Dogs at kennel found dead || GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Published: Thu, October 23, 2008 @ 8:16 a.m.

Nitro Foundation

- External Site -

The owner said he loves his dogs but couldn’t afford to feed them during the recent hard economic times.

STAFF REPORT

YOUNGSTOWN — A professional sign in front of High Caliber K-9 advertising the services it offers was in stark contrast to the dead and starving dogs found in the backyard of the dog kennel.

The business at 1516 Coitsville-Hubbard Road promotes itself as a center for dog training, grooming and boarding.

It also offers “doggie day care,” underground fencing, dog importing and stud service.

Kyle Ziegler and Joe Borosky, Animal Charity humane agents, went to the business Wednesday afternoon after a woman called and complained that she couldn’t get her dog back from the man operating the place. The agents knocked but no one answered, so they got permission to look from the next-door neighbor’s backyard.

What they saw moved them to call police.

“We found seven dead and eight skinny, neglected dogs,” Borosky said. “We’re filing 15 counts of animal cruelty and animal neglect against the owner.”

Records show the business is operated by Steve Croley. He was expected to be arraigned today in municipal court.

Croley came out of his house when police arrived and was placed in the back of a cruiser to be questioned.

When asked if Croley had any explanation for dead and starving dogs, Borosky quoted the kennel operator as saying: “Times are hard, I can’t afford to feed them. I love my dogs.”

Borosky said Croley had four dogs of his own in the house — three German shepherds and a small mixed-breed. He said all are skinny.

Animal Charity, the humane agent said, is taking the position that the 15 dogs in the kennel area are not Croley’s.

All live dogs found on the property — including those from inside the house — will be at Animal Charity on South Avenue for the time being, Borosky said.

Borosky said anyone who had a dog at High Caliber K-9 should call Animal Charity at (330) 788-1064 to claim their animal.

“Even if their dog is dead, people have a right to know,” he said.

After taking the dogs, staff at Animal Charity found the animals were in worse condition than first believed. Some were aggressive against staff because of starvation, he said.

“For the safety of the animal, we’re not going to release the dogs until we’re sure they’re healthy,” Borosky said.

Ziegler said it’s not clear how long ago the seven dogs died. The veterinarian at Animal Charity would know more after post-mortem exams, he said.

The dead dogs included Doberman pinschers, pit bulls and two German shepherds, Borosky said.

Borosky said the eight remaining dogs, German shepherds, Dobermans, a mastiff and pit bull puppy, are barely alive, just skin and bones, and that four of them “might not make it.”

There was a little water in the kennel area and some food that had turned to “mush,” Ziegler said.

Comments

1ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

This is an outrage. This man can not blame the economy for starving these poor animals to death. We don't have many organizations but we do have some that could have helped him. He loved these dogs? Well he had a real nice way of showing it. We need to come down hard on this man, he needs to be punished to the full extent of the law and maybe starved himself! Ohio needs to classify these types of crimes a felony! Put the jerk in Prison.

2woody44(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Put in him prison and treat him in his cage like he treated those dogs. STARVE HIM!!! See how he loves it

3JMamo121(14 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree that this kind of thing needs to be told to the public, but GRAPHIC PHOTOS in all CAPS??? Seriously??? It makes the newspaper look like a 'kind' bunch of individuals. (Sarcasm intended)

4mad263(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

As a society of supposedly 'evolved' human beings, how much longer are we going to tolerate this type of cruelty to God's creatures? Anyone who harms, starves, or abuses ANY animal should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Have we learned anything from the Vicks incident? If he had no money to feed these animals why did he take them on and what did he do with the money the owners gave him to board them pets? If this jerk gets off with anything less than a prison sentence, the residents of every surrounding community need to rise up and demand justice!!!!!

5Ak4pets(3 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I am originally from Ohio and now live in Alaska. I have a couple questions for the state law officals to ponder on. Was Mr Croleys bones sticking out from starvation due to these "hard times"? Did he have running water and food in his cupboards? Did he have a dry place to sleep and room to move around.? Funny how these hard times did not subject him to inadaqute living huh? As long as people have full bellies, warm beds and a roof over their heads and a dog roped in their back yard or stuffed in tight quarters, they call themselves pet owners. People, if you can not supply love, care, and companionship for Gods creatures-do not have one.!! My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these 4 legged companions. I hope you all and the community rally together to get animal abuse, neglect, and cruelity lawed to where the responsible parties miss a bunch of meals also as they sit and rot in the local prison. Dogs are people too. They need us to protect them. Joann

6thinktwice(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Ok, first of all none of you know the whole situation. All you are reading is what the newspaper is reporting. Trust me when I say there is a lot of things the public will never understand about this specific case. I totally agree that every animal in this world should have a good life and treated very well. I have 4 pets and love and care for them as if they were my children, but please do not just believe what you are reading. I know this situation on a personal level and to the person that asked was "Was Mr Croleys bones sticking out from starvation due to these "hard times"? Did he have running water and food in his cupboards? Did he have a dry place to sleep and room to move around?" Let me tell you Mr. Croley's life at this time is and has been for a while the most horrible life you can think of. I do believe that he needs to pay for what he has done and yes he already is. All I am saying is what we need to do with these situations is pray.........pray hard and NOT believe everything you read!!!! Also to those of you that are saying to starve him like these dogs were starved SHAME ON YOU!!! What would God want us to do in times like these???? Best of luck to the living dogs and owners of all these animals and yes even to Mr. Croley!!!!!

7jan(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

i also left my dog there 3 times, once this yr, she was skinny when i picked her up but i thought it was becouse she missed us and didnt eat!i left a bag of dog food every time, now it makes sense.

8haman633(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Well I also know Mr.Croley. My husband and I call him Steve.
He is a very good man very well rounded and does care for his animals more than alot of people I have seen.
I bought 2 of my dogs from him that were in great shape when I got them and them came from wonderful blood lines they are german shepards. And just bought another. He is a good man and I also know for one as does the other person that posted a comment that he was going threw a very hard time right now and trying to get back on his feet. He also was great with my dogs they were trained wonderfuly with him and for pennies because he would take what he could get because things were that bad and still are. I was unable to pay him like I used to for training for my dogs so he took 25 dollars a session instead of 500 dollars up frount like he would if he was doing great.I think he is a wonderful man and just got stuck between a rock and a hard place with life. ( like we all do ) I do feel that he should face whatever is coming to him but I also think that people should look at the good he has done for families and people like me when times got rough. So Steve I wish you the best of luck! my prayers are with you... Love Amanda & B.j

9tiger(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I think this so terrible!!! For what he did to those dogs the same thing should be done to him! I hope he gets jail time for a long time!! He said he loved his dogs BULL CRAP!!Now I have those photos stuck into my mind... I love ALL animals. Those poor dogs...

10momofsrl701(4 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Are you kidding me? Why didn't this guy call other kennels in the area? Most of them around here are very reputable. Yes, he may have gotten a little criticism for owning a business that he couldn't really afford to have to begin with, but how many people would have been more concerned with that than losing their four-legged family members? This makes me sick!!!

11XFilesX(77 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, to all of you who KNOW him...I had dealings with him too. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, VERY UNDEPENDABLE, VERY SHADY. I thank God every day that I never let my dog get mixed up with his man. Just as there is NO EXCUSE for child abuse or endangerment, there is NO EXCUSE for this. NONE. For those of you who are saying we don't know the whole story, we don't need to. Nor do we care to. It's quite clear from the laid out van he drove and the expensive website he pays for that he had other priorities than those poor dogs. When you are a responsible adult and you fall on hard times, you do the right thing. And the right thing would have been to take care of the dogs. If he could not have do so, send the dogs back to their owners, sell his or give them to someone who could take care of them and SHUT THE BUSINESS DOWN. END OF STORY. You were unable to pay for your lessons? He worked with you. How sweet. How nice your dog isn't dead. But 7 are. Remember that.

12melissa812004(5 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I think this story is so sad. You would have to be out of your right mind to sit there and just let a dog starve to death. I have 5 cats,2 turtles, and an iguana and my husband is the only one that works. We have hard times too. All the time and we would never let our animals starve to death.

13specialkisskel(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

This guy needs put in a cage and not given food and water, just as he deprived these dogs of food and water. If the punishment was made to actually fit the crime, maybe people would quit doing some of the things they do. These dogs had a chance, all he had to do was ask for help. There are enough pet lovers in this area that would have dropped off food or even taken the animals in. He is lazy and useless and just didn't care. I wonder if he went without food, being "times are hard." Even letting the dogs loose would have been better because their natural instinct would have been for them to look for food. Someone would have found them and taken them in or to the shelter. The legal system needs to be firm on animal abusers.

14bink(7 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

He had alot of cash he sucked out of his custermers !!! HE smokes crack.YOU LEAVE DOGS LIKE THAT REAL PRO ! We feed are dogs before we eat. you have to have water for them all the time that allmost free! what was you thinking steve? I KNOW YOU LOVE YOUR DOGS!!

15ashleya77(3 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I cant believe that someone would do this to helpless animals. If he couldnt aford them they he should have asked for help. And i completely agree, the same thing should be done to him, lock him in a kennel and strave him. He'll know exactly how those dogs last days were spent, he only loves animals now because he knows hes in deep s*** for what he did, if he gets off for something like this there is seriously something wrong with the justice system.

16ytownsteelman(628 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

To those of you who know this man personally tell us the story. Tell us about his hard times and how they kept him from feeding these dogs or calling their owners and giving them back. Tell us so we can understand how we are to accept skeletons of dogs in kennels next to dogs barely alive. There is no excuse for his actuions and I have no respect for people who want to try to defend this man.

17ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

For those of you who know him so well, why didn't he ask you for help then. I dropped food and supplies off to animal charity this weekend. The list was 2 pages long, that's how many people brought in supplies. NEVER be too proud to ask for help, we do have allot of animal lovers in this community who would have helped him. HE HAS NO EXCUSE to why 7 dogs died and 12 others were in the condition they were. He could have connected the owners, I am sure they would have picked up their pets instead of finding out they were murdered or well on their way to death. Save the boo hoo lines. Times are tough for lots of people.

18liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Contact info for the prosecutor:
Joseph "Jay" R. Macejko
PHONE: 330.742.8791
FAX: 330.742.8794

Email for the Judge's (Judge Robert A. Douglas, Jr.) assistant:
lblum@turningpointcs.com

Contact info for the Ohio State Attorney General (Nancy H. Rogers):
PHONE: 877-244-6446
WEBSITE CONTACT FORM:

It doesn't do any good to talk to each other--tell it to the people in the court system!

19ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

My letters and calls will be sent to the appropiate people also. This man can NOT get away with this! EVERYONE speak up!!!

20ytown9999(55 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Complain all you want, the Skelton equine case proves the prosecutors here could give a damn less about animal cruelty cases. Nothing will come of this.

21ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I am sure you are right, which is very sad, once again Y-town is known for something bad and our political people doing nothing to make it right.

22liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Well I wont stop fighting. Please send your letters and comments.

23ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Already did. I wish you good luck!!!

24jackie051661(3 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I believe the Humane Agents acted properly. They witnessed the animals in clear danger and acted promptly and appropriately. The men and women employed by animal charities and their volunteers put their heart and sole into protecting and taking care of all animals. I feel that the story line should be about the animals they found dead and the animals they rescued alive and the person that created that situation - not persecuting the Humane Agents for doing their jobs. What would you have done if you were called to that seen? I know I would have jumped over the fence or whatever possible to help the animals. Waiting for the prosecutor to get a search warrant would not have taken an hour - not in Youngstown!! We need to protect Animal Charity, their Humane Officers, the endangered animals. A petition needs to be implemented to do this and prosecute on all 19 charges.

25XFilesX(77 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I have send e-mail to the judge's assistant, I have contacted the Attorney General's office, and again, I have e-mailed the copies of these stories to FoxNews, MSNBC and CNN. Where is the petition? I'm ready to sign!

26lilly214(8 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

First I want to to say to liztom I'm so sorry for your loss, but why didn't you insist upon going to get your dog.
Second this worthless piece of a human being didn't have money to feed these animals, that's a bs line if I've ever heard one. There is lots of help out there, you need to look for it and act upon it.He chose not to so now these owners of these dogs are left with nothing, only horrible pics of their animals last days. It's disgusting, period. I only work in y-town not even from there but this story really has got to me. I just don't get how this man could look at these animals everyday and think that what was happening was ok. He claims he lovess his animals Bull----!!!You don't starve animals like that. I just can't believe that someone didn't notice something was amiss with this place sooner.Hope all owners get a chance to ask this person why he did it.

27liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I am working on the petition and letters.

28Fionn(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Firstly my deepest sympathy to all who have lost thier dogs.

I can't believe anyone could wish this monster good luck, would they be so quick to do so if it was one of their own much loved pets? I don't think so.

I feel sick to the stomach having viewed those photos, I mean why did he not contact the owners of these dogs I would think they would have been glad to go and bring their pets homes and glady have let him keep the fees he had already had up front I know i would have rather lost a few hundred than one of my beautiful boys. This i find totally unforgiveable. In my humble opinion this man did not care less for these dogs, how anyone could leave these poor defenceless dogs to starve in front of there eyes as he did is sick in the head. I mean he stood by and watched it daily did he not , but maybe his idea of being a caring and loving human being is different to mine.

I wish you all the best in your fight to bring this sorry excuse of a human to justice.

29ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

any letters or petitions you have I will sign and know many more who will. Keep all of us concerned pet owners updated.

30liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Please visit our website for more information. Thank you for everyones comments, Im working on the petition now.

31liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I have new information for the judge, please contact him.

Judge Robert A. Douglas, Jr.
Youngstown Municipal Court
265 Phelps Street
Youngstown, Ohio 44503
PHONE: 330.742.8857
FAX: 330.742.8725

32metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

If thse were people they surely would not have drped the case and what about probable cause? if they suspect sometihng si going on they can jsut come right in,like someone screming,gunshots,etc. Oh,thats' only for police I take it. that should change.

33max340pug(11 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

haman 633, you need to rethink your comment! I wonder how wonderful youd think this murderer is if one of these poor abused souls was your dog. Im amazed at your lack of empathy...

34Eric(196 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

metz, there was no screaming or gunshots. Let's look at the facts as they are presented.

35anthonyj(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

This is horrific.

It's about time the State enacts stiff laws that ALL facilities, including boarding, veterinary, and pet retailers be inspected on a regular basis and cited if warranted.

Contact all your local, state, and federal officials to take action now. Follow up and keep this going.

Some locally needs to start an action group via this forum to follow thru on this..

36liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Petition and sample letters are up on our website.

Also petition can be found here

Thanks for your support.

37lilly214(8 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I jsut signed the petition and I strongly encourage all that have posted on this site to PLEASE do the same, it will help liztom reach their goal. All in memory of 7 dogs who were someones pet and companion, who didn't deserve to leave this earth the way they did, at the hands of one very horrible man!!!!

38liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Thank you lilly - PLEASE also send a letter.

39metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Well of course not Eric but still I am sure they could have smeeld death and ths ahd t be going on for a long time.

40rosiepru(4 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

This man is not a good man.(To the person that wrote he is ).Your a sick piece of work. Hey, Mr K9 dog killer ,YOU Deserve,No food No water put in a Cage AND LEFT FOR DEAD.I love my dogs i would feed them before i would eat... Im going to do all i can to see to it. You pay the price for your crime.I am going to go to the court Talk to everyone I know.And make no mistake i am not anonymous.There are so many loving Good people in Youngstown/Warren.Angels for animals would of given Dog food.Im sure you know there is No Excuse For This Man Actions.This is Abuse This is one of the Cruelest ways to die.Our animals are God's sent and our Best Friends.CALL THE COURT CALL JUDGE ROBERT DOUGLAS JR AT 330-742-8857 THESE ANIMALS CANT SPEAK..IT IS ARE JOB ,OUR LOVE FOR THEM, ARE DUTY TO STAND AND FIGHT FOR THEM AND THAT MEANS -TAKE IT TO THE COURTS. IT'S TIME PEOPLE THAT DO THESE MEAN THING'S PAY THE PRICE.GOD BLESS THE DOGS THAT HAVE LOST THERE LIVES DUE TO HIS CRIME.MY HEART IS WITH THE PEOPLE THAT LOST THERE LOVE ONES,DUE TO THIS HEARTLESS MAN...MY PRAYERS ARE WITH THE DOGS THAT WERE LUCKY ENUFF TO MAKE IT OUT OF THAT HELL--------ALIVE. ROSE M PRUNESKI from WARREN,OHIO

41mmyorkies(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

To think twice,

If you know about this situation on a personal stance, then maybe you can tell us why on earth the man did not contact the owners and have them come and get their dogs, rather than letting them starve to death. Especially when he had already been paid in advance for their care. There is no excuse in the world for this type of treatment to any of God's creatures. To cage an animal in an enclosure and not provide some kind of food or water is simply unexcuseable. I feel that he knew exactly what he was doing and just did not care.......... What a poor excuse for a human being.

42luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

How can any human being do this to a living creature? This Steve Croley is a Jeffery Dahmer or a Charles Manson. If you look Steve Croley in the eyes you would be looking at the DEVIL himself for what he did to those poor defenseless animals locked up in their death chambers because of the selfishness of one sick and demented individual. How can this person ever look himself in the mirror. I hope they throw away the key on this B*****D! He should rot in HELL! I wrote my letters and signed the petition - I'll be at the court house on Nov. 13th. If we keep doing nothing - nothing will ever change.

43pamewame(48 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Now is the time for the issue of animal rights to be taken very seriously. Nitro and the other dogs that were killed and the ones that were near death when they were found need to be the major issue here. They were innocent, living breathing beings. They cant protect themselves and it is our responsibility to make sure that happens. If Steve Croley is allowed to get by with a bad boy dont do it again verdict what kind of message does that send out to the rest of the demented crazies out there that continue to do what he did. The prosecutor and judge must step up to the plate and do the right thing. How much more imminient danger does a dog have to be in to be seen as needing immediate intervention??? If not now then when?? We just cannot turn a blind eye to the the issue here...the beautiful furkids of people that loved them very much...does that not mean anything in this world??? Justice has to be served and those that lost their lives must be honored.

44Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm literally sick to my stomach! I cannot begin to imagine the suffering these poor animals had to endure. I will write a letter and sign the petition. Sadly, there isn't a punishment harsh enough for this man.

45Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

BTW - the "dobermanns" were NOT Dobermanns!!
They were ROTTWEILERS!!

THAT is how badly-starved they were!!!!!!!!!!

46jackie051661(3 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

signed petition and wrote letter. anything else i can do?

47animallover(86 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I think this whole thing is absolutely disgusting.

How this man could feed some animals and not others is beyond words. And how could he say that he had no money. He ate, his dogs ate, AND WATER IS FREE!

I signed the petition and wrote the letters. Please do the same. Justice must be served and this man deserves to be in jail (amongst other things).

48arftoschool(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

There is no excuse in the world for this atrocity. Instead of the locals trying to look for a reason why this happened, their energies would be better spent on obtaining justice. Without justice this story paint a very backwards picture of Ohio and how they handle matters of abuse. Many New Yorkers up North are turning their noses up at Ohio right now. Local politicians need to step up to the plate or else the state they are running for won't be worth a hill of beans.

49Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

As pamewame points out, how much danger DOES a living creature have to be in, before action is taken???
What if a group of children had been spotted, emaciated and crying in blazing sunlight, from the other side of a locked gate or fence??
And if the "Law" had been followed to the letter in such an instance, do you not think that there would have been a monumental hue and cry over this outrage??
Yet because this was dogs, those who deem themselves "educated" in the laws of this State, have let all compassion and human decency fly out of the window, it seems.
And the sad thing is - they think they are actually in the right!!!!!!!!
I am not from your country.
But oh boy!! am I glad I do not have to admit to being a citizen of Ohio!!
SHAME on your State Laws!!!!

50luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

it's almost bedtime for me and what do i think of after a hard day at work? these poor innocent animals. I think of them when I eat, I think of them when I am cozy in my bed, I think of them when I drink a glass of water. How can we not? How could a person do this? What kind of society are we? How can our laws permit him to get away with this? What can we do to prevent this from ever happening again?
If we do nothing - nothing will change.

51Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Luvsdogs, I am the same....
I have this unreal feeling too; that it's all like a kind of bad dream that we will all wake up from.
How I wish it were!!
Similar things have happened before, all over the world. And each time, the perpetrators get a rap on the knuckels and nothing ever DOES change.
WHEN will our society/legal system learn this??
If Cowly knew beyond doubt that he would spend even a week locked up and chained to a wall with dry bread and putrid water all week, wouldn't he think twice before neglecting animals even to the point of their being hungry and thirsty!
But he knews that Human Life counts above ALL else in this crazy society...and that it is evidently viewed by the Law that it's better to allow the murder of dogs to go unpunished, than to invade somebody's private house where those murders are in the process of taking place!!!!
Civil liberty is a travesty!!!
What happened to the poor dogs' civil liberty in all this??
Why are THEY not entitled to live, just so that a murderer should not get his gate lock broken and his property entered!!!

As always, it is the victim who suffers doubly. From both the perpetrators AND from the Legal System that is supposed to be protecting victims!!

52pamewame(48 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

It makes me wonder if the "legal system" isnt being used as an excuse to not do the right thing. I continue to be saddened by this whole situation. My heart breaks every time I think of the suffering Nitro and the other dogs went thru. Is there not justice for them??????

53Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I have no idea why this law is being adhered to so blatantly, in the face of this APPALLING act, indeed series of acts, on the part of this monster!!!
Does somebody stand to gain something by letting this cretin roam free with just a slap on the wrist???

54pamewame(48 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Maite...thats a very good question...it would not be a far reach for this to be the truth. It definitely would not be the first time something like this has happened. Will we ever know the whys and hows...maybe not. What I do know is that we cannot let up in our effort to find justice for Nitro and all the other dogs that have died and those that are still suffering from the effects of the abuse they endured.

55Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Contact info for the Ohio State Attorney General (Nancy H. Rogers):
PHONE: 877-244-6446
WEBSITE CONTACT FORM:

...Liz, the above website is not the complete link. I tried to get into it and there is something missing at the end of this link that means I cannot get in.

Can you try posting it again, please??

56liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

57liztom(28 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

i just tried it and it works - ty maite.

58Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks! - got it!
I was copy-pasting instead of clicking on the link itself - my error!

Thank you.

59animallover(86 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I have been following this story and I still dont understand why the charges have been dropped? I wonder why they havent questioned the wife or the home owner. I wonder why they havent gotten a warrant and searched his house??

Something isnt being done correctly

60sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

animallover,they didnt have a warrant to go in an save those poor dogs. kinda lame,if you ask me. The officers did what they felt needed to be done,get the dogs out as fast as they can.

61pamewame(48 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Evidently the prosecutor does not see the urgency of dogs starving and dying. How much more ungent does it have to be for action to be taken. The Animal Charity agents saw the urgency and took the steps necessary to try and save those that were still alive and give dignity to the ones already gone.

62Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Today in my newspaper there was an article.

A 3-year-old child has been killed through neglect and starvation by her parents.
The mother has been JAILED for 12 years. The stepfather, for 4 years I believe.

Their crime??

They left one child without food and water for 20 hours.

Croley left up to 19 dogs, living breathing furchildren of other caring loving people, without food and water for obviously a lot longer than 20 DAYS.

SO CAN WE EXPECT THE PUNISHMENT HERE TO BE IN SIMILAR PROPORTION TO THE CRIME COMMITTED??

And if not - WHY NOT???

63GSD(22 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

First let us say to Nitro’s family and those who lost their pets you have our deepest sympathy. We know what it is like to loose a pet though never in the tragic way you did. We can’t even begin to imagine how awful this is for you.
We too want to see this man held accountable for what he has done. There is no excuse for what happened. He should be punished.
But I haven’t heard anyone mention any concern about the dogs at Animal Charity. I think many people are of the impression that the rescued dogs are safe and sound at Animal Charity. I was. They are not.
I know someone who called Animal Charity in Youngstown to ask the welfare of these dogs. This person asked what would happen if the dogs become aggressive and was told they would be put down. As a matter of fact it appears from one blog that one of these poor creatures has already been destroyed because it got aggressive. Rescued only to be destroyed. The tragedy continues. This person was told by Animal Charity that once a dog becomes aggressive there is no other choice. This statement it totally false. Aggressive dogs can be rehabilitated. Case in point. Mike Vick’s dogs have been rehabilitated even to the point where some of them have been adopted out to good homes.
Youngstown, are you aware that your Animal Charity does not have a “NO KILL” policy regarding rescued dogs? Are you happy with this? I know they mean well, but it is time for them to come out of the dark ages and realize there is a better way. If they don’t have the skill or expertise to rehabilitate aggressive dogs there are organizations who do, and they will help. Everyday I agonize over how many more of these beautiful, and from what I understand, marvelously trained animals will be destroyed.
Please, I beg your Animal Charity, DON”T destroy these beautiful dogs. Please change your policy. You can contact this organization, http://www.bestfriends.org/dogtown/. They were able to rehabilitate Mike Vick’s dogs. Please, call Animal Charity, don’t let them continue the tragedy. Knowing that Youngstown’s Animal Charity does not have a NO KILL policy I would never call them to rescue any animal for fear it would only be destroyed anyway.

64luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Have you seen the latest on the Nitrofoundation website? It seems there is a lady looking for her dog. It states name "Devil" a 4 year old gsd - black with white patch on chest. The dog was at High Caliber K9 but not found at Animal Charities. If anyone has any information, please give her a call.

My prayers are with Devil that he is alive and well and his Mom that he is returned safely and healthy. xoxoxoxoxoxo.....

65luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

GSD no I personally didn't know this - of course there are organizations that could rehabilitate these dogs if aggressive. I'm thinking though, are they aggressive because of what they have been through, after all, they have been abused, neglected, locked up, not feed, no water, not cleaned up after, not cared or loved for and subjected to possibly living next to a deceased kennel mate(s). They are probably terrorized out of their minds - I know I would be, wouldn't you? Who knows what else this monster did to them - I can only imagine.

66Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I just found the thread on Nitro Foundation about Devil, and replied there.
Does anyone else recall a shot in one of the videos on the site, of a black GSD??
I am going to go check back and see if I can find it again...

And I agree with luvsdogs that if these dogs are aggressive, it would be very understandable.
Think about humans who are deprived of sleep, food and water...they end up literally losing their mind.

I only hope that they can be worked with, to overcome this.
But it would not be surprising if some of them are so far gone that they actually fail to recognise their own furparents. :-(

67luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Maite yes there was a shot of a black gsd but it wasn't Devil. I thought the same as you but was told it's a different dog named York. I'm truly praying and hoping Devil is ok and will be found safely. Enough animal abuse, enough of this evil man. Do we know how many more victims are out there?

68Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Is there anything at all that Ohio residents could do???

So many people are out of State but there may be some who are aware of this who are close enough physically to be able to carry out some investigation.
I am getting a bad feeling that Devil has been stolen/dispatched somewhere and that this is why there is no news of him...I hope somebody can make enquiries in the area and maybe find out a little more, as I know what it feels like to have a dog missing, and there be no closure. :-(

69sumari(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

What is the purpose of having an SPCA or animal Control/Charity if they cannot rescue/save animals in grave danger? Obvoiusly these dogs needed help immmediately, not in 24 hours or a week. To then add insult to injury the dogs are rescued? only to be put down and the person responsible basically walks away saying I am Sorry? Why have rules and not enforce them? Do only people like Michael Vick who are celebrities get punished?
This is so unfair to the people who owned the dogs and to the dogs who were abused. Starved caged dogs who have know love and affection can be rescued and rehabilited with a little time. Dogs are some of the most forgiving creatures on earth.
Steve Croley should be punished for what he has done. At the very least he could have called the owners and had them pick up their animals. If all he gets it the proverbial slap on the hand what is to prevent him from doing it again?
What is going to keep him from starving his own animals if he runs short of money? If the law in Ohio is such this is not concidered a henious crime and going to jail is not a determent then Steve Croley should not be allowed to own/train or associate with any animals as he is not a resposible enough human.

70animallover(86 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

So today I read that the court date is this Thursday Nov 13 at 11:15am. I know that I will be there - everyone should be there for these animals.

Youngstown Municipal Court
26 South Phelps Street
Youngstown, Ohio 44503

71pamewame(48 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I wish I could be there to support Nitro's family and all the others that have suffered because of one mans action. Its just not possible living 10 hrs away. My thoughts and prayers will be with all those there. You have my continued support.

72Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I would be there if I could but I am over 3,000 miles away.

But I will be with you in thought, and in prayer that this monster gets what he deserves!!!

73ads(109 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Has anyone heard anything about the hearing yet?

74Domo537(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

The time will come for mr. Coward ! Im so sorry liz and tom.

75Mattyy94(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Ha, me and my friends eggd this guys house XD

76owl(1 comment)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Every time this man put food in his mouth...and didn't feed his starving animals....he committed a continuous crime. It wasn't once: it occurred multiple times. Every time he walked by them, or looked at them...watching them die and doing nothing to help them in the way of providing sustenance...he made yet another contribution to his "continuous crime". They probably suffered for many days or weeks before they died.
I hope that is how the DA sees it, too.
Any shelter, humane society or rescue group would have helped in the way of providing food if they'd been asked.
There was and is no acceptable excuse for what he did.

77luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

exactly owl exactly. there was and is no excuse.

78gito(2 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

There are A LOT more kids being starved to death around the world in lesser countries and crimes to animal just can't compare IMO.

79gito(2 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm not saying it's okay for people to abuse animals, just that there are things that are MUCH worse.

80Maite(47 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Gito, I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your opinion and your views.
If you read all the other forums and their comments, you will see this has been discussed elsewhere also.
One thing pointed out, is that child abusers very often start by abusing animals.
We are not talking black and white here.
There are strong links between animal abuse and child/human cruelty. You cannot truly separate the two issues into different compartments.

Yes there are horrors going on all round the world every minute of every day.
But at the risk of sounding insular, I have to state the fact that we are NOT "round the world". We are HERE.
And right now, ONE of the horrible issues going on HERE is this one that we are discussing.

It affects us far more as individuals than a child starving in Somalia.
ANY person posting here could have had their dog at those kennels.
Several actually DID.
Why should we ignore what is going on under our very noses, in order to concentrate on what horrors are happening thousands of miles away??

Which is it more important to deal with??

I am not trying to pull apart your opinions, only to state a fact.
The fact being, the immediacy to our own lives is what is spurring us on to try and win justice in our own neighbourhoods before setting our sights on the much wider task of World Affairs.

81rottwild4ever(1 comment)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

I was raised to believe that you cannot change the entire world but that you should strive to change things that touch your lives for the better. Can I care about starving children in Somalia or children that need nets in Africa for their beds... And also take time to care for starving and homeless animals?
Of course you can!
That said it would have been easy to solve the problem by calling the dogs owners and having them picked up and taken home where they could be loved and cared for. There are organizations that would have helped with his personal dogs.
People can say all they want about Steve being a kind caring individual BUT the evidence is overwhelming. He did this and called it love.

82Ak4pets(3 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

It's Alaska again. What ever happened in this case?. Thanks for the info. God Bless

83Ak4pets(3 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

it Alaska again. What ever happened in this case. Thanks for the info. God Bless

84Maeolyn(1 comment)posted 4 years ago

Laws are not tough enough on people that abuse/starve animals, they need to toughen laws a lot more to deter people from doing this to innocent animals. Lock him up and starve him, let him feel how those poor dogs felt. SICK! Hope he rots!

85jansel(4 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

My broken heart bleeds for all the dogs and their owners that suffered at the hands of Mr. Croley. What he did to these animals was more than neglect, it was downright abuse. It was not a result of hard times, that he could not afford to feed these dogs. The dogs were also without water and water is virtually free. The owners of these dogs had given him the money to feed them, but it appears he took the money and used it for something else. (misappropiated funds?) Is this not theft in addition to abuse.If these were his own dogs and he came across hard times, perhaps there may be some understanding, but it still would never be acceptable. But when he accepted money from the owners to care for these dogs and then doesn't buy food and feed them, this is absolutely criminal. He should also be charged for not delivering the services he was contracted to by the owners. And it appears he continued to accept more dogs when he already wasn't feeding the ones already in his care, as is apparent from the dogs that had been dead a while. The law needs to be changed so that future cases like this can be charged for what they are. Felonies.

86gabbykathi(6 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Still...my sympathies to you all who lost your beloved pet and to those hopefully that got your pet back and the struggles they are having. I cant sleep and am sick to my stomach, i cant stop crying...still when i see this. What is he doing now?
What happened to DEVIL, was he ever found or did owners find out what happened to him?
What about the dogs rescued...were their owners notified and did they have a chance to rescue their own pet?

87gabbykathi(6 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

how can u not even give them water, bread....something.....? kills me how they suffered sooo needlessly. These owner trusted this man to care for their pets and train them.
NO ONE HAS BROUGHT UP THE FACT THAT U COULD SEE FROM NEIGHBORS YARD....THIS SHOULDVE BEEN CAUGHT SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88cheenna(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Some of you who defend this man, calling him friend, make me sick!! IF this vermin was so good and loving, at the very first sign of a problem he would have made contact with the people who had innocently placed their beloved pets with him for training but no, instead, HE CHOSE to cruelly STARVE THEM TO DEATH! You call this the act of a loving decent man? And you, knowing this was going on? Where were you when this good man needed a hand? You're as freakin perverted as he is. There is not a punishment severe enough for him (or you, for that matter) and the one he received is no more than a joke. Ohio needs to hang their head in shame over this one. With God's grace, the new Bill will make a difference but not until the punishment fits the crime, there will be no change!

89LaineWood(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

to haman633 and others who are taking up for this man: Your dogs didn't die. What would keep a man (in his right mind, when times are tough) from calling these dog's owners and telling them he had no money to feed them. I didn't see this story when it happened, but here 2 years later, I am just appalled. He deserves prison time, if anyone does. And I believe that there is a much higher court he will have to face. God, please forgive me for judging this man when I know in my heart of hearts that this is your job.