Cobalt demand, Cruze preparations prompt worker recalls

Published: Tue, August 18, 2009 @ 3:20 p.m.

LORDSTOWN — The General Motors assembly plant here will add a second shift Oct. 5.

The move will mean about 1,000 hourly and about 50 salaried employees will be back on the job, said John Donahoe, manager of the GM complex.

In addition, the workers already on the job soon will begin working a fifth day, he said. The plant has been running on four 10-hour shifts and the extra day will be an extra 10 hours

The additions were prompted by increased demand for the Chevrolet Cobalt and the need to get ready for production of the Cruze, GM’s next generation small car.

For the complete story, see Wednesday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1tll3023(35 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

How long will it last though? How many workers want to go back to may-be be laid off again and not have their benfit weeks in?? They will loose they remaining unemployment..

2cambridge(2951 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I would love to know, what would be good news in the valley?

3cambridge(2951 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Gonzo, your up.

4Search4Answers(718 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"The additions were prompted by increased demand for the Chevrolet Cobalt "

Much like the "Employee Discount" campaign GM launched Cash for Clunkers will have the same disasterous result on the market in the next 6 months.

"The biggest problem with the 2005 price war was that it "pulled ahead" so many buyers into the market. Sales fell drastically for the rest of the year and into the first part of 2006."

I would say they are going to have one heck of a time trying to make any sales come the end of November, so don't get used to it GM employees.

5DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Never call for me to comment, just say my name three times in the mirror and I'll be there.

I will take an honest route here and say that this is good news for the area. I bet there are GM emplyess who have still been paid 90% of their wages during this period of inactivity at Lordstown, and for them I hope the saved some of that money, so I do not have to read about how bad they have it.

I am truly happy for the surrounding areas that will benefit from the increased traffic and commerce. They have no doubt had a horrible half-year. I hope things turn around for them as fast as it fell.

6janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Gonzo
Your maths are off! We are living on half of regular pay...and yes hurting! Wanna trade places?

7DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Half your current pay plus unemployment?
What is your normal hourly wage?

8jwhenry1908(2 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Even with Cash for Clunkers never forget to negotiate the car price.

Henry
Blogger
www.cashforclunkersfacts.info

9janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Gonzo
There was no pay just unemployment. You wanna pay my bills? Every GM employee is hurting. Everyone is just getting by barely. Yes all the fun stuff is out. But house payments ins taxes utilities and Dr bills leave you with little left for food and forget clothes unless you do as I and go to Salvation Army on 50% off day.
Unless you know ALL the facts don't pontificate what you do not know.
Live in someone else's shoes for a day. Trust me they will not fit you.

As for the rest of the posters...no this will not last. Good to hear everyone being called back! Enjoy the ride while you can!

Yes C4C is ok yes do negoate! And shop different dealers! One dealer told us our clunker was $3500,another said $4500 just like your Dr Get a second opinion!

BTW We do own an 09 Cobalt...its the right thing to do! C4C should have not allowed you to buy ANY foriegn car! It should have to be from an AMERICAN manufacturer! Big slip there!
And thus ends my humble opinion

10Search4Answers(718 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

So janeyblue, you would then concure that since most toyotas and hondas in america are manufactured in America that they should also be included while foreign MANUFACTURED vehicles like the Pontiac G8, Chevy Suburban, or the Ford Fusion should not be included. Or do you wish to go by ownership (which is also just as fuzzy)?

11janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ah Search such a good word twister! NOT!
Not at all what I said or implied. A common fool can understand...if the car came here on a boat it should not be included. Simple really!
I buy US...do you?
Bet you don't know the "bar code" trick to see just where your goods are imported from!
Let China,Japan and the rest support themselves. If you look..you can buy American.
Everyone should make the effort.
Even Search!

12Search4Answers(718 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah the barcode trick, is that like where GM rebadges a Toyota Corolla and calls it a Chevy prizm so people can feel good about buying an American brand?

I'm sure to your satisfaction the Cobalt is the 4th most "American" vehicle @ 82% American content, yet surprisingly enough your Cobalt is less "American" than the Toyota Camry @ 85%!

To say that you should buy American (which I would agree with) implys that there is actually a 100% American manufactured vehicle, which there is not.

13janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

ALL PRODUCTS!!! What was the last grade you completed?
Every product has a bar code! Yes you can buy MADE IN AMERICA PRODUCTS! Read your bar codes...even marshmallows!
All that I am saying is we all should try to buy as many AMERICAN made products as we can and stop shipping our jobs all over. Buy AMERICAN
don't support these thirld world countries
I really do not need a lesson on where and how my car was made...because my husband made it! At Lordstown.
Now go check your bar codes on everything and see how much crap is from China Japan Hong Kong etc...
Then next time you shop for groceries and household goods check it out...if its foriegn put it back!
Somehow someway SOMEDAY they will get the message we do not need or want their goods..Ours are just fine! Even better!

PS I had a Geo Prism,we still own one elsewhere and Pontiac sold a small car from Korea nice car!
Sometimes one must do THE RIGHT THING and try at least to support our own economy
Another PS my 91 Chevy van was made in Canada! Go figure!
Have a good one!

14Search4Answers(718 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

LOL sorry my Chinese made thinkpad laptop can't process that.

A lot of times you don't really have a choice on where the products are made, try finding a tshirt made here.

Recently it seems as if a lot of manufacturing jobs are slowly moving back here (fueled by higher cost of transport and a currency on decline).

I don't know what you mean by "I think if you look deep enough you may find a true American vehicle...just not a car!"

15Search4Answers(718 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

According to the article below, Honda can produce any of their vehicles out of any plant, with change over between the vehicles in a matter of minutes.

Why does this area put up with GM's consistent incompetence? Right now they are operating perhaps GM's best assembly plant at 1 shift 4 days a week producing what soon will be 1 vehicle. Why don't they close down the plants out in Mexico and use a modern production system like Honda so they can operate the plant at a fuller capacity and match production for each model with the demand for each model. It only makes sense to operate leaner, smarter, and better.

Does anyone know anything about this retooling? I would be blown away if GM actually decided to come out of the bronze age and come up with something that could even rival the kind of efficient manufacturing the others have developed.

16janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Search,I could not agree more with you! Gm has to pull it's finger out and bring back the jobs stateside pronto!
Sadly this has been going on for eons! Trannys from Brazil,junk from Mexico...and none is a quality product!
LOL sorry at the moment my history escapes me but what came before the bronze age? Stone? Ice? That is where GM is right now!
And I am pretty sure somewhere in America there is a guy building a true American car! Maybe in his garage! I really hope someone steps up and finally builds that car from all USA made componets!
Maybe it won't be recalled like my 09 Cobalt...after 3 weeks! (and the faulty batteries they are using!)
GM is a mess. Period.
Happy for all who have been called back to work...I pray it lasts.
For us it won't as he was injured at work 13 Aug.
Who's fault? GM of course.
Due to their re tooling efforts many jobs were eliminated and more work put upon those left. Too many tasks in too short a time frame. And lack of safety stops. Poor contracting to LIFEFLEET Ambulance,who broke said contract by pulling the agreed upon bus from the plant. It took them over 25 min to respond! To a TRAUMA! (It gets worse!)
Bad calls on managements part is going to cost this area the plant.
Thanks for your input!
Sorry it took so long to reply,busy being the caregiver now! (Yes the injuries are severe!)