Here are milestones of the Salem Historical Society and Museum.
1947: Salem Historical Society Inc. is formed after two friends, Roy W. Harris and Frank Yengling, discovered during a chance meeting that they both thought the city needed a historical society. One of the 44 original members, Bernice Melitschka, is still active.
1971: W. Ray Pearce, a charter member of the society, gives his property for the society’s first home.
1975: The society buys the adjoining house, which is then connected to the first.
1979: A large meeting room is added to the museum at 208 S. Broadway Ave.
1988: Freedom Hall, a replica of Liberty Hall in Salem that was the meeting place for the Western Headquarters of the Anti-Slavery Association, is build at the rear of the museum property.
1992: A garage and 1923 car are refurbished.
2007: Society celebrates its 60th anniversary.
Source: Salem Historical Society and Museum