Ex-judge Cronin pleads guilty; view arrest video here

Published: Wed, September 12, 2007 @ 11:24 p.m.
  Cronin Police Tape

Maureen Cronin Police Tape

Maureen Cronin Police Tape

CANFIELD — When Maureen A. Cronin starts driving again, the retired judge’s car will have yellow license plates that signify a multiple drunken-driving offender.

She’ll also have an ignition interlock device on her dashboard that will measure her alcohol concentration when she blows into it. If the reading is acceptable, the car will start.

Cronin, 54, of Canfield Road, was charged with OVI, operating a vehicle impaired, after being stopped by an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper at 11:54 p.m. Sept. 5 for a “marked lane” offense — weaving. She was pulled over on state Route 11 in Beaver Township.

Cronin resigned from her position as a part-time instructor at Youngstown State University on Sept. 6, said Ron Cole, YSU spokesman.

Cronin appeared in Mahoning County Area Court here this afternoon and pleaded guilty to the OVI charge. It’s her second — she also pleaded guilty to OVI in April 2005 in Boardman. She was still on the Mahoning County Common Pleas bench at the time and retired in July after 13 years.

Cronin smiled at reporters as she entered the courtroom today, but let her Youngstown lawyer, Scott R. Cochran, speak on her behalf afterward.

He said his client has some alcohol issues and wants to deal with them appropriately. He asked that everyone respect her privacy.

Part of her sentence, he said, is an alcohol assessment followed by whatever treatment is recommended.

In a plea agreement accepted by Judge Scott D. Hunter, Cronin, aside from the special plates and ignition interlock, begins 18 days’ electronically monitored house arrest Thursday. At some point after alcohol assessment, she must serve five days in jail.

If Cronin violates her one-year probation, the judge can impose the 157 jail days he suspended. Her car is immobilized for 90 days, and her driver’s license is suspended for one year with occupational driving privileges.

Comments

1apollo(1227 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Amazing that this is the best and the brightest the mahoning valley has to offer. We are in serious trouble.

2zbd(2 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree. I enjoy reading the comments following articles; however, the objective word is “read”. I do not enjoy slogging my way through the illiterate and incomprehensible ramblings of a bitter, unhappy soul. Comment, please, but do so with a modicum of self-respect and comprehension for how you present yourself.

3tinny(2 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

zdb.....it's the wonderful right to express oneself no matter how you may feel it doesn't meet your standards. This woman has produced a lot of sour grapes over the years and is going to have many many harsh comments....some well deserved. She was a mean, ruthless individual. (inside and outside the courtroom) She didn't care what she said about people or how she said it. So if you don't like how something is written then just don't read it.

4zbd(2 comments)posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Tinny.....Your comment appears to be a bit hypocritical seeing as how you didn’t like what I wrote. Please take your own advice and not read it. I have no trouble with anyone's right to expression. I heartedly encourage expression, even if it is against my viewpoint. I enjoy reading all viewpoints for both their entertainment and educational value. Further, I am aware of Maureen Cronin, both personally and as a judge. I am very aware of the views many hold of her and some of them do not differ so much from my own. My problem with the earlier comment was not with the view or emotions expressed. My problem was with the shoddy work in expressing such emotion and view. Unintelligible expression short circuits the viewpoint being expressed and reflects poorly upon the person doing the expression. Computers have grammar and spell check, so it is very easy to check before posting a comment.

5balucci5(3 comments)posted 6 years, 11 months ago

I think EX judge cronin was let off to easy .Lets look at this in a different way.She sat on the bench made decisions DRUNK? peoples lives were changed and nobody questions her decisions. I think all her cases should be reviewed? I think she made bad very bad judgements and other people are paying the price. WHERE O WHERE is justus.PS If the vindy wants to use my username for this artical it's OK. balucci5