Board denies parole for confessed murderer

By Tim Yovich

The murderer’s son is so frightened of his dad that he opposed his parole, the prosecutor says.

WARREN — A confessed murderer who cut his victim’s remains into more than a dozen parts and scattered them has been denied parole by the Ohio Parole Board.

In opposing the parole of Roy G. Green, 56, Dennis Watkins, Trumbull County prosecutor, wrote the board that Green’s Warren Township home “had become a slaughterhouse.”

The board ruled Wednesday that Green will remain in the Mansfield Correctional Institute until May 1, 2018, before he is again eligible for parole.

Green pleaded guilty April 4, 1995, in common pleas court to murder with a gun specification, abuse of a corpse and receiving stolen property. He was sentenced to 18 years to life in prison.

Watkins, who prosecuted Green, told the board in his letter that Green was in the garage of his residence with his son, Roy G. Morgan III, and the victim, Devin Griffin, on Dec. 23, 1994.

According to Morgan, Green went into the garage with a shotgun, pointed it at Griffin and told him to put his hands up. Morgan left and returned to the house.

A short time later, Watkins wrote, Morgan heard two shots fired.

Green returned to the house and told his son, “Don’t tell a madman to kill you because he will.”

Early the next morning, the prosecutor wrote, Green woke up his son and asked him to help move some garbage bags that were in some tubs in the garage. They drove to a small partially frozen pond and threw the bags into the pond.

A human hand came out of one of the bags and remained on the surface of the thin ice. Morgan then realized that Griffin was dead, and his father threatened him and told him not to tell anyone.

A few days after throwing the bags in the pond, Green went to his son and asked him to help get rid of other bags containing Griffin’s remains.

They went to a wooded area off Eighth Street in Warren where a hole was already dug and threw the bags into the hole. Green then poured bleach over them.

Watkins said Morgan was the key witness in solving the case, leading investigators to the body parts, and he and other members of Green’s family still fear Green.

About a month later, and with the help of Morgan, police dug up Griffin’s body parts, including the victim’s head. When the pond was searched, eight more pieces of Griffin’s body were found.

In seeking denial of Green’s parole, Watkins pointed out that the families of both Griffin and Green along with Warren Township police opposed the release.

Watkins wrote that he has prosecuted several dismemberment cases, but the Green case “involved more butchery than all of them.”

“His home became his slaughterhouse. His son became his pawn to threaten and use. Furthermore, killing with two shotgun blasts was not enough. He went to the ax and knife after the man was dead,” the prosecutor said.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.