Girl saves brother who got tangled in leash



WARREN -- Quick action by a 12-year-old girl saved her younger brother from accidentally hanging himself.
City police were sent to 4307 Tod Ave. N.W. on Saturday morning to find paramedics treating 9-year-old Matthew Gushura. A cut dog leash and scissors were found nearby.
Matthew told police he was playing mountain climber on the stairs when he fell. Somehow the leash got tangled around his neck and was choking him.
His 12-year-old sister, Samantha, told police she was on the couch watching television, which is near the stairs, when she heard some noise.
She turned to see her brother gasping for air and turning purple. She told police she ran into the kitchen, got the scissors and cut him down before calling 911.
Matthew was treated at St. Joseph Health Center. Their mother wasn't home at the time, but was en route, police said.

More like this from vindy.com

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.