Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Putting faith in Jesus will give you strength to overcome evil

Published: Sat, July 19, 2008 @ 12:00 a.m.

The hope of victory in all of the battles you face in this world starts with absolute surrender to Jesus Christ. It is only when you are willing to trust him with your weaknesses that he can make you strong in his power.

Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 12:10, “For when I am weak, then I am strong — the less I have, the more I depend on him.” Paul understood that he could not endure on his own all the persecutions and hardships he suffered. His strength came from knowing that Jesus was using the pain he suffered to overcome his weaknesses. Paul was made stronger with every battle Jesus took him through. He knew that even death had no power over him. For that reason Paul was able to say in Philippians 1:21, “For me to live is for Christ and to die is gain.”

It is only by the strength of Christ who lives in us that we can overcome all the forces of evil that try to defeat us everyday. There is no stronghold in your life that can destroy you when you have put your faith in Jesus. He is all that you need because he alone can do all things.

By his death and resurrection, Jesus has freed you from the chains of bondage to sin. You now can have peace in the midst of a storm because you know that God’s purpose for your life cannot be stopped. The enemy cannot steal your joy when you are in a painful trial because Jesus is always with you and he has promised you a reward that far outweighs all you are going through. Although we live in a lost world, we can stand firmly in the hope that Christ has made us joint heirs with him in a kingdom that will never be destroyed.

The struggles of this world may make you weary but they are no match for the promises of God who has made us more than conquerors. The enemy roams this earth trying to fill you with his lies of hopelessness and defeat. But Jesus came to bring light and truth to a dark world so that we can live without fear knowing that he will bring us through all of our problems.

You need to know that you have an eternal hope in Jesus Christ and he will never fail you. It does not matter what heartache or pain you are in — his love is able to heal and comfort you.

The peace that God brings can sustain you in even the darkest storm if you are willing to trust him. We read in 2 Chronicles 16:9, “For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.” Jesus is the only force you need to stay strong in the battle because his blood on Calvary paid the price for your victory.

The best thing about the love of Christ is that he is willing to meet you where you are. He wants to give you his power to overcome your weaknesses. He wants to restore your life and give you a future. He wants to give you victory over all that comes against you.

And most importantly, Jesus wants to give you eternal life with him in heaven.

Salvation is found only in Jesus. There is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12) It is my prayer that you will call upon his name today.

XMarianne B. Lordi attends Highway Tabernacle in Austintown.

Comments

1janeabrahim(1 comment)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

My dear XMarianne B. Lordi

We should ponder are we the Lost sheep of Israel( the
Jews)?.

Why Jesus was very reluctant to help Gentile
and even consider helping them as throw bread to dog?

Mark 7:24-23New American Standard Bible)

24(C)Jesus got up and went away from there to the region of
(D)Tyre[a]. And when He had entered a house, He wanted no one to know
of it; yet He could not escape notice.

25But after hearing of Him, a woman whose little daughter had an
unclean spirit immediately came and fell at His feet.

26Now the woman was a [b]Gentile, of the Syrophoenician race. And she
kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter.

27And He was saying to her, "Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."

28But she answered and said to Him, "Yes, Lord, but even the dogs under the table feed on the children's crumbs."

Matthew 15:21-28 (New International Version)

21Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
22A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord,Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."

23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."

24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

25The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.

26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

Matthew 4:10

" Thou shall not prostrate before any (even Jesus) but the Lord, your God: And HIM alone should you worship"

Matthew 7:21

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

If you want to go heaven, stop serve, pray and prostrate to Jesus but pray and ask from the Father, the Almighty God the Creator in heaven.

Good Luck

2George412(161 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't even know why any of this has been published. It's nonsense.

3AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Marianne

I have read several of your articles and I enjoy them very much. There are many that are lost but I do not mean this in a negative way. They simply have not found and experienced the fullness of christ.

4Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Marianne has the answer to what is going on in our city. Jesus. Imagine if every thug would turn to Jesus. Imagine if every person who abuses others would turn to Jesus. Imagine the hyprocrites and the "religious" and the proud if they turned to Jesus. This city would be transformed!

Jesus does not promise a carefree life. But he does promise to change your life and to help you through the trials that this life brings everyone.

My husband died and I was left with two young boys. I had no money and very little job skills. How does one make it through something like that? I don't know what would have happened if I did not know Jesus.

5evewil333(2 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

I am very thankful to you for publishing this article. It is refreshing to read something good in the newspaper for a change. Depression, recession, murder and high prices is all there has been for a long while and I thank you for being obedient to the Almighty in spreading some good news to our area.

6George412(161 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

There are many of us who are happy, fulfilled, and moral without the "salvation" of Jesus Christ. This piece wasn't news...it's simplistic and platitudinous moralizing more appropriate for Sunday services.

With or without Jesus, there is a great deal of good going on in this community, the question is, why aren't you paying attention to it?

7AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

This article was appropriately posted in the Saturday Religion section. Readers were free to read or skip this article as they felt. As one that has done a great amount of good for this community, I proudly proclaim that my morality is the direct result of Christ's salvation for me. I can safely say that much of the bad that occurs in our community is due to individuals that refuse to acknowledge Christ.

8George412(161 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Much of the discrimination that occurs in our community is due to individuals and organizations who corrupt Christ's messages for their own gain.

9marianne(66 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

I am writing to reason peacefully with the writers of some of the comments.
I would like to speak to Jane who brought up the Syro-Phoenician woman who asked Jesus to heal her daughter. Jesus told the woman that he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel. He then told her that it was not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs.
First of all, the lost sheep were the Jewish people for whom salvation first came. That was the plan of God knowing that the Jews would reject him and therefore salvation would be given to the Gentiles or non-Jews.(Read Romans 11) Gentiles were often referred to as "dogs". Jesus was using the term of that day to test the faith of this woman. The Gentile woman who wanted a healing from Jesus was a pagan who worshipped the mother-goddess "Ashtoreth". Somewhere in her struggle with her daughter, she must have realized that there was no strength in that god so she turned to Jesus. She probably had seen or heard of the miracles he had done and decided to put her trust in the Christ. Her faith was rewarded as Jesus healed her daughter. Jesus is ALWAYS a rewarder of those who put their faith in him.
Secondly, the comment of Matthew 4:10 where Jesus tells Satan "Worship the Lord your God and serve him only", Jesus said that because Jesus IS God. As you see in Matthew 4:7, Jesus told Satan, "Do not put the Lord your God to the test". Jesus is the Son of the Living God! He is God and even Satan knew that. He was appealing to Jesus in the flesh hoping to tempt him but it did not work.
As far of the comment about if I want to go to heaven I must pray and ask from Father, Jesus answers that in John 14:6 when he says, "No one comes to the Father except through me". The only way to be saved and go to heaven is through Jesus Christ! His death and resurrection paid the price for all to be saved. You need only call upon his name.
I pray that you do.
To Goerge412, if you believe you are happy, fulfilled and moral without Jesus, you are in error. But I cannot open your eyes to that. Only God can unveil your eyes and he will do that if you ask him. Whether you believe it or not does not matter for one day your knee will bow before him.
I pray that you will find that out before it is too late.
Also, God will deal with those who corrupt Christs teachings for their own gain. If this is all nonsense to you as you say, the Apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:14, "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned".
My prayers are for you all. I will continue to write on the truth of Jesus Christ for as long as he enables me.

10George412(161 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Marianne, all due respect, but I've earned two degrees and I've studied multiple theologies. I'm also a committed social activist and a loving parent. I don't need you to pray for me. I find your approach to Christ's teachings, based on my extensive study of the Bible and its social/historical context, to be overly simplistic and dogmatic.

My eyes are wide open because I chose to enlarge my world view through education and personal study. I don't "believe" that I am "happy, fulfilled, and moral without Jesus," I know it. That is why I don't feel the need to extensively evangelize, and endlessly quote scripture, and parrot dogma.

It's called independent thought. I'll pray that you develop the intellect to embrace it.

11marianne(66 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Dear George, the Pharisees also believed that their eyes were wide open through their extensive study of Scriptures but all their so called knowledge blinded them to their Redeemer, the Christ for which the Scrptures spoke about.
Jesus said to those who were wise in their own eyes in John 5:39, "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life". I am glad that you have two degrees but Jesus says in Matthew 11, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children".

I am not condemning you because I once was where you are. I thank my Savior for revealing himself to me that I may be called a child of the King.

You can question my intellect (If you can't attack the argument, attack the person)as you pray that I develop the independent thinking that you have, but is atacking me perosnally what a person with 2 degrees is relegated to? I know that I am filled with the wisdom and knowledge of the true God as he reveals it to me and for that , I will eternally praise Jesus.

I am not trying to outwit you nor am I here to argue. You have made your opinion known and that is your right which I respect.

12George412(161 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Marianne, my questioning your intellect was a response to you questioning my happiness and my morality. I believe that you said I was "in error" about both. Of course I didn't "attack your argument;" you weren't making one.

You certainly may keep on quoting scripture; it doesn't have any more effect on me now than it did when I decided to stop being Catholic 30 years ago in fifth grade. I find that kind of random and usually out of context (social and historical as well as textual) scriptural quoting to be, as I've already said, overly simplistic and dogmatic. Repeating someone else's teachings does not make you a thinker. I can quote everyone from Christ to Shakespeare to John Stewart, but if I can't craft an independent thought, I'm not much of an intellect.

I just think it's unnecessary for a community NEWSpaper to even contain a "Religion" section, especially when the only religion really getting any play is a particular sect of Christianity (although it pains me to use his name in reference to this group) that has an over-reaching socio-political agenda.

And by the way, I "praise Jesus" all of the time.

13marianne(66 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

George, I am not merely quoting someone else's teachings when I quote Scripture, I am speaking truth that has been revealed to me when I accepted Christ as my personal Savior. By the way, I also can quote Shakespeare by memory quite expansively and I am well versed from my youth when I would read a book a day. I have independent thoughts but you should know that all such thoughts are formed from what you read and what you watch.

In saying that, through all that I have done and all that I have experienced, one truth stood out for me-Jesus Christ changed my life! Nothing and no one was able to do for me what his love has done. It is for that reason that I share his love with others so that they can have hope and a future.

At one time in my life I was like you. You couldn't tell me that I needed to be born again to be saved because I thought I knew it all. I also was once Catholic and I didn't think I needed to know anything more. So I went on with my life. I became a Registered radiologic technologist, an accoutant, a writer and a business owner I thought I could do everything myself but I was wrong. I thought I was good enough, but again, I was wrong. It took the touch of Christ upon my life to open my eyes to the real truth. He saved me ,an undeserving sinner, and gave me a new life. I am not into religion. Religion is man's way to reach God. I am in a relationship that I chose with my own "independent" thinking because there is no one like Jesus. Is it simplistic to ask Jesus into your heart and be saved? Yes! Unfortunately it is so simple that stiff necked people refuse to accept that Christ death paid the price for our sins. They think they can earn their own way to heaven.

It is so "simple" yet Jesus said in Matthew 7:13 "For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it". FEW FIND IT! How sad is that? It is like the Pharisees in Scripture that thought they knew it all too. They had the first five books of the Torah memorized and yet they could not see the Savior standing right in front of them! They too were independent thinkers.

George, it does not matter how intelligent you are. In the end, the real truth will be shown when Jesus returns. Are you willing to gamble the price of eternity that you are right in what you believe? Do you truly think you can get to heaven on your own? ( Of course I do not even know if you believe in heaven or hell.) If you can honestly say you have no doubts then this dialogue should just end since there will be no point to it.

I am also sorry that you took my Scripture quotes as being dogmatic. That was never my intent. I am, however, glad that you praise Jesus all the time. That's a start.

14cozmo(32 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

The next question becomes...What does it mean to have faith in Jesus? The scriptures tell us that not everyone who calls Lord Lord will be saved. Faith is also doing what Jesus instructs us to do. Faith without works is dead. The Catholic Church which was the original Church that Christ founded himself and which was the Church that canonized all the scriptures into the Bible has the sacraments which are the foundation of faith. God bless everyone

15JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

"Let's not start a holy war here, Harris."

/Jake Taylor'd