Two Mooney teens’ bodies found at cemetery

Published: Mon, December 7, 2009 @ 10:29 a.m.

Boardman police seek help from the public in its investigation of the deaths of two Mooney students.

Staff Report

BOARDMAN — The bodies of two Cardinal Mooney High School seniors were found Sunday morning at Forest Lawn Cemetery on Market Street in Boardman.

Both male victims had gunshot wounds to the head, and one gun was found at the scene, police said.

The names of the victims — who were 17 and 18 — were not released by police.

The victims were found in the cemetery about 7:05 a.m. when an officer on a routine patrol spotted a vehicle on the property.

Jack Nichols, chief of the Boardman Police Department, said the case is being investigated, and it could take weeks before a conclusion is made.

Nichols said evidence, including gunshot residue, will determine whether the incident is ruled a homicide-suicide or a double suicide.

The department will also subpoena cell phone and e-mail records for the teens for any leads on motive or intent, police said.

Other details were not made available Sunday night.

Family members for both victims declined to comment on the incident.

Cardinal Mooney High School has experienced a wide range of emotions throughout the past week.

Jubilation from a state championship in football Friday was replaced by heartache after the tragedy. Students took part in a makeshift, impromptu memorial at the school Sunday afternoon. School officials did not return phone calls seeking comment Sunday evening.

Classes today had been canceled because of the state championship football victory Friday. But the school will open at 10 a.m. today to students who wish to mourn their classmates. There is also a Mass in remembrance of the victims at 1 p.m. at the school.

Nichols has asked anyone with any information on the incident or those involved to contact the department at (330) 726-4144 and ask for Lt. Don Hawkins.

Comments

1MSPHIFER27(7 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

This just breaks my heart to see such young lives taken so violently, my sympathy and prayers are with the families, God please bring them peace

2starofesther(168 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord..

3rgp2585(62 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Some schools have an atmosphere that if you don't play football, you're treated less than those who do. 'Groupies" who are popular usually don't stray outside their haven. I saw this at Ursuline in the 70's. No matter what accomplishments you in the classroom, you're still not on an equal playing field. My heart and prayers to the families and if my hunch is true, Mooney better look in the mirror instead of the trophy case!!

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

More on the shooting . . ..

5Dani(1 comment)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Last I checked this had NOTHING to do with trophys and sports but the fact two lives have been cut short. Yes, these boys were athletes but this can happen to anyone, in any town and for every child that this does happen to, there are parents and families that are mourning and deserve respect. It's not about the school or where you attend. This is not about public school vs. catholic, it is about the death of two very young men and their families who have to learn to live the rest of their lives with out them. Can we please just show these families respect and not make it about what school they went to?

6VABuckeye(14 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

rgp, you're a sick individual. Get your facts straight. Whatever was going on had nothing to do with sports. By the way, one of them played baseball, and was a 3-year letter winner. One of them was adopted with his sister from the streets of Saravejo whern he was 5. You know nothing.

7valleyred(1078 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

RGP you are a sick and twisted individual for making that remark. I have heard that it is a double suicide.

Very sad.

8Level_Headed(30 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else out there want to self promote their business here? Not mentioning any names..

9terri1984(25 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I was so saddened to hear of this tragic news. I do not know these young men or their families. I can only imagine what the families are going through at a time like this. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. May the Lord Bless these families during their time of grief. My heartfelt sympathies. CMHS 1984 graduate.

10ObjectivelySpeaking(3 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

There is no greater tragedy than the loss of a child's life. Be they Muslim, Jewish, Catholic or any other religion. I am amazed that anyone can make cruel comments at this time. I can not imagine the emotional suffering that they lived with and now their families live with.
I did not know these children, but I am in tears at the tragedy that occurred.

11thedude(3 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

rpg your comments are totally uncalled for. These families should not be subject to the lunacy that came out of your wind tunnel. Please take a look in the mirror and tell us what you see. I suspect you can't describe that vision either.

12just4me(11 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

rpg2585--- HOW DARE YOU!! Do you really believe this was due to not playing on a team?!?! You've got some issue! And by the looks of it- a lot of penned up anger to CMHS.
My heart bleeds for these families. The loss of a child is debilitating.

13ytowngramma(39 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Wonder why every other paper and news reports list the boys names but not the Vindy.

14candystriper(571 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

transitioning from being a teenager to a adult is very stressful...

15TeresaB(82 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I feel so bad for their families and the students/faculty at Mooney. I can imagine this is a very trying time for them all. As for those who want to turn this ugly, shame on you. Save your agendas for a more appropriate time.

16rgp2585(62 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

If my comments seemed harsh to some, it is because the pressures at school can be overwhelming to many of the victims. Over the last 8 years, i know of 5 suicides ( one a close friend son) and the others friends of friends. Four out of the five had to do with pressures at school and the notes from some of not fitting in at school no matter how how they tried. The other was on the anniversary of his parent's divorce. Signs are usually given but in today's hustling pace of activities at and away from school, there can be easily missed. As I said, my heart and prayers to the families and friends of the young men and hopefully this tragedy will open the hearts and minds of others to see and help other people in need before it is too late.....

17strangelove(21 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

As a former Mooney graduate my heart just aches. I want to extend my deepest sympathies out to the families of the two boys as well as to the all the kids at Mooney. I remember the heartache we all had when Stoops passed away I can only imagine the emotions that they are going through.

That being said though, I don't know the reasons behind this but I do know that kids today face an enormous amount of pressure both at home, on the field, in school, and with peers. We cannot do enough as adults to help kids cope, understand, and persevere.

Just tragic . . .

18student829(2 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

i'd just like to say RGP that you are rude inconsiderate bastard. You don't know those boys and you never will. Last time i checked this situation had nothing to do with sports or what school they attended. You know absolutely nothing except for the rumors swirling about. To be commenting on why "you think" something happened is just out of line when you don't know anything about the situation. This is truly a tragedy for those who know them and their memories will always be cherished.

19Cmhs74(5 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the two families involved in this tragedy and also to all those associated with Cardinal Mooney. Only those who are students, parents, or alumni of Cardinal Mooney know how close this school is. The rollercoaster ride this group is on with the winning the state football championship one day and losing two members of the school the next, it's just hard to imagine. To those posting on this site please be considerate of those who are fighting with this tragedy. Hopefully in the next few weeks more will be understood.

20beachbum727(2 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

You know what RGP? I went to school with these boys. I'm currently a senior at Mooney. I knew them and I think it's pretty rude that you're going to say things like that when today, we had a mass for them and the whole student body was there. Yesterday when we had the service for them there were a ton of people that showed up and we had only knew about it for an hour. So keep it shut, I don't appreciate it at all. Our trophy case isn't everything and I think it's pretty compassionate on the football players parts to be there today and yesterday when we just won a state title.
RIP Colin and Jamie

21margarita(19 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

From an Ursuline graduate:
I am so sorry for all of Mooney"s family and especially the families of these two young men. May all of you find Peace, as you try to understand.

22oh2az(5 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Condolences to all parties. Every 18 minutes someone in the US dies by suicide and every 19 minutes someone is left to make sense of it. Take this time to reflect on their lives and educate each other on the catastrophic effects of depression. The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill and National Institute on Mental Health have some good information on depression and suicide. My heart goes out to the friends and families of these young men. Take each threat of suicide seriously and learn the risk factors. Depression doesn't discriminate.

23clog1760(11 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

My heartfelt condolences go out to the Serich family, I know both parents from growing up in Struthers, good people. I am so deeply saddened by this. Also to the Hart family I know that young man was so loved and wanted by his family, I remember the day they adopted him and brought him home to Boardman. Please keep both families in your prayers and I pray that those two young men found peace that they could not find here. Suicide is something that no one will ever understand,or make any sense of....May two more stars shine in the heavens tonight.

24bamabiker(6 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I went to Mooney in the 90's and my freshman year we had a classmate that committed suicide. It was difficult. It happened right before Easter break, when we were all excited about our vacations, and it just sucked the life out of all of us. Unfortunately high school is not what it's made out to be in High School Musical. It is painful for many students. Many students stress over school work, over making decisions about their future or about fitting in at school. I myself never felt like I fit into the mold of the typical Mooney student. I got made fun of a lot. I felt like I couldn't relate to my classmates. I am far from the only student that has been through this. Things like this happen at every high school: public, private, inner-city, rural. We need to pay more attention to these kids and listen to their concerns. We need to provide a place to go where they won't be judged for being who they are and where they can get help when they start feeling suicidal thoughts.

My heart goes out to the friends and families of these students. I hope something good can come out of this tragedy.

25bamabiker(6 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Also, let's have a little respect with these posts! Two teenagers just died and this is not the place to be insulting each other!

26mooneyhigh(7 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

rgp i think that you are a very sad and insecure person. Obviously you have wasted your quality catholic education you recieved at Ursuline . The Mooney Family lost 2 great individuals and everyone is grieving. Rgp should not be allowed access to this site after a rude comment like that. wow

27kty21678(3 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

To the joke who is comment #4, you have NO idea what you're talking about. I graduated from Mooney, as well as my whole family. And you can't know what kind of familial atmospere Mooney has. Do you have ANY idea how the Mooney family has come together in the wake of this tragedy? Did you go to Mooney?? Did you know these boys? Because if you did, you would know they were well liked kids, involved in sports and other activities! I think YOU had better look in the mirror at what kind of person you are. You could only WISH to be a part of something as special as the Cardinal Mooney family. R.I.P Jamie and Colin. May God welcome you and your families into his loving embrace.

28mom8890(5 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

My heart goes out to these familys and their friends may god bless them all. And shame on those of you, (you know who you are) who have made this awful tradgedy about everything except for what it is A TRADGEDY.