Can you help the homeless?

Published: Sat, October 11, 2008 @ 11:18 p.m.

NEW CASTLE, Pa. — It can happen after someone gets behind in rent, gets out of prison to a cold reception from family, or gets sick and can’t work.

If you analyzed every homeless person’s situation, you might discover that there are as many reasons for being homeless as there are homeless people.

Many of them end up on the streets, long or short term, and that can be a dangerous, hard life. But in New Castle, there are people who are working to make that life easier.

At Patches Place, they’ve heard a lot of reasons for homelessness. That’s because 90 of their 221 clients are either on the streets — they estimate about 60 — or going from couch to couch with whomever will take them in.

Patches Place, which opened in September 2007, is a drop-in center and an umbrella organization for three programs that serve mentally ill clients, not homeless people. But, as Sandi Hause, director of one of those programs, points out, many mentally ill people are homeless as well.

“We never thought homelessness would be part of our problem,” Hause said. “But when the cold came, the staff would leave to go home and there would be all these people out front: ‘I’m gonna sleep under a bridge,’ ‘I’m gonna sleep behind the bushes at Eat ’n Park’ ...”

So Hause, her son Charlie, daughter Angela Hagberg, ex-daughter-in-law Vickie Thompson, and Dennis Robbins, who met Charlie Hause in a local newspaper’s online forum, formed the Lawrence County Homeless Coalition.

As the winter approaches, they’re taking donations of bedding, tents, rope and other items that will help people who are going to sleep outside.

For the full story, see Sunday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Comments

1DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

They can get a ride to the nearest polling place for a cookie and snort of brandy if they are willing to vote for Obama. That seems like a positive.

2dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

That was so out of line! You are a JACK!! You need to realize that McCain is a terrible candidate for President, and his airhead partner was the worse possible choice EVER! So get a life DOTORGONZO.

As for the article, I have gone through all my clothes to donate to those who need them. I also may have some old blankets or comforters to put in too!

3DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Who the hell said anything about McCain? You did. I have not written one word advocating McCain this entire year, but somehow you and your below average brain have read it in my message and placed me in the gop. You are simple minded and only see and process what you think is there rather than reality. Take a small leap into traffic for me and save our society the trouble of putting up with your insolence. You are so hyped on your own self merit that you cannot even comprehend what is written. I hope you do not work with children or other people in general.
As for my comments, perhaps the snort of brandy was not researched enough, but eveything else is true. Homeless have been taxied to polling places in C-bus and Indiana, registered and given food. I am also pretty sure they were given a cash handout and I am also pretty sure who they voted for. Also, it seems to me if I were homeless and sleeping in the woods, I might take that ride, register (address and social secuirty number unknown) and vote for the guy I think is going to give me free stuff.
So take your limp brain off your soapbox and start reading what is actually in front of you. You will find life makes more sense.

A JACK

4Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

The Arthur C. Brooks work, "Who Really Cares" well outlines the profile of the most generous supporters of charity.

Conservatives donate to charity more than liberals, as they believe helping others is their personal duty. Liberals are generous with other peoples money, and somehow feel that government is best able to ease suffering.

Let's look at the Presidential tickets. The Palin's gave 3.3% of their income in 2006 and 1.5% in 2007 (an average of 2.4% for the two years. This percentage is 19x more than Biden and 2.5x more than Obama (before he began his presidential run). The average American family gives about 2% of their income to charitable organizations.

Senator McCain has given 23.1% of his income toward charity, Governor Palin 2.4%, followed by Senator Obama 2.2%, and then lastly Senator Biden at 0.2% (You read that right). These percentages include ALL the giving from ALL the tax returns released by ALL the candidates. No available years were omitted.

Liberals...generous with other peoples money.

5cambridge(2974 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Gonzo, why are you so angry. You are going to give yourself a heart attack. I read more hate in your posts than any others. This isn't meant to put you down, but your posts get a little to personal. Peace.

Obama 08!

6DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I am merely venting. I think that writing your thoughts out can be a nice release from the ailments I must endure being surrounded by morons.
No heart attack here, but thanks for your quasi-genuine concern.
If my posts meet your definition of "a little too personal" then perhaps you need to open yourself to reality a little more. I never use names, personal facts, or anything that pierces the veil of generalities. I don't know these people, but I can and will respond to their ideas. In my opinion some of these people should jump in front of traffic to ease the burden on the rest of us. I am quite sure these thoughts are reciprocated upon me. That's fine. It's America.
You see when people like you think messages like mine are too personal you are counter-acting the very thing you appear to support. Freedom. Here's a tip. Not everyone is nice and we cannot all be friends. Maybe I should only write nice things so I can conform to your utopian views.
Get bent. If you don't like my words don't read them, vote against them, or beg the vindy to remove them. I am sure they will oblige you on some level.

7dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Doctor Gonzo you brought up Obama, so i just stated my points since you took cheap shots at Obama! So you say you don't state names but you did just that with saying,"
They can get a ride to the nearest polling place for a cookie and snort of brandy if they are willing to vote for Obama."
As for your comment:"Take a small leap into traffic for me and save our society the trouble of putting up with your insolence." I know that was directed towards me, so state my name instead of hiding and saying you don't put names. Be a man or woman about it not a coward! You are a very rude human being, and very ignorant. I am a very educated person, who is married with two kids. How dare you tell me to do someting like that. I don't think I am the one who needs to do that anyways. I am a good person who does right by my kids. I am all about helping out the homeless. This was directed at us, the residents, not to be put into a political debate. So can we talk about it without politics involved.

8ytown9999(55 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Here, here Gonzo. I'm sick of listening to people whine that free speech should be all warm and fuzzy and don't dare say anything bad! Please.

And to set the record straight, it was crack, not brandy, that homeless votes were "allegedly" (wink, wink) being bought with in the southern states.

There is no big deal about it because the Democrats are favored by the voter fraud. If there was a single case of voter fraud brought against the McCain camp the media would be in a frenzy.

And back to the point of the post... Nonsocialist, I wouldn't hold my breath for any intelligent responses to your post. You'll either be ignored or get outrageous frothing at the mouth hate rhetoric since liberals can't even concede when you present them with facts. Besides, Joe Biden is too busy hanging out at Home Depot with the guys to donate to charity.

9dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

lol, you are just sooooo funny ytown9999!!!

10ytown9999(55 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Actually dmets, sarcasm was where I was going... not humor.

But thanks for proving my point!

11clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Call ACORN......they will give you anything you need if you sign up to vote for Obama multiple times! That's the new game plan around here these days!

12clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

In answer to the title to this article.....can the homeless help themselves? Yes they can, if they choose to, but most choose to let everyone else help them. I thought that was called enabling.

13dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

ytown9999 i saw the sarcasm, that's why I said you are funny. Please don't assume i read it wrong.

14dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

claylor the title tto the article is Can you help the homeless. Why not donate old clothes, and/or blankets? If you are not using them someone else can and will.

15OhioPerson(76 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

How is registering poor people to vote "buying votes for Obama?" Are you saying McCain doesn't care about poor people? Shouldn't poor people be encouraged to vote? Isn't that what people mean by helping yourself out of your own problems? The old cliche You can't complain if you don't vote...

And nonsocialist, duh Repubs donate more money- THEY *HAVE* MORE MONEY! It could also be said "liberals" donate more time and energy toward social issues- because even though they may not have money, they care and want to help in other ways.

16ytown9999(55 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

dmets, I didn't assume anything, I was being sarcastic again. But aside from the political BS in this post, I agree with you. If you have old stuff you are not using, don't throw it away! Give it to someone who can use it!

17DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

"DoctorGonzo you are so negative, and you need to go get help! I am so glad not eveyone is like you cause we would live in a very cynical place! Also you can go, you know what to yourself too!"

Very nice.

"DoctorGonzo is a closet Repuke-ican KKK racist who's out of touch with America. Why would you bring up Obama in your post if you are not?"

Even better.

Dmets- I think you should refrain from reading anything I write. It puts you in quite a tizzy and I don't want you talking to your kids with that mouth.

OldManStump - I pity your family, friends, and peers. I have no idea how you gather the audacity to say I am a member of the KKK. I am not sure how you developed any race issues with my post about the homeless either. Facts are facts.
It OK though. You want to make strong comments with no validity or substance. Here's one for you: I forsee you dying alone and stupid.

I know what I believe in and I can assure you it does not entail pledging allegiance to a political party. If you really think that's the answer then they have already won.

18dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

doctorgonzo: what is so wrong with what I said that I should not talk to my children with my mouth. I never ever swear or say anything bad in front of my children, or any children at that. As for you judging me, you don't know me. Things you say are just wrong and very negative. This was all about hepling the homeless not sitting here telling me to walk into to traffic or assume how I talk infront of my children. Stick to the subject and instead of going off on rants that have nothing to do with the topic. By the way I know I am an awesome mom, cause I am a positive thinker and don't let the opinions of people like you shake my foundation.

19Ytownnative(1015 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I think we really missed the point on this one.

First off it was never mentioned what kind of cookie.
Second we talking top shelf brandy or E&J?

"if you cant laugh about it your gonna just sit and cry"

20clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

dmets......I do donate to worthy causes, like battered women, for example, but I am not going to help out a crack addict who chooses to live under a bridge and expect me to feed him, while he will turn around and beat someone over the head to get his next fix. Get a job and help yourself.Most of us of the baby boomer generation did not have it all given to us, we had to work and go to school to get what we have, we didn't expect, or even think there would be a handout.

21dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm not say to go any hand them money and/or food. I am saying give old clothing and blankets. I didn't have everything given to me either. I had to work and save to get the things I needed and wanted too! And my parent are part of the baby boom. They instilled in me good moral values, and a very strong work ethic. I never have and never will be with my hand out. I will do for myself and my family what needs to be done. I beleive most of the homeless are that by choice, and need to quit being lazy.

22OhioPerson(76 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

You honestly believe that most the homeless are homeless by choice and that they're lazy? Have you ever met any homeless people? Like talked to them longer than say 1 minute? Most of the homeless I've talked to have lost their health (many in wars fought to make the rich richer) and can't get jobs because of it. Others lost their homes in this mortgage crisis, others are hiding from their parents or exes, and yes, others have drug problems that prevent them from getting/keeping money. None of them are lazy. Walk in someone else's shoes before you judge.

23dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

OhioPerson: I personally know some people who are homeless. For those on drugs there are programs where they can go and get help. That is whether the are homeless or not. I have a close family member who lots their home with this whole mortgage crisis. So yes i do know and talk to them for longer then a minute. You ask what he did. Well since he lots his house and job, he was able to go to truck driving school, on guess who paid? The government, through grants. They actually do those kind of things for people who lose their jobs. So maybe these people need to look into it too. As for those hiding from their exes or parents. There are place who take those people in, like the beatiutde house. For those hiding from their parent, their age plays a big part, are they teen age run aways? If so go back home! I know one guy Who is homelees, by choice. He used to come in where i worked almost everyday. I would buy him a warm cup of coffee. We got to talking and he told me he knows there are places for him to go, and VA hospitals to get medical traetment. But he says that he is not a charity case and can live the life he lives all on his own. I do think most homeless are there by choice, since there are so many resoures out there for them to utilize, but there are those few that fell on very hard times, and did not make the choice to be homeless.

24JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

People who have to state and restate their level of education and how wonderful, generous and intelligent they are scare me. Its abnormal behavior...the fact that they feel the need to overcompensate typically means that none of those things are true. Note I say typically and this is just my opinion.

(Rather than being labeled a coward I should note that my comments are directed at dmets. I'd love to systematically decimate you in a series of subsequent posts but I only have a few minutes...unlike you, who seemingly have all the time in the world to debate trivial points-of-view, perhaps there were lay-offs at the think-tank.)

25dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

JeffLebowski: Nowhere in my post did i state or restate anything about my level of education. Other then the fact that i had to work and go to school for the things I needed and wanted in life. You have no idea if I have my high school diploma, a college degree or my GED. As for nothing i wrote not being true, you try to tell me my brother did not go through losing his house& job, then going to truck driving school? I know he did. You are a very condecending person, who questions someone everyday personal life experiences. As for why I am able to respond so much, I am lucky enough, even in these tough times, to not have to work. I get to be at home with my kids. And before you say anything about I should be with my kids and not on line. I am only one here when they are either at school, napping, or during their homework. As for you inflict great destruction step by step against me, go right ahead. Not like what you say matters to me. I know what i have seen, heard, and done throughtout my life. You can not take that away from me with simple words.

26janitspace(92 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

What about the mentally ill? (Are they just lazy?) Don't forget about the mentally ill veteran. It is so easy to sit in our warm homes and speculate why people are in the situation they are in. As the article stated there are probably as many reasons as there are homeless people. If you are willing to help, then do, if not, why must you poison others with your bigotry?

Have a beautiful day! (Or not.)

27DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Here are the trends in the economy that have showed themselves over the last 70 years since FDR took us out of the depression:
Up, down, up, down, up, down etc. If you suffer from memory loss than perhaps you are excused from the lesson, but anyone who tries to blame certain administrations for economic turbulence is, well, simple minded.
Carter left the country in economic hell, Reagan brought it out and then left it in economic hell again before Bush took office. Clinton had a 10% unemployment rate during his administration? Remember that? Then the economy took off in the late 1990's and it was falling again when dubya got in. 9-11 caused the largest recession to date (re-read what I just wrote before you contradict) and then the economy took off again to unprecedented highs. Now we are facing another downturn. It is a cycle, just like your simple brain waves.
Politicians do influence the economy, but the capitalist system is self-correcting on the whole. That is until outside forces like government screw around with it.

These two guys running for president are proposing the most socialistic ideas that I have ever heard. They will choke the system to death and then we can all look at the ivory towers where your beloved politicians sneer at us while we wait for bread. But scoff if you like, those with synapses firing at higher rates know exactly what I am saying.

Straight economics man.

28JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

dmets -- Just an opinion from a working stiff, nothing to get all upset about. I'm confused by your double-negative, though: "nothing i wrote not being true," what does that mean? Matters of opinion are neither true nor false and I was careful to preface my opinion with the word "typically." You see, we in the working world have to be very careful in how we word things; this fact is not lost on others in the working world but for others perhaps it is.

I totally skipped over the post where you discussed your brother's situation but read it after you called my attention to it; the job going away is brutal and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy but if (and only IF) he signed up for an ARM when he mortgaged his house its tough for me to sympathize. Lack of fiscal understanding and/or responsibility by those who signed up for these types of mortgages have thrown things out of whack for the rest of us and in my opinion foreclosure on those types of people is the only thing that can set it right.

29dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

JeffLebowski: The house being lost was due to him losing his job, not some crazy mortgage rate. He did try to find a job but there are not many jods around here,so he went to truck driving school. He does have a job now that he has a trade/skill. Sorry i ment to say that evrything i wrote not being true. That was me not proof reading what I was posting. As for me not working, I did work til almost nine months ago. My husband and I felt very strongly, me being at home to raise our children was the better choice. So i may not get paid money for what I do, but i think instilling strong values in our children and being there to actually raise them is a hugh positive in their lives. What I do is priceless, no amount of money could ever take the place of being able to here for my children, to watch them grow and learn. I to will work again once all my children are in school. I'm not a cold hearted person, I do believe some people's situation are not chosen by them. I do understand some people are homeless due the the economy. There are places and people out there to help them through these tough times.

30clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

dmets, what you do by staying home and raising your kids does NOT have a price tag on it, it will pay off tenfold in the end when your kids grow up to have morals and values. You can't be "paid" enough, there is not enough to pay you! But that's not the point here. I think Jeff is saying, if you were stupid enough to think that buying a beautiful house for zero per cent down without asking questions, you deserve what you got. A lot of your generation thinks that you should start out with only the best, it is demeaning to get married and buy a little house that you can afford until you are in a position to up-grade. Unfortunately, many have done it, now to find they are in BIG trouble. Our generation has faced job losses and lay-offs but we didn't go for it ALL in the beginning. You guys need to live within your means, not live like your friends, or be a wannabe. It doesn't work that way. I think your brother found that out.

31OhioPerson(76 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Registering the homeless to vote is *not* illegal. http://www.nationalhomeless.org/getin... And the homeless have every right to vote just like any other citizen. Please do your research before repeating statements you hear on FOX "News". And no one is forcing the homeless to vote "their way"- that's impossible. As to voter fraud, check ACORN's website where they describe their side of the issue. http://0.acorn.org/index.php?id=12340

Also, nonsocialist was trying to say Republicans are just nicer people who care more and that's why they donate more. I was responding to that, comparing all Dems to all Repubs, not trying to compare people in Congress to each other. But thanks for the completely irrelevant and uncited factoid there.

And why is tax and spend such a buzz word with people on the right? Isn't that better than borrow and spend? Have you checked the national debt lately???

32dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

claylor: My brother bought a little 3 bedroom home on the westside of youngstown. Not some hugh house he could not afford. He was able to afford it until he lost his job due to the company closing it's doors. So what you are saying does not apply here. He did buy with in a low price range and didn't go hugh. He did put money down on the house. I didn't miss the point, and I think I explained everything very well. The facts are he was able to afford his house for the whole time he worked. Once the place he worked closed he was no longer able to afford it. He did look for another job, could not find one with the lack of jobs in our area, so he went to truck driving school. Now he has a job, and is on his way to getting back on his feet.
As for me and my husband, we do live within our means. We do not live in hugh house either, or own the best of everything. We sacrific things so we can give our kids a awesome life, but do not spoil them. So all the things you are saying do not apply to us either. We started with a small, old starter home, and hope to eventually upgrade to something new and a little bigger. We did not jump in feet first we were very smart about our choices we have made throughout our lives. We live within a budget.

33JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

dmets-I'm totally with you. If anyone was to get any type of assistance it should be people like your brother rather than those who unwisely lived beyond their means by getting an ARM. Again, totally opinion.

To the Doctor's earlier point I understand why government involvement is scary and perhaps even unnecessary but labeling it Socialism seems to be a bit much. My interpretation is that theirs is a move to provide temporary stability until the market rights itself like you describe.

34DoctorGonzo(728 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

You just defined a type of socialism in your last sentence.

Offering to put a moratorium on home foreclosures, buying up bad mortgages from people, the government buying stock in private banks, proposing the government will "work with" private insurance companies to bring down premiums, the government forcing the large wage earners to pay even more income tax than they do now, redistributing wealth to the lowest class (income wise), giving free health care and social security to illegal immigrants who don't pay in, placing income limits on the stimulus package and other tax related deductions and credits, the earned income credit itself, alternative minimum tax, mandating that insurance companies give health care to everyone regardless of preexisting conditions, etc.

These ideals have been offered by both sides for years now. They may not equal socialism exactly but they sure as hell are not ideals of capitalism and a soundly regulated free market. The trend is evident.

When the government bought stock in these banks, who gets the dividends? Who gets the money back when the stock is sold? When the government floods the lending sector with funds who gets the interest when the money is repaid? Where will this money be distributed to?

"Temporary stability" has been going for about three decades now.

35JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I thought we were talking about socialism in general not different variations...

Ours is a difference of opinion, obviously. I tend to believe a globalization of the marketplace has been a catalyst for the trend you describe and that a certain amount of government support (short of financial backing) is necessary to help bolster trade that favors us rather than hurts us, this mentality has bled into all the areas you describe...as those countries that don't have traditional capitalist societies weaken our dollar the government feels the need to act as a tourniquet, for better or worse. In the case of the bailout it was the wrong move (my opinion), but increasing the FDIC backing by $150k was probably a good move -- a good faith offering that truly could act as a stimulant rather than an escape route.

In any case this aggression will not stand, man.

36RobinVanPersie(9 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Of course I can help homeless people.

I believe the more apt question is CAN THEY HELP THEMSELVES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

37George412(161 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't know. If you lost your home, your money, and [likely] your self worth, how would you help yourself?

38clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

dmets, I am glad you are thinking with a clear head, you guys will do just fine. I am sorry about your brother, after what you have said, he seems to have done things right, you know S...t happens, been there, done that, but somehow things work out. Have faith. It WILL work out for him.As long as he is carrying the ball, he will score that touchdown. Give it time.

39YSUgrad99(200 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

We need to take homeless people and entitlement recipients and put them into some sort of job/skills training. We can't just keep giving handouts forever!

40dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

They can get job/skills training, but they need to want to do it. There are people who find them self homeless and are proactive right from the start. But there are those who my lose all hope, so maybe they need conciling to let them know they are worth betting on themselves. Then they will want to go for the training.