idora park Carousel Idora Park’s carousel is fondly remembered by those who frequented the Youngstown amusement park, but the team of horses is far away from the trails of the Valley.
U The 48-horse and two-chariot carousel made its debut at Idora Park in 1922 along with two other attractions, the fun house and the Dodgems. The park spent more than $100,000 on the park that year.
U The merry-go-round was built in 1922 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company.
U In 1932, due to tough economic times, the cost to ride the carousel was only 5 cents.
U In 1959, the horses got a new coat of paint.
U In 1975, the carousel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
U The carousel was spared during the fire of 1984 as well as the ballroom and the Jack Rabbit.
U On Oct. 20, 1984, the carousel was put up for auction. The first bid on the lead horse was $10,000. The bid for the armored horse topped out at $23,500.
U Jane and David Walentas, a couple from New York, bid $385,000 to keep the carousel together. It was estimated that about $700,000 was brought in from the Idora Park auction.
U The carousel was transported to Brooklyn, N.Y., and underwent more then 22 years of restoration.
U Today the Idora Park carousel sits in a building in DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) and is awaiting a new home in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Source: Vindicator files and “Idora Park the Last Ride of Summer” by Rick Shale and Charles J. Jacques Jr.