Liberty Wal-Mart project may go on hold
By JOHN W. GOODWIN
VINDICATOR TRUMBULL STAFF
LIBERTY — Township officials have received word that the much-anticipated Wal-Mart project may be placed on hold.
Those working toward getting the super store, however, say it’s still coming.
Township Administrator Patrick Ungaro said township officials received word from Wal-Mart spokesmen that plans to bring the store to the 3000 block of Belmont may be placed on hold. The memo, he said, also said the plans could be switched back to “go” at any time.
Ungaro said those working on the project have informed him that delays in the building process are not all that uncommon. He said he is confident that the store will still open its doors in the township.
Earlier this week, Fire Chief Michael Durkin approved plans to tear down the structure where the store will be built. The section of the Liberty Plaza building to be torn down, he said, is also empty except for a section rented by Forum Health.
Forum, he said, acquired a 30-day extension before it must vacate.
The land is also set to be transferred to Wal-Mart as early as Monday, Ungaro said.
“The plans are approved. The land will be transferred and everything is ready to go,” Ungaro said.
Township leaders have anticipated the project for more than two years.
Ungaro has said other businesses are waiting to see if the project comes to fruition before deciding if they should open stores in the township as well.