Dann's e-mails show silly chatter, banter with top aide

Published: Tue, April 22, 2008 @ 9:39 a.m.

The Vindicator, along with major newspapers from across Ohio, were given 2,200 emails Monday night from Attorney General Marc Dann's office. The emails are between him and his scheduler, Jessica Utovich, and were released as part of the ongoing investigation into sexual harassment claims against one of Dann's top aides, Anthony Gutierrez of Liberty.

In the initial complaint against Gutierrez, it was indicated that Utovich was at Dann's condo late at night, setting off media interest in any email exchanges between the two. Three months of emails were released tonight. It's not immediately clear why these three months were selected. Dann took office 16 months ago.

Below is a sample of some of the email exchanges. Read The Vindicator Tuesday for more coverage. We'll update more emails on vindy.com as worthy.

SINGLE EMAIL

Tuesday, Sept. 4

From: Jessica Utovich

To: Marc Dann

Please do not EVER tell me to stop acting emotional. I try to do my job to the best that I can and you s**t on it. I try my hardest to make sure you are taken care of, do what you need too and prioritize only to have you complain and change everything without telling anybody. Your emotional crap is what makes everyone else miserable. I'll stop being so emotional if you let me do my job and stop taking things out on me and other people here.

SINGLE EMAIL

Wednesday, Sept. 19

From: Jessica Utovich

To: Marc Dann

You realize every time that you tell someone to do something re: your schedule, within this office, it allows them to continue to go behind our backs and create more problems. I put so much stuff on this afternoon and would have been more than willing to put on her other stuff - I already added her in 2x today! This is crap.

EMAIL EXCHANGE 1:

Sept. 6, from noon to sometime after 1 p.m.

From: Jessica Utovich

To: Marc Dann

I would like to ask you to please consider not yelling at me in front of the floor. Please address all problems via email/in-person, or better yet to Ed, Tom, Colleen and/or Leo who can then address me. Again, I try my best to make sure everything is taken care of, including the perception that comes along with the scheduling aspect (being on time, making staff aware, making the others aware, making the security and drivers aware, the trickle-down effect it has on everything after it).

I appreciate constructive criticism and confrontation when things are not working properly as I like to do the best that I can and try to make arrangements to your liking. However, I do not appreciate being yelled at in front of everyone. If I'm doing that bad of a job where everyone needs to know, then maybe we should talk.

From: Marc Dann

To: Jessica Utovich

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have had that conversation in that manner. I tried to talk to you earlier. You became totally defensive and my anxiety level increased dramatically because of those unresolved issues.

REPLY 2

From: Jessica Utovich

To: Marc Dann

What unresolved issues?

REPLY 3

From: Marc Dann

To: Jessica Utovich

From this mornings attempted conversation

REPLY 4:

From: Jessica Utovich

To: Marc Dann

Uh huh. I didn't realize there were unresolved issues from this am.

EMAIL EXCHANGE 2

Sept. 11, from 6:43 p.m. until after 7:12 p.m.

From: Officer staffer

To: Marc Dann

Can we please send Jessica someplace for a couple of days? (Even if it's just a hotel in Indy with a nice pool and bar.) I really think she needs a few day away from the office to destress and relax (without her Blackberry and/or cell).

REPLY 1:

From: Jessica Utovich

To: Marc Dann

Did you reply? I do want to get away, but not with him.

REPLY 2:

From: Marc Dann

To: Jessica Utovich

You are so sensitive I wanted your permission to reply

REPLY 3:

Hi Pot - I'm Kettle. What are you going to say?

Comments

1JannyB(2 comments)posted 6 years, 6 months ago

This man is a disgrace. I love the reference of the pot and the kettle. Seems like your buddy may end up as a sex offender (and maybe you?) Good thing you worked so hard on pushing through the Adam Walsh Act even though it was blatanly unconstitutional. Now you may have to reap what you've sown. Poetic justice.....

2BELLAMY(4 comments)posted 6 years, 6 months ago

Attorney General Marc Dann will come out of this with No Problems!
“Get Off of His Jockstrap”

I have nerve seen so much hate for a hometown boy who made it big. So many of you have acted like your hands are so clean and that you are above it all. Marc Dann’s election victory benefits everyone in this valley simply because it shows that there is enough brain power in this region to win a state wide election. At no time have I heard any of our media people say anything in support of Dann and that is sad!

Many of you have pulled and pocked at him from day one of his election. I know that it is a newsworthy story but show that you respect this area by attempting to support your own Hometown Boy no matter what!

3valleyred(1098 comments)posted 6 years, 6 months ago

It's time for Dann to go. How does this look in the eyes of all the other voters in the state when they see Dann's Youngstown friends are fooling around in office, and Dann covering them up. It makes Youngstown look like crap again...

Absolute disgrace to a spot he said he'd cleanup, esp. in regards to corruption. Well Dann, clean yourself up because a Republican will be taking your job in 2010.

4TYzzer(2 comments)posted 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, yet another group of Youngstowners making fools of themselves. Reminds me I left the area....Thanks for the reminder..