Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Dead, emaciated dogs found at kennel || GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Published: Wed, October 22, 2008 @ 5:51 p.m.

Nitro Foundation

- External Site -

YOUNGSTOWN — A professional sign out front belied the fact that dead and starving dogs were in the back yard of High Caliber K-9.

The business at 1516 Coitsville-Hubbard Road promotes itself as a center for dog training, grooming and boarding. It also offers “doggie day care,” underground fencing, dog importing and stud service.

Kyle Ziegler and Joe Borosky, Animal Charity humane agents, went to the business Wednesday afternoon after a woman called and complained that she couldn’t get her dog back from the man operating the place. The agents knocked but no one answered so they got permission to look from the next-door neighbor’s back yard.

What they saw made them call police.

“We found seven dead and eight skinny, neglected dogs," Borosky said. “We’re filing 15 counts of animal cruelty and animal neglect against the owner.”

Records show the business is operated by Steve Croley. He was expected to be arraigned today in municipal court.

Read more in Thursday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com.

Comments

1isaac45(261 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

awful

2DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

You mean the sign out front did not disclose there were dead and mistreated dogs inside? Mind bending.

3redox(55 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

So cruel

4ladybug(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

There is no punishment severe enough for this disgusting human being!!!!!!!!! What he allowed to happen to these animals and the way he treated them is deplorable. There needs to be MUCH harsher penalties for anyone who does this to innocent animals entrusted to these kinds of people!!!

5Johnnapa(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I have known this guy well for years now and think that he obviously must have had a complete mental breakdown due to the recent breakup of his marriage. He is a true animal lover - this I know first hand - so for something like this to happen he must have gone over the edge due to his ongoing depression. Through the years we have purchased several dogs from Steve and he is a good person - who needs some help right now. This is a terrible situation and all concerned need all of the help that we can possibly give to them. That is what the bible would tell us to do. This is not the time you are supposed to turn your back on people - this is the time that you are supposed to help them the most. Something has gone terribly wrong here - so let's all try to HELP - instead of just posting negative comments that don't help anyone. We can all fall off of the track in life - and it is up to our friends and neighbors to help us to set things right.

Thank you everyone.

6Katie(32 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I know Steve, also and I have friends that know Him better than I do. I agree with every word that Johnnapa has said(previous article). He is missing His Family and really needed some one to talk to. Nobody realized How much. It's too bad He didn't ask someone for help, that I know of. Unless You have had Clinical depression, or been around someone with it, I's hard to understand how devastating it is. It's like walking through quicksand every step you take. My heart aches for the Dogs and their Owners and it also aches for Steve. He does the Dogs, I've seen it for Myself.

7QQ(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

So...as long as you are going through a divorce its ok to let dogs that are in your care, depending on you, starve to death? Lots of people go through divorces. What if this was his children and not dogs? Then you'd all be in an uproar. There is absolutely NO excuse for this. NONE. I have no sympathy for this man.

8mslvrfx(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I would have to agree with the person that said a lot of people go thru divorce and don't do things like this. All he had to do is say man I can't handle this and let someone take the dogs. Using the divorce as an excuse is simply bull crap. Maybe it was the wife that took care of the dogs in the first place. Who really knows. But there is no excuse for letting these animals suffer and die like that. Simply horrible. May god have mercy on his soul when the time comes. As he has done a horrible wrong to some of Gods wonderful creatures.

9Vipers_Nest(2 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

"By Katie (Anonymous) on 10/23/08

I know Steve, also and I have friends that know Him better than I do. I agree with every word that Johnnapa has said(previous article). He is missing His Family and really needed some one to talk to. Nobody realized How much. It's too bad He didn't ask someone for help, that I know of. Unless You have had Clinical depression, or been around someone with it, I's hard to understand how devastating it is."

Katie;

I have been diagnosed with a SEVERE Bi-Polar disorder, am retired on disability because of it..I have been a severely battered housewife..[concussions, broken bones, you name it]...

I am also a rescue volunteer for the ABA [American Bullmastiff Association]..I donate at least $50.00 monthly of my disability funds, hoping that those funds will aid my breed in getting decent foster care...

Katie, do NOT make blanket statements about clinical depression, and what it can do to people..it sure as H*** didn't do it to me...

If you wish to make excuses for this guy, fine..

Not everyone who has a "mental illness" resorts to this type of criminal behavior...

There's a lot more "wrong" with this situation than "clinical depression"...

10parhiscan(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I went through a terrible divorce and sure as hell did not starve my kids or my dog. Everyone wants to have an excuse for terrible behavior. Everyone thinks they are the victim. Just a sickning situation and making excuses helps no one including this man. But then this is Youngstown OH where the populace tolerate criminal behavior of the politicians and take a look at what they are doing at your so called shelter. The Dog Warden and the County Commission should be prosecuted for their behavior toward animals. This is 2008 and they should stop living in the 1800's where people regarded animals in a different light

11Persiancandy(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't care what this worthless excuse for a human being was going through. He had NO RIGHT to treat these animals that way that he did! A true animal lover would NEVER allow animals to starve and die on their watch! They would do everything in their power to help the animals. Even if it meant eating less and sharing the food with them! I'm outraged! I hope they stick it to him!

12For_the_Helpless(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I am forever telling people NEVER EVER leave your Dog ANYWHERE without thoroughly checking the place out and NEVER drop your Dog off for training!!!!! These poor poor precious Dogs, how they have suffered. ;-( And I am sorry but to all of you bleeding hearts, there is absolutely NO REASON in the world for such horrific abuse!!!! Using the fact of a divorse as an excuse.........you are all enablers!! As long as people can buy their way out of these crimes, the more this disgusting abuse will happen. This monster is just lucky that one of my Dogs was not there!!!!

13hurricaneV(6 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

This is just a sickening crime. I am so so very sorry for those of you who lost your dogs, I couldn't even imagine this happening to my dogs, they are family. :(

14XFilesX(77 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I've been sending copies of these articles to MSNBC.com and to FoxNews. If Youngstown Ohio prosecutors and courts aren't going to do the right thing, then the national media needs to be involved. Help me by e-mailing the articles also.

15swbox2(2 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

i am very sorry for everyones loss. i agree with for the helpless, dont leave your dogs without checking out the place first. my dog is like one of my children and if i had to put him in a "daycare" i would go to the place and look inside and out, meet the people who work there etc. if i saw anything or felt anything i was not comfortable with i would not leave my dog. from the look of the pictures its not a place i would have left my dog. theres no excuse for these animals to have been left this way. if he was having a hard time in life, as we all are now he should have sought out help, or called the owners to come and get their pets instead of letting them die.

16mrswells07(1 comment)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

WTF? Why why why? How could someone do this to a helpless caged animal? Maybe we should go back to archaic times where whatever crime you did was punished with same disciplinary action. People may think harder about doing evil things like this. Poor creatures. This makes me feel sick to my stomach and sad.

17max340pug(11 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

This is a travesty! As a veterinarian, I have never seen such horrific abuse in my many years of practice. This person needs to be formally charged, and he needs to spend some time hopefully in prison, to reflect upon choices he made. A slap on the wrist will not serve as restitutation for the heartbroken owners of these poor abused dogs. He must not be set free to perhaps do this again....please, we must get the word out there, we must help these poor people in any way we possibly can.

18metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

How sad and how wrong.

19bink(7 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

He smokes crack he dos not love dogs he loves money from selling dogs by more crack

20luvsdogs(70 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

How can any human being do this to a living creature? This Steve Croley is a Jeffery Dahmer or a Charles Manson. If you look Steve Croley in the eyes you would be looking at the DEVIL himself for what he did to those poor defenseless animals locked up in their death chambers because of the selfishness of one sick and demented individual. How can this person ever look himself in the mirror. I hope they throw away the key on this B*****D! He should rot in HELL! I wrote my letters and signed the petition - I'll be at the court house on Nov. 13th. If we keep doing nothing - nothing will ever change.

21animallover(86 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

So today I read that the court date is this Thursday Nov 13 at 11:15am. I know that I will be there - everyone should be there for these animals.

Youngstown Municipal Court
26 South Phelps Street
Youngstown, Ohio 44503

22liztom(28 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

59-36 in favor of HB 70 NITRO'S LAW. The bill passes the House and moves to the Senate for consideration.

23meinlamcjc(1 comment)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

This is the worst thing I have EVER seen and I hope they punish him to the fullest. Those pictures are totally disgusting and this man is not human. My gosh to look at those poor dogs who are nothing but loyal, loving creatures is so very sad~how they suffered hurts me so bad.
I don"t care if he went through a divorce or not~how could he watch them suffer like this and watch them die????!!!!
If the courts won't get him~I hope KARMA does! HE DISGUSTS ME~HE IS NOT A NICE PERSON~you will never be able to convince me of that!