No end to race debate

Published: Sat, August 1, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

By Ernie Brown

The debate over race in this country just won’t end.

Even though the president is a black man — and some liberals boast that this fact demonstrates the nation has finally overcome the issue of the descendants of slaves treated as second-class citizens — incidents such as that of Dr. Henry L. Gates Jr.’s being arrested and black kids’ getting the boot from a private suburban swim club in Philadelphia keep cropping up.

My heart went out to the 10-year-old boy from northeast Philadelphia who was crying upon his denial. When a reporter asked him why he was crying, he said he couldn’t believe he was being denied access because he was black. He added this shouldn’t be happening now.

Yes, this was a private swim club. But the day-care center’s director had called ahead of time to make sure the center could use the facility for the summer program, and she forked over a $1,950 check to pay for a once-a-week visit for a period of several weeks.

The club returned her check, saying it underestimated the capacity of its facilities and realized that it could not accommodate the number of children from the day camp. It denied race played any decision in the matter.

That sounds reasonable, and that should have been the end of the story.

But the race issue came up when the club director later told two Philly TV stations, according to a CNN report, the children had changed “the complexion” and “atmosphere” of the club.

In the confirmation hearings of Judge Sonia Sotomayor for a seat on the Supreme Court, senators grilled her incessantly about her “wise Latina” comment she made at a 2001 symposium at the Berkeley School of Law at the University of California.

Judge Sotomayor was making a point in her address that whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, “our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging.” She referred to Justice Sandra Day O’Connor as often quoted as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. Sotomayor said she believed there can never be a universal definition of wise. She then added, “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

The arrest of Professor Gates at his Cambridge, Mass., home by Sgt. James Crowley, and President Obama’s initial comments — “the officer acted stupidly” — and the president’s subsequent remarks make up the latest grist for the mill on the topic of race.

Some in the Youngstown black community are still seething that a black man convicted of raping and killing a white woman got the death penalty while a white teenager who set a fire that killed six people, most of them black children, received life imprisonment.

Our life experiences cause us to look at things differently, and that is why I believe this friction exists between the races.

More black and Hispanic men are routinely pulled over for traffic stops by police than white males. Such racial profiling is banned in several states. That is a problem in the minority community that typically hasn’t been experienced by whites.

More black people are followed by either security personnel or employees when they enter certain stores. That, I believe, is something that doesn’t happen to most white people.

When was the last time a white person went to work to find that he or she was the only Caucasian in the workplace?

Not every issue, however, that involves disagreements between the races should be labeled as racism.

But there still must be more dialogue on race in this country to eventually get to the day that race is no longer an issue.

We do have the capacity to judge people by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin. We just have to have a will to do so.

ebrown@vindy.com

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

"We do have the capacity to judge people by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin. "

How about the OJ Simpson case ? He brutally killed two white people one of which was his wife. Was he judged by the content of his character when the verdict was not guilty? Both races can find issue with so called justice. Inequality exists for both sides of the racial divide.

Obama is half white but he is considered a black man. He is elected to the highest office in the land. Is all well and everyone happy? Not a chance ! So now more needs to be done for race relations? All this is overblown and nothing but a political ploy.

What this country needs is to develop morality along with character and for life itself to be elevated to a higher value. When life comes to an end skin color has no meaning but morality and the human spirit does.

2epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

"Ernie Brown is stating false facts about minorities being discriminated against by security personal or being pulled over by the police more often than whites"

No, not quite.

3themightyquinn(6 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

Might be a more persuasive argument were it not authored by the ACLU and the UN. Those groups are definately not unbiased arbiters. Ernie makes some thought provoking comments but the article as a whole is not exactly plowing new ground. Ernie cites the Professor Gates incident but didn't appear to notice that the race based activity and language was from the lips and actions of Professor Gates. There is discrimination EVERYWHERE and race typically is only one factor in discrimination. Look at Darfur, those aren't whites indiscriminately killing blacks. Northern Ireland is another example, as is the former Yugoslavia, where religion was the primary motivation for killing one another. How many 20/20 programs have aired in which they docyument that "good looking" people are more likely to obtain jobs that plain or homely people. It is what it is folks.

4epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

Quinn,

I would add that it really shouldn't matter who authored the documents if they are factually correct. This is not a Paul Krugman piece, it's a factual report. They're making a call based on the evidence they have. They're also reporting to the UN. The report is not authored by UN.

To be honest though, your post seemed more like a plea for apathy. The "It is what it is" argument basically says racism is undeniable and therefor not worth refuting. I wouldn't argue the issue goes beyond race. We certainly don't lack the ability to come up with new reasons to mistreat each other on this planet. Whether it's religion, ethnicity or politics.

Just my two cents.

5themightyquinn(6 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

"To be honest though, your post seemed more like a plea for apathy."

If so, that certainly wasn't my intention. That's the trouble with typed discourse, the nuance and inflection of the spoken word is missing.

"The "It is what it is" argument basically says racism is undeniable and therefor not worth refuting."

Are you saying racism is deniable?

"We certainly don't lack the ability to come up with new reasons to mistreat each other on this planet. Whether it's religion, ethnicity or politics."

I couldn't agree with you more and the manner in which we engage on these issues has changed over my lifetime. Discourse has become more course over the years, much to my chagrin. It seems that he who shouts loudest, wins.

6epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

I agre. Typed disclosure is the pits of human interaction. The internet in general can bring out the worst in people

"Are you saying racism is deniable?"

Apparently I am, lol. That's what I get for typing responses at 2 AM. I would amend it by saying it's unwise to sweep issues under the rug as the second post stated. It's part of our living history, not something we overcome and then archive away. We keep the lessons learned in our culture so we never repeat the same mistakes.

7AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years ago

Race will always be an issue in this country as long as race is used as an excuse for not obtaining something.

8Education_Voter(857 comments)posted 5 years ago

Or, as long as we continue to discriminate. Those discriminated against will cry "foul", quite rightly.

9Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

andersonathan,

"Check Obama's birth certificate " lol don't even bring up the birth certificate, it certainly doesn't need to be discussed because everyone knows he was born in Hawaii except for the "we didn't land on the moon, either" crowd

10woolyd(579 comments)posted 5 years ago

STAN Im a white man and like i said before let the OJ case go hes in jail now. The police botched the evidence and as a man with a degree in criminal justice and forensic science the dna and evidence was contaminated and therefore the jury couldnt find him guilty. you cry about this case everytime race is brought up. what about Emmitt Till? Malcolm X? WHAT ABOUT THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF BLACKS LYNCHED DURING JIM CROW? WHAT ABOUT THE MILLIONS KILLED DURING SLAVERY? Why do you not complain about those unsolved murders? Amadou Diallo? etc etc etc etc etc etc

11DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years ago

The president is a white man too.

12borylie(790 comments)posted 5 years ago

woolyd,
Hundreds of thousands lynched? Millions killed during slavery. Come on. How about the Fife boy???

13woolyd(579 comments)posted 5 years ago

BORYLIE HIS KILLERS ARE IN JAIL. APPARENTLY YOU FEEL ALL THOSE MURDERS WERE ACCEPTABLE? MURDER IS WRONG NO MATTER WHAT YOU FOOL

14borylie(790 comments)posted 5 years ago

woolyd,
It's not apparent how I feel and by my questioning your numbers doesn't need to be construed as I condone murder. Most of the racists out there like yourself and the writer of this article like to point out either erroneous stats or cite egregious crimes that benefit their argument. I pointed out that you as a nitwit threw out erroneous stats and for everyone of your examples of black men that were wronged, there's probably 723 gazillion( how do you like those numbers) examples of how a little white boy is killed by a black man and remains alive in jail, also a wrong. Your parents must of been very disappointed when you found your way home.

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years ago

woolyd:

"STAN Im a white man"

Who cares ? Should I be impressed ?

Your a liberal and as such you find all sorts of excuses for crime .

Blacks are killing more of their own than were ever killed during the slave era . Where is the outcry ?Crime is crime and as such I am against all crime .

16woolyd(579 comments)posted 5 years ago

TO BOYLIE WHO AM I RACIST AGAINST? I FEEL ANY CRIMINAL SHOULD BE PROSECUTED. IM JUST SAYING ALL PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WRONGED.

STAN: NO YOU SHOULD NOT BE IMPRESSED THAT IM WHITE. ALSO IM NOT SOFT ON CRIME AS I HAVE A DEGREE IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND SUPPORT DEATH PENALTY.ALSO I WORK IN THE CORRECTIONS FIELD AND SEE DEATH ROW INMATES EVERYDAY SO TRUST ME I KNOW WHO KILLS WHO AND HOW VIOLENT THESE PEROPLE ARE.

17DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years ago

You may have a dgree in criminal justice, but you definitely have a degree in cracker self loathing.
The future is now, not 150 years ago when my ancestors were in Europe, probably working their rear ends off to get by as well.

18cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

If anyone hasn't seen it, they should rent the movie Crash. It won three Academy Awards including Best Picture in 2005. Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon and many others. Trust me, it will bring race, prejudice and stereotypes into a new light for anyone that sees it. A very powerful movie.

19Education_Voter(857 comments)posted 5 years ago

What brought on all these posts to an article that is more than three weeks old?

The biggest "excuse" ever is for a white man to say he didn't get into medical school because of discrimination. Since most American medical school students are white, I would humbly suggest there is something else hindering your progress. Ditto for the police force and fire department.

ProAmerican, if you don't want a Black doctor, you can pick from thousands of White doctors.
I don't know how you would determine the basis of a doctor's admission to Medical School. But if you want an outstanding physician right here in Youngstown, you might want to consider the following Black doctors, who may be the very best in their fields here:
Robert L. Collins, M.D.
Title: Director, section of reproductive endocrinology, and associate residency director, OB-GYN department, St. Elizabeth Medical Center
Youngstown, Ohio
Specialty: Reproductive endocrinology
Note: Dr. Collins established the first anonymous egg donation program in the country at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and is a nationally recognized authority on infertility and in vitro fertilization.

Michael K. Obeng, M.D.
Title: Plastic/Re-constructive surgeon for St. Elizabeth’s Level I Trauma Center and Section
Chief at St. Elizabeth’s Boardman
Specialty: Plastic surgery, micro-neurovascular surgery
The practice offers reconstructive
expertise for injuries associated with
facial trauma injury and an array of in-
vasive and non-invasive cosmetic sur-
gery procedures. In addition, Dr. Obeng is specially
trained in complex hand surgeries, in-
cluding the reattachment of severed fingers.

By the way, Ernie, these guys each deserve a column.

20redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years ago

I am not a racist, I am a realist.

I never used the "N" word until I discovered it was okay to use it! I watched a couple Chris Rock comedy shows and heard him using it in every other sentence. All kinds of blacks in the audience were laughing.

When I used it I heard "oh no, you can't say that, that is racist. Black people are offended" "I said, but I heard Chris Rock say it and everybody laughed. I also hear black actors say it all the time in movies" They said "it is okay for black people to say the N word but it is degrading when white people use that word."

Don't give me all this crap about powerful movies and such. Racism issues are nothing more than a tool used for personal gain.

A black man that I have utmost respect for calls it like it is when it comes to the "poor beaten down blacks". That man's name is Bill Cosby. Not real popular with a lot of blacks because they do not like the truth.

You don't need to watch some make believe movie, just take 5 minutes and read what Cosby has to say. Enjoy the look on Jesse's face as Cosby is speaking.

I get so damm fed up with this term African American! 99 % of the blacks in this country have never been to Africa and would be in a panic to get back here if they ever did go. Instead of whining about "My great great grandmammie was a slave so you has to take care of me they should be doing things to make Grandmammie proud. If Grandmammie had not suffered the indignities of slavery, today's whiners would be running around Africa with a bone stuck thru their nose. That is if their generation even survived.

Remember, "Roots" was a movie made to look like all the slaves were victims of the white man when the truth is that most of them were sold to Arab slave traders by their own tribal chieftans or by the tribal chieftan of the tribe that kicked their tribe's butt in war. Were not too many Kunta Kinta's.

Now you know what a Realist is!!!

21Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

I've heard quite a few times in my life that there are different standards for blacks entering medical school than there are for whites. I haven't verified this as it is hearsay either way, but it does sound plausible considering the college admissions process and the way financial aid has "mysteriously" gone to a disproportionate amount of minorities, especially hispanics and blacks.

Almost everything in college is them discriminating (in the sense of treating different) against white, middle to upper income, straight, christian, and male. Try getting a job on campus when you don't receive work-study on your fafsa.

22cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

redvert....Your commenting on a movie you haven't seen. It isn't pro black or pro anything. Just like it's your opinion that people could learn something from Bill Cosby, it's my opinion people could learn something from watching this movie. It was my mistake in not qualifying my statement. People with an open mind could learn something from that movie.

The move is actually a lesson on how all people of all races are conditioned to stereotype anyone different from themselves. Again, my mistake, your probably right, I doubt you would get anything out of it.

23Education_Voter(857 comments)posted 5 years ago

Search:
Are you kidding me? What university doesn't have a healthy population of upper income white Christian males? (I don't know how you would determine sexual orientation so easily.)
The last three I visited were Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, and Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana.
Upper Income white Christian males for as far as you could see. (Why do I feel like I'm writing for a dating page?)
While you're feeling resentful, you might as well be jealous of competition from upper income white Christian females with straight blond hair.

There is nothing "mysterious" about the financial aid awards (just ask at the financial aid office for demographic information). And there is nothing mysterious about the numbers of low income families in the Black and Hispanic population.

24Education_Voter(857 comments)posted 5 years ago

OMG I meant the last three UNIVERSITIES I visited, not the last three upper income white Christian males I visited. (Although that is who I went to see -- and they were my young nephews, okay?)

25Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

Lol, no I went to apply for a job at the library today and can't get one because I'm not workstudy. That's upsetting to me because I can't get the job I want because of the income of my mother, not because I can't get a date.

Here we have the office of minority affairs and a whole slew of groups that cater specifically to minorities. I have been denied being able to participate in an activity because I do not have minority status. So I mean, yes, I have been discriminated against because of my skin color.

Also, I visited miami of ohio and yeah I would agree, it has a yuppie stuck up feel to it and that's why I didn't really care too much for it.

26hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years ago

The library jobs are prized and hard to get. Many are also held by University adult employees. So you shouldn't feel discouraged.

Be happy that you don't have to wear a shower cap and dish out food to a line of dormitory students. Humiliating. If you are going to YSU, a job at one of the private businesses is better. (like restaurants) But it is hard to get a job now when you are young, period. Believe it or not, we all get older and it gets easier to be hired.

27Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

yeah, I used to work in food before college... not fun. Hoped for a nice library job or a campus job but they really limit it to work study.

Another thing I realized when I was in the dorm during the last school year was that more and more it was becoming older people working. I would say that is just another sign of the recession when people who should be in the primes of their career are working in a campus dining restaurant.

28woolyd(579 comments)posted 5 years ago

SO IM A RACIST BUT LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION. IS IT FAIR BENNIE ADAMS RECEIVED THE DEATH PENALTY BUT MICHAEL DAAVIS DID NOT?

29redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years ago

Another thought on the first OJ trial. Every person on that jury was a minority or had a present or past association with a minority. They were not there to pass judgement on any black man, they were there to pass judgement on

OJ SIMPSON...DAH...DAH...DAT...TAH...DAH...

perhaps the greatest football player of all time. A hero to the black community. Now were they going to convict OJ SIMPSON of killing that sorry cheating ungreatfull white biotch? I don't think so!!! Would OJ of liked to have his last trial held in California with a all black jury? I think so!!!!! But that wouldn't be racist, because only whites can be racist as you all have heard many times.

A realist.....

30woolyd(579 comments)posted 5 years ago

robert blake? why did he get off? cuz he was a black man with a black jury. nah im wrong

31Robert_Neville(123 comments)posted 5 years ago

I feel that this is going to be a really big issue in the coming months. I hope that we will not be reliving the 1960's all over again.

We have European nations looking at US; for how far we have moved past the race issue in American. I think that we have made the problem worst; I am afraid to say.

I have seen a lot of people feel that they should be up for promotion and that were more then qualified get passed over in my time.. The only reason that they did not get promoted was because of the numbers.. Now look at what it did for this area and this Country. God help us all!!!

32hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years ago

I gotta tell ya. There are very limited situations in which their are race quotas for promotions. In fact, I can't think of any.
When you get to the level of the corporate officers, those board rooms are pretty much all white.

Now, in cities with large Black populations, there might be an expectation on the part of voters that the mayor appoint some Black officials. That's just political pragmatism. If he appoints so many that the White voters are angry, he better adjust or lose votes.

But if you have had this in your company, I would be interested in an instance.

33redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years ago

The best example of reverse discrimination was the case of Obama's Supreme Court nominee agreeing with a white fireman being denied promotion because he was white even though he did score higher on the tests than any blacks scored. You may not like the way I worded that but that is what happened. If 97 whites and 3 blacks took the test and the three blacks scored highest then the three blacks should be promoted. That seems to be acceptable but not the other way around.

34Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

The best example of discrimination is affirmative action. It doesn't help the racial situations if people assume you only got your job because they had to meet their quota.

35cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

Affirmative action is discrimination. The brightest, the people that work the hardest and achieve should be first in line for advancement. Anything else is injustice and "Justice" is supposed to be blind. If your blind you don't see color and that's the way it should be. You can't have it both ways just to suit your agenda at the moment.

36Robert_Neville(123 comments)posted 5 years ago

hellsbells,
search4answers got it right. The facts are that it has happens in your governmental offices in the federal and state level jobs. They all have an underlying affirmative action policy.

37Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

I would also like to point out that discrimination does still exist in the world on so many levels. Discrimination can't be fixed with more discrimination, however.

38Education_Voter(857 comments)posted 5 years ago

I guess I have to believe you, Robert_Neville. I don't see it in business.
It seems to me that when I visit governmental offices in Columbus, the officials are uniformly capable and intelligent. There are plenty of white guys and some gals working there.
Do Black guys seek fire department jobs in predominantly white communities?
I'm just sayin' I don't see White men having a harder time getting a job in general.

39hellsbells(116 comments)posted 5 years ago

Outside of the current economic downturn, in which all races face less job opportunities.

At any rate, from the number of comments, I guess the author's titile is right on.

40stoochie15(6 comments)posted 5 years ago

oh wow!!! i have'nt heard so much ignorance in quite a while, and our journarlist wonder why other countries hate the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA SO!!! or should i say our country wonders why other countries hate WHITE AMERICA/ LOOK AT BLACK AMERICA IN DISBELIEF look at the things you people say about your own people, your own president, in another country you would be KILLED FOR TALKING ABOUT THE LEADER OF YOUR COUNTRY, you act like president obama came to save the black people are you crazy, he is president to try and help this whole country, that is why this country is in the shape it is in, because of ingnorance, greed,stupidity, lack of education and yes WHITE PEOPLE ARE VERY PREJUDICE ITS TERRIBLE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND NO BLACK MAN OR WOMAN IS TAKING JOBS FROM ANYONE WHITE!!!!! Matter of a fact your biggest and baddest thieves are white, so quit talking trash, and making excuses black people are not the reason that white people are poor, but prejuduice is here, and quit talking about OJ CAUSE its OLD AND TIRED, AND IM GOING TO END THIS BECAUSE U PEOPLE ARE A LOST CAUSE , TALK ABOUT PRESIDENT OBAMA ALL YOU WANT TO BUT YOU CANT TOUCH HIM, !!!!!! WITH YOUR NO CLASS UNEDUCATED LOWLIFED GHETTO BEHINDS WIPES

41cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

ProMerkin....

"I agree the biggest their are white men. Crime in the suites,..."

"Rodia"

"educat"

"Don't believe me, keyword"

LMFAO!

42cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

ProMerkin....

"When there is a diaster anywhere,"

"We did because we clean us messes no matter what the color they are, over and over."

We is must be the bestiz I's belevs!

43Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

ProAm, I don't like the direction you are taking this "race debate". Why don't we discuss the real issues we have surrounding us here in the US. I think you could do better than talking about Africa. How about gangster rap or lil wayne and the poor images that younger people are getting. Talking about dictators in Africa isn't solving problems in America, and there are plenty.

I saw some graphiti saying that we are the United States of Africa, they (black americans) say things like they run this country now. I found it rather disturbing.

44JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

Search, you are using far too current references in engaging pro. You gotta go way back to resonate -- I'm talking at least 25 years. Pro thinks Usher is an employee at the ballpark. Pro could be labeled a "regressive," among other things.

45JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

You're a bigoted moron, pro. We'll keep calling you out and you'll keep failing to respond with anything of merit. We'll keep bringing scholarly research and matters-of-fact and you'll keep bringing dusty, antiquated racism and rhetoric from the '30s. I pity you and those of your ilk.

The bums lost, pro.

46JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

What is the subject, the fact that you're a moron or the fact that you're a racist? I think I've actually addressed both pretty roundly...

Also, shouldn't you be watching McMillan & Wife or The Rockford Files right now? Perhaps you could listen to some David Allen Coe and leaf through the latest David Duke news letter instead. Gotta be getting close to your dinner time...it is after 2 pm. Lots of options, pro.

47JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

Your post (surprise!) makes no sense.

48cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

Jeff....The fact that ProMerkin is a bigot and a racist just makes it that much more enjoyable to make fun of him.

There is only one true race and that's the human race. ProMerkin doesn't qualify. I believe he's some kind of mutation, you know, like a two headed goat. Since the fair is in town I'll bet he could get a booth and pick up a few bucks as part of the freak show. I know he knows about freak shows, there's one going on in his head 24/7.

49redvert(2064 comments)posted 5 years ago

Can't believe this thread is still hanging in there.

Jeff, the sad thing is that ProAmerican's statement does make sense. Of course I am not trying to be rude when I say it would not make sense to you.

The hardest thing for the black man to admit is that blacks can be racist. They use the race card whenever it benefits them. When Brown wrote this article he used the Professor Gates incident as an example of racism which showed his mindset. Of course Obummer chimes in that it was a case of stupid police action. Truth is that if the arrogant Mr. Gates had just showed proper ID there would of been no problem. But HE KNEW THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES so he did not have to comply with a request from a "honky" cop. That was a act of racism by a black man.

Okay, rag on that for awhile. I am going to the Fair.

50JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

Pro's argument isn't lost on me but credibility on the subject where he/she is concerned was gone when earlier in the "conversation" some of his/her posts were removed because they were offensive in that they used racist slang. If that approach is how you feel you have to further your argument chances are your argument is weak, flawed or both.

Scary times.

51JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

Facts? Vicious personal attacks? I sure hope I didn't hurt your feelings, bigot.

52Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

ProCrazyUncle, I wasn't aware that people still believe white people were God's gift to the rest of humanity. Dicrimination doesn't discriminate as to who it affects, it has affected us all in some way. Both whites, black, hispanics, asians, men, women, short, and tall people have all been discriminated in some way. However, we have to get away from responding to discrimination with more discrimination and prejudice.

53JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

Right on, Search. Those who are white supremacists like pro don't get that though.

54Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

I don't deny that white people are discriminated against however, I don't feel the way you are framing this will create a positive discourse towards ending issues related to racism and discrimination.

I don't believe in affirmative action as it is simply discrimination based on the color of people's skin and not by their qualifications. Where I differ from your point is that you wish to continue with pushing ideas that continue discrimination whereas I would like to end discrimination. I don't understand why we have to check what race we are on forms, I don't believe our racial background is relevant to judging our qualifications or our worthiness for grants, scholarships, or any other way that it is applied.

55cambridge(3004 comments)posted 5 years ago

Search...."I don't feel the way you are framing this will create a positive discourse towards ending issues related to racism and discrimination."

LOL! That's not the ProMerkin agenda. He doesn't have a positive attitude towards anything and the guy is a straight up racist. Read his posts. He believes that the "white race" is superior. Racist don't want to end issues related to racism, they perpetuate them.

The guy obviously has anger issues. My guess is he got his ass kicked a lot as a kid and was always the last one picked if he got picked at all. He has a mental illness and I probably shouldn't make fun of him so much but I just can't help myself.

56Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

I don't consider myself the most "diverse" person in anyway, however pushing supremacist ideals crosses the line of what is acceptable.I try to give Pro a break because I feel that he himself feels discriminated but decides to perpetuate that.

I recall someone on these pages saying they support abortion because it keeps the ghetto population under control. That's perhaps the worst thing I have ever heard and it came from these pages. People tend to be a little bit freer, perhaps too free with what they say when their names and reputations aren't on the line.

57Search4Answers(725 comments)posted 5 years ago

ProAmerican,
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.