YSU enrollment continues to rise

Published: Tue, August 25, 2009 @ 12:03 a.m.

photo

ENROLLMENT UP: Freshman Rachel Clifton of Hubbard, took a moment between classes to check her schedule as Youngstown State University. University officials said first-day enrollment Monday for the fall semester reached 14,425, the highest number in 16 years.

The number could climb even higher over the next couple of weeks.

STAFF REPORT

YOUNGSTOWN — Enrollment at Youngstown State University has surpassed the 14,000–student mark for the first time in 16 years.

The university reported that enrollment as classes opened Monday for the fall semester was 14,425, an increase of 1,002 students over the morning of the first day of classes last fall, a 7.5 percent increase.

The numbers are preliminary as official enrollment counts won’t be available for two weeks.

However, if trends from past years hold true, the number of students could increase even more over the next 14 days through late enrollment, said Thomas Maraffa, senior assistant to President David C. Sweet.

As an example, by noon Monday, the number of students had already jumped to more than 14,500, according to the university.

It is the first time since 1993 that YSU’s enrollment has cracked the 14,000 level. Nine years ago, enrollment was 11,787, the lowest point since YSU became a public university in 1967, a university spokesman said.

“This is an incredible accomplishment for the university and the community,” Sweet said. “Over the past several years, we have all worked very hard to develop high–quality academic programs that respond to the needs and interests of our students and the community and to offer those programs at a cost to students and parents that is extremely competitive across the region and the state.”

“Increasing the percentage of residents in the Mahoning and Shenango valleys who have a college education is key to the region’s economic future. I want to thank everyone on campus, from our admissions office to our faculty, for their diligence in making enrollment a priority for the university,” he said.

Building YSU enrollment has been one of Sweet’s primary goals since he became president in 2000, with the 14,000 mark becoming a nearer target over the last few years. Under his direction, the university has developed an aggressive marketing campaign to attract new students, particularly from the Western Pennsylvania area along the Ohio border.

One of the latest moves was approval from the YSU Board of Trustees this year for the “Western Pennsylvania Advantage,” which essentially allows students from eight Western Pennsylvania counties to attend the university at nearly the same tuition rate as in-state undergraduate students.

The program eliminates a $2,700 annual tuition surcharge for those living in the eight counties, reducing their rate to just $200 a year above in-state tuition which is set at $6,956 this fall.

University officials said the program has resulted in an increase in applications from the border counties.

Comments

1oldstown(198 comments)posted 5 years ago

YSU is a "dumping ground" for students who have been rejected elsewhere. In my day it stood for "You Screwed Up."

2saysithowitiz(98 comments)posted 5 years ago

Don't forget to mention how the tuition is up also! More students + higher tuition = really fat paychecks for the YSU higher ups. I guess the recession had put a damper on their lifestyles but at least they've figured out a way to get around that.

3nlpavalko(12 comments)posted 5 years ago

I agree 857. Anyone who criticizes YSU has obviously never gone to school there. I won't claim it's on par with Ohio State or Harvard, but if you're looking for a fine undergraduate institution, there's no better than YSU.

4prodgodq(149 comments)posted 5 years ago

It never fails......the bitter, negative posts on this board amaze me. As if getting an education doesn't require effort out of the student. Any degree is based on one thing: You get out of it what you put into it. Having taken some graduate level courses at YSU, I found the professors to be enthusiastic, and the cirriculum was what I expected. YSU is a good institution with programs that are easily on par with other colleges of the same size.

5DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years ago

There can only be positive effects from the increased enrollment. The idea to let western PA students attend without the out-of-state fee increase is a great idea as well.

I took two courses at YSU, after undergrad at a pretty "good" school and I had no qualms with the profs or the material. The majority of what happens in school depends on the student anyway. Most schools get their reps based on how well the student does in the real world afterwards.

6oldstown(198 comments)posted 5 years ago

Hey, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. This place was a joke 30 years ago and given the incredible economic/cultural/societal erosion that has taken place here since then, I highly doubt anything has changed. Anyone who thinks the mills in Youngstown are dead forgot that its DIPLOMA mill is still going strong!

7Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 5 years ago

There is no difference between the education you can get at YSU and any other state school. The only difference is in each individual program. YSU I've heard has a good engineering program and a good nursing program.

Granted few people from outside the area are going to consider YSU but if you're from this area and what to make something of yourself, YSU is a good option and this area is fortunate to have it. Not all areas have an affordable college right in the middle of the town.

One thing we can say about Ohio is that we do have the infrastructure to allow people to make something of themselves. In some states it is difficult to find an affordable, rather open admissioned, closely located college. To try to compare it to Case Western or other schools like that isn't fair because YSU's goal isn't to become Harvard.

8saysithowitiz(98 comments)posted 5 years ago

Funny how everyone makes the assumption that I am an uneducated high school grad who is just looking for a good labor job. Not the case, I am a YSU student, a junior at that I am just tired of Ohio colleges raising tuition and the state not doing anything to help. So maybe my problem isn't with YSU, but also with the state(but I'm sure you all read the university's complaints about the utility poles near the new college and how they might foot the bill...that money has to come from somewhere)

Most major colleges in other states are a few thousand dollars cheaper and offer an education that is just as good if not better. It was nice that the state of Ohio gave me an initial grant of $2500 for this school year and then when it came time to pay the tuition bill the grant was lowered to $1000 for the year because of budget issues.

9Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 5 years ago

You're right that tuition is rather high in ohio, ysu is affordable compared to the other universities here. I'm a junior at osu and an argument could be made that the schools aren't as frugal as they should be with student and taxpayer money.

10Leonardo(4 comments)posted 5 years ago

How many of those students will withdraw all of their classes before the drop date? How many years will it take them to graduate? If on average a student at Ohio University graduates in 5 years and pays $18,000 a year, and a student at YSU graduates in 6 years and pays $15,000 a year, which is really the better deal? Those aren't real statistics, but you get the point I'm making. There are so many ways for administrators to "cook the books" and make things look good. But they never accurately represent the situation when things are looking bad. I doubt there were too many negative comments from administrators back in 2000 when enrollment was at an all-time low. Lesson learned: trust little that comes out of anyone's mouths.

11valleyred(1097 comments)posted 5 years ago

I am a proud student of Youngstown State University. I wasn't some idiot from High School that went to YSU. I was a honor roll student and NHS member at arguably the best high school in the area in my eyes, right across the freeway on Wick Avenue.

YSU is a great college.

12Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 5 years ago

Leonardo, atleast at Ohio State there is a university census date around two weeks after the quarter starts. I would guess YSU is comparing initial enrollment to initial enrollment otherwise it would be apples and oranges.

you can indeed "cook the books" and get away with it. Statistics never lie but liars use statistics.

Also I don't agree with your point on saying osu @ 18k a year is like the same thing for ysu students when they take longer. It's completely up to the students to how long you want to take or what you want to spend.

btw osu is definitely north of 18k a year.

13ElPolloRetrasado(202 comments)posted 5 years ago

I am a senior engineering student at YSU right now and I can tell you the tuition price is too high, the books are absolutely outrageous and if you are a fulltime student that is also working fulltime, with a home and a family good luck when all they do is cancel classes that you need and move the classes they don't cancel to times when you can't take them anyway. So much for ttrying to better yourself. That 4 year degree easily turns into 6 and all YSU does is suck the money from your pockets. Oh and i love the textbooks that are exactly the same as any other schools text book but YSU changes the picture on the cover and puts the words, "Customized For Youngstown State University" at the bottom. Buy that book at the so called not for profit YSU bookstore for 100 to 150 bucks or buy it online in the standard not to rip of our students edition for 15 bucks. Thieves, thats all YSU is made up of!! Try and argue the facts, cause its all true!!

14Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 5 years ago

I read a student publication that pretty much busted some professors for creating customized course packs that cannot be resold back and when the publishing company sells it they get their cut. Kinda shady stuff if you ask me.

15UrbanWolff(10 comments)posted 5 years ago

YSU provides a great undergraduate education. Upon graduating from YSU, I was admitted to a Research 1 public university located in the Northeast where I earned two master's degrees, was subsequently hired, earned administrative tenure, and am completing my PhD dissertation.

Without the strong undergraduate education I obtained at YSU, none of this would been possible.

Can it be better? Sure. Every college should continually assess its performance and opportunities for improvement. I think with the arrival of a new president (I graduated before Dr. Sweet arrived, but from what I have read, he lacks judgment in human resources or administrative services) , YSU can fully move into the 21st century.

16Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 5 years ago

Good luck on that dissertation.

17peaheadcrafts(2 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

I have found the education on the level with others and that the administration from every department, professional and truly committed to each student as a personal enrollment and not a mass group of new dollars and cents!