Obama’s economic revitalization plans will benefit Youngstown

Published: Thu, October 30, 2008 @ 12:00 a.m.

When did this election become all about a plumber from Holland, Ohio? To hear John McCain tell it, America is obsessed with the tax status of Joe Wurzelbacher, aka Joe the Plumber.

But I think people in Youngstown and Ohio can see through this charade, to set aside the phony rhetoric and tax fear-mongering to deflect attention away from the myriad economic issues that we are facing. Of course taxes are important — that’s why Barack Obama is proposing to cut taxes on 95 percent of working families, including Joe the Plumber. I fully appreciate, as I am sure Sen. Obama does, the necessity of ensuring that our tax policies do not discourage business investment in tough economic times.

But taxes are not the only concern for the next president. An international credit and housing crisis has been dumped on the back of Ohio’s already troubled economy. The next president is going to need a clear, steady vision for how to resuscitate and revive our economy, both for next year and the next generation.

Barack Obama has the vision we need.

Powerful plans

Sen. Obama has presented detailed, pragmatic and powerful plans to revitalize the economies of older core cities in Ohio and the broader region. John McCain’s plans, such as they are, are misguided. He does not address the unique challenges facing cities like Youngstown, Canton or Dayton.

Global economic forces have severely damaged our cities and towns. Ohio has lost nearly 250,000 manufacturing jobs since 2000. Our city has felt the downturn particularly hard, with about 28 percent of Youngstown’s manufacturing jobs leaving since 2000.

We need jobs tied to economic engines. Barack Obama and Joe Biden have a plan to get Americans back to work at good-paying, steady jobs. There is nothing more important to the economic recovery of Youngstown and Ohio and the nation than making sure anyone who wants a job can get one.

By committing to rebuild America’s roads, transit system, bridges and schools, the Obama-Biden emergency stimulus plan would get one million Americans back to work.

By investing $25 billion immediately in a Jobs and Growth Fund, the Obama administration would make sure that much-needed infrastructure projects remain on track.

This immediate and aggressive investment in our national infrastructure will provide three important benefits: we will create new jobs to help revive our economy in the short-term, we will strengthen our international economic competitiveness by giving corporations a strong infrastructure to build on here in America, and we will improve our environment by making our schools and infrastructure more energy-efficient and less polluting. The city of Youngstown has a successful track record in revitalizing older industrial infrastructure. Our efforts would be greatly expanded with additional targeted investment in these areas.

Creativity

The top priority of an Obama-Biden administration will be to get our economy moving again, not only on Wall Street but on Market Street, Federal Street, Belmont, Oak Street, and Salt Springs Road, here in Youngstown. Barack Obama knows that the single greatest strength of our nation is our creativity and our determination in the face of adversity.

Sen. Obama promises to invest in the skills and ingenuity of Americans by promoting “innovation clusters” — regional centers of innovation and next-generation industries. This is a concept on which I am working closely with Congressman Tim Ryan. To his great credit, Sen. Obama is building off a policy that has already shown tremendous success in cities across the country.

I have seen that success up-close. The Youngstown Business Incubator has helped turn our city into a national hub for business-to-business software. Companies within the Youngstown Business Incubator have been awarded 16 intellectual property patents, developed 19 new commercial software applications, created over 170 new jobs, recruited customers in 44 foreign countries, translated their products and support materials into eight languages, and won the prestigious Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year award. We are already training entrepreneurs and other young people to get them good jobs in this emerging industry.

I can cite examples of other companies in Youngstown such as FireLine, City Machine Technologies, M-7 Technologies, Brilex, Exal and Northern States Metals, just to name a few, that have figured out how to excel in a global market place. These are models of “next generation” companies that will help to define the economy of the City of Youngstown, the Mahoning Valley, and even the state of Ohio. These are the type of companies, amongst others, that we will continue to work with to help ensure they benefit from an Obama/Biden economic policy.

Steady and sure hand

None of us knows how long this economic crisis will last. But we do know we need a steady and sure hand to guide us through to the other side. Barack Obama and Joe Biden have shown they have the commitment and the cutting-edge policies to help Ohio and the nation emerge from this crisis not only intact, but more stable and competitive.

X Jay Williams is in his first term as mayor of Youngstown.

Comments

1andersonathan(669 comments)posted 6 years ago

Every Democrat that Loved RFK. Ought to read the whole article.
"Prairie Fire" was written and dedicated to Sirhan Sirhan among others.

2Shamus(6 comments)posted 6 years ago

As for the economy, I think Youngstown should tell the rest of the country, welcome to what started here in Youngstown thirty years ago. Talk about companies folding, please, jobs, getting out sourced, please, real estate, and home crisis, please. Welcome home to Youngstown, America. These problems have been the status quo in Youngstown since 1977. Let the rest of America see how it feels to have your kids grown up and have leave home because there is no work locally for them.

Every four years I see the same thing happen, candidates come to Youngstown feed the same line of poop, about I'm gonna bring back jobs, I'll lower your taxes, I'll save your home.

I can't really speak for what it is like locally in Youngstown, because we left in 1980, I know my dad's mill the Youngstown Sheet & tube switch hands twice before he was let go after 32 years, in 1982. I've kept up with local happening for a few years now, it seems the Youngstown is leading the way in showing America the right way to clean up a shrinking town. I guess there is some revitalization going on in the downtown area, and I'm happy to see that.

My point is this, it just makes my heart sick to see my hometown be used as campaign stump to feed America a bunch of BS about making things better.

Of the two candidates I think Obama's plan will work the best, McSames sounds just like that four more years of Bush. Another rich white guy looking out for other rich white guys. Obama looks a lot more like Youngstown, mixed, and he know what racial hatred looks like from both sides, b.s.

To the last poster, there are so many hole and false b.s. in that link you've posted, you might as well use it as a new screen window.

You can cover dog poop with syrup, but that don't make it pancakes, you might as well come out and stump for McSame and stop posting a bunch b.s.

3Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 6 years ago

The above is factually incorrect. Senator Obama claims to raise taxes on those earning over $250K, and cutting taxes on those earning below $200K. If you're married, the threshold for a tax increase is lower per person. Of course, this week Senator Biden suggested that tax increases may affect those earning above $150K. Senator Obama has previously voted for tax increases on anyone earning over $42K.

Senator Obama cares for Youngstown as much as he cares about his multiple family members living in squallor in Kenya (his half-brother) and his aunt in Boston.

Senator Obama represents change, that is if you think another Jimmy Carter term is change. These are the same high taxes on productivity that led to high unemployment and inflation under President Carter (the misery index). Of course, Democratic President Carter presided over Black Monday, and left Youngstown for dead.

Youngstown voters see the neglect of the Dems leadership every time they walk the streets of Y-town, and read about Youngstown's #14 crime ranking nationwide.

For Youngstown, voting for Democrats is voting for more the same.

4cambridge(3049 comments)posted 6 years ago

nonsocialist:

Just so I know who I'm taking advice from, who did you vote for in the last two presidential elections?

5andersonathan(669 comments)posted 6 years ago

He gets by with a little help from his friends.

Khalidi, Rezko, Ayers, Dorn, ACORN, Wright, Phleger, Odinga, Democracy Alliance, George Soros, Frank Marshall Davis, New Party, Auchi.

Yes Obama will bring a better Muslim and socialist US of A or is that the US of KKKA.

And if that don't "Change" you mind, Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Reid, Franks, Schumer, Kerry. Should "Change" your mind.

Of course thing you will never hear on MSM [main street media]

One of Obama's cuts is to eliminate GSL's for students.

It is in the works to take your 401k's and put that money into a sister account of Social Security collecting 3% interest. If you put 5 percent of what you make into it. As a bonus you will get a $5-600 annual check. The payoff will be distributed like Social Security in 500 dollar amounts till depleted. A 45% inheritance tax if pasted on. Of course you will subject to the penalties. Most likely 10% to start with to move it and of course later.

Grant it it is not a tax hike. But pulling out every one's 401k's out of the market out of investors hands into a Government controlled savings system. Might be a hint of the projected 1.3 trillion in new social programs and where the money is coming from. But I don't think anyone would ever take money from Social Security or a Sister program to fund some thing would they? I also do not think the market will be to happy with the move.

Another Government controlled wealth plan?

Google Obama 401k or Democrats 401k

McCain Palin 08

6cambridge(3049 comments)posted 6 years ago

Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Reid, Franks, Schumer, Kerry 08!

7JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

Anders...

Do you just paste the same diatribe each time you post a message? Your posts are about as coherent as Cindy McCain after ingesting a fistful of prescription meds stolen from a charity. That was a long time ago though, right?

(Incidentally I do think Pelosi is probably the least effective Speaker of my lifetime, perhaps ever, and feel that she is going to be a barrier to progress as long as she remains in her current capacity.)

8DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 6 years ago

It is time to stop the rhetoric and accept the future. Obama will win, although it may be a little closer than the polls suggest. Dubya and the economy have solidified the next four years for the dems. The political cycle is changing as is does every decade or so. It is time to start planning for the future based on what you think Obama will bring to the table.
There may be income tax reductions to those making less than 250K. I have no issue with this as I make exactly $249,999.00 after my deductions. Obama will almost certainly raise the capital gains tax, and he has already stated that this is likely. He really has no choice if he wants to implement his plan. The amounts to be spent are record breaking. I would also expect an increase in local sales taxes, tobacco and alcohol tax, federal estate taxes, and the corporate tax. I haven't heard one politician speak on attacking the tax gap in this country. If that issue were addressed we could all see lower tax rates. This is apparently taboo for politicians however. It makes too much sense for them act on it.
When the capital gains rate goes up, tax revenues from this tax go down based on historical data. Economic growth will also slow down as investment capital will decline and employers see their taxes go up. History has proven this.
As for the plan to develop more jobs in the US, we will have to wait and see. Globalization of industry is happening rapidly and has been for some time. Bill Clinton's best move as president was probably signing NAFTA and allowing China into the free trade arena. This may sound ludicrous but our economy would be in much worse shape if he hadn't. He gave the country an opportunity to plan and implement business strategies to combat the inevitable. We would have been in much more trouble had he not done that.
San Fran Nan would reschedule a senate meeting before she missed a botox appointment. I am sure of it. I am also pretty sure she shares the same prescription for valium that Cindy uses. Scary, scary woman. How in the world can you lead a congress that has lower ratings than dubya? It borders on the absurd.
As for Youngstown, I am curious to see who the scapegoat is over the next four years. The problems of the valley are so localized that no state or federal acts can change this. As the country has fluctuated in and out of economic booms and busts over the last 4 decades, Youngstown has only seen decline. This should be enough evidence that the area has resisted the opportunity and mandate to change while most of the nation has already. What is really fascinating is that the same policies and leaders keep receiving the power year after year.

9Shamus(6 comments)posted 6 years ago

i agree with Jeff, Anders... is just copy pasting straight from the republican play-book, where if you say it enough times it makes it truth,
Acorn and Obama, are not connected the way that the right wing want people to believe, but never the less they will continue to state it till some not so well informed person believes it.
the Ayers connection, has been answered by Obama campaign, no connection like Anders... would have you believe.
All the negative campaigning by the republicans is from the same b.s. mill that gave us the swift boat attacks against Kerry in 04.
Again according to the republican party playbook if they make a claim for something enough times and have online post to back up there false claims with enough garbage in the text to bore you into not reading it all, it makes it true.
if you listen them, tell it, it's the moon that shines so bright during the day and not the sun and they have links that say so.

10andersonathan(669 comments)posted 6 years ago

This was sent in by a reader, so I thought I would share it with you:

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign the read
“Vote Obama, I need the money.” I laughed. Once in the restaurant my
server was wearing a “Obama 08′ tie, again I laughed–just imagine the
coincidence.
When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him
that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood
there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his
tip to someone who I deemed more in need–the homeless guy outside. The
server angrily stormed from my sight.
I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server
inside as I’ve decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was
grateful. At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I
realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but
the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even
though the actual recipient needed the money more.

I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept
than in practical application.

11cuttygirl(1 comment)posted 6 years ago

I see today where the polls have McCain with a 2 point lead over Obama in Ohio. I often wonder what people are thinking. How many times does one have to get hit over the head with a baseball bat before yelling "STOP"? How many times does one have to get suckered by Republican bullcrap about higher taxes and socialism? Do Ohioans really believe that Republican policies, i.e.trickle down economics, have been good for them? Well, trickle down economics is warm and it's yellow. I, for one, am sick and tired of getting pissed on. Are we all living the good life here in Ohio after all the business closings and layoffs? What are the Reps doing to get business back here in Ohio? Boehner's been a big help, hasn't he? We all have to realize that these people don't give a hoot about us for three and a half years, then come begging for votes and talking about how they understand our problems. Well, I don't want their understanding. I want somebody to do something to promote growth of business here in Ohio. I will be voting for Obama because I really think he gets it. He's on my side, just like his mother was on the side of the disenfranchised. He learned her lessons very well. And I don't have to get hit on the head one more time to know that Republicans = warm and yellow. Vote Obama.

12andersonathan(669 comments)posted 6 years ago

So you want to try trickle down taxes. And when the bush tax cuts stop you want to revert back to the old ones? You might want to check into Bushes tax rates you will find by giving Big Bussness tax breaks the make more money, reinvest and make more money and get taxed more money. And more people have fallen into higher tax rate, then paying more taxes. It is a very big country I can not help it if the democrats have driven this area into the ground. I77 from Cleveland to Columbus is booming take a right and head towards Indianapolis it is doing very well.
Now I hear about a green tax on clean coal, Obama will look into offshore drilling? He is anti nuclear. WTF

13Stan(9923 comments)posted 6 years ago

Obama will do as much for Youngstown as Bill Clinton. Long live the Clinton legacy!

THE MAN,THE LEGACY,THE LEGEND !

14clayor(281 comments)posted 6 years ago

This is all BS......been there, done that , seen that, it will NEVER happen, nothing happens here

15fleeytown(12 comments)posted 6 years ago

With GM now set to layoff 1100 workers, only 300 less than they brought in when they reopened third shift, Obama would have to create tens of thousands of jobs in the Mahoning Valley in order to stave off what could turn into the worst economic times the city of Youngstown has ever seen. Even worse than black monday. When will people learn that increased government spending will not solve the problems facing the economy. small government and allowing people to keep more of what they make would solve the economic mess.

16Stan(9923 comments)posted 6 years ago

Private wealth has been the backbone of America. Lets not break it with oppressive taxation.

NEITHER GOVERNMENT NOR A POOR MAN HAS NEVER GIVEN ME A JOB !