Which holiday was that?

Published: Wed, December 9, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

Which holiday was that?

EDITOR:

I have been a resident of Mahoning County for 75 years and I have never heard of a Holiday Parade. I do remember my parents taking me down town to a Christmas Parade, like the one they have in New York and Philadelphia but I never heard of a Holiday Parade.

Is Youngstown combining Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day, Veterans Day, New Years Day and all the other holidays into one day? I know that Dec. 25 was declared a national holiday by an act of Congress and it is called Christmas. Let me be the first one to vote to bring back a Christmas Parade. Anybody who wants to take Dec. 25 and combine that date with their holiday, tell them to go and get their own act of Congress,

BILL MAINE

Boardman

Comments

1leaveusalone(103 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Dear Bill,

I bet that Jesus wouldn't care one bit what we called a parade at this time of the year. I think he'd be happy just to see all of us celebrating kindness towards each other.

Instead of worrying about Christmas labels, let's honor Christ by demonstrating peace and goodwill towards our fellow humans.

Peace be with you.

2NoBS(1967 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Political Correctness has gone too far, and I wish as much time was spent worrying about whether the Christian majority in this country is offended, as is spent worrying about tiny little loudmouth special interest groups being offended.

leaveusalone, I think you're wrong. I think Jesus WOULD be offended at this latest diluting of a Christian holiday.

Can we have peace and goodwill toward our fellow man, AND call Christmas by its proper name too? I think so.

3knucles518(39 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I think we have to many other religions in our country, to force people to call soemthing Christmas. When you talk to a jew you dont say Merry Christamas. By calling it a Holiday Parade it opens the event to all religions.

4cambridge(3033 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Believe it or not there are actually places in this country where people of all beliefs take advantage of the season to wish each other well and work to live in peace and harmony. These people actually share their celebrations and customs with others in the spirit that the season is meant to convey.

On the other hand there are still places in this country where people wave their flag and thump their bible while showing disrespect and disdain for anyone with beliefs other than their own. It's amusing that those people consider themselves "Christ like".

5NoBS(1967 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

knucles518, what do you say to your Jewish friends around Easter? Do you even know when Yom Kippur or Passover is?

This season has always been Christmas. What's changed that we now need a new name for it?

And Quail, yes, you can call it whatever you want. And you can put up a Winter Holiday Bush in your living room, and put Winter Holiday Lights on your house, and sing Winter Holiday Carols, and all the rest. Seems like you're the one getting all bent out of shape because others want what is, after all, a religious holiday to keep the same religious name it's had since long before anybody worried about offending someone else over something so mind-numbingly trivial.

6ojanet22(134 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Cambridge & Quail, I agree 100 percent!

7candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

...my x-mas present for NoBS

8Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Merry Christmas, everyone!

9ts1227(137 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Cambridge, what do you think you're doing bringing that rational thought into this conversation?

Acknowledging that people like Jews and African Americans may celebrate similar holidays around the same time? What a foolish idea!

If we recognize the beliefs of someone other than white Christians we are obviously "bleeding heart, PC liberals".

In which case, call me a "bleeding heart, PC liberal" all you want. I'll tell people who I know celebrate Christmas Merry Christmas, and I'll tell my other friends Happy Holidays. If I meet someone for the first time, I'll take the "Happy Holidays" high road just to cover it all.

10leaveusalone(103 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

DJColon: There is no problem here for me to be part of. The city had a parade; called it a holiday parade; and, as a result, no one had to feel excluded. If some people feel that it's that easy to diminish Christmas, or Christ, by the label they place on something, then they do not comprehend either very well.

NoBS: Why would Jesus, who was Jewish, be offended? He celebrated the Jewish holidays - in a time and place where his people were a religious minority, often persecuted for their beliefs. I have to think that he would applaud our society's sincere attempts to honor each other.

I have no problem calling Christmas Christmas - I simply like to remember that the same season is also Hanukkah to my Jewish friends, Kwanzaa to my African American friends, Al-Hijira to my Muslim acquaintances, and Yule to those who follow the Wiccan religion. And with all due respect, I think you contradict yourself. On the one hand, you want to keep the name of a religious holiday as it's been, (which I assume means it's important to you) and then, in the same sentence, you say "....before anybody worried about offending someone else over something so mind-numbingly trivial." I sense (and I hope I'm wrong) that you consider the Christian name to be important, but the other religious names and traditions to be trivial?

mikeymike: it's only Merry Christmas if you are Christian. Yes, Christmas commemorates the birth of Christ. But the holiday wasn't even "officially" established until about 350 AD, by Julius I, Bishop of Rome. Prior to then, December 25 had been celebrated by the Romans as Saturnalia, and by the Persians as the birthday of Mithras, their god of light and wisdom. There are scholars who believe that much of our Christmas tradtion was actually adapted from these earlier celebrations, in an attempt to convert more followers to Christianity.

I notice that the words "politically correct" and the phrase "PC" are tossed around a lot. I would offer a different view of "PC". The letters should stand for POLITE and CONSIDERATE.

This country is strong and remarkable, not because it adheres to any particular religion. It is a beacon to the world because it respects the rights of individuals to worship God in their own way. It is not perfect; but its attempts to be inclusive of all peoples should be applauded and supported.

11AtownParent(562 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Standing ovation leaveusalone, your post was spot on!

12Lynds(16 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I couldnt have said it better myself leaveusalone thank you.

And thank you to everyone who came Downtown with there loved ones and families and enjoyed the Parade.

13CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Happy Festivus! (A holiday for the rest of us!!!)

14CitizenJ(34 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Bill,

Technically, it IS a holiday tree, not a Christmas tree. The tradition of putting up a tree indoors is actually a pagan tradition, predating Christianity by many years. It's part of their "festival of light", celebrating the winter solstice and the coming of the sun, not the s-o-n. This time of year has been celebrated since well before Christianity. I personally don't have a problem with calling a "Christmas" tree, since that's what I was taught to call it growing up, as were so many of us. As a matter of fact, I recently put up a "Christmas" tree. But, I would also not suggest worrying about what it's called, regardless of it's meaning to you, and rather be happy there is a parade and celebrate the season for what it is. The coming together of family and loved ones, a time of giving and sharing, a time to put our differences aside and be peaceful. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Season's Greetings to you sir and to everyone else.

15Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

You got it Candy......love the seinfeld! lol

16ojanet22(134 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago