Many give a thumbs down to teen policy at Tinseltown

Published: Fri, February 27, 2009 @ 12:08 a.m.

By Jon Moffett

Nearly 100 young people were removed from the theater earlier this month for disruptive behavior.

BOARDMAN — Parents who wish to spend more time with their kids on the weekend may now get their chance.

The Cinemark Tinseltown theater at the Southern Park Mall complex, institutes a new policy today: Any child under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to view a movie after 6 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.

According to a news release issued by Cinemark USA Inc., the policy was put into place because of, “numerous customer requests for more supervision of exuberant, younger movie-goers, especially during the more crowded weekend evening time period.”

“I think it’s kind of ridiculous,” said Danamarie Donatelli, 21, of Canfield. “My sisters are under 17, but they’re really responsible.”

Donatelli said it was unfair to punish all children because of the actions of some.

“Some of these kids behave all week, they go to school, do their work and look forward to going to the movies on the weekend.”

Brooke Campana, 21, of Struthers, agreed. She said her 16-year-old brother doesn’t cause trouble but is still being punished.

“I think it’s a little extreme; I don’t agree with it,” she said. “It’s a little embarrassing for a 16-year-old who just got their license to have to show up at the movies with Mommy and Daddy.”

The policy was brought about by complaints of rowdy children at the cinema. An incident on Feb. 10 required police involvement. Two officers reported to the scene and found 80 to 100 children, who were removed for disruptive behavior, congregating outside the cinema.

A 13-year-old township girl was charged with assaulting officers, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct after police allege she kicked the two officers. Her 15-year-old sister was also charged with disorderly conduct after screaming at police.

Daniel Delisio, 16, of Boardman heard about the incident and the policy change. He said the change is somewhat unfair, but doesn’t really bother him because of the incident earlier this month and other fights at the cinema. He added the policy can complicate things for children who don’t act disorderly.

“If you’re going on a date or something, you’d have to take your mom,” he said.

Delisio’s older brother, Joe Lynd, 31, said he remembers going to the movies when he was a youth and feels the policy is a bit strict.

Others, however, remember being rowdy youths themselves.

Kitty Hacon, 48, of Austintown, said she is familiar with acting up while out with friends.

“I remember me at 16,” she said. “I was horrible.”

Though her only child, Ashley Timmermann, 22, is too old to be affected by the policy, Hacon said she wouldn’t feel inconvenienced by having to take a child to the movies on a weekend.

“I would never be inconvenienced by my child,” she said. Timmermann said the policy was unfair, but it is a good idea to monitor behavior inside and outside the cinema.

“I’ve been to a movie when kids have been talking or throwing things,” she said. “So I’ve had to say something to them. I’m pretty opinionated.”

jmoffett@vindy.com

Comments

1aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

That's a really bad move, in my opinion.

I understand that something needs to be done about the disruptive behavior, but don't they think this will do a number on their business?

2YTownPride(7 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Cinema South will be packed once again. Shame that no one realizes that a truly certified THX sound system sits in Theatre #1

3AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

They have tried to deal with the problem by removing the disruptive teens but the problem continues to occur. Now they have taken the next step to make sure it does not continue.
Unfortunately the good kids are going to suffer for the other idiots. Maybe they need to tell the other tells to "get a set" and behave and control your children.

4localobserver(13 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Part of the problem is that many so called ADULTS think that this rowdiness is normal kid behavior. Look at the 48 year old woman quoted. I'm not much older than she, but when I was a teenager, we were expected to behave as adults - and we did. Loud and obnoxious behavior wasn't tolerated anywhere then - nor should it be tolerated now. I applaud the new policy - it might even get me to go to the movies again - that is, if they ever make another movie worth watching.

5VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

We have not been to the movies in several years, since our last two experiences were terrible. Loud and disruptive teenage "kids" spoiled our viewing pleasure. And the teenage ushers did nothing about them.

People just sit and watch the movie, trying to ignore them. If these "kids" acted this way at home, they would be told to shut-up.

Why spend good money to watch a movie in such pain?

We just buy or rent the movie later, when it is released.

6cityguy(109 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Yep. Have to agree. I rarely go to the movies anymore because I can't stand the talking, the cussing, the constant blue glares from cell phones and texters and just the general lack of civility. But it's not just teenagers--the problem is no one speaks up anymore to confront the inappropriate behaviors. I'm afraid an enjoyable night at the movies is a thing of the past. That said, I'll go to Tinsletown to see how its working but I suspect the parents of the self-indulgent teens are not likely to be any better.

7George412(161 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I think that the policy is over-reaching, but I agree that talking and texting during movies is a big problem. However, many of the people I see texting are not kids, but adults. No matter how hard we try, we can't policy our way to good manner and basic courtesy.

8MzVirgoLuv(157 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, you can. I have three teens and I would kill them if I ever found out that they reacted in that manner. I have to agree with the policy because there are so many instances where you try to go out and have adult time and because of unsupervised wild behavior, I was not able to enjoy myself. Implementing strict policies on anything will make people rethink their own personal policies; like perhaps, teaching their kids to behave in public places and have respect for people. And, hey, my oldest is 19 so I don't have to go the movies with them, he can take them. So sorry for all you who used the movies as a babysitting tool. Time to babysit your own kids now.

9antonunj(8 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

anyone who has ever been to Movies 8, who has a similar policy, knows that the kids congregating in groups of this size causes serious problems and potential threats of safety to other. Keeping the "riff-raff" out is important to the safety of others...look at what happened at the St. Charles festival 2 years ago.

10Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

The responsible ones are always punished for the behavior of the irresponsible ones. It's always been that way, with pretty much everything. If people would parent their children properly in the first place, they wouldnt have these issues.

11aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Virgo, although it seems like you are a good parent and a disciplinary figure for your children, you also managed to make yourself look like a hypocrite.

"Any child under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to view a movie after 6 p.m."

With that said, unless your oldest child is your younger children's legal guardian, it's you who has to go with them. So, while other parents are using the movies as a babysitting tool, you're basically saying that you would use your oldest child as one.

12boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Puhleaase....why get angry over the type of customers this theater wants on the weekends? If you dont like it don't go. for the price of a years worth of movies, popcorn and pop at one of these places you can build your own theater in your home. Any business that wants to reserve the right to reject customers for any reason is fine with me. Any respectable kid who doesn't like it can find some other activity and shouldn't be so put off.

13scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

If that many kids are congregating then there is a definate problem that needed to be addressed. I see no problem with the policy, and if that means Mommy has to go on a date...well so be it.
Everbody who is b!tchin about the change are most likely the ones who do use the movies as a babysitter.

How's this alternative?
What if the theater hires a couple off duty police as security who can just charge the roudy kids with disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, etc. and let mommy and daddy pay those fines? The kids will either stop going or the parents may actually teach their kids how to act in public.

14scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Boardman can use the additional tax revenue from the fines anyway!

15George412(161 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

My kids are too young, (5 and 9) to be affected, but I hate to see good teenagers punished for the actions of a few. Movies as a babysitter? For teenagers? We all went to movies with our friends when we were teenagers, and if we caused problems, we were sent out or the police were called. Deal with the individuals causing the problems.

16Tugboat(759 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

AMAZING HOW MANY FOLKS WEIGH IN ON AN ISSUE LIKE THIS BUT WILL NOT ON SOMETHING THAT REALLY MATTERS.

17allstar720(247 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Who goes to the movies anymore?

18Ken(153 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps Jon Moffet should have asked more people especially after viewing the Vindicator poll question today. 84% favor the ruling!!!
I went to the same movie house a couple of years ago with my wife and the talking during the movie and especially the language was terrible. I thought I was back in the Army! We asked management to quiet a group down but were told there was nothing they could do. We did get through the movie but have not returned yet. Perhaps, if we hear it is a little mnore under control, we will return,

19terrancesarco(41 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

if teenagers would police themselves they would not be in this predictment at the theater. if a teenager(s) are acting up other teenagers should take matters into their own hands because management is afraid of a response to unruly teenager's behavior due the useless parents out there might sue them on many waterless accusations of sexual, race, religion and other ridiculous charges against tinsletown corp.

20DragonFly664(198 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

It's sad that parents use the movies, festivels, the mall etc as their babysitter. I guess they dont worry OR care that for 1 its not safe out there anymore and 2 they do not teach them the proper behavior in public.

21TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

This confuses me. You go to a Concert and some 330-pound overweight moose wearing a yellow security t-shirt stands up front with his arms crossed, and everyone behaves. Then the theatre's hire 150-pounder's that carry a flashlight. OMG....address the problem, hire two (off-duty) Boardman Policemen.......you're charging $6.00 for ten cents of pop corn and $4.00 for twelve cents of soda.

22ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

We live in a city that truly has nothing for kids to do, now because of the same ill-mannered kids who ruin everything good kids can't even see a movie on the weekend. I agree something needed to be done, 80-100 kids congregating and causing problems is no small group to contain. Parents need to start being responsible for their own kids. Proper up bringing is priorty, these kids are going to be adults in the near future, our jails are already too full.
Next step, they need supervised at the malls too!!

23metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Well you normlayy can teel the good kids form the bad kids. Why not have a ploice record on file so that you would know that then you could teel them to leave is thery ar on thier own. heck movie threaters pretty much are going out of busniess anyways. $2.50 for pickle?!? $5.00 for a SMAll popcorn!?! With those prices it is cheaper to jsut go to Wal mAMrt and buy the moive if it is really that good.

24mahoningvalley12(36 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

they will overturn this policy because it will end up costing them too much money

25Eastsider7(9 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

they shouldn't stop there! I have paid full-price for evening weekend first-run movies just to have the entire "movie going experience" ruined because some lame lady had to park herself and her talkative friend right in front of us. People listen! The public theater is NOT your living room. Repeat. Its NOT your living room. Talking to one another about what happend, what might happen next and who said whatever is not anthting close to why we go out to enjoy a good film. I do not pay good money to hear your own play by play commentary to your friend and whoever is on your cell phone. Folks today just do not get it. They are rude to bring phones without turning them off. They are rude to think they can talk loud enough to one another so everyone around them has to be distracted. No wonder we have problems with these teens doing it, too. Teach those kids to have a little respect for other paying customers or keep 'em out.

26metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

It's not jsut teens,some adults do the same thing as well.

27metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

and the food is a bargin as well.