facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up

- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Hot hair iron left on bed causes house fire



Published: Mon, April 6, 2009 @ 12:45 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — A hot hair iron left on a bed was blamed as the cause of a fire that did extensive damage to a home at 846 Miami Avenue.

Firefighters were called to the home of Nicole Moon shortly after 11 a.m. Friday after fire broke out in a second-floor bedroom.

No one was at home at the time and a neighbor who spotted smoke coming from the house called the fire department.

Moon told authorities that her daughter apparently left a hair iron on the bed after using it and all five members of the family left the house around 7 a.m.

Firefighters had to break into the house through the front door and were able to confine the fire to the bedroom, but there was water and smoke damage throughout the two-story structure. There were no working smoke detectors in the building, firefighters said.

The house is owned by Herman McDavid of Coronado Avenue. Firefighters said he told them he has no insurance on the property. Damage was estimated at $18,000.

Read more in Tuesday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport