Cause of power outage in Hubbard not clear

By Shelby Schroeder

Some Hubbard residents were without power for nearly 14 hours.

HUBBARD — Ohio Edison has not disclosed the cause for the toppled utility poles that left more than 100 Hubbard Township homes without power until about 3 p.m. Monday.

According to reports, a township resident in the 6000 block of Youngstown-Hubbard Road contacted county emergency services around 1:15 a.m. Monday to report an explosion outside her home, and the subsequent loss of electricity.

Less than 15 minutes later, the dispatch received another call — this time that a garbage truck hit downed power lines from a utility pole on the road.

Upon arrival, officials found two poles knocked over between Broadway Street and Bell Wick Road. Meanwhile, more than 100 residents were without electricity in temperatures the National Weather Service reported as low as 33 degrees Fahrenheit.

Around 11:30 a.m., resident Elaine Curra said she and her 89-year-old brother had been without heat since the early morning outage; their furnace, like others in the area, requires electricity.

“The heat’s been out all morning,” said Curra, who wore several layers of clothes and an outer jacket to keep warm.

“We’ll evacuate if they don’t get the electric on [soon],” she said.

Trumbull County 911 services first reported that the outage was caused by a car accident on Youngstown-Hubbard Road, but Todd Coonce, the township’s police chief, said Ohio Edison officials blamed a fallen pole that had rotted at its base. The toppled pole may have caused the next pole to fall, Coonce said.

However, Luann Haddad, Ohio Edison’s Trumbull County manager, would not confirm this as the cause. She said she would need to speak with the supervisor on the site, when power was restored, for a final cause.

Throughout the day, the company diverted electricity from other lines to half the homes without electricity by the time the outage was resolved.

By 3 p.m., nearly a dozen Ohio Edison workers with seven company trucks on the scene replaced the downed poles, wires, and the two transformers.

Both Ohio Edison and township officials confirmed that no vehicle, or car-related damage, appeared to be to blame. Traffic was reopened shortly after power was restored, and township officials said the driver was unharmed.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.