Report card: Youngstown schools drop into academic emergency

Published: Tue, August 25, 2009 @ 9:55 a.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — The Youngstown City School District has dropped into academic emergency on its state local report card.

Youngstown is the only school district among 610 in Ohio to be rated at the lowest report card level.

The district had been in academic watch, the second-lowest rating, for the past several years.

District officials are expected to address the rating later today.

See the full report card data on Vindy.com and in Wednesday’s Vindicator.

Comments

1JHaddle(9 comments)posted 5 years ago

Unacceptable!!!!! While some blame I am sure must go towards SOME of the teachers, where are the parents at? Parents need to make sure their children are learning the appropriate materials in the classroom and getting the education they need and deserve. The Youngstown City Schools provided me with a great education! I highly doubt that since my graduation, my former teachers forgot how to teach. It's time to wake up Youngstown and be held accountable instead of playing the blame game or shifting responsibilities! Our children do not fail. we fail them!

2aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years ago

JHaddle, very well said. It ultimately does come down to the parents!

3tll3023(35 comments)posted 5 years ago

This is so unacceptable and down right sad. MY kids were going there and they could not even bring a book home to do homework they were not aloud. They would get so upset because of all the fights and they bathrooms were totally distroyed every time they went in there. Thank god my kids got all A's there and said they were bored at the teaching and tired of class being interrupted becasue of kids who would not listen. My kids begged me to send they somewhere else so I am. Where is all the school's money going? They Lottery is suppose to help the schools but if the school is not being run correctly then, what do we do? I called my kids school at the end of last year and left several messages and have yet to get a return call, I think its becasue I pulled my kids out of there. This is all so sad.. They should fire all the teachers and re-hire all new ones an see if that helps.. Youngstown's schools are the worst the have ever been.

4aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years ago

... They weren't allowed to bring home their books?

And just how are they supposed to do homework? Or were they not given any?

5DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years ago

The BOE should take another trip to New Orleans to discuss this. It's the only way.

6TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 5 years ago

A quote this morning from another Newspaper in Ohio:

"Youngstown was the only district in Academic Emergency (the equivalent of an F.) Ohio hasn't had a district rank that low since 2005.

Cleveland remains in Academic Watch (the equivalent of a D,) though CEO Eugene Sanders has said many schools are showing improvement."

7city_resident(513 comments)posted 5 years ago

IMO, YCSD is a distillation of poor performing students. Those who abandoned the district early, helped the slide to start. As the slide continued, and Youngstown's best and average students continued to leave, only those who don't care about their education, (with parents who don't care about their children's education) are left.

I know this is an overgeneralization, and there must still be parents who do still care, but I think there are far too few of them.

8TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 5 years ago

Now if we can only somehow find away to give them a brain implant on a government program we can have this one solved, too! "Cash for Clunkers", how about "Brains for Flunkers"?