Rock the Vote bus visits Valley

Published: Wed, September 24, 2008 @ 12:00 a.m.

By Denise Dick

The bus campaign is traveling the country, registering young people to vote.

BOARDMAN — The economy, gas prices and the availability of jobs concern Kristine Bevan, who will vote for the first time this November.

Bevan, 18, registered to vote Tuesday when the Rock the Vote Voter Registration Campaign stopped at Boardman High School.

“Now that I’m 18, I feel like it’s my responsibility,” the senior said.

From what she’s seen watching the campaign and the media’s coverage of it, she plans to vote for U.S. Sen. John McCain. She just gets a better feeling from the Arizona Republican and how he’ll address the issues. McCain faces U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic Party candidate from Illinois.

Jermaine Martin, 18, isn’t saying who he’s voting for in November. He registered at the Rock the Vote stop, too.

“I figured since I was 18, it’s my responsibility as a citizen,” he said. “I want to be a part of democracy.”

With troubles on Wall Street and government bailouts, Martin wants a president who can address the problems in the economy so that when he enters the job market, he’ll be able to secure and keep a good job.

The Rock the Vote bus tour took off Sept. 13 and has registered 90,000 young people, either in person or through its Web site, said Kim Rogers, political director.

The campaign targets people 18 to 29 who are traditionally overlooked by the media and candidate campaigns. Research has shown that people in that age group are likely to vote if registered, she said.

Anyone who wants to register through Rock the Vote may do so through the Web site www.rockthevote.com.

Neither Katie Fiffick, 18, nor Megan Ramsey, 17, both first-time voters, have decided for whom they will vote this November.

They’re still gathering information, they said.

Neither listed an issue of particular concern, although both plan to go to the polls.

“I’ll probably listen to what my parents say,” said Megan, who will turn 18 before the election.

At 16, Brandon Pasvanis is too young to vote, but the BHS junior knows who’d get his vote if he could cast a ballot.

“Obama,” he said. “I’m ready for change, and I’m more liberal in my views than I am conservative like the Republicans.”

Comments

1MillCreeked(24 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

It's great to see young people energized by this election, as well they should be given that the disastrous decisions of the last eight years have given their young lives a tough start. Let's just hope they don't get tricked into "more of the same."

2melissa561(9 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Where is your Brain do u want another 4 years of what we just went thru with bush for the past 8 years. wake up and smell the coffee. I did the Gulf War from Bushs Dad and I was a rserveses at 41. First time ever Reserves was sent to war which we had to pay for everything including paying for a place to sleep plus food. Do we need more of that. And yes I am a VET

3paulydel(1325 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

To melissa561: I am a veteran of 26yrs and Both President Bushes have done their job well when it comes to protecting this country. You need to do some reading about our military history. Congress has never really supported the military since after George Washington. I suppose you would vote for Obama who has not voted yes or no on anything since becoming a Senator. Instead of complaining you should have been proud to have served. The Reserves wasn't just so you could collect a paycheck you were being trained knowing you could be called at anytime. I started out just as you did and I wouldn't trade what I did for anything. The days of the "Weekend Warrior" are pretty much over and unless you want to be fighting in your own back yard you should be thankfull we took the war to them. God Bless The USA.

4jetercp(67 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

too bad the candidates dont care a lick about young people...
yet they wonder why its the largest group of non voters.

funny how that works.

5dmets(575 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Please protect our counrty from what? President Bush has let our country slip farther and farther into a whole economically! The war he started over in Iraq has become 10 billion dollar a month expense for the US. While we all suffer in the US with high gas prices, food prices, and everything else is going up too.

I am voting for Obama. McCain said it himself, he is not an economist, and he also said it was sound not that long before it just about hit rock bottom. All his top advisiors for his compaign will be his cabinte. Do you what a bunch of lobbyists running our counrty? I didn't think so!

6andersonathan(671 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Well lets just say a few things about Obama: One day his pastor friend and mentor just stood up and called the USA the USKKA and it is not God bless America It is god damn America. Obama his family and even Ophra attended this church, Obama for twenty years.
As far as race issue goes Obama and his supporters play the card all the time. As far as his Community organizer skills that based the foundation for him ACORN is under state and federal investigation, Both Acorn and la Raza received a large portion of 100 million dollars in the April 08 bail out for consulting??? If the name Rezko, Ayers as friends. let the young people Google Woods Foundation also. then we can talk about voting records or non voting records. pay attention to abortion issues. Other advice. Both Biden and Obama vote with their party almost 96% of the time so much for bipartisanship. Both are big asks of money [pork] Obama almost a million a day. Both know nothing but spend and spend more and are the 2 most liberals in the senate with ranks of 1 & 3. CEO's that headed Fanny and Freddie on Obama's economic advisors team. And if that don't "change your mind then think of OBAMA BIDEN PALOSI REID FRANK SCHUMER DODD KERRY
AND THE OTHER LIBERALS. Running the country i have more if needed?

7dmets(575 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Obama is the MAN!!! If McCain is elected, all the people heading up his campaign will be running hte country> Do you want a bunch of lobbyists running the USA? I didn't think so!

Obama Biden for a better FUTURE for AMERICA!!!

8Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

And in 2007 McCain voted for Bush po 95% of the time and 2008 90% of the time.

9Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Correction********

2007 McCain voted in favor of Bush's policies 95% of the time and 2008 about 90%.

10andersonathan(671 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

And obama voted party 96.6 of the time?

11Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

But Bush's policies, he's the worst President ever and anyone who votes for him that much, is just as bad.

12OhioPerson(76 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

It cracks me up to see people here who are voting McCain. I seriously doubt these people make more than $250,000/year. Which means under Obama, they would get a tax BREAK. Not only that, but McCain admits his lack of understanding regarding economic issues, which MIGHT be forgivable in good economic times, but.... have ya read the newspapers lately?

Regarding being "safe"- I wouldn't call bombing nations who have stuff the US wants a good way to make us safe. It will make some people in the US rich, but safe? Uh, no. Not to mention the lack of action regarding safety precautions before and after 9/11...

And I love the accusation of "tax and spend"- sheesh. Is that worse than "borrow and spend"? Have you checked the US national debt lately? Where is this $700 billion coming from? We don't HAVE it- this country is taking a nosedive so fast and all people can do is liberal-bashing without describing exactly what is so bad. (ACORN, for instance, is a good organization. The fact that it's being investigated doesn't mean anything on its own- what is it being investigated FOR? Should it be going through an investigation or is it some Karl Rove scary weirdness he's known for carrying out...)

13andersonathan(671 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

In 2008 alone, ACORN’s activities have prompted calls for investigations in nearly a dozen states: Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and North Carolina, with new investigations developing regularly.

14OhioPerson(76 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

But FOR WHAT REASON??? Just "being investigated" is not an indication of guilt- that was my whole point, sheesh...