facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Some Valley bars serve up bout despite blackout order



Published: Sun, December 20, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

By Don Shilling

The bars showing the fight were crowded Saturday night.

Some area bars were receiving the pay-per-view feed for the Kelly Pavlik bout Saturday even though the fight promoter and closed- circuit operator said they would not.

Youngstown Sports Grille in Boardman as well as Buffalo Wild Wings locations in Boardman and Youngstown were showing a preliminary fight that aired before Pavlik’s bout with Miguel Espino at Youngstown State University’s Beeghly Center.

Frank Cavelli, general manager of the Buffalo Wild Wings in Boardman, said he hoped the feed would still work when the champ stepped into the ring.

The company’s regional manager told him that G&G Closed Circuit Events of California was allowing local bars to show the fight if they had paid for it before Saturday.

With that information, he was charging a $5 cover fee, as was his Youngstown counterpart and Youngstown Sports Grille.

Also showing the preliminary bouts was the 13th Round in Struthers, which is owned by Pavlik, and O’Donold’s Irish Pub & Grill in Austintown.

Some local bar operators told The Vindicator earlier that a blackout would be unfair because they had spent money to advertise that they would have the fight.

Bars that were showing the fight were crowded.

Mike Benner of New Castle, Pa., was among a good crowd at Youngstown Sports Grille some two hours before the Pavlik main event, and he said he was delighted the sports bar was showing the fight.

“I think everybody should see this fight,” Benner said. “I think everyone in Northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania should stand behind their champion.”

It appeared that would not be the case Friday.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum first said Friday that local bars would be unable to show the pay-per-view feed because the fight was not a sellout, and other Top Rank officials repeated that news Saturday night. Officials from G&G Closed Circuit Events also confirmed that a blackout would be in place.

shilling@vindy.com


Comments

1callmecrazeyok(17 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

the right thing happened...Going to court would cost both Top rank and the bar operators more in the long run that what it was worth to just let them show it...Beeghly filled up halfway and the bars made their money...it ended up ok..

Suggest removal:

2louisbeaver(23 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

It ended up ok for bars that had a dish provider like Directv or Dish network, but much worse for those bars who had cable providers who actually did their job and blacked out the fight. Actually probably a much worse thing happened because the bars that did get blacked out lost even more money since it wasn't a level playing field and the bars that did show it made money but should and more than likely will get fined tens of thousands of dollars. Word on the street is that many of them showed the fight illegally not only because it was blacked out but heard some actually brought in boxes from home that they paid $40 on for the fight. I hope the Vindy finds out all the good dirt on these bars who went the illegal route just to make an extra dime!

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport