Austintown trustees offer fixed rate on gas

Published: Wed, September 10, 2008 @ 12:01 a.m.

Austintown residents will pay less than average for natural gas through a 12-month aggregation program.

STAFF REPORT

AUSTINTOWN — Beginning in October, township residents will be able to heat their homes for a rate of $10.64 per Mcf (per 1,000 cubic feet).

The 12-month fixed rate on natural gas will be available from October 2008 to September 2009 for members of Austintown’s aggregation program, which is supplied by Vectren Source.

Township Administrator Michael Dockry said residents and businesses now enrolled in the program or supplied by Dominion East Ohio will automatically receive the rate unless they choose to opt-out.

“Residents should expect to receive an opt-out notice from Vectren Source in the second week in September,” he said.

Dockry said those who are served by another supplier can join the aggregation program by contacting Vectren Source at (866) 224-7163.

Township Trustee David Ditzler said participation is 100 percent voluntary, but residents seem to prefer it.

The program “appears to be popular with our residents, as participation rates remain high,” he said. “The trustees are pleased to offer this program to our residents as another option in their attempts to manage increasing energy costs.”

Mark Burns, president of Independent Energy Consultants Inc., said his company helps the local government identify and negotiate with suppliers and choose the provider with the lowest cost.

“The whole concept is to put together a large buying group,” he said. “A supplier would provide a lower rate to a big buying group than they would to an individual customer.”

Burns said a resident who chooses to seek out a rate on his or her own would pay an average of $12.40 to $12.70 per Mcf.

Comments

1wastepro(46 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Why can't the Canfield Township Trustees do the same. Oh I forgot they are too busy trying to hire their friends and build a administration building that they only want.

2TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Now all Austintown needs is an upgrade from a third world main thoroughfare that is called Mahoning Avenue upgraded to something sorta like what Boardman got in regards to Market Street repaving, Route 224 repaving. Even Deerfield got their portion of Route 224 repaved; but once again Austintown is left with "no work for you" mentality from its county officials, what a pitiful thing it is for the taxpayers of Austintown to attempt to navigate themselves down New Road between Turner and Route 46. At least the Natural Gas Rate is one bright spot. Another pet peeve aside from Maahoning Avenue.... how about that "hole in the wall" Post Office Austintown has. Look at all the other communities surrounding them and the nice facilities they have. Oh well, at least every time you go to mail a letter in the Austintown Plaza you can brush up on your parallel parking techniques. (not even a drive-up mail box lane).

3Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Lost... the mailbox and parallel parking comments actually made me laugh! I never really thought about the fact that it's pretty crappy... oh you made my night! And you're right Mahoning is a freakin' nightmare! Have you seen their attempt to fill them? Classic!! I take every possible back route to get where I need to be.... anything to avoid Mahoning Avenue.

4TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Mimi2BC...Thanks for the compliment. Hey, the latest is the attempt to make the Owner of the Rte. 46 Go-Go Place re-paint the satellite dish that has their name and logo on it. Ever go down Mahoning Avenue and look at the "SIGN Pollution"? And what about that make-shift mechanics shop on the west side of Rte. 46 just before Norquest Blvd! ....and we're worried about a satellite dish instead of that "rat hole" of a business where the owner jacks up the car and works on it within ten feet of a State Route. Quit picking on the showgirls and start harassing the tattoed-laden guys with wife-beater shirts and hairy arms!

5xytown(63 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Austintown has become Youngstown's ghetto west!!! Take a stroll through Austintown but make sure you lock your doors, carry a weapon, and plan on a front end alignment after your tour...

It would be easier to bull doze Austintown and start over but the ground is so polluted no buddy wants to pay to have it done...

What a place!!!!

6DAL(90 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

In regards to xytown's comment- Austintown is still a nice
place to live. After growing up on the West Side and moving
to Austintown and raising my family in Austintown, there are
more opportunities for our children to be involved in activities that keep them out of trouble. Austintown in no
way has became the "Youngstown Ghetto West". I do agree that there has been some incidents that have occurred, but that happens in many upclass communities, but for some reason Austintown is pinpoint out and has these events make the newspaper.

I find this person comments very rude towards Austintown and
hurtful. What area does he/she live in that they are riding
their high horse so proudly.

7Tugboat(759 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

The paving jobs in Boardman were done in shallow layers and weeks apart and did not include the right-of-ways at intersections. It will be a bumpy mess in a couple of years.
It's cosmetic and another reason Ohio's motto should be "The Good Enough State." What that? Only two half-inch layers? Ahhh, that's 'good enough'....

8apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes, Tugboat, I noticed that too. You're right, it'll be mess probably by next spring.

9Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

xytown.... wow, bitter much? I moved from Struthers to Austintown and I love it here. I hardly need to own a gun, lock my doors and live in fear. My children have a top-notch education and enjoy many extra-curricular activites free from violence. As far as Mahoning Avenue goes , the final estimate for the work came in at greater than a 20% increase from the initial estimate so it was declined. It will get repaired.... our trustees will see to it. I'll bet if you divulge where you live we can dig up the crime stats, too!

10TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the update Mimi2BC on the Mahoning County Commissioner Boulevard (formerly Mahoning Avenue). Unfortunately, the County officials were sitting on their hands early in 2008, and had they bid the project in the Spring of 2008 instead of Late Summer 2008, the price of asphalt per ton would have been 300%, yes 300% cheaper. It is their inept procrastination that led to the fiasco they have now placed the Austintown Township residents in. You wait and see just HOW BAD this main thoroughfare is going to be over the next 6-8 months. My advice, avoid it completely, and I am sympathetic to the Merchants (who should be marching to a Commissioner's Meeting) that have businesses on this route. It just reminds me of an overgrown Silica Road. LOL The right lane from The Fifth Season down to Westgate Pizza is like a Land Mine Field.

11Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Lost... my comments were not meant to start a debate.... it does stink that our road was left in limbo.... my comment was in defense of Austintown.... it is by no means a bad place to live. If the "roads suck" is the worst anyone can come up with, I'll take it. I have the patience to wait it out. There are enough side streets to get from point a to point b until it gets fixed..... and it will..... and yes it will be a holy mess come winter and spring.... I'll keep on avoiding it. Read xytown's comments.... I was defending A-town, he would like to call us the Y-town ghetto! Seriously.... I agree with you on the roads.... but I definetely am not living in Westlake.

12dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I am ready to get out of austintown. Youngstown is starting to leak into my area of town. And I moved into austintown to not have to deal with the things going on in Youngstown. I am hoping to be able to move in a year.

13Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Dmets.... I don't know where you live, but A-town is a good place to live. I have lived in NYC...Hampton, VA...Langley VA...San Antonio,TX...Albuquerque, NM and Adana, Turkey. Trust when I tell you there is far worse out there.

14xytown(63 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

MiMi2bc & DAL... Take a ride through Fountain Square, Compass West, Wedgewood, the 46 & 80 exchange, etc... and tell me A-Town is not becoming a ghetto!

Nice massage parlors though ;)

You can't pass a school levy to save your backside!

Oh yeah check your actual crime stats for the last 2 years.

Wake up, take off the rose colored glasses and look around.

15Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

The massage parlor has been there forever..... it isn't new. Compass West and Fountain Square, big damn deal, 46/80 exchange.... damn that Harley Shop and Quaker Steak for bringing the riff raff to our town for bike runs to benefit children with leukemia! The levy hasn't even been voted on yet.... that's in November. How about you compare the stats for me.... Y-town is worse by a mile. I live in a GREAT neighborhood.... come visit! Give me something that would actually bother me. I noticed you didn't mention where you call home. Don't be bitter because I am happy with where I live.... since you don't live here nevermind about what color glasses I see it through. I like it and that, frankly,is all that matters to me. Have a great day xytown!

16DAL(90 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

xytown-you still haven't mentioned where you live. Why is that? Are you a upperty snob, that seems to judge things
before you know the full truth. As for the comment about Compass West. I have a family member that lives there and there are alot of good people that live there, that are not
ghetto(as how you use this term very freely). Austintown is
a very family friendly community, that take pride in all their accomplishments. So before you start picking a community apart, maybe you need to check in an see how great
your community is!!!!

17LIN(3 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

LostPatrol on your comment about the rathole mechanics shop, I have had my car fixed there for years. They work ten feet from the road because the state took the front of the property to expained Rt. 46. The gentleman that ownes the shop is not tattoed, does not wear wife beater shirts. nor does his employees.

18LIN(3 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

TheLostPatrol Maybe you should patrol were you live because you don't know much about Austintown this is a great place to live. Come visit and find out what we are all about!

19LIN(3 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

OldMangrump You know your right and so do we