Austintown treasurer cites need for school levy

Published: Mon, October 20, 2008 @ 10:08 p.m.

AUSTINTOWN — The board of education said Monday that the district won’t be able to operate effectively without the passage Nov. 4 of a 4.9-mill school levy.

The board had a work session before its regular meeting to discuss a proposed five-year forecast put together by Treasurer Barb Kliner.

The forecast is based on 4.4 of the 4.9 mills the district would receive if the levy is approved by voters.

Because of decreasing revenue and increasing expenses over the next five years, Kliner said passing the levy is the only way to keep the Austintown schools out of financial crisis. The measure would bring $2,959,731 annually into the district.

Kliner explained the district spent $236,000 more than it received in fiscal year 2008 — and used money carried over from past years to stay in the black.

Now, Kliner said, the 2009-10 fiscal year will put Austintown more than $2.5 million in the red without the new money.

“The deficit will continue to grow,” Kliner said. “It’ll be enough to cover payroll, and then we’ll have nothing left.”

read more in Tuesday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1Falcon54(6 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

This is a no brainer. Its about the education the kids receive in our town. The increase over a year is peanuts. Vote yes if you care. If you don't care about our kids, please move. I would rather tighten my belt and do my part for our children. My boys are out of school, but my wife and I appreciate Austintown and will stay here and do what we can.

2apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

It has nothing to do with whether we think the kids in Austintown deserve a good education or whether we care.

It's about making public entities live within their means just like the rest of us.

You simply cannot keep giving out raises and improved benefits to the public sector workers when the private sector workers who fund it are experiencing declining wages and benefits.

3NoBS(1939 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Aw, Jeeze, Grump - don't give him any encouragement - he'll be ranting and raving about Boardman before you know it.

The only point I want to make here is that the condition of a school system has a direct correlation to the property values in that school district. And if you keep cutting back and cutting back, allowing no improvements to the infrastructure or any encouragement for the better employees to stay, then you've had a hand in the falling values of your own homes and properties.

There's got to be a happy medium somewhere.

4dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

This is easy for me. That is a NO vote. We need to send a message to government, that they need to find other ways to fund the schools. If they are expecting more out of the schools or more put into them, then they need to fund it with their money. Not keep expecting property owners to foot the bill everytime.

5metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

nope and it is hard t understand h they can say they have head o no one who is against the levy. You know why,they only ask people they know will support it and those that are aginst it they ignore. It's bias really and you know ha lot of people will be voting no so. i say that because tat is what they are telling the media and that is what they are saying themselves.

6AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Notice how 4.4 of the 4.9 is going to operating expenses. The other .5 is going toward matching funds for the OFC program to build the new super elementary school. And ask yourselves, if things were so dire, why was it that the administration was given a 1% raise retroactive to August of 2007 recently?

Not passing this levy is not going to decrease your property values any lower then they will be when open enrollment is forced on you in 2010.

7dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

That does not matter. The whole decrease our property value is a scare tactic. Plus our property value is crap with the way the way the economy is anyways. Plus the government needs to realize we don't want to keep paying higher taxes to afford the schools. That if they want more computers, new books, extra whatever, then the government needs to start footing the bill. I know I'm glad my son doesn't go to Austintown schools, and maybe just maybe we'll be out of there before 2010! Every school distict needs to look at the government, go to Washington DC, ask why bailout the big companies that the republicans screwed up, and not bailout the schools, and education for the future of America! Quit asking us, go to them!

8NoBS(1939 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

By OldManGrump (Anonymous) on 10/21/08

NoBS - there is no correlation between property house values and the condition of the school system except the districts with high home values always do well in their schools on the state tests, but that is due to the parents who live in their district being involved in their kids education and they are usually on the high end of the income chain.

++++

Sure there is. Having a good school system makes an area more desirable, which translates to higher property values. That's why the Youngstown School District portion of Boardman has significantly lower property values than the rest of Boardman.

I'll agree with you that parental involvement plays a large part of it, but there's more to it than just that. Academically, South Range is consistantly in the top couple of percent, statewide. Why aren't property values higher out there? Because they don't offer the things a public education in Austintown or Boardman do.

9metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

But their schools are better if you go by OGT scores. I really would not trust them to be truthful in where all this money is going,hmm Heuer's pocket for one.

10dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I think Youngstown property value is lower due to the condition of the houses and the people in the neighborhoods. You just use the school systems as an excuse. People also do choice usually to live in an area where they feel safer, and where they feel is a good place to raise a family. Do you really think Youngstown apply there?

11dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Vote No on the school levy!

12metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Good idea show them how we feel.

13AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Believe it or not, in the elementary schools Youngstown actually has wonderful teachers and the kids do really well. I know some of those teachers and have used one as a tutor for my child in the A-town school district. I am voting NO. Wasting money left and right and now they want more, I don't think so.

14Falcon54(6 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

If your voting no, so be it. But don't waste time on the key board because I haven't read one fact in any of the negative comments. just the same old wasting money,cut teachers pay,Heuer, etc...... Its all about you. Vote yes for a continued better education.

15AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Then you have not read every comment. Plenty of facts have been stated, maybe not on this exact article, but all over Vindy. If you aren't going to do the research then maybe you should be the one not wasting their time on the "key board".

16SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Once again people don’t get out there and do their own research. It’s not about lining administrators' pockets or teachers' pockets at that. For your information OLDMAN many teachers are NOT OVER PAID! Do the math. Teachers are constantly attending school to stay certified. As well as paying for much of their own supplies in their classrooms. Both of the above mentioned takes MONEY. Guess What?!? They don't get reimbursed. As a matter of FACT, Teachers are the most underpaid profession that is out there. I send my children to Austintown and they love it. The Teachers need to be commended on the job they do and the countless hours of preparation. VOTE YES FOR THE LEVY!

17AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Yet the many of our teachers live in Canfield and Poland, under paid huh?

18dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

The schools need to be going to the government for more funding. We, the tax payers are sick of footing the bill. Look we approved the levy for building the new middle school, and look what happened. They screwed that one up. So why would we trust them to use this levy money right? We need to vote NO. We need to send a message to gov't, and until every levy is voted down, that will never happen. People need to talk to their state reps, anyone in congress that represents our area, and Ohio. Get your voices heard! We all need to unite on this front!

19metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

They have lsot our trsut. I don't ee kno if they can get it abck,I for one wil never trsut the board or Heuer.

20SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Living in Poland or Canfield doesn't make a person wealthy. Sheesh Grow up!

21dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't say wealthy, but they have to make a good living. Have you priced houses in those area?

22AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

SRSTinAtown - are you that clueless or do you just play that on the message boards? To afford a home in either area you need to make a very good income, which most of our teachers do. They get a base rate and that is added on to for length of service, additional degrees and accreditations, and if they are heads of departments or coaches, etc. Our teachers are paid equally and fairly in this region, no matter what information is put out there by the BOE. Check your figures before you spout off.

23metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

yeah they sure do,not! why then do most teachers claim they get underpaid and why do they go on strike for them cutting their wages. I will tell you why,they get the crap end of a deal. they are he first to go if the budget has to be cut and the fist people everyone complains about.

24AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

If you were fighting for a raise, would you claim you are paid well? DUH! They hardly get the crap end of the deal. And yes they are the first to go because 80% of the budget is for salaries and benefits, that is simple business, again DUH!

25Falcon54(6 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

dmets - Do you hear yourself. The state doesn't care if we vote all the levies down. The kids will lose their extracurricular activities one by one, busing will be affected, etc. Why don't you, Grump and the other No's move out to the desert in Utah and start your perfect town in a bubble.I am still putting the children first."Vote Yes" It may cost me a few hundred$$ but these kids are worth it.This area is still one of the cheapest in the USA to live.

26AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Why don't you and the other apathetic individuals who view the schools as all day babysitting move out so we can actually get some fiscally responsible individuals in this township who will hold the BOE accountable for their spending so that is does go to the education of the kids.

27xytown(63 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

VOTE NO!!!

The Austintown School system needs to tighten their belt.

Take a drive by the teachers parking lot at any Austintown school and note the high end, gas guzzler vehicles their driving.

The teachers salaries are way to high. Get a masters degree and your good for $60,000.00 + even if your teaching skills are horrible. PAY CUT'S ARE IN ORDER!!!!

Every time you turn around they have their hand out!

TIME TO FACE THE FACTS AUSTINTOWN SCHOOL BOARD THE PEOPLE HAVE CAUGHT ON!!!

VOTE NO!!

28dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I will not go move anywhere. I do not vote for school levies, unless they are possibly a renewal. Plus my husband and I pay taxes to a school district we do not even send our children to. And yes that is by choice.
I think the teachers' union backs up too many teachers who should not even be teaching. I also think teachers need to start paying for some of the health benefits. I do have friends who work in the Austintown schools. They know how i feel and they completely understand. Funding needs to come from the gov't first, then maybe the tax payers. Not everyone owns property to pay taxes so why should it only fall on their shoulders. The property owners are sick of footing the bill. Get the BIG PICTURE Falcon54! You also say this is one of the cheapest places to live in the USA. Gee I wonder why? Look around and that answer is very clear!

29metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Lets see we are amohg the poorest of them all. by voitng eys you give the mmore moey to waste.

30SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Atownparent-since you so kindly addressed me in this blog, I figured I would respond to you in the same kindly manner. No I am not clueless nor do I play some idiot on a message board. I happen to be someone who thought Austintown was full of kind and educated open minded people. Maybe I'm wrong. I moved to Austintown for the reason that I love this community. The Teachers are good to my kids, my neighbors are respectful and kind to my family. I'm out there volunteering at church and at the "Public" School. I hear both sides of peoples' view about the levy. No matter what I have the right to vote how I want, go ahead and make dumb comments directed to me. I want what every parent wants-a good education for my children. I WILL BE VOTING YES FOR THE LEVY!

31metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

And you have that right to do so.

32Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I love the comments that say "government" should make up for any shortfall in educational budgets. Where exactly do you think that money will come from? The people that want the government to foot the bill for education are the exact same people that scream about welfare..... wouldn't that be welfare to the schools?! My favorite comments come from those that choose to live in Austintown and yet send their children to other school districts(dmets). You surely wouldn't be happy if Mineral Ridge residents voted your children's school levies down. I'm a "YES" vote everytime. Anything I can give towards my children and the other children in the district I will do with a big fat smile on my face. I've been listening to same nonsense about teachers wages, sports programs, blah, blah, blah... If the levy fails, and judging by the comments here, it probably will I don't want to hear one bit of whining about how bad it sucks to be in Austintown and the schools. Live with the consequences.

dmets.... nevermind responding.. you opinion matters not in the least to me. You have little to no reason to care about the schools since they are unworthy of your children. Go post on a Ridge thread.

33Falcon54(6 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Mimi2BC - I couldn't have said it any better. Well done. Another vote for the children of our community.

34Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Oldman... the parents better prepare themselves. I can't wait to hear the griping once the "NO" vote parents have to take their kids to school every morning.... I'll bet their employers will be ever so accomodating to their daily tardiness. The teachers will be fine, the Super will still be here and the kids will have nothing. YEA NO VOTERS!!! Idiots, all of you.

35dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I still have to pay the taxes for the Austintown schools. As for Ridge they DO provide a better education for the children so it was a very easy choice for me. As for you thinking I would be mad if weatherfield residents voted down a school levy. Please do not think you know anything that goes through my mind. If they did vote down a levy, I would completely understand why they did. By the way I am not talk about our local government. What I am saying is if the Congress or the President wants things to be up graded, then they need to budget for the schools of America. They waste 10 billion dollars a month in Iraq, I'm saying use that money to better our schools instead of being in a pointless war.
Mini2BC: I will respond if I want to. And if I am not mistaken and remember correctly you are looking to jump ship over the uniform issue if it passes. So why would the levy be so inportant to you, cause it looks like you'll be sending you kids to another school. Then your extra tax dollars will not even benefit your children.

36SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

OLDMAN- you seem to be just stereotyping, I know people that live in Poland and Canfield areas and they are struggling just like the rest of us. They aren't living in big fancy houses and are not rich like you point out.

Have you read the information on the Levy? I have. I know education is important and our school district is molding our future. Why would I jeopardize their efforts by voting NO?!

If you think Teachers are over paid than maybe we should pay them all the standard babysitting. Oh Wait-DO THE MATH! Let’s say the teachers will get paid the $3/hour babysitting rate. They spend 5-6 hours with our kids in a day. That means if they spend a minimum 5 hours with a child that is $15 a day-WOW I'd pay that in childcare. Now take into account they "watch" 25 kids. hummm...25 x 15/day = $375 a day for that one teacher if they were a babysitter. We all know that teachers are with the kids 180 days out of the year. 180 x $375 = $67,500 would be the yearly salary of every teacher in the school district. Think about it that way, most teachers make $30,000 a year. I know some may make more but they've been there many years and I feel they earned it. Plus keep in mind, Teachers just don't watch kids. They mentor, coach, tutor and counsel. Oh and don’t forget to consider the education requirements and expectation that each teacher needs to be a “Highly qualified Teacher” under the NCLB act.

I do agree on one part, the administration does need to do some trimming. No matter what you say I AM STILL VOTING YES!

37Falcon54(6 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Oldman - You sound like a drunk in the bleachers at a football game. (broken record)"THAT IS A GIVEN" You have no idea what the teachers in Austintown make. Its your choice how you vote, but give us a break already. Its obvious that that the world revolves around you and that's all that matters. Vote Yes for the kids......

38SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

oh geez OLDMAN, I know what I'm talking about the $30,000 was an estimate not an exact salary. ONCE AGAIN DO THE MATH! You mention average salary-$49,836, yes which includes all the teachers salary. Do you know how to do averages? Well you take all salaries and add them all up. You than divide that number by the number of teachers on staff. HENCE THE AVERAGE! Go to the board office and get a copy of all teachers' salary if you want to start comparing EXACT Numbers.

Oh and another thing, What happened to the concept of "It takes a village to raise a child"?

VOTE YES!

39metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

know waht bt voting yes you are giving Hueuer what he wants.more money. i think they have already ame up their mind and wil fire teachers either way. and this does not solve the fact that tey are wasting money.

NO,NO,NO!!!!!

40SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I want to know what you think is a solution. All I hear is cut the pay. Do you all really want Open Enrollment?

Do any of you have children in the school district? If not than this is just a selfish act.

I never heard so much complaining from so many people on one subject.

41SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I almost forgot.... VOTE YES!

42metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Come on,you do know that even if it would pass they would stil be at least a million in the red right? And one levy will neevr solve thigns over night. prehaps learning how to blance your budget would. If they want open enrollment they will do it anyways. You wonder wh so many complain? Well you are one of the few that aren't so you msut be on another planet. People sued to spupurt their schools but nt how they are running the in to the ground.

43dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

That is sad cause firefighters get paid less and risk their live to save others. There is something definately wrong here.

I am voting NO on the levy cause I do believe the money will be misused. They have misused levy money before, so they lost my trust!

44NextGenWorker(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

VOTE YES!!!

I'm amazed at the statements made by those who want to vote 'no' for the levy. First of all, teachers are under paid - seriously, how can you question that? They are shaping our township's, city's, and country's future...

To those who said the government should pony up additional money...umm...hummm... where does the government's money come from? Oh, that's right - TAX PAYERS...that would be YOU and ME! So what you're basically saying is that you'd rather have the money taken out of your left pocket rather than your right pocket. The magic money Godmother doesn't show up at the steps of the Capital in Washington D.C. each year with a bag of money - it comes from raising taxes.

Grow up! Vote YES for our future!

45SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

VERY WELL SAID NEXTGEN! Also OLDMAN you still don't understand the concept of an average. There are teachers on that do earn that but you still got to remember there are many others that don't. I understand ODE and all their data. I think you are reading what you want into it. Like I pointed out before AVERAGE is a MATH PROBLEM. HERE's the Formula once again. All Teachers' salaries ADDED together, than DIVIDED by how many teachers on staff = AVERAGE SALARY of $49,836. Why don't you look at the starting salary for a new teacher and the salary of a teacher that has been there for over 25 years?

46xytown(63 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

VOTE NO!!!!

47SRSTinAtown(15 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

VOTE YES!
;-)

48ytownsteelman(628 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Vote NO . Shut down the government monopoly on education and take responsibility for educating your own children. Send them to a private school or better yet just don't have children. If you haven't noticed there are already 6 BILLION people on this planet, we don't need your little rugrats.

The root cause of many of the problems facing the world today is simply TOO MANY PEOPLE!

49metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Too ay prople that don't know how to balce their budget then have the nerve to ask for more money. Heck no,who i nthere right md wold give them even more moeny to put into athelitcs? that is wehre a lot of it goes.

50Ken(153 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Here's a novel and legal idea:
Everyone...from the Superintendent to the lowest paid employee can take a 2% or 3% cut for a year. That would eliminate the deficit and get the district back on track financially.

51metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Like Hueuer would ever do that. it would help but that is not how they do things. instead they want a pay raise.

52Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

dmets... regardless of where my children attend school I will always vote for school levies. That's the difference between you and I. I believe all children deserve a quality education. I disagree with uniforms... so what of it? Again with the talk about "the government".... no matter which government you want to provide more money, IT'S STILL OUR TAX DOLLARS!!! If the federal, state or local government starts footing the bill for education, guess what that means.... we will be paying more taxes. The downside of the state and federal scenarios are that it will get divided out across the state. The bigger cities will qualify for more. If it is our tax it is our money. Like I said, your opinion on the subject is pointless.... you do not have a vested interest in the educational system here. Austintown schools aren't good enough for yours so you simply don't care to pay for others to have what yours have.

53sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! YOU JUST BUILT A NEW SCHOOL! WHATS NEXT? IM DONE WITH ALL LEVEYS,SCHOOL,POLICE,FIRE,MRDD,ALL OF THEM IM SICK OF ALL THE BS!ILL BE VOTING NO ON ALL ISSUES. NO! NO! NO!

54dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Our taxes have not gone up for funding this war! Take the 10 billion a month for the war and put it into the the childre'sn future in education! As for ytownsteelman: you are a jack you have no right telling people to not have more children. That is our right to choose to have them. So knock off that BS! As for me voting down the levy, I think all schools should vote now their levies, not just austintown. They say their bills have gone up, everyone's have do to the crappy economy. I know I do not want to give up any extra with how everything is right now. Plus my other point is, I'm sick of PROPERTY OWNERS being the only ones who support the schools. What about everyone else in the district who renst or does not owner property? They pay nothing! So is that right? NO! They need to find a way to have everyone who lives in the schoold district to put money in to the schools, not just the property owners.

55sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

You go dmets!very true! As i drive around atown i see vote yes for this an that,why not a vote no sign? i would put one in my yard as big as hell!NO!NO!NO!

56AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I already voted no...if the kids were so important, the teachers would have no problem taking a pay cut. If they are unwilling to give up on their part, what makes you think that I want to give up more?

57metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

yeah how many times do yo ever see sings saying to vote no hardly ever. but there should be.

58sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I dont have kids in the austintown schools,so why should i have to pass a school levy? Im not going to pay for something i dont use or need? I think when your kids are done with school you should not have to pay for someone elses little brat to go to school!!

59dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

sinthor: i would not go as far as calling them brats. But i do think that everyone should have to pay for the schools, not just property owners. My kids do not go to atown school even though I live in atown. I just think something else needs to be done to fund the schools!

60sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

So sorry dmets,i just get so worked up about the leveys,my bad.plz 4 give me! thx.

61metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Taht is a good poit. if your kids go to say Jackson Milton why should you then pay for kids who go to Austintown,and Jackso nMilton? If your kids go there I iwould imagine you pay for that too.

62gobrowns(18 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

to old man grump, you need to get your facts straight. First off, teachers most recent contract included a 1% raise in the first year, and a wage freeze for the 2nd year. They also agreed to pay more towards their health care.
Next, that AVERAGE salary takes into account the people that have been there for 30 years and make way more. The vast majority make much less. I understand that you may decide to vote no, and respect that, just want you to get the facts straight.

63metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

well both sides o nthis isie have their facts wrng. well something amy nt eb coorect that I or others ay the baord s not being all truthful either.

64Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

dmets... the owners of the rental properties have to pay property taxes.

metz87... she does not pay for her kids to attend school, they are enrolled under open enrollment. That school gets a nice chunk of change to teach her kids. She has no problem with the taxes that are used to pay for her children to attend school, it's just Austintown that is problematic for her.

Like I've said before.... live with the consequences and keep your complaints to yourself if you don't like the what happens after the levy fails, you asked for it.

65dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

But you see the people who live in low income housing/section 8 pay nothing. And the people renting pay nothing into the school district. You just do not see my point! There ARE people who PAY nothing at all towards the school districts, and they do live in every school district. I think PA has a good idea when it comes to their schools. EVERYONE has to pay no matter what, cause everyone purchases stuff whether it is simple paper products, car, house, ect. EVERYONE pays! EVERYONE! These school levies are just another way to make teachers' checks fatter. If I knew evr cent, and I ment every cent was being used for the children and none went to the teachers paychecks, I may just then consider voting yes. But nothing matters if the teachers do not get what they want, the levy fails, and their contract is up. They will strike, and get what they want anyways!

66dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Let me answer the open enrollment comment for myself. I choose to send my kids to Ridge. Why you ask? Because I went to small schools, and like the smaller schools. I also plan on moving there, so why make my children have to switch schools, when I can send them there from the start. As for paying money, I do not pay anything for my children to go there. The money Austintwon would get for my children, goes to Ridge instead. So they do not get a nice chuck of change, they get the same amount Austintown would get if my children went there.

67dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

sinthor: It's ok, the school levies get me fired up too. As you can see. But I do try to be respectful while giving my opinion. I do see your point. What bothers me are the people who are trying to make us, who want to vote no, into uneducated monsters who don't care about the kids. I believe I am a very caring person. I mean I do drive my children every morning to school cause they do provide a better education in Ridge. I took everything into consideration when choosing a school district. But you know some people are just so one sided and never even grasp the other side's concept. I at least read it, and do understand why they feel the way they do.

68sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

dmets,no we are not monsters we do care bout our little ones we just are sick of all the BS! An school levey lies. Still gona vote NO! Thank you for 4 giving me! Again me sorry.

69metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

heck i graduated from high school myself about a year ago. It would make sense for everyone to pay ten ho they have it right now.

70Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

When a child leaves the school district they live in to attend a charter school or another through open enrollment it costs the school they are leaving $5500.00 in state funding. While you may very well still be paying property taxes, I highly doubt they make up for the $5500.00 that followed your child. That's $5500.00 per child!

71metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

yea they do they tax you more to make up for it. and they are losing lots of kids to others area schools and MCCTC. they just want to get away from the mess and drama.

72dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I do pay my property taxes, and Austintown does get 80% of the money I do pay in taxes. I do not send my children to a charter school, and never would! So the school I am sending my children to do not get the same amount if they were attending their Austintown schools. That seems so fair. There are many people who do send their children through open enrollment that is their choice. We also have the same choice whether or not to vote yes or no on a school levy. I do not see a problem with people choosing to send their children to a school district who does have open enrollment. Especially when their report card is better then the district they live in. So why do you think Austintown is looking to open enrollment? They want more money from the state. No matter if the levy passes or fails they will still want that extra money through open enrollment. Don't let them full you. The propblem is people are greedy and nothing is never enough!

73Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

So by your logic Ridge was "greedy" by offering open enrollment.... hmmm. I couldn't care less where anybody chooses to send their children to school.... my problem is with having to hear about your reasons for voting no when you DO NOT have a vested interest in the education of the children at Austintown. I also didn't say your children went to a charter school, I gave both scenarios. I did notice there are two renewal levies on the ballot for Ridge. I hope for your children's sake the voters in Ridge are committed to paying for a quality education. I'll be crossing my fingers for yours as well as mine.

74metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

If the drn stae woud give them money they would not have to ask us directly for it every year. what about when you buys things at the stroe the tax money goes to the schools thorughout the state? that way everyone pays for the school system in the state. the way we are doing it now is not working.

75dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I never said open ernrollment was greedy. Ridge has so many less children in their district then Austintown. That is why they have OE. I think NEW levies are the greed of teachers. I think there is a huge dfference between NEW levis and RENEWALS. I have voted yes on every RENEWAL levy in Austintown. I am against all NEW taxes on home owners.

I also think the whole Ohio lotto "funding" education is BS! That money ends up in a general fund, and not used for what it is intended. Come on the Ohio lotto make so much money it should be able to fund our schools all on it's own. Something needs to be done to get that money to the schools just like it is ment to be!

76sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

NO on renewals,no on leveys,let them work with what they got just like we have to. Let them see whats its like.

77metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

some may say that is wrong but they way we are doing things now sure isn't working either.

78AtownParent(562 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

But according to everyone's logic about the education system and the property values, dmets DOES have a vested interest in the education system because your logic says it goes hand in hand with property values. If she wants to vote no, then let her. Frankly, if you think that voting yes is going to help the education your child receives, you have your head stuck in the sand. More money is not going to spent to update anything, it is for operating expenses - 80% of which is salaries and benefits. We are all so concerned with making sure that the teachers and para pros keep their jobs around here that we forget that the economy around us is crashing. But hey, as long as none of the teachers get let go or two jobs don't get consolidated or one planning period isn't removed, then we are all Ok, right?

79metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

If they would tel people that i would be guessing a lot of people would vote no. Let the real truth be know,it is going to pay teachers,adminstrators and little is going to improve the schools or education itself. Of curse they would never say that though.

80dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Exactly AtownParent! I am not all about giving more money to the teachers for pay and benefits. They need to start paying more for their benefits! The economy is crashing around us, and that's why i said I will be voting NO. We need our money for our own raising costs. Also said I completely understand why people would vote down a levy, even in my children's school district. Austintown does employ some people who really are not needed. They pay some people to tutor 15 students a day, throughout the day. Now if i am mistaken, teachers are supposed to tutor their own students on their own time, like no class periods, and after school. I know when I was in school, that's what was required of the teachers. Also parents would hired tutors outside of school to help their children.
As for my property value! The economy has completely screwed that up. All the schools are in good condition, and they provide a decent education. So I am not worried about the teachers getting a raise! How does them making more money benefit our kids? What are they going to do, stop teaching effectively? If that is their choice then they got into the wrong profession!

81metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Anymore teachers would rather leave with the rest of us at the end of the school day then to stick around to help students out. I mean as a whole,some teachers really do care abut the students.

82metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Well i don't know if they are useless but electives are not required. I think people are sick of them trying to scare us into voting their way and last night proved it. Now they will have to rethink how they are spending their money,at least they should.

83sinthor(87 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

BRAVO! BRAVO! AUSTINTOWN! GOOD COMMENT METZ87, I LIKE THE WAY YOU PUT THAT.

84metz87(884 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks,and the truth has been released. If they actually put the money to good use and it want to kids education and they had a balanced budget i would have voted yes but seeing that it is not I voted it down.