityslicker(21 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Grump, I told you this would happen. Now that Austintown has opened up the floodgates to it's school system the J.E.D. seems like a good ideal now. How does it feel Grump? I guess Austintown is no better than any other cash strapped district needing money and they will do whatever it takes to get it, including open enrollment.

3AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

They were doing open enrollment with or without the levy. Now they can pretty much guarantee that the 168 students who open enroll elsewhere will dramatically jump. Zimmerman is right, you want to send your kids here, buy one of the thousands of houses for sale in the township. Now there is no incentive to even stay in the township. You can move anywhere in the state and still send your kid to Austintown. There is a reason Boardman and Canfield and Poland do not open enroll.

4aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh this is absolutely horrible. Austintown was starting to get bad enough without the open enrollment.

And Atown... with all of these little hoodlums that are going to start going to Austintown schools because of the open enrollment, it's not even worth it to keep your kid(s) in Austintown schools whether you move anywhere in the state or not. The school system just screwed itself and it's just going to follow in the footsteps of Youngstown City Schools, just like Struthers did when they allowed open enrollment.

But hey, like I keep hoping for -- maybe all the trash can spread out to the suburbs and we can have our Youngstown back.

5AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Trust me, these schools have their own issues without the open enrollment, but adding more issues to the problems is not going to help. And I am not talking about hoodlums or whatever entering the schools. I am talking about adding more kids to the already overcrowded classrooms. They already can not control the kids they have, adding more kids is just a recipe for disaster.

6Westsider(215 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I am pleased that Austintown is going open enrollment - my child transferred from Chaney to Austintown last year - was an honor student - not a behavior problem and had a wonderful experience. The students and teachers were wonderful. For those residents who are worried - Austintown can set its own standards for accepting students from other districts and does not have to take everyone. I believe this decision means that Youngstown will see a steep drop in enrollment - mainly from the west side - thanks to the poor leadership of the Superintendent and the Youngstown Board of Education.

7TheLostPatrol(748 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

For all you teachers in the Austintown District, with the additional raise you'll be getting thanks to the dolars coming into the District through open-felonious-enrollment, I'd suggest taking a conceal-carry course and get armed and ready to lock and load. As for the current parents of students in this District might I suggest Private Schools; its a small price to pay then paying for Legal Services, protection orders, etc. No way a Levy will pass in Austinown for 2009. Zimmerman and Morse, you got it right!

8AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

You don't need to go private - Ridge, Western Reserve, and McDonald all have open enrollment.

9dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

You guys all make me laugh! You knew it was going to happen whether the levy passed or not! They are money hungry just like everyone else. Do you honestly think that many students from Youngstown are going to sign up for Austintown when their parnets can get vouchers to send them to private school. You can try open enrollment through McDonald, Ridge, and even Jackson Milton. But last I checked Western Reserve was not open for enrollment. You can also always go private!

10allstar720(237 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

lol! lock up your daughters.

11AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Western Reserve is, I checked it out myself at the beginning of this school year.

12tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

You people crack me up.. Just because children are raised on the westside and go to Youngstown schools doesn't mean they are bad and stupid and hoodlems.. All my four boys attend youngstown schools and are High Honor Roll students and have never been in trouble. There are some bad ones in these schools ( there are bad ones in all schools) it has to come from the home. Lot of area schools have open enrollment and it is going great. Just because you can't afford to live in a certain are does not mean you have bad kids. Last I heard Poland High School students have the worst drug problems of all the area schools ( and that is a fact from a good inside source) Get a life people. We don't need your school to send our children. Like I said I have 4 in Youngstown public and they are doing great and I believe Chaney and Canfield were in the Vindicator a couple of weeks ago winning bronze metals out of a ton of ohio schools //I don't think I seen Austintown there now did I??? That why this country is in trouble because of people like you. Let your schools fail than... you need the money to stay alive ..so I think you need us we don't need you.. give me a break.. Grow up .. Good kids are made from within the home not where they live..

13metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

well no but if you go by the percentage there are more bad kids in Youngstown schools then in Austintown schools. Look at how many fights and drugs that go on at East High school. Don't belive me then check the police reports for how often they are called there. Notice today a article appeared about Youngstown thinking about going to a 4 day school day to save money. Why can't we do that too?

14dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

By the way you all seem to think everyone that lives in austintown was raised in austintown. I was born and raised on the westside of youngstown. My dad was a firefighter there. Us, Youngtown people, are not all hoodlums as called in a post. You all think the worst too. You do realize the superintendant and principles all sit down, look over everyone who applied for open enrollment, and get to hand pick the students who get to attend Austintown schools? Do you honestly think they will take problem students? No they will not. Plus once they are in doesn't mean they automatically stay. If they are a problem, miss too much school, or just a bad student, they will lose that privlege.

Sorry Atown parent, I was thinking of south range, not western reserve.

15AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

My biggest issue is still the same one it was when this was first brought up, the overcrowding in the elementary schools. These kids are shoved in like sardines as it is because of the closing of Davis. I will not tolerate my child having a classroom in a trailer outside their building because our superintendent needs to make more money for the district yet refuses to make the necessary cuts as addressed in the state audit.

16metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Yeah let's see if that works as you claim. heck Heuer is rarely there anyways and you think he will spend each and everyday hours looking at hundreds of student who want to go to Austinown schools?Doubt it,he only comes when he feels like it or there is a board meeting. So who would do the job,the board with no comment sense or someone they hire to do it for them?

17metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

overcrowding is really no suprise,talking to Heuer is like talking to a brick wall. he is stubburn and nothing will make him change his mind. Plus he seems like a real jerk to me. You wonder why most people in Austintown hate him,that might be some reasons why.

18C23Z(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Everyone seems to be bad-mouthing Heuer, but I don't think he even gets to vote on these things.. so why does he get blamed for them.. just like the Davis closing, I heard the board members vote to close the school, but no one ever spoke against them for that decision. As far as the quantity and quality of students that come in, open enrollment is not a free pass for anyone to come in wherever they want.. I do believe that first, the school must have room for them, and second, the school system must approve the students, based on criteria established by the district, to keep out the "hoods" so many of you are concerned about.
A-town schools are still a great place to learn, and will continue to do so.

Grump.. Do you even live in A-town? I see you make comments condemning decisions made by all cities, makes people wonder if you may just be a drifter with a library card that goes from city to city, and complains about what he can't control.. just a thought

19dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Atown parent: I know where you are coming from that is why I chose to use open enrollment in another school district. I did not want my child stuff into an over crowded room.

Metz: Even if the super is not there the principals will be. They are not going to take in trouble youth. They are going to go by guidelines. The students acceoted have to keep earning the right to stay at the school too.

The other thing I seem to remember is they said if the levy passed they would not have to go to open enrollment. I know it fail the first time, almost every school levy does, but it has not even gone up a second time and there is going to be open enrollment. Does the board actually think residents are going to vote to pay more taxes for surrounding areas children to benefit? I am going to guess no. The board should have waited til after the next election in March to decide on OE.

20metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Yeah the BOE also mees things up but who is in charge Heuer or the BOE or do they both share the blame? Since they voted him in maybe they are the real problem but you got to admit Heuer is no good.

21AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Heuer is the one who brings all this to the board and they vote. He was the one who introduced it last year, but frankly, I think he is just Ritchie's flunky. Ritchie has wanted open enrollment for awhile now because that way he gets the income he needs to give the unions whatever they want. We need someone up there who has a set to stand up and make the tough decisions when it comes to the unions. It really ticks me off that they have no problem making decisions that negatively impact the students, but cutting some jobs they can't do.

22metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Such is what moeny does to people,it corrupts them. the students really matter liitle to them.

23harbres(29 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I haven't read all of the posts... so I am not going to try to be specific... all schools are alike in a lot of ways... they all have their bad and all have their good...

the difference with Youngstown city schools and the other Mahoning county schools is Youngstown City deals with their problem kids in house.

The other schools in the county have another way of dealing with them (at least they did in the past)

Adams Alternative Program--- run by the Mahoning County Educational Service Center.... I believe it is now called the PACE program I think.... You didn't hear of the trouble with the kids that get sent to Adams.. it got kept hush hush.

It serviced students from all Mahoning county districts EXCEPT YOUNGSTOWN --- Austintown (2 buses of kids), Boardman, Canfield, Poland, Struthers, Campbell, Western Reserve,and South Range, Jackson Milton (not alot of kids between those three last districts I listed), West Branch (full bus of kids also) ---

So not just Youngstown has kids with MAJOR behavior problems... your big wonderful districts out in the county just now how to hide them better.

The districts paid their allotment of money per each of those students(and then some) to have them bussed and taught at Adams (which by the way is located in Youngstown -- was in the old Adams School building right there across from Indianola furniture --- the are now located up the street on Shady Run Road in the St Mathias school building)

Get over yourselves... if you are that worried about your kids being in school... with those bad kids from Youngstown... pay to send them somewhere that won't have "those" kids in them or homeschool them.

24dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

You guys don't get it! We all know that there are bad kids everywhere. The bigger problem is the extent of students who's parents do not care, and all the fights that break out in the city schools. What Austintown residents need to remember is that only parents who care about their children's education will apply for OE. The ones who are willing to drive and provide transprotation for the children. You are all worrying about this way too much!

25metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Yeah that would help with the traffic problem on Idaho Road for sure. let's have more igornaet parets caussing traffic backups and causes the buses to have to wait 5 mintues to turn into the raod to school. Where would they all park? The parking lot already is pretty much full. You really need to rethink that. And yes I would know that becuse I saw it all for years I went to Fitch and it took you froever to get out of the parking lot. I now ride the bus to MCCTC and tihngs can't be any better.

26Yesman(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I'd rather not have open enrollment, but I really don't want to pay higher taxes. Unfortunately, we're probably going to get both anyway. Each board member should have to give a reason for their vote. Not explaining the reason for your vote is not acceptable to me. I'm from Y-town and moved to A-town because of the school system for my kids. Time will tell.

27metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hmm,it's like choosing bewtween crashing into a tree or going into the ditch. Niether is going to end up being pretty.

28oldschool5425(1 comment)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

First of all everyone has made very valid points, but the reality of it all is that we need to stop pointing our fingers and make these people accountable for their decisions. Remember we voted for these people they work for us. Personally, i think our boe is a joke and so is our superintendent. Mr.Heuer is not a austintown resident, he choose to hire a consultant or whatever to assist the district. Does this guy actually work or does he hire people to do his job. One thing that i haven't heard mentioned was the issue of austintown teachers threatening to strike over extended prep time. I used to have alot of appreciation for the teaching profession and believed that they really were underpaid. After reading and hearing what was going on i began to change my mind. In a nutshell they wanted more preparation time during the school day. Hours worked vs. hours paid do some number crunching and you'll see were some money could be saved. What we need is some new thinkers on our board. My wife and myself are both atown graduates and wanted to see our children go to atown schools, but recently we have been looking into other school districts.

29clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Grump..wanna buy my house in Y-town? Be the first one to come back to the city....the "burbs" aren't looking too good!

30dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

The burbs are great! Open enrollment is not going to change the area that much at all. Oh and if Youngstown goes to a 4 day week, what child is going to want to go to another school that goes 5 days? By the way I was born and raised on the westside, and you could not pay me to buy your house or any house in the Ytown area for that matter! If I decide to move, I'll move out of Ohio!

31metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

If only the residents of Austintown could disolve the BOE and get rid Of Heuer right now and get rid of this whole mess. I don't know how many longer we can put up with there baloney. enough I say!

32clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Wait till the Atown teachers get a handle on their "new" kids! They are not used to dealing with "situations"...they will be fleeing for the hills!

33AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Austintown is now the location for emotionally disturbed kids in Mahoning County. They are bused in from other school districts and the county now pays the ALSD for the use of their schools classrooms.

34xytown(63 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Well Well Well it finally happened A-Town is officially ghetto west and continues it's slide to the underbelly of Ohio......

Get out now folks it's not gonna change!!!

SAD!!!!

35metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Such is what happens when you have the worng people running your schools like someone driving blind through a fog.

36TheLostPatrol(748 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey xytown, I think you need a new Compass, didn't you mean to say that Boardman (New Youngstown) is "officially ghetto south". As I head home up Market Street every evening, I see Boardman Police sitting in business parking lots every two blocks from the Newport Area to Route 224. Also, Shields road is a plethora of Section 8 Housing, and the Walmart on Doral Drive is "shoplifting/purse snatching central".

37metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Well Austintown is on it's way to getting that way as well. Sorry but It would be crazy to think that there will not be problems when Youngstown kids go into Austintown schools. weather it's being bullied or fights it just will end up being a mess. I predicted correctly that the new AMS would end up costing us and there would be violence. both have happend. it put us in the red and it is the biggest reason they claim they need more money and if I recall we had kids taking knieves to school.

38rollerbeach(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I can only speak for Austintown Middle School because I have a step-son that is a student. The school is un-organized and in my dealing with the teachers, they do not have the skill level to deal with challenging students. I have often considered a transition to another school system that has more seasoned teachers that know how to better control a classroom. Open enrollment can bring more money into the school system, but I don't believe AMS is ready for the challenge of a more diversified student body.

39AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

metz87 - AMS is not the reason we are in the red. There was actually a 3 million surplus from the construction funds for that building. We are in the red because our BOE does not know how to say No to the administration and gave 1% raises out. Our BOE did not implement the cost cutting measure of cooking all food in AMS's new cafeteria and transporting it to the elementary schools. There are many other cost cutting measures that were brought up that they did not do. They like to say they cut 8 million, in reality all they did was not spend 8 more million - i.e., the raised the contribution rate for the teachers health care, that is not cost cutting, that is just not spending it. If our budget today is in the red, does cutting future expenses put it in the black? Nope, cutting current expenses does, but we still give out 1% retroactive raises to administration.

40metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Well it couldn't have helped thing much. As for not saying no well that will come back to bite them and is why no one will vote for for levy if they know what they are doing with our money. We were not in the red when i went to Fitch. it was after Heuer was superintendent and we elected new people to the BOE that things went sour.

41atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

After reading (and being thoroughly disgusted) the comments on here, I have to make my little comment. First, there are some Really ignorant people out there. Kinda makes me vomit in my mouth. Referring to Austintown as "ghetto", and the students in the "Y-town Black Hood", just goes to show how sick people really are. I'm a mom of 2 students that attend an elementary school at A-Town. Mind you, I'm not happy about the open enrollment due the the CROWDING, not because someone may want a better education than what YCSD offers. If I do feel my kids are pushed to the wayside, I will definitely transfer them elsewhere. But until then, they are staying put. There are also are guidelines on being accepted into A-Town Schools...If they are kids that are getting into trouble all the time, they will not be allowed. I believe I read in a letter from the school district that if they are suspended 3 times, they will not be permitted. That should definitely help. And to the people that don't want their property taxes going up to help on the schools, shame shame. It's a Public school, relying on Our money. If you want your child to get a good education in the public school system, you gotta pay the taxes. The cost of everything goes up. Plain and simple.
So, aside from me being horribly disgusted with the new principal at my kids' school, and thouroughly disgusted with the BOE, I have to be positive about this whole open enrollment thing. If we all are negative, it will BE negative.

42metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

but if no one says anything then nothing will change. as for taxes there has to be a balance between too much and no taxes. right now we are paying taxes that are way high and it sure doesn't look like it is going to improve the schools. People would have no issue if the money want to good us and not in their pockets for a raise.

43AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

There is always the issue of overcrowding because our lovely superintendent thinks the schools are not crowded as it is with the closing of Davis. If your kids go where I think they go, then you are not alone in your disgust for the new principal. What a mistake that was in hiring, they are more concerned with landscaping then anything productive in the schools. I miss our old principal terribly. The only issue with the discipline thing is that the lovely super in the YCS did not believe in the disciplining of students in the traditional ways so in essence, we could get a problem kid from there and never know because of her methods.

44mahoningvalley12(36 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

if you don't want your school district to have open enrollment then step up for your kids and pass your levy. I happen to live on the west side of youngstown and have no kids but I happen to be a product of the YCSD and realize that the most important part of your community are the schools. So time and time again I go to the polls and vote for the levy. If you don't want to vote for it, fine, no problem just don't go around running your mouth when your school district explores other options to bring in funds the district desperately needs.
All of you on here talking about how all these "gang bangers" are going to get into your school have no idea what your talking about because everyone who applies for open enrollment must first be excepted and I am willing to bet that any kids with a problem background will not be accepted. I got news for the folks of Austintown, your township is already an extension of Youngstown and most of the residents there these days are former Ytown residents.

45metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

I too wonder about weather this is 100% foil proof,that no one will slip through the cracks. landscaping may make a school look good but that is all it does,how does it help with education? It doesn't.

46mahoningvalley12(36 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

your right metz, there is not fool proof plan but the fact of the matter is that there are the same number of kids in Fitch as there were 10 years ago with 15 less faculty members according to the school...so something needed to be done in order to provide these kids with a good education and the many extracurricular activities that they enjoy.

Atown parents still have a variety of school districts to send their kids. Western Reserve is less than 15 minutes away, a district that has open enrollment and just passed a levy to build a new complex.

47chayse457(13 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Send them all to Woodrow Wilson, wait, they tore that down, can we still send them there???

48AtownParent(558 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

That's the thing though, mahoningvalley12, you hear during one meeting how there are 15 less teachers but the same number of kids. Then in the next one you hear how we have all this extra room because attendance numbers are lower now then they have ever been.

49metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

so which is true and which is false. coud they both be a liitle unture? you never get a cler answer fro mour BOE so you can only guess.

50shad998(4 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Austintown's BOE have methodically been destroying Austintown schools starting with the hiring of Hauer. This last step is one more nail in the coffin of a once,really great school district. This man cares nothing about Austintown or the Austintown School District. He would have been long gone if any other district would hire him. At least they have learned from Austintown's serious mistakes. I have never voted against a school levy until he was hired. I will never vote for another one as long as he is making decisions for the ASD.

51city_dweller(193 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Reading all of this over the past several days has made me more and more convinced that I do not want to move to Austintown.

It seems many of you want the best schools without paying into them; you want board members who always do what you want -- even if it's not what everyone else wants; you hate Youngstown and want it to fail for no other reason that to offer further justification for your hatred; your opinions about Youngstown residents, especially kids, are racist and prejudiced; you think you're so much better than Youngstown, even as drugs and sex run rampant through your high school; and you refuse to admit that the reason Youngstown has so many problems is not because of the race of most of the residents but because all of you left out of fear and racism.

I wouldn't send my Youngstown son to Austintown schools if the district paid me! The isolationist, fear-based, racist values of too many of residents are not what I want him to learn.

52mahoningvalley12(36 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

city that was a very intelligent and well thought out post but you have to be careful to view an entire community by a few peoples comments. I am not from Austintown but I have close ties and it is still a quality place to send your kids to school and raise a family.
there was a history teacher that got RIF'ed from the high school last year, who I believe had about 5 or 6 years experience in the district. Now history classes at Fitch have upwards of 30 kids per classroom, now that may not sound like a lot but if you take into account how hard it is to deal with 1 or 2 of your kids, try stuffing 30 into a classroom and expecting these teachers to not only control every little aspect but educate these kids as well, especially when you have multiple special needs kids in each of these rooms. I know people don't want more money to come out of their pocket, but the alternative will cost our kids quality of education.

53metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

There is an alternative. get someone in there who knows what they are doing and listsn to what people have to say .they don't do either so they all have to go.

54atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

You are right Atownparent, it is that school. And from what I understand from a VERY good source that works in the BOE building, the principal has had MANY complaints, and i had to make one myself. That whole landscaping thing was complete bull. Instead of using our PTA money for the kids, they should have gotten volunteers to do the landscaping. over $400 in labor is rediculous to take from our kids. Unfortunately it passed at the PTA meetings. Ugh. Oh, and the staff is not happy with New Principal, either. And I 100% agree with you....Mr Principal before this one was absolutely Fantastic! Everything was about the kids. New Principal could learn so much from Old Principal.
Anyway, I think the Majority of us that live in Austintown realize that the open enrollment would have been done whether or not levy passed. But I do feel that the levy was not pushed. We have to get the word out there better. There was supposed to be some door-to-door information going last October, and I know for a fact that that did not happen in many of the neighborhoods.
I don't really know what to do, and I feel my hands are tied. Besides standing up for our kids and all the other kids in the school district, what is it EXACTLY that us parents can do to see results?
Im frustrated. . .

55metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

What we need is info form both sides. those who support a levy and those who are against it then judge which way we fell bout it. I am not against all levies,just need real proof that more money is needed and since we still have the same people in there messing things up I will vote no again. so i guess i need two things then for me to change my mind,proof and a new BOE and superintendent.

56terrancesarco(41 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

the ytown BOE are cursing the Austintown' BOE and the Ohio leaders who sponsored and voted for open enrollment policy for Ohio's schools' district. ytown school district by 2010 will look like the modern day version of a one logcabin school in the middle of the Western Reserve Territory. Austintown residents should not fear for the quality of education for thier young future leaders because mayor "J" gone on record last week at the 7thWCC meeting that the ytown school is top notched in the education field for its students. Fear is to Fear itself especially when "J" speaks on ytown issues.

57atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Metz87.....I totally agree.

58metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Yeah,Now if only everyone knew what was going on. problem is we don't have all the facts.

59dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Who is going to vote yes on a levy with the BOE already passing open enrollment? I know I am voting NO! They should have waited to see what happen in the next election before deciding on OE!

60metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Well i guess they jsut could not wait. It will be a mess next school year I can tell you that.

61mahoningvalley12(36 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

they are hurting for new sources of money...what always baffled me was most jobs get raises yearly or at least a cost of living increase, I know I do, but our schools struggle to get increased funds when everything around them is becoming more expensive.

The System of funding schools in Ohio is BROKEN!!!

62metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

broken,it's a disaster! And the only thing they can do is to ask us for more and more money? Nonsense,what about marching to Columbus and telling them if you don't help us you can go to hell! Somone has to get the courage to tell them whats' up.

63atownmama(21 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

But one person just can't go to Columbus.... So what do we do? Rally people together?

64metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 2 months ago

Well that would force them to listen at least.

65bigarmes(6 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

You people all need to realize that the "bad" students aren't the ones looking for open enrollment...it's the students that are looking to get away from those students & situations. We have applied for open enrollment for our daughter who is in 3rd grade & has had straight A's since starting school. Maybe she will help your districts ratings with her perfect attendance & perfect grades. The "problem" children don't have parents that care enough to get up every day & drive their children to school...no, they send them right out to the bus stop or make them walk. Open your eyes people...

66dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

I completely agree with you bigarmes! They are not going to get the problem students. the parents don't vare and the student does not either! If a student who is there on OE is a problem or become one, they can kick them out!

67metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

that would mean alot of bad kids would be kicked out. they are doing this just for some extra money to waste,our taxpayer money remember that!!

68dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

metz87, you just do not get it, plain and simple!

69metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years ago

no it's you that does not get it! Everyone else knows whtt hey are doing you are just to stubbarn like a donkey to admit that you are wrong.

70dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years ago

Metz all I know is I am glad schools do have open enrollment! I am thankful cause I do not have to send my children to Austintown schools! Thank GOD! I am able to send my children to a smaller school that provides a better education! Before you knock it, give a try. Choose to put your children, if you have them, into a better school system! So believe me I REALLY do get it!

71metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years ago

thats' just it for some school open enrollemnt is not a good idea. it is not a one sized fits all so to speak. for Austintown it's just for money and it wil lleads to fights and what not so it's not a good idea.

72dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years ago

You see I agree with you it is a money thing! They are becoming very greedy! To be honest with you with them allowing OE i will not be voting yes on any school levies for the district. It will save us money in property taxes! As for fights and everything "bad" you think will happen, only parents who care about they their children will send them through OE. You will not be getting the thungs and low lifes. You watch the fights and problems that do happen will be between students that live in Austintown, and the new dress code they and their parents' have a problem with. You see children from Youngstown will not have a problem with the dress code considering the wear an actual uniform!

73metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years ago

True i would never vote yes as young as they have the same BOE and that slimball Heuer!