Killer Kenneth Biros to make second trip to Death House on Monday

Published: Sun, December 6, 2009 @ 12:40 p.m.

By Marc Kovac

COLUMBUS — The last time Kenneth Biros made the trip to the Death House, he brought a gold cross necklace, a portable compact disc player with some CDs, a rosary and 20 stamped envelopes.

He ate cheese pizza, a salad with Italian dressing, Pepsi, Doritos with French onion dip, blueberry ice cream and cherry pie.

He drank coffee and paced in the tiny cell just 17 steps away from the chamber where two dozen Ohio inmates had been put to death.

That was back in March 2007, when the convicted Trumbull County murderer spent more than 30 hours in the brick building behind the razor-topped fence at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville.

Biros, who murdered and dismembered 22-year-old Tami Engstrom, then scattered her body parts in two Pennsylvania Counties, is one of the few Ohio inmates slated to make a return trip to the Death House.

A last-minute stay, issued hours after his scheduled execution time, halted Biros’ walk to the death chamber. Current court action could further delay Biros’ execution, as the state moves to implement a new execution protocol that calls for a single drug injection in place of the former three-drug method, and a direct injection backup if suitable veins are not available to carry an intravenous one.

But barring a court decision, Biros will make the trip to Lucasville and arrive sometime this morning, about 24 hours before his scheduled execution 10 a.m. Tuesday.

“If it’s still on, that’s great,” Tommy Heiss, Engstrom’s brother, told reporters last month following Biros’ second clemency hearing. “If it gets delayed, it’s going to be very sad for our whole family and the community. The way we feel, the way I feel, the way our family and everyone feels, I feel like we’re all a bunch of puppets, and Ken Biros is the one pulling the strings, dancing around the justice system. He’s doing everything he can to buy more time.”

Read the full story Monday in The Vindicator and on Vindy.com.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

"And he spent nearly three hours visiting with his mother, his sister, his brother and some friends in a room where they could hug and hold hands."

How ironic it is that those who didn't do the crime will suffer the most when Kenneth Biros is executed .

2gypsygirl720(186 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, STAN,
Very "IRONIC" Also, Tammy did not get the opportunity to say HER farewells, to HER family and friends.
May GOD BLESS them all. [except for the Monster].
~~~~IRONIC as well: December 8th is a feast day in Christian/Catholic Churches.
~~~~The same date John Lennon was murdered.

3GTX66(343 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope this is his final trip!

4milsorgen(1 comment)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

The death penalty should be abolished. It's as barbaric as it is naive to think that any one has the wisdom, knowledge or foresight to be able to decide whether a person should live or not.

5woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

milsorgen shut the f@@k up this man needs to pay for his crime and take that shot. Tami diddnt have any where near the oppurtunity he has had so kill this punk a@@ b@@@h

6nanaj1(15 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Looking forward for closure for my sister and her family. It's been a nightmare fore everyone.

It's time for Biro"s to let go. He is getting the easy way out.....A shot wow!!!!

If he is sorry like he says he is he would want to die .....Still a cry baby!!!!!

7Siouxi(122 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

It's about time!

8Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

milsorgen - "It's as barbaric as it is naive to think that any one has the wisdom, knowledge or foresight to be able to decide whether a person should live or not."

Well idiot, if Tami was your sister or someone that you loved, you would change your stupid mind in a heartbeat, you fool. This animal could have decided that Tami should live and die and he has no wisdom to justify what he did, you talk about a barbaric way to end a 22 year old life,this monster did it. Just kill the animal and I hope it's slow and painful and and he suffers intensely to the end and beyond and maybe one day you can chit chat with him!

9DragonFly664(198 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope he is put to death this time! He is nothing but a cry baby, ooooo its cruel to do this to me...well he did not seem to care when he was killing Tami, now did he??? I have NO sorrow for this man.

10CCADTI(80 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

What Biros did was barbaric, not the way he gets to die. It looks as though being naive is misplaced milsorgen. It does not appear that you know what barbaric means. I am curious as to why his family is not attending his execution this time. Well he can pray to the Buddha statue I guess for comfort. Well Mr. Biros, your everlasting torment will begin as soon as you are dead.

11angelad428(1 comment)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Actually Stan, I think those who suffer most are Tami and her family.

I was only 3 when this happened so I never knew Tami, but her father Jim was married to my grandma, and I saw him as my grandpa. The pain this man caused him and the rest of the family was immeasurable. Unfortunately, he passed away last fall. But I know there was nothing he wanted to see more than for this piece of scum to be brought to justice.

He so carelessly and brutally ended Tami's life. I do not get why there is so much worry that he should be treated humanely when he has proven he is far less than human. This has been drug out far too long already.

12Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

angelad428 :

"Actually Stan, I think those who suffer most are Tami and her family."

The execution will give some closure to Tami Engstrom's family . After the execution the Biros family will feel some loss .

My reference was to what will happen when Biros is executed . Kenneth Biros will feel nothing when the drug takes effect .

I had driven by the tracks where the authorities were searching . Later in the news I found out what the search was all about . This was a horror that should never had happened .