John Nagy off the air after 40 years at WKBN-570

Published: Wed, April 29, 2009 @ 12:10 p.m.

Many area radio listeners awoke to find something missing this morning — the deep and reassuring voice of John Nagy.

Instead of preparing the morning’s news on WKBN-570 as he had done for 40 years, Nagy was getting ready to babysit his grandchildren. The veteran newscaster was laid off Tuesday as part of a larger cost-cutting move by the station’s parent company, Clear Channel.

Nagy was hired at the station in 1969 and has been handling the morning news ever since, except for a six-month stint in the sales department in 1981.

For the complete story, see Thursday’s Vindicator or www.vindy.com.

Comments

1DragonFly664(198 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Pretty soon there will be NO live on air people, sad very sad! I enjoy listening to them talking in the morning. Makes the drive to work much better.

2scrooge(563 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Most of the news is actually simulcast from their Cleveland (Independence) offices. Pretty soon the Youngstown stations will probably be broadcast from there too.
Have a happy retirement John.
40 years and he got laid off?!? How many people have been there longer than him??

3Erplane(447 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

What a distinctive voice! Hope he lands a spot somewhere else.

4boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

clearchannel is the devil

5AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I use to like hearing John in the morning as I was driving to work and he would share his life/family experiences with Rob Mangino. Imagine how much they could save if they got rid of that whack job Michael Savage.

6pwhite1027(102 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

They should have canned mangino and verb. All they do is talk to themselves. Big mistake KBN.

7apollo(1227 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

The future of local talk radio is syndicated shows like Slimbaugh and Savage. Verb and Mangino are living on borrowed time. WNIR in Akron is the only viable alternative not owned by a large conglomerate. 100.1.

8leftofstr8(33 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Great, we lose a veteran of 40 years on the air and right wing nut jobs pwhite1027 (an appropriate name if I ever heard one,) and apollo are hoping for just syndicated right wing nut jobs. As much as I disagree with the fairness doctrine on a lot of points, these 2 are reasons for it.

Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage are the bain to WKBN, but unfortunately pull in the ratings because they are so "entertaining" to the conservatives. Notice I said entertaining, not real news people, just commentators looking for ratings and dollars by making up lies and propoganda.

9CityDweller705(16 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

For 35+ years I have been listening to Mr. Nagy give me the local morning news and find this move by Clear Channel sickening. The syndicated shows will come and go but the local personalities are what make WKBN different from other CC stations. Soon we'll have nothing but network news, syndicated shows on the AM side and computers playing the music on the FM side. I, for one, am pulling my advertising from CC. No one in the news department had less seniority? This is crazy.

10oldwoman60(3 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I can remember listening to him every morning when I lived in and around Youngstown. I now live in Georgia. I have been here for 30 years, but keep an eye on my old stomping grounds. It's a shame that someone who has become an insitution to be put out to pasture for someone who is less experienced.

11billhart(1 comment)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

This only confirms the fact that ClearChannel doesn't know what its doing. I attended KSU with John in the 1960's and worked with him during my careers in education and labor relations. He was always the consummate professional. The Mahoning Valley will certainly miss his excellent work. I wish him and his family the best.

12pwhite1027(102 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Rush is on because he did the American way. He makes money. He doesn't triple our debt on two months like Osama. I mean Obama. Rush had nothing and made it into something.

Socialists like "leftostr8" don't understand because they don't understand the American way. Self-worth means nothing to his "left wing quacks." They believe we should all be earn the same.

Thank God those rich people, the ones who create jobs for us, but don't have too, aren't as narrow minded as he is. Wonder who he has to thank for his job?? Certainly not himself!

13kiaunna(1 comment)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I timed my ride to work with John. Following the transmission commercial, I loved listening to John and Mangino talk. John is the nicest man and excellent at what he does. I can't believe that company would do this to a faithful employee. What is happening to this country???
I wish John and his family all the best. I know he will enjoy his family and have more time for them. He is a very rich man because of his great family and that is all that matters.

Carol (Erie, PA listener)

14aconstituent(193 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Wow, i remember listening to him when I was just a kid!!! This is such a shame.......Good luck to you, John, you will certainly be missed by so many. I wish you the best life has to offer!

15UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Clear Channel is laying off all their veteran broadcasters across the country who make the highest salaries. Shame on them and I wonder if it is illegal because of Nagy's age?

16Capybara91(11 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

In the words of Tom Petty, "There goes the last DJ, who plays what he wants to play, who says what he wants to say." Radio is just one more thing corporate America ruined. As for Rush, he is on because nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public (HL Mencken).

17Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

leftofstr8:

Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage seem to be the major draw on WKBN. Can you explain that? Left wing whackos need a need a show of their own but there are not enough of them in the valley to make it pay.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I hope that John Nagy enjoys his retirement. If he gets bored I'm sure some one in the valley will find a niche for him.

18RailRoaded(7 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Good luck John you are the best, and the gentleman who made the commit about Savage is right is that what we must listen to. I enjoyed listening to John Nagy, get rid of Limbaugh and Savage keep John, you will lose listeners, but what do you care. Forty years and let go no one is safe anywhere.

19NachoCheese(160 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

First of all, good luck John - you deserve better than this. CC has proven once again that bigger is NOT always better.

To those of you whining about Rush, you crack me up. It's call FREE MARKET (at least until your idol wannabe-president came into play). Rush is NOT on the radio because nobody listens now is he? Your guy Franken tried something similar and failed miserably - why? because NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR IT ... ala, nobody listens. The best Franken could come up with instead was to find an election to steal. Let's all vote with our wallets and we'll see who wins... whackos!

20najjjj(106 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

NachoCheese, I am certain from only this one posting of yours, that you were an avid Bush supporter......and you want to talk about someone stealing an election??? Geez what a short memory you have, oops or maybe I should ask: what's it like living in a world of total denial?

21scrooge(563 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

najjjj, you live in a world all your own my friend. Exactly how was it that Bush "stole" the election? Oh, I know, because he had MORE VOTES!! Even when the Dems in FL cheated he still came out on top. Get over it! That was 8 friggin years ago. Now you can hang your hat on a legitimate winner Mr. Obama .... you know, the guy that had some people voting 10, 15, 20 times for! Yeah, that was probably Bush's fault too. ACORN was a conspiricy thought up by Bush to make such a mockery of the presidency when BO got elected that the republicans will own the white house for years to come -- assuming we aren't all speaking Chineese by then.
I wasn't an avid Bush supporter, but when you compare him to AlGore - he got my vote.

22jackfrost5555(3 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

John Nagy. The best. I'll miss him. Guess he made to much money. The trend of business in the U.S.
But with the Youngstown market in a chronic shrinking modé, it's not surprising.
NachoCheeze. Your right about "Rush". But what continues to amaze me is why? He doesn't say anything. At least nothing coherent or intelligent.

23FunMeter(29 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

John, Your soothing voice will always be in our heads and hearts; I'll miss hearing you on AM radio. Get back behind the mic, on City Council or hey, how about Hubbard's Mayor?

24najjjj(106 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Hey Scrooge......first of all, I am not your friend. Second, Bush did not win the popular vote. He "won" the electoral vote.......yes, by stealing Florida. 8 yrs. ago.....so?.....look at all the wonderful things he did with those 8 yrs......why in the world do you think we're in the position we are today?? How suitable you screen name is, we all know what the fictional Scrooge stood for. Although I'm sure you haven't reached your redemption yet. Maybe the ghosts of presidential election pasts' will flit by one night and open your eyes to the real truth. I don't think you'd recognize that though even if it bit you.

25redvert(2004 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

najjjj, Bush was right to go into Afghanistan but wrong in my opinion to go into Iraq. When it comes to the financial market problems, mainly the housing market that is at the bottom of the whole issue the blame goes straight to the democrats in Congress. For your benefit I am going to post this one more time so you can watch it.

I would like to hear your opinion of the videos.

I am throwing in a couple other clips that feature the liberal boys and girls. Enjoy!

26UrbanWolff(10 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Radio stations don't pay for Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage or the ilk - they get them for free via their syndication deals. Local stations then sell air time based upon the ratings generated by the Rush Limbaughs' and Randi Rhodes' of the world (who are both syndicated by Premiere Radio Networks). These big radio conglomerates (Clear Channel, Infinity, Entercom, Citadel, etc.) don't care about local content - they just care about making the $$$.

The public owns the airwaves and the station owners are supposed to be operating in the public interest. How can they do that if there is no local content? It may be time to look at breaking up these big chains - if they're 'too big to fail' then they're 'too big to exist.'

Finally, there's no reason that the Valley can't have a progressive radio station with people like Ed Shultz, Stephanie Miller, Leslie Marshall, Bill Press, and Randi Rhodes to provide a progressive alternative to conservative radio.

27valleypoboy(42 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

When I was in high school and college my part-time job was in broadcasting and I went into it full time after school. I soon realized that broadcasting is a business with no loyalty - even less than many large corporations these days. (and that's saying a lot). "What have you done for me lately" is the mantra of managers at all levels in radio and TV. To expect otherwise, denies the nature of the beast. I got out and never regretted it.