Ryan expected to face challenger in primary

Published: Sun, December 27, 2009 @ 12:08 a.m.

By David Skolnick

The filing deadline for primary candidates is Feb. 18. Independents have until May 3.

YOUNGSTOWN — In the three races after capturing the 17th Congressional District seat in 2002, U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan hasn’t had a contested Democratic primary and faced only token Republican opposition in the general election.

But that all changes next year.

For the first time as an incumbent, Ryan, of Niles, is expected to face a challenge in the Democratic primary in May. Also, there are two Republicans planning to run for that party’s nomination with the winner facing Ryan in the November 2010 general election.

The filing deadline for primary candidates is Feb. 18. Those running as independents have until May 3, the day before the primary, to file.

Of course, there’s the possibility that ex-U.S. Rep. James A. Traficant Jr., who’s considering a run next year for Congress, also could challenge Ryan, who used to be a Traficant staff member. Traficant is considering running as a Democrat in the 17th, 6th or 16th District.

Does this mean Ryan — who considered running for the U.S. Senate and lieutenant governor earlier this year before deciding to seek another two-year term in the U.S. House — will have a fight on his hands in 2010 to get re-elected?

“The number of challengers isn’t necessarily a sign of weakness” for Ryan, said William Binning, chairman of the Youngstown State University political science department. “There’s a weakening of the Democratic Party at the national level. But he’s in no danger of losing.”

The heavily Democratic 17th District includes portions of Mahoning, Trumbull, Portage and Summit counties. About two-thirds of the district’s voters are in Mahoning and Trumbull.

“It’s impossible for a Republican to win that district,” Binning said. “Miracles happen, but I don’t see that happening here.”

Mahoning County Republican Party Vice Chairman Mark Munroe said: “There’s no doubt that any Republican running in the 17th District has a real challenge on his hands. Based on [voter] registration figures, it’s a tough, tough district to run in. But given the right political environment and the right candidates and issues, a Republican can win.”

Ryan doesn’t seem too concerned by his opponents.

“People have the right to run, and I welcome the opportunity to put my accomplishments and record up against any and all opponents,” Ryan said in a prepared statement. “Like in the past, we will run an aggressive, grass-roots campaign, and I have the utmost confidence that the people of the 17th District will re-elect me.”

Dan Moadus, a former eight-year Girard City Council member, will challenge Ryan in next year’s Democratic primary.

Though Moadus won four races for council’s 4th Ward seat, his election record in his hometown is less than stellar. Moadus has lost 11 other Girard elections, including at-large council last year and mayor two years ago.

“Tim’s a nice guy, but he’s so far out of touch” with the electorate, Moadus said. “Tim Ryan is tied into the radical leadership of the [Democratic] party.”

Moadus pointed to Ryan’s votes to support the cap-and-trade bill that addresses climate-change issues, and a national health-care bill, which he says will hurt those in the 17th District.

Moadus said it would take $50,000 to beat Ryan in next year’s primary.

Binning said a legitimate challenger would need $1 million to beat Ryan.

Ryan typically raises about $1 million each election cycle. As of Sept. 30, the most recent filing deadline, Ryan’s congressional campaign fund had $286,407 in cash on hand.

Diane T. diCarlo Murphy of Youngstown, a schoolteacher who lost a congressional race in 2004 to Ted Strickland in the 6th District, told The Vindicator a few months ago that she would be running in the Democratic primary next year against Ryan. She couldn’t be reached to confirm whether she’s still interested.

On the Republican side, Dr. M.E. “Bing” Henderson of Tallmadge filed the necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to be a candidate for this congressional seat.

Also, Bill Johnson of Poland, a businessman and retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, has established an exploratory committee for a potential run as a Republican.

He’ll decide by next month, but said: “If the positive response continues, I’ll be running. It’s very, very likely I will run.”

Johnson said Ryan has supported bills — specifically cap-and-trade and the economic stimulus package — that make him “vulnerable.”

But “people are fed up with politics as usual. Regardless of party, incumbents are at risk,” Johnson said.

Johnson and Henderson have never run for political office.

Henderson, an occupational medicine and family physician, said he’s become “increasingly frustrated” with Ryan and other Democrats in Congress over the past year. He said that’s based on votes that “gradually erode personal freedoms with health care, a new movement to increase eminent domain, pro-life losing more ground and free enterprise.”

skolnick@vindy.com

Comments

1Lifesnadir(164 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Tim Ryan lost my vote after his staff member, first name coincidentally named Ryan, said a letter that I wrote to Rep Ryan would get put in the trash -- without acknowledgement, without response, without a bat of an eyelash. This was a letter his staff asked me to write.

Tim Ryan practices what he tells his staff to do -- ignore voters, ignore their concerns, and use the wastebasket rather than take up their time with a response. Maybe if I had big bucks and a well-known name -- or if I'd been shot and was all over the news--, my Rep would bend over backwards to answer me.

Moral: One missed interaction with a voter can change the impression you'd like to present. But tell someone a letter that he or she slaved over (because the person has difficulty writing) will go in the wastebasket, shame on you and your staff. One act like that results in voters turning their backs on YOU, Mr. Ryan! I hope you lose.

2jobecail(3 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ryan and all others like him that vote for bills without reading them deserve to be voted out!!!
I voted to put him in office to watch out for the people that he serves and that is not Pelosi or the Democratic Machine.

3MD1533(25 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

We are voting Ryan out of office! He refuses to listen to the People of The Mahoning Valley! We put him there and we can vote him out of there as well! We're voting against every incumbent that supported the above bills starting with Ryan! Period!

4madasheck(64 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I also sent a letter to Mr. Ryan questioning his signing of the bill before reading it. I was totally surprised to recieve his reply "thanking me for my support"....? Well at least he got my return address before it went in the trash.....
This rubber stamp needs to go

5CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

FYI..my husband and I both have sent letters to Tim Ryan and have always received a written response. We were pleasantly surprised each time.

6UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Wer don't need a liberal DEMOcrook Cap and Trader who will cost us many more jobs like Ryan in Congress. We don't need a recycled felon who is trying to line his pockets with Indian Casino cash in Jimbo either in Congress. It's time for a change in valley politics. We can only hope that someone rises up to challenge them both - hopefully an economic conservative.

7sue(172 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ryan has tied himself to Nancy Pelosi. She is a west cost liberal. Her values, and now apparently Ryan's, are at at polar opposite to the values of the Mahoning Valley. Can you imagine Traficant backing CAP and Tax like Ryan? He in no danger of losing his district, but he has no hope of ever winning a U.S. senate seat.

8candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Gumby would have been a better Congressman than Tim.

9Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

The current US government, bankrupt both financially and ethically, requires regime change for it's very survival.

If you support higher taxes, anti-jobs legislation, higher health care premiums and wild government spending than Ryan is your man.

If you wish instead for the USA to again thrive (or at least have a chance to survive), than work hard, and I mean hard for freaks like Ryan to lose their abilty to further destroy America.

10Search4Answers(726 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

The people of this area need to find one strong candidate we can all agree on and dethrone Ryan. Preferably an independent that can get both republican money and moderate democrat support.

I believe the Mahoning Valley can do it. Just need ONE strong challenger that both democrats and republicans can get behind. Just because the MV is blue doesn't mean we have to be a rubber stamp district for Pelosi.

11TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

A six-figure salaried "Career Politician". This guy woudn't be earning over $40K/year in the private sector. But then again, this area has a knack for electing bufoon after bufoon after...

12borylie(791 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

It's amazing that 15 posts and all for getting rid of Ryan. Problem is that alot of people get their info from the Vindicator and not from us posters. The Vindy as I predicted a couple of months ago will step up the photo opps, proposed money and jobs coming to the valley via Ryan. Unless they start pointing out all that Ryan hasn't done the masses of the valley will continue to think he's doing his best to represent the district. He was even in a picture with the Eddy family getting a Motor Trend award. What's he doing, changing oil on the side?

13Tigerlily(492 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

boyrylie, Why should anyone listen to posters with names like TheLostpatrol and Lifesnadir than someone who actually does research and has facts to present to a readership, UNDER THEIR OWN NAME? I say this under a pseudonym myself, and while being a person who does read these insane comment threads in the Vindy (why, oh why do I torture myself by doing so?) I can tell those of you who claim people listen to a reporter before a poster, there is a reason for that. I don't take what a reporter says as the truth and nothing but, they are simply reporting what others tell them. But I sure as heck am not going to listen to someone who doesn't have the confidence to present their ideas and opinions under their own name either. And that comes from a reader of comments. If you really want people to listen to you and not discount what you have to say, find or create a platform for yourself to stand on, and then be ready for others to criticize what YOU think and do, too. You may be surprised that when the shoe is on the other foot, you'd be criticized just as much as any of these people in political offices. It's what happens, period. That's political life. You're either a supporter of someone or you're not. Lots of people think differently than you about Ryan. My vote is still up for grabs. If someone comes along with real substance, I'll vote for them. But none of these yokels that have thrown their hats in the ring so far have any interest for me yet either. And regardless of what you think, Ryan has demonstrated ability to bring money to the valley. Yes, why don't we wipe the slate clean and set the clock back to zero, lose all of our connections in the Democratic government that's in power? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

14candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Mahoning County student loan delinquency rate 90 plus day 13.56%

15borylie(791 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Tiger, first of all it's what the reporters don't tell you. If they report it then you have half a leg up on knowing whether or not the story is true or not. If not reported then it doesn't exist. Secondly, once I wrote a letter to the Vindy and some were obviously upset with my opinions. My late dad's name is the same as mine and going thru the phone book got his and my mom's address and number. Many obscene calls followed and their car was keyed. This is what real cowards do . So thanks for the lecture. And in my opinion your vote is not up for grabs, your a follower because you know no better.

16Tigerlily(492 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

boyriley, yes, of course, i know no better. you have decided, thus it is true.

you're a casebook crazy.

17Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Tigerlily,

Help me out here.

Ryan has been a Democratic-Socialist yes-man who voted us all the biggest tax increase in the history of the USA when he voted for Cap and Trade. The legislation will increase also the cost of goods we all purchase and increase unemployment (see link below). Are you cool with that?

In fiscal 2009 the federal government spent $3.52 trillion. Ryan voted for these spending bills. To accomodate their spending spree, Ryan and the Democratsic-Socialists just voted to raise the debt ceiling a few weeks ago. Their spending dwarfs anything done before in the history of the USA. Are you a supporter of Ryan's fiscal policies?

Ryan voted for health "care" legislation that will further explode the debt, ration care, raise everyone's premiums, and give your decision-making power over your own body to a Federal Health Board. Are you down with that?

He lied on the floor of Congress accusing President Bush of starting a draft....and so much more...

But you can overlook all that because he fetched a few crumbs from D.C.?

18borylie(791 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Tiger, no facts, no arguments call names, typical lib/democrat. Yes I agree, I'm casebook crazy. The medical name for it is called Common Sense Syndrone. Don't worry, you won't catch it.

19themightyquinn(6 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I've had enough of posers like Tim Ryan ignoring the electorate and can't wait to cast a vote against him. He's a shining example of a tone deaf politician who doesn't recognize that the winds of change are blowing. I'm to the point where I will vote AGAINST Ryan rather than FOR anybody else. It's a sad commentary on politics in the Mahoning Valley, but it is what it is.

20Askmeificare(700 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I bet an Independent has the best chance if they come out of the gate as a middle of the road candidate who voted Democrat all their lives.

What say you?

21RFederer(116 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Ryan will be reelected in a landslide. The fruitcakes that post here seem to think that the majority are on their side. Very few Dems will lose their seats and Ryan isn't even close to being one. The memory of Bush and the Republicans controlling congress is still way too fresh.

22steelerman09(111 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

RFederer is correct. If Jesus Christ himself ran as a Republican in NE Ohio, he would lose to a lesser Democrat. I am a moderate conservative/moderate liberal, meaning I vote for what I believe in...not what the rest of the people believe in. Mahoning and Trumbull county will never have anything BUT Dems in their offices, so I am one who wastes his vote every time I enter the voting booth! It is sad. What have these Dems done for you lately? Unemployment down? Economy thriving? Have any campaign promises been fullfilled?

23callmecrazeyok(17 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Truth is if Ryan doesn't vote the way the democrats want him to vote his political career will be killed...he needs the money to win a senate seat which I really dont think he can win...So he votes for the spending bills, he's strictly party guy...he honestly in his head thinks hes doing good for the valley, but a hundred or so 8-9 dollar an hour jobs coming to the valley shouldnt be the highlight of his resume...The area needs more of a voice and it shouldnt come from Ryan or Traficant...It needs someone that doesnt care about their political futures , but rather the area..

24Time2Take(13 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Ryan is a photo opportunity joke. Why are the democrats of this community putting up with him? Where is the person who wants to run for our country first, our state first, our community first? I am sick of America first, made in America slogans. We live and breathe the U.S.A. It was not the America's that has saved and helped the rest of the unappreciated world. It is time we vote all these house and senate clowns out of office. Wait till you see when all the bills they passed start hitting our wallets This guy is just a puppet of the D.C. czars. Ryan needs to finally get an adult job with adult pay, adult withholdings for hospitalization, eye care, dental, social security............................ A third party is coming to a location near you!

25harleydog(215 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

He is dating Pelosi's daughter. No wonder he does whatever she tells him to do. The man has no stones of his own. Get rid of him in 2010 along with Wilson. He is another prize of the valley.

26pit_bull_marley(291 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

He will get relected because most of the families in these districts were born and raised Dems and they just punch the Dem ticket. They dont really look into anything. If you are reading this post on this sight right now, then you are the minority.

DEMS win here and we cont as a community to remain stagnent.

27JD010101(137 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Ryan is another Pelosi meat puppet. Start fresh vote him out. Dont need any more party line voters. Get some one with a spine some guts and courage to do the right thing.

28boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

If anyone wants to know why Ryan is sweating right now, it's because Jimbo has the dirt on him that he doesn't want to come out. Ryan is done as this area's Pelosi puppet. Add to that equation the amount of people that don't like Mr Traficant around here, I'd be willing to bet that its back to the republicans we go for a while.

29boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

And if Jimbo does win, how will it look on Pelosi when Ryan gets beat by a man who spent seven years in prison?

30steelerman09(111 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I know Tim Ryan personally and he has some serious "Mark Dann" type dirt out on him and if any of it gets out, it is over...Oh wait...We live in NE Ohio. He will still get re-elected, no matter what. The days of conservatives getting elected in Mahoning County are over....and will be over for years to come.

31AXLE69(181 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Ok usa1-pro-conservaterican,you calling anyone an idiot after the drivel that you post on here is hilarious.If it was legal,there is no doubt I could bundle all the posts you`ve ever written and have them published.Hmm lets see ,what title could I use?"Arguing with Idiots" is already taken.I suppose "Meditating with Morons" sounds too liberal for a hypocritical conservative like yourself.Maybe something more like your girl Palins book.I think I have it."Going Teabagging" Yes,that is perfect,lol

32borylie(791 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

steelerman, Wait till the Vindy reads your post and starts a journalistic investigation into Tim. Then we can get him out of office. HaHaHa x 1000.

33boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Borylie, unfortunately that wont happen due to Bertram's man crush on Jimbo. plus it doesn't help the Vindy's agenda. They only write positively about people who assist them with advertising, kickbacks, etc., It's not a real newspaper with real journalists.

34aspin444(24 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

As an employee of Forum Health I must say too that Ryan is a joke. He deserves to be run out of town.

35SkyKing310B(253 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

WE NEED TO WORK TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. THEY WORK FOR US - NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND !

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

Congressional Reform Act of 2010

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six year Senate terms
B. Six Two year House terms
C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress looses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/11 .

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

36Lifesnadir(164 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Tigerlily wrote: Why should anyone listen to posters with names like TheLostpatrol and Lifesnadir than someone who actually does research and has facts to present to a readership, UNDER THEIR OWN NAME? I say this under a pseudonym myself, and while being a person who does read these insane comment threads in the Vindy (why, oh why do I torture myself by doing so?)
===========

Well, hon, Vindy allows us to have a user name to protect our privacy. If it required our names, I'd write under my own name to post. Why attack others with "Why should anyone listen to posters with names like TheLostpatrol and Lifesnadir ...." I could say the same about you-- why read or consider what someone with a user ID like TigerLilly has to say?? Shoe on the other foot, indeed!

Second, my "facts" came from first hand interaction with Ryan's office, which I described. The readers can decide how to view a politician who'd drop a letter into the trash rather than respond to the person's concern. Our Reps and Senators are supposed to listen, to help if they can, and to---most importantly-- take our concerns seriously. They aren't in office to pass mail directly from the mail carrier to the trash, are they? The LEAST he could do is respond with, "Thank you for writing about your concern and I will work hard to represent as best I can the voters I represent."

But, in arrogance, he didn't even do that much. And remember, this was a letter that his Staff asked to have written, for me to detail "the problem" and send it to his office and I was given a name to put on it, ATT. to .... So they request a letter..... only to TELL me they were putting it in the wastebasket with NO reply. Hmmmmm.....

This isn't someone who should hold the office.