Hillary Clinton supporters still trying to derail Obama nomination

Published: Wed, August 20, 2008 @ 12:00 a.m.

Scripps Howard News Service

WASHINGTON — A massive e-mail and Internet campaign is under way aimed at derailing the nomination of Barack Obama and making Hillary Clinton the party’s standard bearer next week at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

“It’s downright nasty,” said Memphis, Tenn., superdelegate and city council member Myron Lowery, who has shared dozens of the messages he’s received with The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal newspaper.

“I think it’s divisive for the ‘Support Hillary’ campaign to continue at this time. She made the decision to fully support Mr. Obama,” said Lowery, who initially supported Clinton but later switched his allegiance to Obama. “I don’t know why they’re not taking their cue from Hillary and falling in line.”

Lowery said he does not believe Clinton herself is behind the effort, but that it’s “her supporters, acting on their own because they’re proud of what they have done for her.”

Most of the messages Lowery has received from across the country come from Hillary supporters making the case that she won more voters’ votes in the primaries, she won bigger states, that Obama won states that won’t vote Democratic in November, and that she is the only “electable” Democrat.

“I think it’s a terrible tactic,” said Memphis delegate, Baptist minister and Shelby County, Tenn., Democratic Party Chairman Keith Norman. “We had hoped that this kind of politics, especially from within the party, would have been abandoned.”

A pledged Obama delegate, Norman noted that some of the attacks are overtly racist and that in one instance Obama was likened to “the Anti-Christ.”

“We have a historic moment that we need to grasp and we need to move forward as a unified party,” he said.

Comments

1Gary(1 comment)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

I never thought in all my life I would hope that Hillary Clinton would win the democratic nominee. Anyone is better than that Marxist Obama. At least with Clinton we would only have 4 years of nothing being accomplished rather than 4 years of deterioration of the US if Barak Hussein Obama would get in. Uselessness is better than destructiveness.

2apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

The only marxist (and racist) is Gary who can't provide one shred of proof that Barrack H. Obama is a marxist but I can provide tons of proof that George W. Bush is a moron and McCain is just another Bush term.

3sundistorm(1 comment)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

All my life I have voted Democrat.This year I am voting Republican.Obama does not have the experience to run our country.He will not know how to be our country's leader.I, under no circumstances,will vote for him.

4notosocialism(1 comment)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, but Obama is a socialist! His Global Poverty Act, with the UN, will tax each citizen over $2000 more, in order to give more to Africa...as if we don't give enough now!

Also it will allow the UN to tax us, and to me, that is ending our sovereignty.

His Robin Hood tendencies to take profits from certain companies, and give to the people, smacks of something, don't you think?

If he wins, and this is allowed to happen in the USA, do you think he would stop with taking profits from one company, or continue to take others, if he deems they are too profitable?

I for one, am fed up with our tax dollars given to foreign countries, year after year. Aid in a disaster fine, but to keep taking from us for corrupt foreign countries..NO MORE!

5rintintin(2 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

Evidently a large portion of dhimicrats and a few desperate republicans plus some simpleton independents have been conned by the legal alien but looks like the majority of thinking voters see the indonesian for what he is....a flake! I love it! Cant wait til November so the American-want-to-be gets a real education.....and maybe a real birth certificate! Ha Ha Ha!

6rintintin(2 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh and Apollo, you are an idiot and Gary is absolutly correct. He gets an A, you get an F! Now go to your corner, place your nose in the corner....

7amfm(1 comment)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

Obama does not possess the ability to run an outhouse, never mind the world's greatest nation. 143 days in the senate and a community organizer does not make him eligable for dog catcher in New Hampshire's smallest town. Wake up folks and step away from the Kool-aid. I'm holding my nose for McCain. Though I rather have someone tough on border control and MEANS it, eliminates illegal alians, government spending, willing to take on welfare fraud and damnit, lower taxes. Yes, that includes the .60 cents or so that Washington collects on every gallon pumped in by us fellow Americans as opposed to the measley .08 cents the oil companies get to maintian business which includes payroll (a MAJOR expense) for those not bright enough to understand how a business operates. God bless America and one nation under god! Amen!

8Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

People really kill me! To amfm, so you think that McCain is tough on border control? Well he has 20+ years tenure in Congress and look at the situation now with the borders, it is out of control. So for the past 20 + years, it seems like the border control has gotten weak, and you think McCain, with 20+ years "experience" in Congress is the best choice? Please, that's like going to the same bank investor and giving your money to them and not seeing any profit. Are you still going to think that is the best investor for your interest? Probably not.

And to sundistorm, if you are a Democrat, assuming that HRC was your choice in this election, didn't she say that Obama's views were more aligned with hers than McCain? And also, what federal experience did Bill Clinton have prior to running for President?

So people kill me! You can say that you are not racist, whatever, tell them to some empty jughead. And McCain the POW, ha!! What a joke, when you are a POW, I don't think that you should be admitting to and pouring out everything that you have done to the enemy, regardless of how much you are being tortured by them. He said himself on CNN that he was ashamed for what he did, hopefully he will not be President, who knows what secrets he would tell, if he was captured as Commander in Chief. It won;t be any need for a border control, the enemy will have any info that they wanted, just torture him and he'll spill.

9Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

And to Gary, a true republican, way to use fear. Hopefully Americans will have sense enough to do their own research instead of watching the bias news. If you want to see where these candidates stand on the issues, look at how the vote in Congress, it's public information.

This support Hillary campaign, is stupid. First of all why divide the party. We need to be working together with Obama to defeat the Republicans rather them having him battle against people in the party and the opposing party. If HRC was the best candidate, then she would be the nominee, there was no error in this primary, other than the one caused by FL and MI, which was their own faults. There are rules for a reason and when you break them, deal with the consequences. I cannot wait for this election to be over!

10MarineTank08(3 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

This area needs to rid itself of Democrat ideals. Democrats are becoming more and more socialist. Too much goverment and too little freedom. Over the many year strong hold of Democrats look at the cooruption and the over all state of the area. Im tired of everytime a white person has a negative opinion about Obama its considered racist. Noone wants to speak of the reverse racism that Mccains campaign is receiving. Doesn't anyone find it weird how many black voters are voting for Obama. I have genuine opinion that he is not the man we need in this very important Presidential election. I have just recently been discharged from the Marines. Serving in Iraq and actually knowing the truth about it makes my voting this election so much easier.

11jfuze0905(69 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

"And McCain the POW, ha!! What a joke, when you are a POW, I don't think that you should be admitting to and pouring out everything that you have done to the enemy, regardless of how much you are being tortured by them."

So, Ytown_born_and_bred, can you shed some light on your treatment as a POW? How about your military service at all?

12TB(1167 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

I find it interesting that people are clamoring for smaller government and somehow equating it with the Democrats only. Clinton tried to shrink the government. Bush said he would, yet continues to spend $10 billion plus a month in Iraq alone. Interesting how that works.

The thing that slays me about Clinton supporters not aligning behind Obama is that over 90% of each of their platforms were identical. I wonder what it says about why they were supporting her in the first place and unwilling to support Barack Obama who is espousing many of the same ideas that Clinton supported.

And to those of you decrying socialism, tell me about how bad it is when the roads don't get fixed or another area hospital closes. Deregulation and governmental laissez-faire attitudes don't work because the business community cannot be trusted to police themselves.

13dbb3282(4 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

if jesus was here and running for president the mahoning valley would run him out of the county on a cross and we probaly could not find a cop to protect him because they went home early and don't like to fill out reports

14jla(2 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

HAHA! I love ignorant people like apollo. Tell me, what did Gary say that was racist? Not one thing. Choosing not to vote for Obama based on his politics is not racist. Its funny because nobody talks about him being a black man but him and the other lame liberals. He LOVES to pull the race card. Why? That is basically all he has. He doesn't have enough experience, and he constantly changes his mind because he will do anything to win. Oh and if we are comparing McCain to Bush lets go ahead and start comparing Obama to Jimmy Carter. Lines at the pump anyone? During his four years in the White House, he presided over the worst economic downturn since World War II, allowed a bunch of thugs to seize our embassy and our citizens, and supported Philippine dictator Fernando Marcos, Pakistani General Zia al Huq, Saudi King Faud and many other dictators. Hmmm, seems Obama loves to get in bed with these types too. Dig around in his background and find out. Maybe not though..it might be too late for you if you already drank the Kool-Aid. To MarineTank, thank you for your service, you should know that there are still a lot of us out there that appreciate everything the men and women in the military do for us. I want to end this by saying I am a black woman, yep and I will be voting for McCain because that is what is right for our country. I see right through Obama and I resent his constant use of the race card. He is pushing us back instead of moving us forward. I fear his CONSTANT use of race will only negatively impact my fellow black Americans and make others think its ok to do so. Lame

15Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 5 years, 8 months ago

jfuze0905, I cannot tell you what it is to be a POW, but since I did serve in the military and got out just in time, I can tell you what they teach you: You do not tell the enemy anything, McCain even knows that, which is why he stated out of his own mouth that he was ashamed of what he had done. You give your life to the country and you serve the country, just imagine if every POW told everything when they were captured. How safe would we really be?

16apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Reading the post in support of McCain and the lies being spread about Obama makes me sad. This country is doomed. People are simply not educated enough to make an informed vote. The completely meaningless correlations drawn are amazing and used to support ideas and perceptions that are ignorant at best.

Claiming that there will be gas lines if Obama is elected is ridiculous. Also mentioning the fact that the oil industry is making 8 cents on every dollar spent is meaningless. Actually Exxon made 10 cents on every dollar spent for their product. But liars figure and figures lie. The actual percentage made isn't relevent considering Exxon will make over 50 billion this year and still gets federal tax credits.

Of course Gary is a racist. The arguments against voting for Obama are a smoke screen.

Hillary and Obamas positions are almost identical so anyone who was a Hillary supporter who is considering voting for McCain is foolish.

As for taxes, Obama's plan cuts taxes for the middle class and below and only raises it for the wealthy. A very fair policy considering the transfer of tax burdens from the corporations and wealthy to the middle class and below over the last 25 years.

Obama not experienced enough to be president? Now that's funny. What's Bush's excuse as the worst president of all time? But, of course the Republicans are going to try and use that as a reason for not voting Obama since they certainly can't run on Bush's or McCain's records.

Last but not least, immigration reform??? Yeah, the Republicans have done a great job addressing it since they've been in power! LOL. It has actually gotten worse.

17jfuze0905(69 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Ytown, kudos for your time in the service. I too served my Country for 10 years, and unfortunately, I didn't get out in time to miss anything. I understand what they teach in the military about giving the enemy information, however it is very easy to sit back and teach that if you have never been in that situation. I, for one, am glad that I was never captured or become a POW, because no one knows how they will fair in that situation until they are placed in it.

But, on another note, is it better to give up secrets when you are being tortured or to do it for money and/or prestige?

18Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Please.... don't try to tell any of the posters here what you would do if you became a POW! People say never a lot and they end up eating their words. Unless you have personally lived in the shoes of a POW shut up! As far as this e-mailing nonsense, anyone that takes their political advice from an e-mail is an idiot. By the way, I don't like either candidate for President. They're both sub-par candidates in my book.

19TB(1167 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Saying Obama is constantly playing the race card is a lie and a smokescreen. He rarely references his race in his speeches and releases. The people that constantly turn it into an issue are his opponents, simply trying to stir up animosity.

20hillary08(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I heard that Obama didn't even consider Hillary for VP. What is up with the guy? Is he sexist or just a real egomaniac?

He lost my vote for sure. Especially after reading how he likes "distribution of wealth". What is he a Communist?

21jfuze0905(69 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Mimi2BC,

Are you addressing me or Ytown?

22Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

jfuze.... y-town was my rebuttal subject. He has already provided that he has never been a POW. I don't know about you. I still won't judge anybody put in that position. I sure wish they would keep what they know out of enemy hands, but, again I haven't been in that position. And before you ask, retired veteran, USAF, Gulf Storm Veteran, Intel.

23Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Mimi2bc, maybe you need to look over what I wrote, not once did I say if I was a POW this is what I would do. And since you were in the USAF, what did you learn about what you are to do when you are a POW? Do you tell all to the enemy or not? So maybe you need to shut up abnd think about what you were taught, you defend your country at all costs, period. We have military secrets for a reason, if we wanted the enemy to know we would broadcast it on one of the bias news channels and FYI, John McCain SAID that he was ashamed of what he did, I didn't make that up either.

To jfuze, neither is correct, but I am positive that we have some people in the administration that have done it along with other federal agencies. To keep it real, there is so much that goes on that we do not know about.

I for one am tired of the Republicans, and to be honest I am tired of many members of Congress, now, they do and give away tihngs for money and prestige.

Kudos to everyone that has served in the military.
And Mimi, I don't know what made you think I was a man, But I am a Black woman.

24VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Obama as President. Think about it. Will his "Change" method really work? The critical instrument is the ability to work with Congress and others in Leadership rolls of our government. I do not see him as having the ability to work in a Bi-partisan relationship. Bush didn't. I believe that Mc Cain has that ability, as he is not from the mainstream of his party. Bi-partisanship is very important today in operating our government effectively and Obama will drive our politicians further apart, similar to what we currently have...a do-nothing Congress and a holed-up President. Good luck, may the best man win.

25apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

OK VINDYAK, what makes you believe that Obama won't or can't work in a bi-partisan fashion? And what makes you believe that McCain can? Hunch maybe? A little fairy on your shoulder telling you so?

A black man at Harvard by necessity has to work in a compromising way or not lead the law review.

Are we again going to elect the dumbest of the 2 candidates? Is anti-intellectualism now the norm in America? If so, then we have little chance at a future.

26isaac45(257 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

god, what a bleeped town, hopefully the next president will drop a bomb on us and put us out of our misery

27Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Y-town, I didn't give a second thought to whether you were male or female. I used he as a generic term. I most certainly don't care about your race. As I said before, I refuse to judge someone when I haven't had to walk in their shoes. I was taught to give minimal details that would identify me. If I judged people without having lived the life I'd be very busy being judgemental. And read my initial posting I said you can't possibly know what you would do in any situation... you can only hope that you would do the right thing. Since you haven't been in the military, all people holding military clearance only have access to certain areas of information. Nobody in the military ever has the entire picture. So unless they(the enemy) round up a lot of people w/o overlapping clearance levels their not getting the whole picture either.

28jla(2 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

First of all Apollo, Obama's tax plan does not call for higher taxes just for the wealthy. Thats what he spoon feeds you but check your research. Second, over taxing the rich is a TERRIBLE idea for our economy. The top 10% of the wealthiest people in this country account for over 25% of all domestic spending. Raise their taxes and everybody suffers because they stop spending as much money. That would create a trickle down effect. This is when people start getting laid off..the economy is bad enough as is without adding Robin hood ideals to it. Most people who are rich got that way by working hard, starting their own companies etc. Some of these people employ 1,000's. Start taking bigger chunks of their money and watch what happends. Not only do they spend less on items like cars, clothes, entertainment, and restaurants but they hire less frequently and possibly even lay people off. Spending less on items like I mentioned above might not seem important but it hurts the people who manufacture these items which in turn hurts the employee's who work for the manufacture. Nobody buying cars..people at the plant get laid off then. See where I am going with this? What is your deal with calling people racists anyways? As I stated above I am a black woman so what is my smoke screen? You love that race card just as much as Obama, maybe even more.

29Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Y-town, I know McCain feels ashamed over what transpired, as I'm sure anyone would. I just don't have any hate over what he did. As for my service..... I DID my duty and I did it very well. I find it apalling that someone that has never served has the audacity to tell someone that did sacrifice for for YOU what they did wrong. Even done wrong it's more than you did. So, once you have enlisted and served you can come at me with how it should be. I was not the only person in my family to have served, everyone in my immediate family with the exception of my mother and grandmothers has served. I am proud of them and myself!

30Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Y-town, before you post that you did serve.... I know, you said you did but it doesn't seem like you took much away from your experience.... I certainly came out the other side with a very different view of the military life and the true sacrifice that people go through. So, again, I know you said you served so you can leave that out of your rebuttal to me..... by the way what branch and "you got out just in time", when was that? Did you get out before you had to truly give of yourself for your country?

31Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Umm, lets see mi, #1 the same branch that you did, and #2 right before the idiot in office decided to declare war in Iraq. I took a lot from my experience, which is why I know that you are not suppose to tell all to the enemy, and McCain said it himself that he was ashamed, not me. I did 8 wonderful years! And I served, my mother served, my father, my 2 uncles, my 2 cousins, and 3 of my best friends served as well, so what is the point. I never said that I wasn't proud, I have a different perspective of the military, just because I was in that doesn't mean I have to shout for joy as you seem to do.

I do not agree with him, I can say if I was in his position I would do this and that, I'm not, the only thing that I will do is whatever comes to mind at the time, all I know that is if my President is in a tough position, then I would not want him doing something that will jeopardize the country that I live in. If I served in the military, then I must say, yes I truly gave myself to the country, 8 years of myself. You don't know my experience with the military, the things that I may have put up with or the things my mother, father, uncles or cousins, maybe based on what I have went thru and what they experienced, maybe that's what is shaping my judgement about POWs, so maybe you need not be so judgemental. I don't know what color you are, but being Black in the military, ain't that much different than being Black in America as a civiian.

32Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Y-town.... I'm being judgemental? I have said over and over I WON'T judge anybody in that position. I also don't judge you for your views. I just happen to disagree. So why don't you take your own advice and stop being judgemental. Lastly, race has nothing to do with this conversation, although you keep trying to make it an issue. I thank you and yours for your time in service and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

33edh923(3 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Why don't we just name Hillary "QUEEN OF AMERICA"? She ran a very nasty campaign and was caught in so many lies. GET OVER IT,YOU LOST!

34clayor(281 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Hello folks, FOX just dropped a BIG Obama bomb, which is totally true. His affiliations have been very questionable. so far, but now they have the facts to prove them true. If this shakes out like I suspect it will, there just may a total uprising when it comes time for the roll call vote. No doubt Hillary and Bill knew this was coming.....they probably instigated it, but it is what it is. Facts don't lie. She may be a btch, but she is not anti-American nor has ever been, thats one thing I will give her credit for. I personally don't like her or voted for her, but....if this all comes to fruition, she might be the better person .

35dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

All i know is Obama nor McCain is the best choice for President. But these are the two we are left with, so your need to vote on the lesser of two evils. In my eyes McCain is exactly the same as Bush and after 4 years of his dad and 8 of him, i'm ready for someone and something different. I know McCain has more experience, but he's an old man who is going to have tons of stress and pressure on him. Obama my be young, but so was JFK, and he was a really good president. I think too many people are sitting on here lying through their teeth making excuses to why they are voting of McCain and not Obama. I think most people are scared or not voting for him cause is not a white man.

36Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Yea, again we are back to race. They both are bad choices. McCain because he really stands for the same old, same old and Obama because he lacks any true experience not to mention some questionable personal associations. And please, Obama is no JFK.

37dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Mimi2BC i never said he was JFK. But those people believed in someone young and with not that much experience. If you do research you will see that JFK was a senator for eight years before becoming president. He won to be president by a small margin. Then once he took office Americans backed him. So see back then people took a change and it paid off. I think having someone young and not as experienced, like Obama, is a good thing. He has not been in the mix long enough to be turned and brainwashed yet. And I know you say here it is back to race. Why not talk about the hugh elephant sitting in the room? There are alot of people out there with the old way of thinking. I wasn't born yesterday.

38Hope4TheYo(6 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Let's put this in perspective. The middle class is really being screwed with no vaseline. True, Obama doesnt have a ton of experience, which is why Biden is his VP choice. Hillary and Obama's plans are pretty much aligned so unless you'll be the one to benefit from McCain's wipeout of the middle class, I see why you'd vote, you'll always win. However, if you're an ordinary person, you better turn colorblind or you'll see what really matters. We saw how the past 8 years have been? Are you loving it? Running out of vaseline yet?

39OhioPerson(76 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Ok here's a list of thoughts for yall:

1. FOX news is not a reliable source for information. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqdtZ...
2. Obama is a natural born citizen of the US as much as McCain is. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/...http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/pol...
3. Socialism is merely an economic system: the same economic system we use to build roads, libraries, schools, police, fire depts. It is purposely confused with totalitarian scary badness because some nations with a socialist economy in recent history were ALSO totalitarian in their governance, but socialism does NOT refer to a form of government like monarchy, democracy, republic, libertarian, anarchist, police state, etc. The word "socialism" is maligned by corporations (e.g. the media) because socialism goes against the idea of corporate bureaucracies running citizen lives, profiting off the poor, and executive pay gaps like we see today. http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/28/news/...http://matadortravel.com/node/74358
4. Hillary loves corporations and their money as much as Bush or McCain or Obama. http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/con...

40JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

Say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos

41Mimi2BC(146 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

dmets.... I think both candidates are sub-par, no matter their skin color. I'm utterly at a loss this year. I don't want to see either of them in the White House.

42char_renee(1 comment)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

i'll never vote for obama after being harrsed by a.c.o.r.n at the caucus and cheating hillary in the primaries!

43dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Obama 08! hillary is backing him 100% so should her supporters1 Quit being so bitter, Hillary lost fair to Obama. I was a hugh Hillary supporter, but now I am for Obama. We can not afoord another Bush in office which is exactly what McCain represents.