Mayor Williams vows to resolve water issue with Wal-Mart

Published: Fri, August 22, 2008 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Youngstown Mayor Jay Williams

By JOHN W. GOODWIN Jr.

and DAVID SKOLNICK

VINDICATOR STAFF WRITERS

YOUNGSTOWN — Mayor Jay Williams says he expects to come to some type of agreement with Wal-Mart officials concerning water at the proposed new store location on Belmont Avenue — but Liberty Township officials will not be part of discussions leading to that resolution.

Wal-Mart representatives earlier this week expressed concern over moving forward with plans to build the store on Belmont Avenue because of a stipulation in Youngstown’s contract for water services requiring the retailer to hire 25 percent of its employees from the city.

Township Administrator Pat Ungaro and Trustee Jodi Stoyak have said the city would be holding up the project with such language and should consider removing or modifying the language in the interest of getting the project completed. Williams has said the language was created when Ungaro was mayor of Youngstown and would be applied to Wal-Mart just like any other customer.

Now, Williams says he will work with Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart only to come to some resolution.

“Because of the apparent inability of some of the Liberty Township officials who have decided to deny, deflect and blame Youngstown when clearly the ball was dropped there, we are going to work directly with Wal-Mart. I’m confident that will resolve this issue.”

The mayor had telephone conversations with Wal-Mart officials on Friday and Thursday. He will meet with them early next week.

“I’m confident based on conversations we’ve had the matter will be settled to the satisfaction of Youngstown and Wal-Mart,” he said. “We’ll get together and resolve an issue that should never have been an issue to begin with.”

“My biggest issue is Pat Ungaro (regarding his failure to not tell Wal-Mart about the city provision) and Jodi Stoyak with the sky-is-falling” attitude, said Williams.

Stoyak said township officials have long realized that the matter is essentially out of their hands, but she is championing the completion of the project because a lot of local business is depending on it.

“As far as I am concerned, I am grateful that Mayor Williams is willing to cooperate and communicate with Wal-Mart,” she said. “Future projects are pending and people have made large investments based on the Wal-Mart coming to fruition.”

Comments

1INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Hey Bull Crap, before you start blaming the Mayor of Youngstown for the Walmart problem, maybe you ought to get your facts straight.

If Ungaro and his gang would have informed Walmarts of the 25% hiring factor in the 1 st place, this project would be on his way to completion.

2JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

People in the city should stop shooting each other in the face so companies will want to do business there, maybe then they wouldn't have to go to Liberty, Boardman and elsewhere to try to find work.

3INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Gald you boys woke up and came to the party. Since back in the 80's Old Man Grump, Go back and read the guidelines established by the EEOC. Its people like yourself that perpetuate the old line racism.

To Jeff, I could agree more, but we are talking about a small % of thugs, there are many fine citizens of Y- Town and I am one of them. We are trying to do the right thing and we are trying to improve the status of the city despite negative remarks and opinions like yours.

4JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

Trying to do the right thing by defending extortion, though? I mean, that's really what this whole thing is. The only difference is life goes on for Walmart if they don't open a store in Liberty but many, many people in the area have one less chance to be able to better make ends meet -- that's why in addition to being idiotic on the part of the mayor its almost sinful.

No one is saying you're not a good citizen but you have to admit that the only thing that seems to travel safely in Y-town these days is a bullet; not a problem that's likely to solve itself through bullheaded civic pride and denial.

5INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Jeff, I do my part to save mankind, do u want shoot all the blacks in Y- Town. Do you feel this would alleivate the problem. Maybe abort them all. Most whites talk about they don't approve of abortion, but they do believe blacks should be aborted when they need or ask for help later in life. Do you have a solution. I wish I did. I could move to the burbs and I have lived before, not my cup of tea. Probabaly die from pure boredom or lack of diversity.

6Bull_Chip(170 comments)posted 6 years ago

Face POSTED “Someone has to protect the rights of workers in the city and I don't think it would be you or buddy Old Grumpy SOB.”

Let’s start by looking at the facts:

1)Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio attempted to impose a JEDD, Wal-Mart declined to play in that mud pit and Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio said it was all the Libertys fault.

2)Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio attempted to impose a hiring quota on Wal-Mart stating that 25% of the jobs would be filled by Youngstown Ohio residents Wal-Mart declined to play in that mud pit and Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio said it was all the Libertys fault.

Hm, I think I see a pattern developing.

20 years ago this may have worked, but in todays competitive market you can not afford to hire additional employees to cover for unskilled or unwilling mandated employees. In order to “protect the rights of workers” FROM “the city”, you first need to have the opportunity for jobs.

Previous corrupt practices and extortion attempts by Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio have made the city of Youngstown –AND NOW SURROUNDING AREAS—not only unfriendly to businesses, but down right toxic to businesses attempting to open up in the REGION!

This is Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio plan for REGIONALIZATION, bring the entire REGION down to a level of poverty, crime and lack of opportunity not seen anywhere else in the country.

The time has come, either we disassemble the city of Youngstown Ohio as a political entity or abandon the REGION! It is time for all the surrounding communities in Mahoning and Trumbull counties to join together and bring suite against the government city of Youngstown Ohio as a criminal enterprise under RICO statutes.

And FACE, I truly believe that the Vindicator staff should ban you for your frequent and flagrant racist insults and racial slurs.

7INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Bull Chip, " I guess you can't handle the truth "

8JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

Funny how the people who allege racism are the ones that are always bringing up race. Is it easier to perpetuate the problem than to move on in spite of it? Apparently so...best of luck on your quest to save mankind through ignorance. If it rains later today you should blame that on race, too.

9INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Lets be honest with each other, would you guys have critised either George McVelvey or Pat Ungaro when they were mayors of this fine town. You guys say you have businesses to run, I wonder how many minorities you have? How may people in your churchs at the almighty holy 11:00 Sunday are minorities.

Its people like like Jeff, that always want to shift the problem elsewhere..................... I am only trying to point that race is issue. For example Barack Obama will lose in Mahoning County and you know why?

Democrats who always carrried this county will either stay at home or vote for Mc Cain. Now what would you call that if it is not racial.

If say that to me I would say name one!!!!!! And it won't be me.

10JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

There hasn't been a mayor of Y-town in my lifetime that had made a difference, sir; look around you, things didn't go downhill overnight. I don't go to church so I'll have to take your word on that part.

Obama is going to lose in a whole lot more areas than just Mahoning County and he's going to win a lot of places too, reason being that to a large extent the American public are morons. Thus far its a popularity contest rather than a substantive campaign. Some people will vote for him just because of his race in spite of the fact McCain might better represent their best interests (I gather that you will be one of these people).

If I'm out of touch because I don't base everything in life on race, so be it. Are you sure we can't be friends though?

11INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

You hit the nail on head, Y- Town did not become this way overnite. I will vote for Obama or anyone who is not republican. I guess I must be honest, I can not stand much about a republican, Bush, Cheney, Nixon, Reagan, none of these boys did the country much good. They are about Watergate, Iran Gate, Bush Gate, Cheney Gate. It always about contempt for the laws,coverup and deceit. There is not much good I can say about any republican in the last 50 years. So I will be voting for Barack for many reasons to include that he is person of color, why not, you voted for your guys because they were of color. You can't get much worse that Bush. Worse president in the last 75 years and also the dam dumbest.

12JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

Somethings we can agree on: I don't vote Republican either. I also agree about the last 50 years. In fact, I don't think there has been a good Republican since Lincoln.

And yes, Bush is the worst ever.

13Bull_Chip(170 comments)posted 6 years ago

FACE posted “would you guys have critised either George McVelvey or Pat Ungaro when they were mayors of this fine town.”

I will openly criticize any politician who is mismanaging his office and doing harm to those he supposedly serves as well as those around him. I was openly critical the last time the city income tax was raised. I will also praise any politician who consistently performs at or above expectations in his service to those that he serves.

I have adopted the philosophy of a long gone friend, who years ago, at an equal opportunity hearing was asked, ‘how many minorities do you employ?” His response – 1. Well based on the number of employees he had, according to the hearing officials, he should have had at least 5. So, the officials interviewed his employees, and he actually 6 or 7 minorities in his employ. When they asked him why he lied about the number, he replied, “she is the only one who makes sure I know she is a minority”.

FACE also posted “You are a typical out of touch white person who never wants to admit they are racist and if confronted its always I have a friend who is black. If say that to me I would say name one!!!!!! And it won't be me.”

Well FACE, that pretty well says it all. Assuming I am interpreting your post correctly, you say you don’t have any white friends (And it won't be me). I guess diversity is not an issue for you.

Does racism exist? I believe you have successfully proven it does (and in a quite offensive but effective way). But please, let’s get facts straight. The Civil War ended in what, 1866? All slaves were freed from white and black slaveholders by 1867 (yes, there were black slave holders). I believe even the American Indian tribes that had purchased black slaves released them by 1870. That is 138 years ago or about 7 generations.

Why are black populations still emigrating TO America if racism stops them from achieving success? What nation has the highest living standards for blacks, the most wealth (individually and collectively) for blacks and the most successful black residents? The United States of America. Could it be that the real issue here is not the color of the skin, but the content of the character?

You state in another thread that all of your children are making over $100,000 a year and you are comfortably retired from a good job. And you still cry RACISM?

To me you are beginning to sound like a white stooge for Mayor Jay Williams of Youngstown Ohio trying deflect any spotlight on his legion of failings in the most politically expedient manner possible.

FACE, I truly believe that the Vindicator staff should ban you for your frequent and flagrant racist insults, racial slurs and pseudo race baiting.

14INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Ok, Jeff I knew with that name you were OK., and yes we can be friends. I will be moving on to my honey-doo list and I will see u on the net.

15INYOURFACE(33 comments)posted 6 years ago

Bull. you always seems to get the facts turned around to fits your own personal needs. I did not say that I did have white friends as a matter of fact quite a few dating back 40 years. (I said that when a white person is confronted about a serious race issue they always plead " I have black friends" and then I ask them to name one and they are stunned at that point.......kind of like you.)

With repect to the civil war, it might be over for you and your ancesters, but there are still a lot of blacks fighting the war of equity with repect to housing, jobs, education and the like.

You have never been there and I don't think you are hardly qualified to speak about the blight of black people in this country. We are the only race of people that are discrimated based upon sight, based upon sound and based upon association.

So don;t quote me the civil war facts I know the facts even tought we were never taught black history in school [this was forbidden by the white establishment in PA]

And if you like to have me removed from this site, please feel free to do so. I am quite sure you are used to throwing your weight around.

I have other things to do and you appear to be a waste of time and energy. Go talk to your buddy Russ Limbaugh.

16zieg2003(82 comments)posted 6 years ago

Um Jeff you said that people who vote for Obama are morons, meaning you won't be voting for him neither. Doesn't that mean you will be voting for the republican MCcain who is no better than Bush himself.
He doesn't represent any middle class Americans interest, he wants to continue this useless war and continue to give the rich tax breaks which includes these rich oil companies, and being that you and old grumpy seem to believe all of Youngstown is all on welfare. what good would that kind of president do for us.

17JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

I'll vote for Obama for all the reasons you cite but mainly because Kucinich can't win. And no, not all of Y-town is on welfare. Things are definitely not good, though.

18JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

Z: I was occupied during my last post and couldn't get in depth. I said "to a large extent the American people" were morons, never did I or would I single out Obama supporters. In presidential elections of late its been a choice between the lesser of two evils and true merit is trumped by whose commercials are more clever, this time around is no exception -- just my opinion.

Also I have at no time even typed the word "welfare" on any post I've made so I'm not sure what you are referring to in your run-on sentence toward the end (the one before the sentence where you use incorrect punctuation); there is no more middle-class in this country and I couldn't agree more on Bush and McCain, they would both hurt Y-town and most towns with working-class people.

19metz87(884 comments)posted 6 years ago

So now he would to solve the issue? Funny since it would help him to have 25% of the emplyees to be form Yougstown.

20Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 6 years ago

What is it about racism! I just can't understand the reason for all the hate! It's sad what this world is coming to, when EVERYTHING turns to racism, and I'm talking about everyone, is it such a crime to just GET ALONG! The PAST is the PAST, and nothing noone can change what happened so many decades ago! So why keep up the hatred! Is that what we were put on this Earth for? From the Don Imus (who I don't care for) firing to the Rev Jesse Jackson's off air comments about Mr.Obama, not to mention is Preacher and all is forgiven about those comments. This topic is about Walmarts in Liberty, NOT RACISM! And yes I have tons of friends, all humans, and to say there names, awwww, no...that's just wrong on a public forum but if like you can email me and will give you my email address to mention them and you can send them a email to ask about me. I know I'm rambling on but just so SICK AND TIRED OF THE RACISM and the HATRED! Which it always comes down to, and that is so sad in this time. Life is wayyy to short to not just get along! No matter what! Racism I know will never go away but sometimes look in the mirror and try to make a difference instead of holding a grudge. Were on this planet for a short time and Lifes to short to fight and move on with life, each breath we take may be our last! So enjoy life as it is, and cherish the moments were on this planet!

As the late Freddie Mercury wrote and sang

No wrong, no right
I'm gonna tell you there's no black and no white
No blood, no stain
All we need is one world wide vision

God bless everyone.......

21Mimi2BC(147 comments)posted 6 years ago

Bull, as you can see from the voluminous posts on this story and others by InYourFace, you are engaged in an exercise of futility. I wouldn't even bother to respond. Jeff, I believe z confused you with me from a post on another story.

22CBDactivist(123 comments)posted 6 years ago

Part 1

Extortion! The city of Youngstown is using extortion??

Definition; 1) obtaining something by illegal threats: criminal law the crime of obtaining something such as money or information ( water ) from somebody by using force, threats, or other unacceptable methods

The city is not doing they just want to get paid to their water, and the facility that is maintains. They have provided this to the surrounding communities, they maintain the facility, they operate the facility, and when if needs repaired they will repair it. Youngstown has been subsidizing many surrounding communities.

Definition 2) the charging of an excessive amount of money for something.

They are not charging excessive rates, Youngstown is just getting competitive, it is just more that others would like. Nobody likes cost increases, even justified ones such as this. Youngstown is finally acting responsible and not leaving this to the next generation. There are many places that pay these types of rates, and even substantially more. Mayor Jay Williams should be commended for taking a bold albeit unpopular position. This initiative will be good for the entire region if we are to compete is the global world.

23CBDactivist(123 comments)posted 6 years ago

Part 2
Definition 3) the acquisition of something through the use of force or threats

This is a well thought out initiative, a plan that will help not only Youngstown but insure that our neighbors will have a good water supply going forward, all while providing for economic benefits for all. No force or threats, just a workable plan. The opposition just says NO! The proposition is out there for all to accept and decide. The short sighted legislators in our surrounding communities call it extortion, they know that it is unpopular and by opposing it may get them a few votes. They should take the high road and explain that while no one liked higher cost of “ANYTHING” it is reasonable, they should educate their constituency and explain the truth, without doing this the cost would certainly be greater than proposed by the YOUNGSTOWN imitative. Instead, these short term thinkers would have you believe that they could build their own water supply and that they wouldn’t raise your taxes. Not only is that impossible and untrue, but in fact everyone in the regions taxes would go up to maintain a new facility, one that would not be needed if we just worked in cooperation and were honest with one another.
Lastly it is apparent that too many people that don’t live in Youngstown, do not ever have a good word to say about Youngstown, only point out the deficiency of others plan without coming with one of their own, seem to have all the answers, much like we are all losers in Youngstown and should move out. Crime is high, this is bad that is bad, To them I say PLEASE look in the mirror. If you’re not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Why not just go away and let those of us that live and work here continue to work together and be part of the solution process.
This all didn’t happen overnight and it won’t be fixed overnight. But in the words of Magaret Mead “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has”
Please lets begin working together and fixing the great city of YOUNGSTOWN !

24metz87(884 comments)posted 6 years ago

Wh yshould we all fix a city that can't fix itself? And whe nyou say if we ahve to get dirty to get our way and sue al lthe subarbs that are aiianst us what des that seems like? A city that has run out of monry and want us to be it's scapegoat! I live in Austintown and when you use water a a weapon it is never the right thing to do. Funny to own the water lines but in some cases not the water towers themselves. Youngstown has to learn we are not here to bil tem out and they have to fix this on thier own.

25JUST1OPINION(10 comments)posted 6 years ago

I cant believe that in all of these posts that no one is talking about the fact that all Walmarts are parasites on the region the are in. Yes Walmart will help this little stretch of Belmont Ave, but at what cost to local stores. As Walmart opens more people will shop there and the local shops will drop one by one, and instead of your money going to local owner that lives and buys local it will go out of town. On top of that next to nothing they will be offering will be coming from local suppliers, once again sending our money to other places. I know that there are not many places looking to open up in the Youngstown area right now but this is not going to save any part of our economy.

26Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 6 years ago

Seems funny how when the Walmarts opened in New Castle on 224, seems like the plaza BOOMED BIG TIME, and even the ma and pa stores have stores in the plaza, not to mention, Home Depot and the fast food franchises opening there, when there was NOTHING THERE, before Walmarts anchored there. I'm not a big Walmart person, but the jobs and other companies moving in, which was nothing but weeds and 2 or 3 stores at the site, but now it's booming.......area....and always full when I do go that way to the Steelers games....... just wish Rileys Fun Spot would've waited when Walmarts moved in.
But how can you complain about HOW MANY JOBS were created, and what came with it when Walmarts moved when it was nothing but a wasteland!

27JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 6 years ago

You are right on Lifes2Short, andersonathan, et al. Econ 101.

28boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 6 years ago

Just1Opinion said :
" I cant believe that in all of these posts that no one is talking about the fact that all Walmarts are parasites on the region they are in."

Gee, if you replace the words "all walmarts" with "Mayor Jay and Youngstown".............

29dmets(575 comments)posted 6 years ago

I am sorry to do this but it bothers me so much. It is
Wal-Mart, not Wal-Marts.

30MPur1021240(15 comments)posted 6 years ago

What about the simple 6.5% sales tax that would go into the economy in the area that is currently going to other areas?
Has any of you even driven buy the Wal-Mart location in the past two years?

That was the old Phar-More building and it has been EMPTY for years!
How about the corner of Belmont and Trumbull Hill?
Stambaughs is GONE, no competition in the area to blame for it.
K-Mart is also gone!
There used to be a bank there too. GONE!
There is supposed to be plans for a new company moving into this site, but would you build there knowing what is going on with Wal-Mart and JEDD-EYE Jay Williams?
I think not!
So Youngstown's blight will continue to travel up Belmont Ave. and Trumbull Ave. and 422 Etc.
Thank's Mayor Jay; For NOTHING. Literally NOTHING