Lost deer beaten to death with a board

Published: Tue, December 15, 2009 @ 12:05 a.m.

By D.a. Wilkinson

SEBRING — A deer was beaten to death in daylight with a board after it wandered into the city.

“Things got out of control,” said Jamey Graham, a wildlife communications specialist for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources based in Akron.

The killing occurred shortly before noon Dec. 2 in the 100 block of West Ohio Avenue.

The deer had gone into a three-sided box created by a building and two extending walls.

Left alone, the deer probably would have ventured off, Graham said.

But instead of leaving the deer be, an undetermined number of people began to gather.

Graham said that deer, when they fear they are trapped, become hyperactive. “They almost have a heart attack,” she said.

Elva Summers of Sebring was working at The Concern, a nearby thrift shop that helps the needy, including with food.

Summers said she comes from a family of hunters and said she had no problem with people who kill quickly and cleanly.

But as she was leaving the area, Summers said she saw people with a board heading for the deer.

“We don’t like to see this happen.” Graham said. “It should have been handled differently is the long and the short of it.”

Because the deer was inside the city limits, a gun could not be used to shoot it.

Graham said that people were interviewed at the scene, but “no names were collected.”

Tom Frank, the Mahoning County Wildlife Officer for ODNR, released the carcass to someone. Graham said that information was not immediately available.

Frank could not be reached.

Sebring Police Chief Ray Heverly did not return a call.

wilkinson@vindy.com

Related Story: Lost deer beaten to death with a board

Comments

1timOthy(802 comments)posted 5 years ago

Was there some reason they wanted to kill this deer? In Cleveland a Deer was laying in a Lady's Flower Bed and got the shovel ! In Sebring, Ohio they get the board. Where is these people common sense ? The deer was lost and would have return to the wild if given the time to do so. I bet the people that killed the deer didn't even own the property !

2Reader(126 comments)posted 5 years ago

What a bunch of salvages! The pack-like mentality took over these beasts and they took the life of a poor animal for the thrill of the kill. Why not wait for an animal warden (other than Gram, a communications specialist) to come and give it a stun shot and then transport it to a safe place to be released back to mother nature? Serial killers start off by being cruel to animals. This is just a sad story. Are there any charges or punishement pending?

3cmhs84(6 comments)posted 5 years ago

This makes no sense..." 'The deer, Graham said, “was put down as humanely as possible considering the circumstances.' " Why did it have to be put down at all? What threat did it pose to anyone? It would have found its way out eventually if left alone. Being beaten to death with a board is NOT humane and it was unnecessary. Good Lord! What is wrong with people?

4peacelover(791 comments)posted 5 years ago

How would these people (and I use the term loosely) like it if they got lost somewhere and an unruly mob cornered them and beat them to death with a board? This story sickens and disgusts me.

5leeallyrex(8 comments)posted 5 years ago

Complete and utter ignorance from these a-holes who thought maybe the deer was going to attack them. IDIOTS!!!

6theword(342 comments)posted 5 years ago

Why didn't these people get charged with animal cruelity? and if the deer was hurt why wasn't the police department called to put the deer down?

7ohkatie02(1 comment)posted 5 years ago

I would like to know what part about ganging up on a cornered, innocent and terrified animal and beating it to death with a board is considered "humane". These people are absolutely disgusting.

8MaryG(27 comments)posted 5 years ago

Of course a deer is a wild animal and should be respected as that.
To aeparish, I'm sorry your car was cornered and beaten to death with a board by a group of deer. You have a right to be angry. Vicious animals!

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years ago

There are plenty of deer visiting Youngstown every night and no attacks against them have been reported . Perhaps the deer should have visited at night ? Has anyone studied what the crime rate is in Sebring ?

10aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years ago

I never said the deer deserved the beating. Quite honestly, I think that's barbaric and unnecessary. In fact, almost as unnecessary as the sarcasm in your comment. My fiance was driving my car and had the deer hit him at a slightly different angle, he could have been killed.

Not so funny now, is it?

11badtas40(3 comments)posted 5 years ago

Let me start by saying I come from a long family history of hunters.I think the way this deer died the people who killed it should be treated. Lets take a board to someone who is lost down an unknown alley. They should have let it be so it would walk away, and if the deer was hurt call the local police department and let them put it down. I can not believe that you, Mr. Graham stated that the deer, “was put down as humanely as possible considering the circumstances.”! That was pure animal cruelty. You make hunter fallow the rules and regulations of hunting and if they don't fallow them you punish them. I think what has happened here was a form of poaching. So lets punish those who were involved. I can't see how these people sleep at night. Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

12Woody(452 comments)posted 5 years ago

Who ever got the deer is lucky. With all the board hits, that meat has got to be mighty tender.

13Ginger76(178 comments)posted 5 years ago

no names were collected.....
Frank could not be reached............

Sebring Police Chief Ray Heverly did not return a call.............

14Ginger76(178 comments)posted 5 years ago

You are indignant to those who have different view points.

Compassion por favor.

15cambridge(3097 comments)posted 5 years ago

The world according to USEless1.

Against the killing of this deer = Pro partial birth abortion.

Universal health care = Death panels for grandma.

Social Security = Socialism. Even though he cashes his check every month.

Belong to a union = Mafia thugs. Even though he was a life long union member benefiting from the sacrifices of the generations that came before him.

Americans = Anyone with a white/European heritage. All others need not apply.

Heaven worthy = His religious beliefs. All others need not apply.

Patriotic Americans = Teabaggers.

I know I'm not suppose to laugh at and find humor in the mentally unstable and socially handicapped but I just can't help it. At least the freak show in his head is entertainment for the rest of us.

16ojanet22(134 comments)posted 5 years ago

What?!!??

17Ginger76(178 comments)posted 5 years ago

Cambridge is hilarious.

18BreC20119(2 comments)posted 5 years ago

I feel that this is incredibly wrong. How hard would have it been for these crazy people to call the police? its not hard, the animal could have at least been escorted out of city limits. This is a disgrace to human kind! I feel disgusted that people are so disturbed enough to do such things! This is unethical! This is just a starting point for these people, If you can do this you can do almost any inhumane thing humanly imaginable! Heartless... that's all I have to describe these people. I think that these people can be caught and thrown in jail! Someone knows who they are! man up and say something! its not hard! Those who know and don't confess are just as low as they are! I feel these people could be found if someone would get up and do some investigating! My father is a hunter, but, he would NEVER do such a thing. I wonder if it ever crosses their minds, what they had done. They took an innocent animals life for the enjoyment of one another. How can one enjoy such things? USA1 who ever you may be. you are disturbed to think that this is nothing. As I said they can do this to any thing, person, and animal which is evident in this situation! My personal food choice is to be Vegetarian and It does not bother me that people eat meat, it does not bother me that my father hunts, it bothers me when justice for a helpless animal is ignored. Those of you ignorant enough to write remarks that are rude and sarcastic, you have no feeling! I mean why would you write that when it is completely unnecessary! And it bothers me even more that this animal was not killed for good reasoning! clearly it was left there to die, not for ones dinner! The enjoyment one might get from this is seriously insane and needs to check into Belmont Pines....asap! take that into consideration... your child is in an alley all alone, 10 teens come up to your child and beat them for no apparent reason other than for a laugh, this is how the Incident in January 29, 1979, In Cleveland Elementary in San Carlos San Diego. "6-year-old Brenda Spencer opened fire on children arriving," "When asked by a reporter as to why she was compelled to shoot innocent people she stated ' I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day.' " This can happen to anyone, anywhere at anytime, its a sick twisted world we live in.... take that into your thoughts!

Quote from http://www.inthe80s.com/whatya.shtml

19BreC20119(2 comments)posted 5 years ago

* 16 yr old

20Elaina(1 comment)posted 5 years ago

The IDIOTS that would do something like that to a poor innocent, harmless deer are a waste of human life!! Those are the kind of people that you will hear about murdering another person someday. They have no respect for life. I wouldn't want to meet them on a back street, they would do the same thing to a human. Or I should say they wouldn't want to meet me on a street someday, they would suffer the same fate as that poor innocent deer. We need STRONGER laws in effect for the safety of animals that's what we need badly!!

21Ginger76(178 comments)posted 5 years ago

some people on this board believe that deer are vicious and deserve to be tortured....but in fact, are the tortured ones themselves.

22jackies1956(5 comments)posted 5 years ago

Someone at this location witnessed the murder of th animal! But did or said nothing. Hope you have flashbacks of what you witness. PETA is going to have a field day in Sebring, Ohio.

The Concern Incorporated
(330) 938-9737
125 W Ohio Ave, Sebring, OH 44672

23pak1116(19 comments)posted 5 years ago

Why were these people allowed to do this when the elderly woman from a Cleveland suburb was charged with animal cruelty for hitting a deer with a shovel that was in her own yard? The people from the department of natural resources said the deer would have wandered away on its own - they know this was happening and they are doing nothing about it?

24jackies1956(5 comments)posted 5 years ago

I believe this backwoods killing in Sebring, Ohio is in the process of being exposed to the major news, CNN, HLN, FOX News, and I was told PETA is going to investigate this as well. I sure hope whoever is responsible for this is punished. People who torture animals, usually then move on to prey on young children, and adults. Does Sebring really want this kind of attention.

25Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 5 years ago

"The deer, Graham said, “was put down as humanely as possible considering the circumstances.”

This has to be the stupidest remark I've seen in awhile. As humanely as possible. How could beating and killing this deer with a board be humane? Blows my mind how these backwards people think including the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and Sebring Police and citizens. Unreal.

26jackies1956(5 comments)posted 5 years ago

OMG, USA1, MUST BE ONE OF THOSE SEBRING SWAMPHICKS. LOL****!

27jackies1956(5 comments)posted 5 years ago

WOW, WITH A MENTALITY LIKE THAT, BET YA FUR SHUR INBREED IN THAT FAMILY, MA, PA, SIS, BROTHER, THE WHOLE FREAKIN FAMILY. REALLY LOL!

28jackies1956(5 comments)posted 5 years ago

OH YEA, USA1, I AM PRO CHOICE AND AM PROUD OF IT! THERE ARE MORE OF US THAN YOU THINK. SORRY YOU ARE OUTNUMBERED, LOL! YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABORTED, THEN WE COULD HAVE REALLY CELEBRATED. REALLY LAUGHING NOW! OK ENOUGH TIME WASTED ON RIGHT WING CONSERVATIVES, BETTER THINGS TO DO NOW!

29Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 5 years ago

usa,usa.... Deer meat is gross, but anyway, yea they were real tough beating a trapped deer with a board. If your going to kill a deer, at least give it a chance....bunch of lowlife trailer trash......

30Ginger76(178 comments)posted 5 years ago

usa1 has nothing else to discuss except partial birth abortion...

Let's hug

31Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years ago

SEBRING OHIO WINTER SCENE

Look who's coming to dinner!

32MaryG(27 comments)posted 5 years ago

I know that hitting a deer while driving can be deadly. Glad your fiance wasn't hurt badly. Let's put all this behind us and pray something similar doesn't happen again. Unfortunatly humans are creating more space unliveable for all wild animals.

33factseeker(1 comment)posted 5 years ago

I suggest you read the true story rather than a poor quality, incorrect one such as the article above. Mr. Wilkinson obviously has no desire to report the facts, but rather concentrates on ratings. Click here for a less dramatic, but truer recollection of what actually happened.

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your address browser.

34Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 5 years ago

Well, I for one, apologize for the ranting......the article that factseeker posted seems like what really happened. Shame on your Mr. Wilkinson......

35janeyblue(227 comments)posted 5 years ago

and we are supposed to trust channel33..why? A certain personality wears a wig that resembles deer fur...
Yep they are indeed a bunch of inbreed morons..
(Hope...I agree about Wallyword!...um Walmat...packed to the rafters with every low life scum druggie drunks 24/7...not a penny spent there in 2 months now and I do not miss it at all..No more holding my nose when someone walks by)
The world is full of trash morons always has been always will be sadly

36starofesther(168 comments)posted 5 years ago

people need to be educated if a deer approaches

37scout(2 comments)posted 5 years ago

What a bunch of savages.

It's unbelievable that so-called humans could commit such a neaderthal and vicious act on a completely harmless and innocent creature.

I live in Colorado and though we see deer wander into our cities and neighborhoods quite often, no one has ever intentionally tried to hurt these quiet and timid animals.

This kind of incident is completely sick. I thought that this kind of violence only happened in 3rd world countries or during past centuries.

Some US citizens need to be purged from our society and sent to more primitive and violent places.

38mcommuter(1 comment)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

If situations involving the harming or killing of a wild animal that is not in a situation that will cause a danger to humans or companion animals are not addressed in the OH Revised Code now, let's start lobbying state legislators to step up and sponsor a bill. These so called persons,if capable of what they did, can only inflict some other heinous harm to their fellow citizens.