Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Man accused in dragging case free on bond

Published: Tue, December 9, 2008 @ 1:04 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — The dragging death of a Columbiana man was a horrible accident up until the point Bryce D. Burke was told there was a body under his car and fled, then it became criminal, a city prosecutor said.

City Prosecutor Jay Macejko said Tuesday that it’s “highly unlikely” that Burke, now charged with felony failure to stop after an accident, will face any additional charges once a coroner’s report on the death of Andrew Culp is released. Culp, 22, of North Main Street, Columbiana was found in the westbound lane of Midlothian Boulevard near Euclid Boulevard on Nov. 29 and died from his injuries.

Burke, 26, of Mercedes Place, Canfield, came to municipal court Tuesday with his lawyer, J. Gerald Ingram. Judge Robert P. Milich set bond at $10,000, allowing 10 percent to be posted. Bond was posted. He is expected back in court Wednesday for arraignment and to have a pretrial hearing scheduled.

For more, read Wednesday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1DRDAVE1965(80 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

MUST BE A WHITE GUY

2YoungstownMom(46 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I know if it was me, I sure would not get out on 10% of 10,000 bond, after I killed someone. Money talks, bullsh$t stays in jail.

3dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

That is what it usually is 10% of the bond. I also believe this to a huge accident. I do not think the guy knew there was a body, and when he found out he freaked out.

4sobeit(98 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I also think this was a tragic accident. Yes, Burke should have stopped and proceeded to call police when he discovered Culp's body was under the car. But I don't think he is a murderer. I would like to know how the body got there in the first place. Has anyone heard the answer to that?

5YoungstownMom(46 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I heard that he was in a fight at Utopia and was dragged out of the place. He was then beat up in the parking lot and the guy(or guys) left him on the ground. He must have been just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

6clyde(5 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Whether he knew the human being was there prior to the drive-thru is irrelelavant. After seeing him with his own eyes he made the choice to disreguard that young man's life by dragging him some more. The young man was still alive when they found him two blocks later. So, please, explain how you believe this can be justified!?!?

7totalnonsense(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

he should be charged with more then faliure to report a dang accident.. the mo fo should be charged with murder.. fleaing a crime scene.. and tampering with evadince.. the kids a loser.. i can't believe he's getting off so easy.. cause he is white he gets a slap on the wrist.. makes me wanna go hit n kill someone so i can get away with murder...

8dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

First off I heard that he was in a fight with a partner, they were taken out of the bar. He, Andrew, was suicidal, and laid down in the street. The driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also must state I completely hate when people make everything a race issue! They may charge the driver with more pending the autopsy report. But I do belive this is a freak accident in which no one ever dreamed of being a part of anytime in their lives! I also do not think this person who was driving is a murderer.

9scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey Doc,
Of coarse he's a white guy....look at his address.....CANFIELD

10njb5619(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Ya your right it's because he's a white guy, because if he was a black guy the jury would be half black and find him innocent or there would be a hung jury and charges dismissed. Or better yet just charge him and cut him a deal like all the black guys for 3 years on murder charges. by no means am I defending this kid, just pointing out the obvious. You people need to look at yourselves. Totalnonsense you may want to learn how to spell evidence. Obviously you have "hood vocabulary" evadince.....hahaha. And before anyone starts saying I'm biased because I know him or am related to him I'm not, never even met the kid. And scrooge just because you don't have the money to live in canfield makes him a white guy? Yes your right he probably is because the trash with no money is in Youngstown....Trust me I see it everyday. Have a nice day everyone!!

11wonderwall(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

My heart goes out to both families going through this. People are so quick to judge when they really have no idea what was/is going on in either one of those young men's lives. Mental illness is no joke, and if Andrew was suicidal he had a plan way before this. God rest his soul and be with his family. Race/Sexual preference is not the issue here, and I really don't think someone who "planned" to run someone over would go through McDonalds dragging the body?! Come on people! I am not saying he shouldn't be punished, but I do think that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and I am sure the pain he will have to live with the rest of his life will be punishment in itself. There are so many factors that could come into play, and if you don't know the details assuming makes you all look like fools.

12clyde(5 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't know whether it matters if he was white or black or where he lived...I do know that something isn't right. Is it all political and it's all in who you know?? I have heard that his family has ties to the judicial system and also other family of his. If anyone does personally know Bryce Davis Burke, I'd love to let him know that I was able to catch everything his my space had to say before he set it to private and has now deleted it. The pictures alone spoke a million words. Andrew was not suicidal, I knew him personally. In saying that, I know that all the money in the world or "knowing people" couldn't make Bryce any where near the man that Andrew was. I'd just like to ask Bryce..If that was YOUR child under the car at McDonalds....would you still have ran like a coward???

13bluegill(21 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Burke has 2 reckless operation charges against him already. <prior to this>. Anybody besides me think a least one of them stemmed from a drinking and driving charge? Is that why his father and the lawyer went to the police station first? Did Jr. need to sober up?

14aholamio(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

They are just mad because blacks are considered lower than gays. If he was white it would have been 5% of 10,000.

15bluegill(21 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

They were both white <ahem>

16IndianaReader(2 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm not from Ohio, but I have been reading all the comments that have been posted since this accident has taken place. My heart goes out to both familys. We should not be passing judegement on either young men. Yes, the young man was told by a customer in the drive thur that there was a person under his car, but he made the choice to leave, instead of going back and looking, granted he may have been scared not knowing what to do, but then his comment was wrong. I am trying to still figure out why someone else did not see this, come on people you can't tell me that people don't have cell phones now, why couldn't someone have called sooner 911, when this man was driving all over town and lord knows where else. He was in traffic wasn't he? Either way this is not going to change and bring back the person, who left behind not only family, but friends. Like I said we all should not pass judgement, this is the courts job.

17undead76(63 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

The drive through is pretty much across the street from Utopia. They were not driving around town.

18annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

does everyone here understand where we live?? in case anyone was wondering, we all live in youngstown or a suburb of youngstown which isn't any cooler even if it is called canfield. sorry guys. just because the homes cost most doesn't mean that the drugs and the crimes aren't there. newsflash...everyone knows about it. everyone got that or are we going to continue talking smack about who's white/black/better whatever. we're all one. got it freaks.

19clyde(5 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

undead76...Although Utopia and McDonalds are on the same street, I would hardly say that they are pretty much across the street from one another. 1/4 of a mile, maybe? Long enough distance to hear or feel a body under a cobalt. I doubt the victim felt the buildings were that close either. Burke definetly has ties to the judicial system. Whether it be his mom or someone else. He has now weaseled out of a DUI charge. Anyone that will speak honestly about little Bryce will admit he loved his alcohol..not to mention the proof that his my space showed before it was conviently deleated. He bragged about liking to party and posted pics to prove it. Andrew's family was told that he was going to be arrested Monday afternoon...how is it that he then wasn't and able to turn himself in the next day, only to be bonded out and not even have to spend one night in jail? He had plenty of time to sober up, make any repairs needed to the car and contact all his connections. He is taking no responsibility at all for his actions. He dragged a live human being under his car after KNOWING he was there.
The only peace that I have is that Andy is at peace and that God doesn't care "who you know".

20annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

clyde i understand that you have suffered a great loss. we have all lost someone close to us and sometimes it happens in a very tragic way. i understand that you are angry but it's obvious that you do have some facts wrong. just because an arrest was announced one day doesn't mean that was the day everything went down. the vindicator ran a story on dec 1 pleading with everyone to help find the driver when burke had already been in contact with detectives. way to crack the case there vindicator. my suggestion to you is to wait until it's all over, listen to all the facts, heck contact a detective since i'm sure they know more than people on this site or the vindicator. keep in mind that any one of us could have been driving down midlothian that night. we can all say that we know what we would have done but deep down we know that's bull. and furthermore, i don't think it matters if burke liked to "work hard and party hard" you're trying to discredit someone that you say clearly liked to drink sometimes. so you saw pics of him having a good time and he admitted it on his myspace. be careful my friend. everyone's searching myspace lately and i have to say it's a bit disturbing when you run across a myspace stating that andrew and a lover enjoyed "tripping on acid". not cool. but i'm sure that myspace will be gone today. again, i understand your pain. you are sad...you are angry...you want justice. i get that. but the truth is that the posts on here are ridiculous. lives are ruined here and that's the bottom line. it doesn't matter who you know or what your "drug" of choice is. instead of everyone bothering with who had a better time out, why doesn't anyone wonder why andrew was in the road in the first place? there's a good chance that someone else had already struck him and left. since everyone on here is so intelligent, why hasn't anyone mentioned that yet?

21totalnonsense(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

njb5619- first off.. don't go correcting my spelling.. second off. i know more on the case then your sorry butt ever will... for those of us who knew Andrew personally.. he was true beauty to the world and always looked on the bright side... who cares what he did with his life.. everything he did was to try and better himself or temp. forget the pain life had brought to him... even in the darkest times... even when things got rough he never said one bad thing about people... if i was ever down he'd tell me to brighten up find something to ease the pain now but tomorow is a new day n things will seem different... and utopia is .667 of a mile form where the body was found do you guys no nothing... i don't even live in yo-town and i know that gezz. and personally hey ANNOYED what does it matter what ANdrew did it was his life not yours stop judging... oh and to indianareader.. you haven't been following the whole story... the driver did go back and look at andrews feet hanging from his car he cursed then jumped in his car and drove away... follow your story... and just cause i suck at spelling don't mean crap "hood vocabulary" your a joke njb5619... I don't live anywhere close to the freaking hood.. thank you

22undead76(63 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

My point was they were not driving around Youngstown like "Weekend at Bernies" This ALL happened in about a half mile. I didn't know either of these two, and I don't think I ever would want to know them. It just seems that it could have happened to one or the other.

23annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

totalnonsense...i'm sorry if i have offended you or anyone else by what i said. that was not my intention. i never said that i thought andrew was a bad person. i never knew him to say that. do i think what he did during his private time was normal?? absolutely not. sorry. but never did i say that i thought he was a bad person for doing it. never. the point of all this is that i dont think everyone should make burke out to be a monster because he posted on his myspace that he likes to party hard. get it? you want to be mad? be mad. you lost your friend. what do you think is actually happening right now? do you think burke is living the good life? do you think he sleeps cozy at night? you need to wake up. just like i said before. it doesn't matter what they did for fun. lives are ruined. not only for those involved but for their families and friends.

24IndianaReader(2 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Totalnonsense I'm sorry also if you lost a friend. But I think you need to go back and read the 12-1 newspaper again. Like the paper said" The man got out of his car,looked underneath and then drove off without paying or getting his food, police said". The body was found (2)- two blocks west on Midlothian. Either way this was my point, why did he have to keep driving if he knew this and too drive two blocks with someone under his car. And one last question for you, you said he jumped out of his car looked at Andrews feet hanging from the car, he cursed then jumped in his car and drove off.... My question for you that I have is.... Were you their also, how would you have known this that he cursed, or are you the caller who called 911. Either way not going to change things, like I said go back and read 12-1...

25totalnonsense(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

INDIANAREADER... i freaking said check your story.. this dang newspaper ain't the only on out there one article plainly states he was informed of the body went back looked at the two feet stated a expressent (or how ever the big word for cursing is said) covered his mouth jumped back in the car and drove off at a high rate of speed.. it also talks about the pools of blood and everything... first off.. maybe he didn't mean to hack off Andrew but who the hell hits somebody and decides mcdonalds sounds tasty... a sick person.. Burke probably isn't a monster but maybe something is twisted in his head just slightly.. one if i hit someone and ran i wouldn't be like hhmmm i'd like a double cheese burger and fries.. i'd be shaken n freakin out...

26totalnonsense(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

http://morningjournalnews.com/page/co... oh read it urself.. mr./mrs. gonna assume my butt was there and was too stupid to follow the dick.. dragging my friends body.. yea makes since

27LackofFaith(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

i have heard / read a lot about all this mess. i do agree that it seems as if the driver of the cobalt is getting a slap on the wrist, weather its because he is armed with a good lawyer, his mother works for the county courts or maybe he has ties at YPD. i agree with the work hard / play hard attitude, what you do with your hard earned money is fine with me until someone gets hurt or worse. burke's driving record has had 2 reckless operation charges in the past most likely DUIs pleaded down because "good Lawyer" or "connections". Anyone else would taken their good luck of getting reduced charges and may changed their ways a little. but then again when you never have had to deal with consequences would you every worry about them either? i feel that local law enforcement and judicial system both will have let us all down if no other charges are filed against the driver. If the head detective on this case has stated on numerous occasions that the victim in this crime was breathing while being rushed to the hospital. it doesnt take much common sense to figure someone is under your car bleeding or worse, you decide to drive away, which is a large factor in the loss of this young mans life ,seems like manslaughter to me. this could have ended as a dui and someone injured but instead of doing what was right, burke took matters into his own hands and decided to go home. he could have been at the wrong place at the wrong time up until being in the drive thru but after that the mentality that too many of our fellow american have came out in the drive "F - U im worried about me". that self centered attitude that so many people have will become the demise of our people.

28ytown7(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree this guy is getting a slap on the wrist.I feel bad for Culp's family.None and i mean none of us on here know 100% what happened that night.I gotta say though I stop if I was was dragging an animal let alone a HUMAN LIFE somebodys son or nephew come on.

29annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

just wondering if anyone is paying attention here. as far as we know no one ever said that burke actually hit the victim. it's never been reported in any newspaper. it's never been said on the the news. if i am not mistaken, the victim was already in the road whether he was hit by another car or passed out etc. so obviously burke didn't know that he had went over or dragged anyone. regardless of anything anyone says on this post, we all know that you do not knowingly drag someone and then decide you are going to pull into the nearest drive thru for a burger. sorry guys. i'm having a real hard time believing that story. so anyway, he's told there is someone under his car and gets out to check. imagine how horrifying that had to have been. especially when you had no idea because if you did you wouldn't stop to feed your face. he freaks out and decides he is going to leave. what if he didn't know that the body was connected to the car? i don't know. i guess no one will know until this is all over. in my opinion, everyone thinks burke is getting a slap on the wrist. how does anyone know that? his pre trial hasn't even come around yet. and no offense but i don't consider living with what he saw and the decision he made a slap on the wrist. i personally think it's weird that people on here think that his mom could possibly help him. this wasn't something small that could be swept under the rug. and once again i don't think anyone should ever say what they "would have done" i think a more appropriate way to put it is what we "hope to do" during a moment of panic.

30totalnonsense(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

YEA.. IF I SEE A BODY LAYING IN THE ROAD I'LL BE SURE TO DRIVE OVER IT FOR YOU

31annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

wow grow up.

32LackofFaith(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree burke will have to deal with this for the rest of his life... That's so unfair to him. Poor guy, that would be terrible to have to deal with the result of your own actions... If he turned him self in at mcd's I'd have some sympathy for him , maybe. The stress and pain he has caused himself and numerous others as a direct result of this adult making a decision, I have very little sympathy for him at this point regaurdless of what happened prior to the drive thru. Anyone who doesn't know what they "would have done" needs to turn in their drivers liscense out of respect of other drivers In the area.

33sobeit(98 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I feel bad for the parents in this matter.

34annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

i agree sobeit.

no one is hurting more than their parents are. it's devastating.

35annoyed(13 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

oh and lackoffaith, good luck with your well thought out plan for life. i'm glad you already know how you would react in a serious situation and find it fascinating that you know you will be in complete control if something horrifying happens to you. congrats. if only everyone could be so sure about themselves we would be living in a perfect world.

36LackofFaith(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I do my best

37scrooge(563 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

You have to admit the driver was premeditated enough to leave McD parking lot after discovering the body. If it was in panic I feel most people would have lost it right there. As it is, his first thought was to flee.
Whether he knew the victim or not is irrelivant. The fact that he actually got out of the car and inspected it tells me he didn't know he was under there.(if he did-why go thru the freakin drive-thru?)
This will be an interesting case to follow. I'm not sure which way I lean on this one. I'm usually pretty opinionated (see my posts on other threads) but this one has me thinking. Glad I won't be on the jury.

38spoiledbratt(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

My question is .... has anyone ever hit a dead animal laying in the roadway because you was unable to swerve due to traffic ????? Well if you have then you all will be able to relate to what im trying to say here , which is ...... You FEEL the thud from it so im sure running over a human being would be much more severe than just a thud !! Whether or not the person driving the car had the stereo blasting or not , he would have still felt it unless maybe he was intoxicated . I myself drive a car similar to the one involved in this tragic accident and believe me i feel every little bump in the road !! One more thing is .... they installed headlights on vehicles so that we can see obstacles at night , so if you are paying attention im certain that seeing a body laying in the roadway would be apparent .

39totalnonsense(10 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

spoiledbratt i so agree with you thats what i have been tring to say.. and the whole traffic thing.. if there was a lot of traffic out someone woulda saw the accident happen.. but ne ways.. if there was traffic someone woulda stopped n called 911 if there was just a random body n the road.. finally some sees what i am talking about..

40bzmomof3(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I am absolutely sickened by reading some of the posts regarding this issue. Why does it seem that so many are missing the big picture here? This young man was well aware at a point that there was a body under his vehicle and CHOSE to flee. Is it not alarming that this young man seems to be missing a moral compass and a conscience? Pathetic that there were news alerts to help find this man. I don't care if he turned himself in or not. Afraid or not, there was a BODY UNDER HIS VEHICLE. He had a responsibility to do the right thing. It is horrible to think of the pain that the families are going through. I am not going to talk about "justice" here. Let's just say that, no matter what happens in court, KARMA is a ...well you know.