YSU enrollment continues to rise

Published: Tue, August 25, 2009 @ 12:03 a.m.

photo

ENROLLMENT UP: Freshman Rachel Clifton of Hubbard, took a moment between classes to check her schedule as Youngstown State University. University officials said first-day enrollment Monday for the fall semester reached 14,425, the highest number in 16 years.

The number could climb even higher over the next couple of weeks.

STAFF REPORT

YOUNGSTOWN — Enrollment at Youngstown State University has surpassed the 14,000–student mark for the first time in 16 years.

The university reported that enrollment as classes opened Monday for the fall semester was 14,425, an increase of 1,002 students over the morning of the first day of classes last fall, a 7.5 percent increase.

The numbers are preliminary as official enrollment counts won’t be available for two weeks.

However, if trends from past years hold true, the number of students could increase even more over the next 14 days through late enrollment, said Thomas Maraffa, senior assistant to President David C. Sweet.

As an example, by noon Monday, the number of students had already jumped to more than 14,500, according to the university.

It is the first time since 1993 that YSU’s enrollment has cracked the 14,000 level. Nine years ago, enrollment was 11,787, the lowest point since YSU became a public university in 1967, a university spokesman said.

“This is an incredible accomplishment for the university and the community,” Sweet said. “Over the past several years, we have all worked very hard to develop high–quality academic programs that respond to the needs and interests of our students and the community and to offer those programs at a cost to students and parents that is extremely competitive across the region and the state.”

“Increasing the percentage of residents in the Mahoning and Shenango valleys who have a college education is key to the region’s economic future. I want to thank everyone on campus, from our admissions office to our faculty, for their diligence in making enrollment a priority for the university,” he said.

Building YSU enrollment has been one of Sweet’s primary goals since he became president in 2000, with the 14,000 mark becoming a nearer target over the last few years. Under his direction, the university has developed an aggressive marketing campaign to attract new students, particularly from the Western Pennsylvania area along the Ohio border.

One of the latest moves was approval from the YSU Board of Trustees this year for the “Western Pennsylvania Advantage,” which essentially allows students from eight Western Pennsylvania counties to attend the university at nearly the same tuition rate as in-state undergraduate students.

The program eliminates a $2,700 annual tuition surcharge for those living in the eight counties, reducing their rate to just $200 a year above in-state tuition which is set at $6,956 this fall.

University officials said the program has resulted in an increase in applications from the border counties.

Comments

1oldstown(212 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

YSU is a "dumping ground" for students who have been rejected elsewhere. In my day it stood for "You Screwed Up."

2saysithowitiz(98 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Don't forget to mention how the tuition is up also! More students + higher tuition = really fat paychecks for the YSU higher ups. I guess the recession had put a damper on their lifestyles but at least they've figured out a way to get around that.

3nlpavalko(12 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree 857. Anyone who criticizes YSU has obviously never gone to school there. I won't claim it's on par with Ohio State or Harvard, but if you're looking for a fine undergraduate institution, there's no better than YSU.

4DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

There can only be positive effects from the increased enrollment. The idea to let western PA students attend without the out-of-state fee increase is a great idea as well.

I took two courses at YSU, after undergrad at a pretty "good" school and I had no qualms with the profs or the material. The majority of what happens in school depends on the student anyway. Most schools get their reps based on how well the student does in the real world afterwards.

5oldstown(212 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. This place was a joke 30 years ago and given the incredible economic/cultural/societal erosion that has taken place here since then, I highly doubt anything has changed. Anyone who thinks the mills in Youngstown are dead forgot that its DIPLOMA mill is still going strong!

6saysithowitiz(98 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Funny how everyone makes the assumption that I am an uneducated high school grad who is just looking for a good labor job. Not the case, I am a YSU student, a junior at that I am just tired of Ohio colleges raising tuition and the state not doing anything to help. So maybe my problem isn't with YSU, but also with the state(but I'm sure you all read the university's complaints about the utility poles near the new college and how they might foot the bill...that money has to come from somewhere)

Most major colleges in other states are a few thousand dollars cheaper and offer an education that is just as good if not better. It was nice that the state of Ohio gave me an initial grant of $2500 for this school year and then when it came time to pay the tuition bill the grant was lowered to $1000 for the year because of budget issues.

7Leonardo(4 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

How many of those students will withdraw all of their classes before the drop date? How many years will it take them to graduate? If on average a student at Ohio University graduates in 5 years and pays $18,000 a year, and a student at YSU graduates in 6 years and pays $15,000 a year, which is really the better deal? Those aren't real statistics, but you get the point I'm making. There are so many ways for administrators to "cook the books" and make things look good. But they never accurately represent the situation when things are looking bad. I doubt there were too many negative comments from administrators back in 2000 when enrollment was at an all-time low. Lesson learned: trust little that comes out of anyone's mouths.

8valleyred(1100 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I am a proud student of Youngstown State University. I wasn't some idiot from High School that went to YSU. I was a honor roll student and NHS member at arguably the best high school in the area in my eyes, right across the freeway on Wick Avenue.

YSU is a great college.

9UrbanWolff(10 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

YSU provides a great undergraduate education. Upon graduating from YSU, I was admitted to a Research 1 public university located in the Northeast where I earned two master's degrees, was subsequently hired, earned administrative tenure, and am completing my PhD dissertation.

Without the strong undergraduate education I obtained at YSU, none of this would been possible.

Can it be better? Sure. Every college should continually assess its performance and opportunities for improvement. I think with the arrival of a new president (I graduated before Dr. Sweet arrived, but from what I have read, he lacks judgment in human resources or administrative services) , YSU can fully move into the 21st century.

10peaheadcrafts(2 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

I have found the education on the level with others and that the administration from every department, professional and truly committed to each student as a personal enrollment and not a mass group of new dollars and cents!