Casino would make thing worse

Published: Sun, April 26, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

Casino would make thing worse

EDITOR:

Well, the gambling syndicate Penn National is at it again — trying to get casinos established in Ohio, though the voters voted them down twice. Apparently Penn National thinks its slogan “Ohio Jobs and Growth Development” will be an effective smoke screen for their greed.

Note that the gambling syndicate is based in Pennsylvania and is required to pay 55 percent tax revenues to Pennsylvania on all Penn National’s gambling income. But the syndicate proposes to pay only 33 percent tax revenues to Ohio. Go figure.

No wonder Gov. Ted Strickland, U.S. Sen. George Voinovich and groups like the Ohio Council of Churches see through the sham and say, “In hard economic times the last thing needed is a casino to make things worse.”

As an editorial on “False Promises” in the Columbus Dispatch puts it, “Casinos don’t create economic development — like parasites, they follow it and suck wealth from it.”

Let’s say no to casinos!

Rev. Dr. THOMAS NICCOLLS

Sebring

Comments

1UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

We need those good casino union jobs with benefits here in the Mahoning Valley. They pay $15 - $20 an hour. Yes, Las Vegas & Atlantic City are hurting, but locals would be able to play here and not pay the expense of travel in Ohio casinos. I hope that we get a chance to vote for a casino in the Mahoning Valley - the current proposal being circulated once again leaves us out in the cold.

2AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I believe that casinos should be allowed in Ohio. Gambling already exists in Ohio in the form of a lottery. Unfortunately there will always be individuals who cannot control themselves, but the majority of people can gamble responsibly. Casinos would offer job opportunities to those who are unemployed and possibly reduce crime by offerring people jobs instead of having to rob or steal. I have been to many casinos and I have never felt threatened by crime or solicted by prostitutes. I wish that the greater than thou crowd would stop telling me how to spend my money.

3JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

The reverend is worried that his organization would make less bingo money if there were casinos nearby. It would be nice, for once, for the clergy to admit what motivates their actions -- money. Just say, "if there are people gambling away their money we'd like to have it and would rather not share with anyone...even if it would mean millions going to school kids or veterans."

4JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Job creation isn't important either, right reverend? All sorts of work to be had in the Valley and in Ohio in general.

5AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

If the cost is greater than the benefit, why is Las Vegas still in business? I hope that is not your best arguement. Maybe we should shut Walmart down because of the higher cost to society. There is higher crime (i.e. shoplifting, theft and vandalism) that requires additional police resources. The revenue and profit from Walmart leave the state (back to Arkansas) and country (to purchase Chinese products). Millions of dollars are leaving the state right now as Ohioans gamble elsewhere. If I spend and gamble my money in Ohio, I will help to employ workers who will spend their money at other businesses.

6cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

If you are going to put your money against "Casino games" you are going against unlimited money and the odds favor the Casino for every game.

If you are going to bet on sports at the sports book or horse racing at least there is some skill involved. Also I don't think card rooms are a bad idea. They have them where I live and its skill games against other people and their money You would have a much better chance at this type of gambling.

My personal opinion is that Casino gambling would be a bad idea for the area for the reasons the previous posters gave. Just my opinion on the big picture.

7Rocco(99 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

My 2 cents. Casino's abound in California. Seems all the Indian tribes have one. I've been to these casino's and they are great!!! It is a place you can even still smoke indoors if you're so inclined. Some pay off better than others and some are larger than others. The best thing is you don't have to fly to Vegas and the tax dollars stay in the state. Lots of tax money comes out of these casino's. Face it all you folks that are against it in Ytown, you just don't like gambling. Gamblers will find it if they like it. They should have built casino's in the valley right after they tore those steel mills down. Stupid is as stupid does. The valley will never change.

8AtownParent(558 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

You had a decent argument until this last post foxtrot. Unfortunately you just gave away how uneducated you truly are with your judgmental attitude.

9youngstownwonder(2 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

It is amazing how people in this city feel the need to talk for everyone. If you dont want gambling in Ohio, then just dont go to it. I will bring in much needed money and that can be used for the much needed police presence. We already have crime, prostitution, and everything else, but we do not have the resources to fight it. The churches major concern is money. If we can not have a casino, then the churches should not be allowed to have Casino Night or Bingo because all of that is gambling as well. If no casinos then the churches should not be allowed to have those either.

10Rocco(99 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Gambling is a form of entertainment. Not all people are gamble- aholics. I certainly enjoy it and I am not spending money that I can't afford to loose. What's the difference if you go out to a baseball game and spend $150 on the game and maybe spend $50 betting on the game....well, there ya go - no difference. Stop it with the hollier than tho crap. I still say, Ytown really missed out on a great thing that casinos could have provided. Jobs, taxes and something to do for the people. We all have our opinions.

11AtownParent(558 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for proving my point.

12cambridge(2918 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

foxtrot:

Grump is that you?

13scrooge(563 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Casinos would be a great addition to Ohio's economy.........5 years ago. As usual we are behind the times. We've lost our chance at out-of-state revenue since we are now surrounded by casinos. The only saving grace would be if we could somehow land a Sports Book in OH. There are no other Sports Books except Vegas - THAT would bring the out-of-state money required to make the casinos prosper.
Foxtrot and Atown;
For each of your points there is a counterpoint and vice versa. Some people go to relax, tune out the outside world, etc. Not everyone who gambles is an addict or wh0rem0nger. Casinos generally have 5 star resturants, shopping, entertainment, lodging, etc. (and those dump $$ into local economy)
Trump's casino has gone BK before-it's part of his business plan.
Vegas is struggling because people have to travel to get there - a local casino would be a daytrip----just as it is for the dozens of busses leaving OH for Seneca, NY and Wheeling WV with those senior citizens and their retirement checks every day.
That being said i don't think Youngstown is the best location for a casino. Columbus is more centrally located or Cleveland (provided it's near the lakefront) are much more viable options from a business standpoint.

14Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

There is already gambling in Ohio...the lottery. Also at church festivals. And at card parties everywhere. I'd also include the NYSE and real estate.

There is no doubt that gambling could generate huge revenue for the Valley. The consequences of gambling could include lower property and sales taxes, redevelopment of downtown, new construction (casinos, hotels, restaurants).

Or I guess we could wait another 30 years for another big manufacturer to move their factories to Youngstown.

15Rocco(99 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Youngstown - where the rust has turned to dust.

16UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I would support the Casinos if theyre was one in the Mahoning Valley and the Casino was unionized. Neither appears to be happening, so I will be voting NO again on any Casino proposal.

17Rocco(99 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh yes, the almighty union. and you wonder why GM and Chrysler is going bankrupt.

18diamond225(1 comment)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Now i know why i have moved away from the area.
The area is still stuck in past times. Some thought,
The Valley already has Prostitution, Go down Market Street. Also Drugs,smugglers, Gangs, Violence, and the schools are some of the worst in the State and the country.
Casinos would bring jobs, Hotels, Restaurants, businesses etc. There are families and people who would beg to make 10-12hour. The Valley and Ohio needs casinos. Guess what else they bring, resorts.. I travel alot and believe me this area has got to start looking into the future if it wants to survive.

19Erplane(447 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

My 77 year old uncle and his friends drive down to Mountaineer once a week to play the ponies and play the slots. There are bus loads of trips to AC from the Valley. Casinos mean tax revenues. They are regulated. Ohio is bleeding money to its neighboring states. And a casino, a small one, next to the Chevy Center could even make that white elephant a bit more profitable. And what is Bingo? Its gambling...straight up.

20YSUgrad99(199 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Haven't we already missed the boat on this whole casino business? You can already go to Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan and New York to gamble.
All these casinos can't exist and be profitable. As a matter of fact, many casinos around the country are going into bankruptcy.
I just don't see the prosperity that these casino developers are promising. I'd rather keep casinos as a destination type activity in Vegas or Atlantic City!

21aconstituent(193 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I would certainly vote FOR a casino that would benefit this area. One has only to look at what Mountaineer Resort and Casino has done for Bumfu** West Virginia. I am there quite often and have not lost my home, job, gotten a DUI, or anthing else that would send me to hell!!!! People are going to gamble and the number one enemy of gambling are the people who are the ones who are most afraid of losing the almight dollar on their own gambling games, the churches!!!!! Can you say bingo, cherry bells, anyone? It has nothing to do with morals, prostitution, addiction, etc. because if it did, you would be preaching AGAINST bingo, which many people go broke playing five times per week. Look at all of the gambling games at your festivals, and all of your "Night at the Races!" You cannot speak out of both sides of your mouth! We need the revenue that casinoes could and would bring in!! Going to Mountaineer, all I see in the parking lot are license plates from OHIO. What does THAT tell you? Wise up, people. By the way, I am a college graduate, lady.....

22jethead11(139 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

The article called Penn National "greedy". Greedy corporations = good jobs. Plain and simple.

23sistersun(49 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Think about it! damned if we get it or damned if we don't get it.I'm not just a everyday gambler but I do play the number and buy scratch tickets from time to time.I'm for the Casino.I don't think the cleaning up starts there.Give us some Jobs as well as Fun.

24YSUgrad99(199 comments)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't think everyone is paying attention! Even mountaineer is struggling. They layed off a bunch of workers back around Christmas. A poor economy coupled with too many casino's bordering Ohio is making these gambling establishments less profitable. It's to late for Ohio to bring in casino's!