House fire in May on East Side claims life of girl, 12

YOUNGSTOWN — The house fire at 2486 McCartney Road on May 23 has claimed the life of 12-year-old Daresha Brown, said fire Capt. Alvin Ware. He said the girl died Wednesday at St. Elizabeth Health Center. Her grandmother, Marleen Felder, 54, who uses a wheelchair, was transferred to a nursing home after being hospitalized, Ware said. The fire was caused by boys playing with a lighter that ignited their toy box.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.