Austintown trustees offer fixed rate on gas

Published: Wed, September 10, 2008 @ 12:01 a.m.

Austintown residents will pay less than average for natural gas through a 12-month aggregation program.

AUSTINTOWN — Beginning in October, township residents will be able to heat their homes for a rate of $10.64 per Mcf (per 1,000 cubic feet).

The 12-month fixed rate on natural gas will be available from October 2008 to September 2009 for members of Austintown’s aggregation program, which is supplied by Vectren Source.

Township Administrator Michael Dockry said residents and businesses now enrolled in the program or supplied by Dominion East Ohio will automatically receive the rate unless they choose to opt-out.

“Residents should expect to receive an opt-out notice from Vectren Source in the second week in September,” he said.

Dockry said those who are served by another supplier can join the aggregation program by contacting Vectren Source at (866) 224-7163.

Township Trustee David Ditzler said participation is 100 percent voluntary, but residents seem to prefer it.

The program “appears to be popular with our residents, as participation rates remain high,” he said. “The trustees are pleased to offer this program to our residents as another option in their attempts to manage increasing energy costs.”

Mark Burns, president of Independent Energy Consultants Inc., said his company helps the local government identify and negotiate with suppliers and choose the provider with the lowest cost.

“The whole concept is to put together a large buying group,” he said. “A supplier would provide a lower rate to a big buying group than they would to an individual customer.”

Burns said a resident who chooses to seek out a rate on his or her own would pay an average of $12.40 to $12.70 per Mcf.

1wastepro(47 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Why can't the Canfield Township Trustees do the same. Oh I forgot they are too busy trying to hire their friends and build a administration building that they only want.

2Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Lost... the mailbox and parallel parking comments actually made me laugh! I never really thought about the fact that it's pretty crappy... oh you made my night! And you're right Mahoning is a freakin' nightmare! Have you seen their attempt to fill them? Classic!! I take every possible back route to get where I need to be.... anything to avoid Mahoning Avenue.

3xytown(63 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Austintown has become Youngstown's ghetto west!!! Take a stroll through Austintown but make sure you lock your doors, carry a weapon, and plan on a front end alignment after your tour...

It would be easier to bull doze Austintown and start over but the ground is so polluted no buddy wants to pay to have it done...

What a place!!!!

4Tugboat(759 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

The paving jobs in Boardman were done in shallow layers and weeks apart and did not include the right-of-ways at intersections. It will be a bumpy mess in a couple of years.
It's cosmetic and another reason Ohio's motto should be "The Good Enough State." What that? Only two half-inch layers? Ahhh, that's 'good enough'....

5apollo(1227 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Tugboat, I noticed that too. You're right, it'll be mess probably by next spring.

6Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

xytown.... wow, bitter much? I moved from Struthers to Austintown and I love it here. I hardly need to own a gun, lock my doors and live in fear. My children have a top-notch education and enjoy many extra-curricular activites free from violence. As far as Mahoning Avenue goes , the final estimate for the work came in at greater than a 20% increase from the initial estimate so it was declined. It will get repaired.... our trustees will see to it. I'll bet if you divulge where you live we can dig up the crime stats, too!

7Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Lost... my comments were not meant to start a debate.... it does stink that our road was left in limbo.... my comment was in defense of Austintown.... it is by no means a bad place to live. If the "roads suck" is the worst anyone can come up with, I'll take it. I have the patience to wait it out. There are enough side streets to get from point a to point b until it gets fixed..... and it will..... and yes it will be a holy mess come winter and spring.... I'll keep on avoiding it. Read xytown's comments.... I was defending A-town, he would like to call us the Y-town ghetto! Seriously.... I agree with you on the roads.... but I definetely am not living in Westlake.

8dmets(575 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

I am ready to get out of austintown. Youngstown is starting to leak into my area of town. And I moved into austintown to not have to deal with the things going on in Youngstown. I am hoping to be able to move in a year.

9Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Dmets.... I don't know where you live, but A-town is a good place to live. I have lived in NYC...Hampton, VA...Langley VA...San Antonio,TX...Albuquerque, NM and Adana, Turkey. Trust when I tell you there is far worse out there.

10xytown(63 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

MiMi2bc & DAL... Take a ride through Fountain Square, Compass West, Wedgewood, the 46 & 80 exchange, etc... and tell me A-Town is not becoming a ghetto!

Nice massage parlors though ;)

You can't pass a school levy to save your backside!

Oh yeah check your actual crime stats for the last 2 years.

Wake up, take off the rose colored glasses and look around.

11Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

The massage parlor has been there forever..... it isn't new. Compass West and Fountain Square, big damn deal, 46/80 exchange.... damn that Harley Shop and Quaker Steak for bringing the riff raff to our town for bike runs to benefit children with leukemia! The levy hasn't even been voted on yet.... that's in November. How about you compare the stats for me.... Y-town is worse by a mile. I live in a GREAT neighborhood.... come visit! Give me something that would actually bother me. I noticed you didn't mention where you call home. Don't be bitter because I am happy with where I live.... since you don't live here nevermind about what color glasses I see it through. I like it and that, frankly,is all that matters to me. Have a great day xytown!

12andersonathan(682 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey they got a wal-mart with food, beer and bullets?

13LIN(3 comments)posted 7 years ago

LostPatrol on your comment about the rathole mechanics shop, I have had my car fixed there for years. They work ten feet from the road because the state took the front of the property to expained Rt. 46. The gentleman that ownes the shop is not tattoed, does not wear wife beater shirts. nor does his employees.

14LIN(3 comments)posted 7 years ago

TheLostPatrol Maybe you should patrol were you live because you don't know much about Austintown this is a great place to live. Come visit and find out what we are all about!

15LIN(3 comments)posted 7 years ago

OldMangrump You know your right and so do we

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.