facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Youngstown council OKs sewer project



Published: Thu, February 7, 2008 @ 12:00 a.m.

City council also dedicated $2,500 to the Crawford

family.

By ANGIE SCHMITT

VINDICATOR STAFF WRITER

YOUNGSTOWN — City council has issued its approval to a $1.1 million sewer project at the corner of Marshall Street and Oak Hill Avenue.

The city will provide 60 percent of the funding for the sewer separation project, said Chuck Sasho, deputy director of public works. The remaining 40 percent will be provided for by a grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission, he said.

The project will involve rebuilding the sewer line to separate it from the storm-water line, said Sasho.

“During heavy rain events, [the sewer] gets inundated with clean water, and it overflows the pump station,” he said.

The backup can cause sewage to escape into the environment untreated.

Also at the Wednesday night council meeting:

UCity council accepted a $16,000 donation from the Raymond John Wean Foundation to assist with administrative aspects of the Homeless Continuum of Care.

UCouncil members accepted grant dollars totaling $252,731 to conduct health department programs providing dental care, infant immunization and sexually transmitted disease prevention for city residents.

UCity council authorized the purchase of a new firetruck for the fire department. Grant funds will pay for the vehicle.

UCouncil members voted to donate $2,500 to the surviving members of the Crawford family. Six members of that family were killed when their Stewart Avenue home was set on fire Jan. 23.

“We wanted to help,” said Carol Rimedio-Righetti, D-4th. “That’s what we’re here to do, not only legislate.”

The money, taken from the city’s general fund, will be deposited into an account for the survivors at National City Bank, said Mayor Jay Williams.

aschmitt@vindy.com


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport